[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Powering 4 LED strips + Controller

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: SKU127209t(1)[1].jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
SKU127209t(1)[1].jpg
133KB, 600x600px
So I'm great with computers, work in IT and all that but this electrical stuff is just not making sense to me. This is why I'm not an engineer.

So I need to get about 17.4 metres (57") of led strips setup and with a wireless controller. I've found these cheap Chinese ones which look like they'll be good enough, but I don't get what kind of power I need for them.

I guess I just need to multiply the wattage by 4? That would be 240w and so I just get a 240w power supply? And what kind of wiring do I need to do to get this kind of supply working?

Will connecting 4 of these together even work in the first place and all be controllable by the one remote? Is there any other parts I'm missing? I'm completely out of my element here.

Strips: http://www.banggood.com/5M-RGB-Non-Waterproof-300-LED-SMD-5050-LED-Strip-Light-DC-12V-p-925678.html

Controller: http://www.banggood.com/Wireless-Dimmer-Touch-Panel-Controller-RF-Remote-For-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-DC12-24V-p-1050313.html

Power Supply: http://www.banggood.com/240W-110-220V-to-12V-20A-Switching-Power-Supply-For-Strip-Light-p-73834.html
>>
>>163204
Hi OP can you get me a job in IT

Thanks
>>
>>163209

Probably bait, but to be completely honest, almost everything I know was self taught. Just start playing around with parts and software and whatever and see what things do. I have no formal education past highschool but my first job out of it was ~80k CAD working IT at a library.

Don't just go and read books or take classes, literally just put your hands on some computer parts and build a computer. Read tutorials and watch videos. Then get into networking and do the same thing. Buy a server and setup a home network. Then make it secure.

IT is just a ladder that you're going to have to physically climb.
>>
>>163211
Not bait, but I wasn't really serious, kind of. I didn't expect a response desu.

I've built a bunch of computers already, I studied programming, but I'm working at the head office of a franchise, doing absolutely nothing related.

What kind of CAD is needed at a library though..?
>>
>>163222

No, I mean like Canadian money.

I'm shit at programming and I personally don't consider that IT but it's own sector, like developing and such. I've only ever had to use some web development but nothing more than that. It's good to know SQL though, but that's not programming.

Seriously just put yourself out there. I didn't have the actual qualifications for that job but I aced the interview by actually knowing real-world answers and not just some schooling/book answers. If you're savvy enough you could probably even run your own computer repair service in your town/city.

Get your A+ if you want, it will definitely help get your foot in the door but you don't absolutely need it. I don't have it.
>>
>>163224
Oh, canadian money makes more sense.

You seem cool, thanks for the advice, sorry for derailing your thread :^)
>>
>>163276
this doesnt answer you op, but i dealt with these chinese strips before. i had the right amps and shit set up for me for a 6b line strip, but the lights themselves will cause a fire.
source:they caused a fire.

if you can, buy the higher quality ones that come prewired to daisy chain them. i dont have any off hand, but when i get a free moment ill look up the ones i bought and link it in the thread
>>
>>163276
Thanks, I am pretty cool. That's why I'm trying to wire my living room ceiling with LED strips.

>>163278
If there's some higher quality ones that aren't like $50/5m then sure, but so far that seems to be what it's like.
>>
>>163204
>I guess I just need to multiply the wattage by 4? That would be 240w and so I just get a 240w power supply?

Yes and no, the controller also needs power, get a 300W PSU for good measure (the rating on a PSU its how much it consumes not what it supplies that’s RMS power).

>Will connecting 4 of these together even work in the first place and all be controllable by the one remote?

Yes and no, you can connect them one after the another without problem but the controller its rated for 216W only so it will work with a maximum of 3 strips.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.