[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC not booting up: no display, no usb power, fans working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: 1W6H2gO.jpg (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1W6H2gO.jpg
163KB, 1920x1080px
I'm not sure whether it's a short or damaged part. I'm not even sure which part is causing the issue.
The build: Asus M5a99FX pro R2.0, AMD FX-6300, a 8 gb ram, a R9 285, 550W PSU. Have 1 SSD connected, others are out.
the motherboard speaker indicates 1 long and 2 short beep (indicates video error)

The fans on my graphic cards are working though.
>>
>>178081
Did you look up that beep code up in your manual?

If you think it's the video card, swap it out and see if your computer works.
>>
>>178081
You've not connected the GPU power right.

This thread appears every week, and the answer is always "you've not connected the GPU power right".
>>
i think the GPU is right cuz the fans are spinning, they're getting power... i changed the slots and reconnected the power etc. also wiped off the dust. what else do?
>>
>>178123
Just because the fans are getting power doesn't mean there isn't some issue with the GPU.

I'm still wondering how you concluded that 1 long, 2 short on that motherboard means a video error.
>>
from here: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
the manual doesn't have anything on this
>>
>>178126
That's fucking brilliant. "It means video error on some other computer so it must mean that on mine."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Asus+M5a99FX+beep+codes
>>
>>178126
error codes are not consistent between mother board.
Try to boot your PC without GPU. You'll see immediately if it's the problem or not.
>>
that site lists a variety of motherboards, and that signal means video error for most of them. I still don't know what type of mobo is mine, couldn't find it in the manual.
it's an AMD, doesn't have on-board graphics so can't by-pass the card either.
any other ideas?
>>
>>178397

is this a new build?

You might have to flash your BIOS to support the FX-6300. Unfortunately you can't do that while you have an unsupported CPU installed so you have to fit a supported CPU and then flash the BIOS and reinstall your FX-6300.
>>
>>178397

>that site lists a variety of motherboards, and that signal means video error for most of them. I still don't know what type of mobo is mine, couldn't find it in the manual.

The link provided by >>178132 takes you straight to the beep codes FOR YOUR MOBO, which is the Asus M5a99FX pro R2.0, as mentioned in your OP.

At this point this is starting to look like a troll thread.
>>
http://office.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/asus/m5a99fx_pro_r20.html?p=72

There's your beep codes. Bad memory.
>>
>>178450
not a new build, just moved into a new place and it wasn't working. I cleaned it though, so had disconnected a few components except CPU and heatsink
>>
>>178456
there are multiple types of boards there, only the phrasing is different but 1 long and 2 short beep mean video error, like I said, already tried switching PCIe slots (i have 4) and brushed off dust. at this point, I think it's a hardware issue but still not sure whether I should send the mobo for a replacement or the GPU. Or is it just an issue on my side, I can post more pics if that'll help.

But not trolling, that PC is my love!
>>
just to avoid confusion, i'm not sure the beep signal means video error, that's the most likely one. I still haven't been able to find the beep meanings for my mobo.
>>
>>178489
i one post i found it means no memory detected
http://superuser.com/questions/783082/beep-codes-definition-for-asus-motherboard

in the sites, I found video error to be the more common interpretation.

Where can I find the Beep Codes for Asus MX5A99FX R2.0 or find which standard of beep code it follows
>>
>>178500
Hellooo? I posted it already >>178477
>>
>>178500

How many sticks of RAM do you have?

If more than one, try taking some out and trying combinations until the beeps stop or change.
>>
>>178514
>http://office.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/asus/m5a99fx_pro_r20.html?p=72
Hi, apologies for missing your comment, yeah seems like it's bad memory.. i'm too drunk to fix this, i'll try changin slots in the morning, someone suggested cleaning the copper plates too with something like an eraser, so i'll try that as well. Getting RMA is a bitch in my country so wanna try all alternatives first, thanks a ton
>>
>>178601
i have only 1 8gb module, no one around me has a desktop ram so i don't have alternatives to test it. is there a way to know whether the issue is with my ram or mobo?
>>
>>178081
Is your BIOS firmware up to date?
>>
>>178622
it probably was updated a few months ago, the pc was pretty much unused meanwhile
>>
>>178618
This is why you should always get two sticks. It's most likely the ram. It would have to be weirdly specific damage to the mobo to have everything but the ram working.
>>
>>178618

By far the easiest way is to use another stick of RAM, but you can't do that.

Maybe take it to a computer shop that offers free quotes for repairs and hope they tell you what the problem is before you tell them you can't afford it and disappear with the answer to your problem.

That's worked for me in the past.
>>
>>178626

Yeah, it's not going to be the mobo.
>>
>>178653
>>178626
>It would have to be weirdly specific damage to the mobo to have everything but the ram working

No it wouldn't. RAM isn't even accessible until relatively late in the boot process, after the BIOS enumerates and enables it. Until then, everything is running out the L2.

A simple failure of something like the RAM voltage regulator (still used, even when the memory controller is on the CPU) would knock out the RAM but leave the rest of the motherboard functioning perfectly.

In fact, the BIOS (running in the L2, remember) would be able to flag this as a memory init error.
>>
>>178653
>>178632
>>178626
ok guys, I think I'll buy another ram and try that. if it works then I replace older ram to get total of 16gb ram, if it doesn't work then I have 16gb ram anyways and replace the mobo.

Any other solution is welcome. I still have 5 days to paycheck
>>
>>178951

Good idea, let us know what happens, even if it works.
>>
>>178951
Did you try removing the RAM stick, cleaning dust from the socket or tarnish/corrosion off the contacts, and reseating the RAM?

Don't be one of those dipshits that spits all over their computer. If you can't afford a can of compressed air, use a clean toothbrush.
>>
>>179017

See >>178616
>>
>>179017
>>179022
yup did all that, the DIMM OK led on my mobo is red.. so something's screwed up there. I didn't realise before that it's supposed to be green.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.