[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A few laptop questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 3

File: s-l1000.jpg (154KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
154KB, 1000x750px
So I'm here because Reddit has proved unhelpful (as usual) in answering my questions.

So I'm thinking about getting a Dell Latitude D830 (or any other D600 / D800 series) and I want to know if some upgrades are worth purchasing.

So first question, will 4GB of RAM be good? I'm looking to run Windows XP, and while 4GB is over kill, I do recall that running an i945 with 4GB of RAM would force some to be unusable because of address space. Would this happen with the Intel 965 chipset?

Next, is the additional 6-cell multibay battery worth it? I don't really need the optical drive for more than the first few hours to install all my programs, so would the extra battery life be good? How does it work, is it used first and switched to the internal battery, vice versa, do I need to charge it externally? How does this affect other things, like main battery charge time, low battery performance, and weight?

Last question, while looking at pictures of the motherboard online (pic related), I noticed that there are two Mini PCIe slots on the motherboard. I will only need one, for the wireless adapter, and the other will be free. Would it be beneficial to put anything in this slot? I'd like to put a non-bootable SSD in that slot, but I've heard around the internet that this works from some, and from others that it's impossible. Any ideas on that? I'd also like to put a better wireless adapter in it, what would be the best for this, and would it benefit me at all?

TL;DR:
-4GB RAM with Intel 965?
-Multibay battery or optical drive?
-mPCIe SSD / wifi?

To confirm, I do plan on running Windows XP and possibly dualbooting Windows 8.1, for the purpose of requiring XP and wanting 8.1 (can't use 10 for anything, so do not want).
>>
File: pic_related.jpg (310KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
pic_related.jpg
310KB, 1300x866px
I plan on getting the computer tomorrow or Thursday, and it's likely going to be running Windows 7 when I get it. How would I dual boot XP and 8.1?

Pic related, it's what I've just done.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 446x251px
>>162245
>D600
>XP
>4GB
>Optical Drive
Finally! It's working!

Okay past guy, listen. In August 2016, Nintendo is going to release Pokemon GO. But they don't really own it. It's all a plan to control the stock market. Now this is important. We don't know what they're doing with the Pokémon. That's where you come in. Use your hot-swappable multibay batteries so you can change out the main battery or the bay battery without needing to hibernate. Don't worry about the northbridge hiding some of your 4GB: the performance gains from running 2GB+2GB dual-channel more than outweigh the cost of having some RAM you can't access. Plus if you want to run this secret OS from the future, you'll need as much RAM as you can get. Not all miniPCIe slots are interchangeable: the connector can have USB, PCIe, and/or SATA lanes. Clearly this is INTEL's doing. You'll need to see if your connector provides mSATA lanes for an SSD, but *don't let them find out you're looking*.

Godspeed, past person. You may be humanity's only hope.

El Psy Congroo.
>>
>>162414
Seems like my battery has been compromised, only 116 charges left.

But Pokemon Ruby was a good game, and I hear Diamond and Pearl are coming out soon...

Pokemon doesn't become Wall Street Kid on NES, does it?
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.