[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime suggestions for newbie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: tonari-no-totoro.jpg (1MB, 3744x5000px) Image search: [Google]
tonari-no-totoro.jpg
1MB, 3744x5000px
Hello!

I'm totally new to anime, like totally. I have seen some pokemon when I was a kid and that's about it. Right now I generally love cinema, and watch films on regular basis.

So I have that one friend who's into anime, and I just asked him hey dude, I want to get into anime and I haven't seen pretty much any, where do I begin? And he gave me that list of suggestions.

My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies
NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind
Ghost in the Shell

I'm asking to validate it. Please tell me are those good suggestions? Maybe I should add or remove something? Thank you!
>>
File: Essential_Films_2000-2015.jpg (2MB, 1126x3625px) Image search: [Google]
Essential_Films_2000-2015.jpg
2MB, 1126x3625px
>>173973
Yes, these are pretty good suggestions. You should also try to watch some of the movies in this chart, you'l probably like it.

To download, just go to nyaa.se or bakabt.me, you'll find almost everything there.
To watch, use CCCP or KCP.
http://www.cccp-project.net/
http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack

For more recommendations, you can check the /a/ wiki, there are a lot of charts here:
http://animu-mango.wikia.com/wiki/Anime_Recommendations
>>
>>173973

Those are all fine suggestions. He mostly recommended you Studio Ghibli films, which is a studio that makes really high quality movies usually with very family-friendly content that can be watched by anyone and are generally very easy for the uninitiated to watch. Think Disney, but a bit more mature and less afraid to tone down stuff for kids.

Besides those, Akira and Ghost in the Shell are good, too. When he said Ghost in the Shell, he probably meant the original 1995 movie, so make sure you watch that one. After that, you can watch Ghost in the Shell: Innocence or if you weren't too thrilled by the first movie, you can check out Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which uses the same characters and themes, but in a different way.

Anyway, some of my own recommendations that aren't too Japanese and are mostly easy to get into:

The Cat Returns (Ghibli)
Porco Rosso (Ghibli)
Howl's Moving Castle (Ghibli)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Baccano!
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tokyo Godfathers

And some hot-blooded action without any real need to think while watching:
Redline
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Death Note
Kill la Kill

Enjoy.
>>
what tv/movie/cartoon genres are you into outside of anime? Usually anime has something similar to offer with their own take on it of course.
>>
Those are all pretty solid recs. Totoro, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, and Nausicaa are all done by the same studio, Ghibli, which is often called the Japanese Disney analog. The movies have very broad appeal across all ages, often featuring child protagonists and fantasy settings. They are not necessarily all happy movies though. In particular, Grave of the Fireflies is famously tragic and grim in a way that marks it as unique among all Studio Ghibli's movies. While Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa are also fairly serious stories they are mollified somewhat by their fantasy settings and upbeat messages. A name you will want to remember is Hayao Miyazaki, a veritable genius director who produced many of Studio Ghibli's finest movies (Totoro, Spirited Away, Nausicaa, and Princess Mononoke are all directed by him, among others).

Akira and Ghost in the Shell are both sci-fi movies touted as classics, their animation is also nearly on par with the finest stuff produced in the west. Both movies are a bit dense in exposition and can be hard to follow with only casual viewing, so be sure to be very alert while watching them.

For anime films in general, I would say that anime excels at sci-fi and fantasy, while it has good films in other genres those are its definite strong suits. A word also, going from these very accessible movies to TV and OVA anime series can be a bit of a jolt, because while films are made either as auteur projects or for general audiences the vast majority of anime is marketed to niche audiences. Just saying, going from Studio Ghibli movies and classics like Akira and GitS to the shows on >>173984's list might be a bit of a shock. If all you're used to is Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, then you watch Kill la Kill and Code Geass you'd wonder how they're even considered the same medium.
>>
>>173996

>list might be a bit of a shock.

Heh, yeah. But that's why I separated them from the others and said that you don't really need to think that much while watching.

Redline, Gurren Lagann, and Kill la Kill all show off what anime is about with a good combination of stylized animation and crazy action while Code Geass and Death Note show how stupidly fun it can be as well.

Ghibli and some classics might be a good way to get into anime, but hot-blooded action anime are how you really start to enjoy the medium. I do agree with what you said though.
>>
>>173984
>>173982
>>173996
Thanks for detailed replies. I will take all these recommendations into consideration. As for downloading, I suppose I should be fine with my trackers, they must be sufficient for most famous animes. Frankly, I have tried some anime in the past. Not that I was avoiding it all my life. But I never liked them, it was just too far from what I prefer. I can't even remember what it was. Something about vampires. And also something about girl in a helmet, like a robot, that was telepathically killing everyone around... But I assume those were the wrong choices! So I want to start with something super accessible, that is as close to western films (not animated) as possible.

>>173991
Oh currently I mostly watch classic films, older ones, from before 1980s. Want to catch up on what I missed. As for genres hmm... I think I like films that are in one way or another related to death, like Enter the Void for instance. With some artistic imagery, or philosophy related to it. Also like dreamy surrealistic films, some of the Lynch for instance. Really difficult to say, I like many things.
>>
>>174016
Haven't seen either of the movies you mentioned, but based on your descriptions you might enjoy dark fantasy, murder mystery, supernatural, psychological horror, and cyberpunk genres. They are not entirely philosophical, dreamy, or surreal, but they have some of those elements.

check out rin daughters of mnemosyne, berserk, ergo proxy and darker than black
>>
>>174016
>Something about vampires
Vampires are pretty common in anime and manga so there's no real way to guess. The other sounds like Elfen Lied though, and that's a pretty notorious anime for trying really hard to be dark and edgy.

>I think I like films that are in one way or another related to death, like Enter the Void for instance. With some artistic imagery, or philosophy related to it. Also like dreamy surrealistic films, some of the Lynch for instance
I'd recommend watching Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei, I think you'll enjoy them.
>>
>>174016

>Also like dreamy surrealistic films, some of the Lynch for instance.

I mentioned Tokyo Godfathers earlier, but you might enjoy Satoshi Kon's other works as well. Give Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, and Paprika a watch. Paranoia Agent as well.

Kon's works all involving blending reality with surreality.
>>
>>174016
>I think I like films that are in one way or another related to death, like Enter the Void for instance. With some artistic imagery, or philosophy related to it. Also like dreamy surrealistic films, some of the Lynch for instance. Really difficult to say, I like many things.

In addition to Satoshi Kon films Mushishi, Angel's Egg, Kino's Journey might be right up your alley.
>>
submarine blue nr 6
record of lodoss war

two of my first anime movies
and just awesome
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.