[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech newbie fucks up his PC, plz help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: WIN_20160728_17_00_03_Pro.jpg (165KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160728_17_00_03_Pro.jpg
165KB, 1280x720px
Hi guys, opened up my PC a couple days ago to measure the insides for a new GPU, which necessitated removing the PSU and current GPU. Ever since I put it back together it has two problems:

1) About ten seconds after I turn it on, it turns itself off and then back on again. The PSU appears to be plugged in correctly and there are no loose cables hanging off it.
2) None of my video outputs work. DVI, VGA and HDMI on both the processor and my GPU show up as 'no signal' on my monitor (which is definitely not broken as it still works with my other devices).

I got this thing back in 2013. I picked the parts but didn't put it together myself, and I'd rather not pay for repairs that I could do myself. Roommate says all the internals look fine and are plugged in correctly. Aside from the weird restart when I turn it on, it seems to run and sound fine.

If anyone can help I'm stumped and I really need this to be fixed pronto since my laptop is ass, even for uni work and web browsing.

Pic is of my PC's internals and back. 1/3
>>
File: WIN_20160728_17_00_12_Pro.jpg (170KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160728_17_00_12_Pro.jpg
170KB, 1280x720px
2/3
>>
File: WIN_20160728_17_00_47_Pro.jpg (164KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160728_17_00_47_Pro.jpg
164KB, 1280x720px
3/3, the back obviously.
>>
>>163213
lol the fuck did u do

I would try and do everything again, remove the PSU and GPU the same way you did before, and put it back together again

but idk
>>
>>163219
Sorry, forgot to mention I've already done that. Checked over both parts and they looked fine to me.
>>
Take the silver battery out for bout a minute.
>>
>>163225
Okay, this stopped the automatic restart, but only the first time I turned it on after replacing the battery. Still no video feed either.
>>
Bumpan for help

I need this thing working. Does anyone know any possible fixes?
>>
Update: Just realised there's no beep from the motherboard when I turn it on, and there are two red lights on it: one next to the words 'GPU Boost' and one between 'DRAM LED' and 'MemOK'. I don't know what these mean but I know the lack of a bootup beep is bad, right?
>>
>>163258

No, lack of bootup is good. It looks like a video problem. do the battery removal again and go with onboard video then see if it starts like that with the videocard out obviously for now.
>>
File: 1468918294266.jpg (183KB, 1260x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1468918294266.jpg
183KB, 1260x1024px
You've already tried the good stuff, reassembling, checking all connections, resetting BIOS (taking the battery out).

The blue port on the back is your VGA port, your 'onboard grathics' which is the display adapter your motherboard comes with built-in. Try removing your video-card and connecting to that instead, hopefully you'll get video out.

If you get video out now it's time to go into BIOS, hit F12 or whatever during the initial boot process and have a look around for any settings related to the display adapters/video card.

Also check to see if your video-cards fans begin to spin when you turn on the computer, I know it's not putting out any video but if the fans are/aren't spinning that lets you know it's got power and trying at least.

If you do all this and still can't get that video-card to put out video, or worse-yet the fans don't spin at all, the g-card might be fucked. It happens.

Last step is isolation test, exclude the possibility that the card itself is damaged by testing it quickly in a different computer (your housemates?) to make sure it's fine.
>>
>>163213
I had these symptons with a screw stuck between the motherboard and case, so it bridged and made the PSU panic. If all else fails, try assembling your parts outside the case to rule out bad insulation.
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 972x643px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 972x643px
>>163213
You've plugged your 8-pin CPU power into your GPU, and your 8-pin GPU power into your CPU.

Aren't you glad you took the time to try all of >>163225, >>163274, and >>163334 's brilliant ideas though?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.