[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I know a tiny little bit about computers, enough to get by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: 1469070825861.jpg (91KB, 640x677px) Image search: [Google]
1469070825861.jpg
91KB, 640x677px
So I know a tiny little bit about computers, enough to get by doing my own tech support, but when it comes to networks I'm completely hopeless.

I rent a room in a house, so I live with my landlord, his wife, and one other roommate. The landlord and his wife got angry at our old ISP one day and immediately had our service cut and replaced with WOW. They changed out the modem to a different wireless one.

Ever since then I've been fully losing internet connection sporadically. Occasionally I'll lose connection to the modem itself. It doesn't seem to stick to a certain schedule at all. I have my own router hardwired into their modem, and I can use that comfortably for a while, but it's slower and I still occasionally lose internet access (though not as often).

Now, I accessed the modem and saw that the DHCP server had a "Lease Time" value set to roughly 60 minutes. I imagine that's what was causing the full modem disconnection. I increased the time to 24 hours and haven't seen that problem yet tonight.

However, I still get sporadic internet loss. Taking a gander at my event viewer, I see several instances of

Event 8003 - Master browser has received a server announcement from the computer [MY ROOMMATE'S COMPUTER] that believes that it is the master browser. [BULLSHIT NUMBERS] The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

I imagine that that might cause problems, and I'll go and disable the Computer Browser service for him in a bit, but I was hoping someone here might be able to help because I'm not convinced that that is the real issue, given that I still lose internet while connected to my own router.

At the very least, can someone point me to the right direction for easy network diagnostics for a small home network?
>>
File: 1468049500447.png (14KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468049500447.png
14KB, 240x200px
>>174701
>>
File: 1430865988793.png (184KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1430865988793.png
184KB, 1000x1000px
>>174705
It's eight lines m8

Don't make us look bad
>>
>>174701
Get a real computer guy to look at it.

Master Browsers are used by SMB, which is the filesharing protocol that Windows uses. It doesn't matter who is the master browser, so long as there is one. SMB has nothing to do with your internet connection.

Your DHCP lease time could be 60 seconds, and your connection would still be fine, so long as you had a stable connection to the DHCP server.

You're not being methodical, and you're not understanding the symptoms, you're just cargo-culting off scary messages you're finding in event logs. Stop it before you make things worse.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 366x572px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 366x572px
>>174701
If you've got a bad wireless connection (and it sounds like you have), your options are to:

- run your old router as an AP: disable its DHCP server, plug one of its client ports into one of the new router's client ports, make sure they're using different wifi channels. If you give them the same name, Windows will roam between them without dropping your connections.
- Buy an actually decent AP, like a Ubiquiti
- build a directional antenna (pic related)
>>
>master browser is stopping or an election is being forced

>I imagine that that might cause problems

its not. has nothing to do with your internet connection problems
>>
>>174721
>>174714
I have symptoms, I have event logs. Something registers as a hard error, I'll look to fix it and see if it solves the problem.

See:
>So I know a tiny little bit about computers, enough to get by doing my own tech support, but when it comes to networks I'm completely hopeless.

I have little to no idea as to what exactly it is I'm doing here, which is why I'm coming here for help. After everything I've done I haven't lost connection to the router and the wifi signal is still strong, so I've managed to fix something.

>>174717
The old router is the most stable option by far. Only problem is that it's substantially slower. I'll need to configure the DHCP and channels, and hopefully that will clear up. Will I need to change the security key to be the same to get windows to roam?

I've also gotten some DNS errors with Google's connection diagnostic tool, as well as in the event log. I've set the DNS to manually use google, but it's still timing out. Any suggestions for DNS problems beyond /flushdns?
>>
>>175143
>I'll need to configure the DHCP and channels, and hopefully that will clear up.
Don't forget, you're bridging not routing, so connect a client port to a client port.
>Will I need to change the security key to be the same to get windows to roam?
Yes and no. If they're the same SSID, they need to be the same key and the same encryption type.

If they're not the same SSID, they don't need the same password or encryption, and Windows can roam anyway, but it will disconnect your existing connections when it does, because it doesn't know they're the same network.
>>
>>175143
>After everything I've done I haven't lost connection to the router and the wifi signal is still strong, so I've managed to fix something.
Dude, that's the same logic as:

- those guys wave sticks about and sit in little huts talking to people that aren't there
- then the planes come with cargo
- so waving sticks about makes planes come

You need to get away from look-for-scary-message, google-scary-message, do-first-thing-that-google-says, repeat-until-fixed-or-ruined.

A good start would be trying to understand what each scary message means. Then you wouldn't waste your time fiddling with something on the application layer in an attempt to fix the physical layer.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.