[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pls help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Sony_VAIO_Pro_13_35781040_06.jpg (33KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
Sony_VAIO_Pro_13_35781040_06.jpg
33KB, 770x433px
I bought a used Sony Vaio Pro 13, and it's fan is loud as hell, and I mean it sounds like a hoover even without any programs open. Just now I had the laptop on sleep mode just charging, and suddenly the fan starts blowing on full power. I turned it on and put it back to sleep and it stopped. But is there a way to fix it? Could I take it somewhere to change the fan and would that cost a fortune?
>>
do you have enough confidence to unscrew the base, open it up and reveal the fan? if you can, blow the dust out and put a drop of sewing machine oil in the spindle; that might help. replacing fans in laptops is like doing dental surgery on piranhas.
>>
>>176430
Hell no I'd have no idea what I'm doing and I don't have any oil to put in. Guess I'll take it somewhere. I'm also considering sending the seller a message that I want some money back since I even asked before buying if the fan is loud and they just said "no no some noise but just on a normal level"
>>
spray it out with compressed air

check the bios or system settings for a fan option
>>
>>176439
>compressed air
Dunno if this would work, the bottom of the laptop is solid and the only grills are on the side so they're very slim. Blowing air in might just push any dust further in?

>check the bios or system settings for a fan option
Yeah good idea, will do
>>
>>176430
>>176432
No, no, no!

Don't oil fans. Replace fans.

Not all bearings are even designed to accept oil (think of the fluid dynamic bearings in your hard disks; fans use them too). You might ruin the fan by servicing it, and to what end? Saving money on a $5 part in a laptop that costs hundreds of dollars.
>>
Been googling and I think the loud noise could be just because of dust? I've never opened a laptop or done anything with computers really, should I worry about static electricity if I open it? How do I not break it, give me tips
>>
Also this laptop came with Win 8, I'm now installing 8.1 but it's been setting up at 82% for almost 30 minutes, not sure if this is normal
>>
File: YvmFOlWHAtXAX3n6[1].jpg (389KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
YvmFOlWHAtXAX3n6[1].jpg
389KB, 1600x1200px
>>176428
>>176462
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqg7kJjE9NE

iFixit also has some pictures: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Sony_Vaio_Pro_13.

The only things I'd do differently is use some kind of screw-organising method, and maybe remove the battery too. He slips the fan bracket in and out from under the battery, but it looks like the battery comes out easy enough, which would simplify the fan mounting to simply dropping it in (this is almost certainly the order it's done in the factory).. On the other hand, you'd then have to re-mount the battery to test the fan, and you've disconnected more components, which means more potential for stuff to go wrong. So either way is perfectly valid. If it were my first laptop, I'd go slowly, and take the battery out too.

Something that will greatly help is if you go to your dollar store and get a pill-organiser, and print out a grid corresponding to the compartments. Every different type of screw at every different stage, drop it in a new compartment, and label on the paper where it came from. Also take your laptop to the hardware store, and test each #0 Philips screwdriver to see which one fits the screws most precisely.

I don't think you necessarily need to replace the whole assembly; I think the fan only should suffice, but he's right when he says that doing the whole lot is less faff than trying to unmount and remount a fan. Use some decent thermal compound: you might as well given how much effort it is to get in there. Arctic MX-4 is perfectly acceptable; it doesn't need to be made of unicorn dust and penguin's tears.
>>
>>176465
>normal
Probably, yeah. Just leave it and come back.

If it's not done after a day or so, switch it off and on again, and it'll roll-back the install.
>>
>>176471
Right, I was too impatient. It did continue, still setting up but didn't get stuck like I thought.

>>176470
Thanks for the video, it looks really helpful though I'm not sure if I want to open this after all, I just don't think I'm up to the task. I will do it myself rather than take it somewhere since this looks doable, but I'm waiting for the Win upgrade to finish so I can first see if some settings would help with the fan. And thanks for all the tips, I'm saving your post for further reference.

>it doesn't need to be made of unicorn dust and penguin's tears
Well that's a relief. Though regarding thermal compounds, I wouldn't know what to do with it, I don't see the guy on the video putting any goo in?
>>
>>176479
It's right before he puts the new fan module in. He's using generic stuff from a paper sachet, like you'd get salt in.

Looking at the component, it appears to already come with thermal wax fitted, which means that adding compound too would be the wrong thing to do. If it does indeed come with grey waxy blocks on it, then all you do is peel off any backing paper protecting the wax, then screw the part in. The first time it gets hot, the wax melts, gets pushed out by the springiness of the mounting bracket, and forms the thermal joint.

You can still use compound, but you'd have to take the wax off first. And if you're planning on reusing the same heatsink, you'd need to take the wax off and replace it with compound, because thermal wax is one-time use only.

To fit it using compound, clean the chips and the contact plate of the heatsink with isopropanol (you can also use those single-use screen-cleaning wipes), then put a tiny drop of compound (the size of a sushi-rice grain, or the end bit of a headphone plug) on each chip, then just press the contact plate straight down and screw it in without moving it.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>176428
>>176479
If the fan's just running really hard, and not making scary "I'm a sad fan" noises, you can probably get away with taking it apart, taking the fan off the radiator, and getting all the dust out the fan and radiator.

To get at the bit between the fan and radiator where all the dust gathers, you'll need to peel back the tape on the underside of it. If you're planning on blowing it out with an air duster, either remove the tape entirely, or stick it to one of those sheets blutack comes stuck to, or all the dust will stick to it, and the fan won't stick back together.

You'll need to use new thermal compound to re-fit the fan. You can get Arctic MX-4 for less than $10, and a 4g tube is enough to mount tens of heatsinks.
>>
>>176484
>>176487
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into all this on better time.

>If the fan's just running really hard
Yeah it's not making any weird noises, just on full blast with no reason.
>>
>>176440
>implying that the base plate of the laptop would be taken off before using the compressed air
>>
>>176547
That's not what I meant. It's just that my other laptop has big ventilation grills on the bottom, so I think blowing air in and around there would be easy. But this Vaio only has one tiny grill on the side, so I don't see where all the dust would come out if I just blew air inside it.
>>
File: 3380598196_fa11358a82[1].jpg (144KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
3380598196_fa11358a82[1].jpg
144KB, 500x375px
>>176553
>>176547
It's like you guys have never seen inside a laptop fan before.

Where do you think the dust is going to go? If you don't take it apart, you're just moving the dust around inside the fan duct, and the fan will just blow it right back into the radiator again.
>>
>>176555
>It's like you guys have never seen inside a laptop fan before.
Well I haven't. I have no clue about the insides of computers, why else would I make a thread like this?

>Where do you think the dust is going to go? If you don't take it apart, you're just moving the dust around inside the fan duct, and the fan will just blow it right back into the radiator again.
Well that's what I thought.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.