[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I retarded? Can't figure out my little sister's homework.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160804_170545.jpg (736KB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160804_170545.jpg
736KB, 2160x3840px
Am I retarded? Can't figure out my little sister's homework.
>>
Between 55 and 65 left? I can't tell if this is meant to be an exercise is using lesser than and greater than expression like 55 >= x >=65 or if whoever wrote it is an idiot.
>>
59 children are already there

A bus brings more and now there are between 90 and 100 children there

35 children leave (all at once) it is assumed that these children are the ones who came on the bus [59 + 35 = 94, which is, between 90 and 100]

Once the kids on the bus leave there are again, 59 children at the water park.

Whoever wrote this should be fired because the problem is far too ambiguous and leaves room for multiple answers, such as what if the children who left were part of a different group/whatever. But in situations like this you have to think about what the hell the writer of the problem was thinking at the time.
>>
>>167453
Yeah, that's where I was going with this, but it just seemed to ambigious or almost like it was meant to trick the reader, or just a gag to piss a bunch of people off like one of those things that get spread around by idiots on facebook.

>>167435
Just out of curiosity OP, what grade is your sister in. I wonder what level this is supposed to be for.
>>
>>167455

summer homework prior to 3rd grade
>>
>>167453

Thanks. That was indeed a terribly ambiguous problem.
>>
"This question is impossible to answer without knowing how many children were abducted during the day."
>>
>>167515
Kek
>>
Wouldn't it be between 55 and 65.
The 59 at the start is white noise that means nothing, you only need to know 90-100 children existed at the park before 35 left.
I have no idea how you'd write that as a math story though.
>>
>>167453
F-.

It's supposed to be introducing you to pre-algebra, getting you thinking about numbers that might be /variable/. "Variables", if you will.

You're supposed to spot that the first line is not relevant to the answer, and can be ignored.

You're supposed to work out that if there are 90+x, 0<x<10 children and 35 leave, then there are 55+x, 0<x<10, or in layman's terms "between 55 and 65" children left in the park.

>>167435
>Am I retarded?
Yes, yes you are.

I mean, sure, not being able to produce pictures in the correct irrelevant arbitrary format is one thing, but this is algebra so basic I'd hesitate to call it algebra.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.