[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC Tower giving off electrical shocks when touching screws or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: image_606.jpg (107KB, 800x468px) Image search: [Google]
image_606.jpg
107KB, 800x468px
Hello, I'm from Denmark, and I'm having this issue. I used to think it was a fault with the PSU but I don't think it is anymore. It seems more likely to be faulty wiring in the building, but I don't know. (House, presumably built between the 50's and 70's.)

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas about what it could be otherwise, and what needs to be done to fix it? Needless to say it's not a lot of fun to get random jolts, and I doubt it's good for the PC.
>>
You have eliminated the obvious like static electricity, right? Continuously moving your feet on a nice plush carpet would do it...
>>
>>162214
Yeah, I've used a tool specifically meant to discharge static (I believe) and check for a continuous current.
>>
>>162194
It might be the grounding of the building, try checking other appliances for such problems. Ask around if anyone else is having this issue in your area.

Otherwise, something might have gone wrong with another appliance in your house and needs to be replaces A.S.A.P. for risk of electrical fire, as if any other appliance is causing the issue, it likely have make the ground circuit of your house become life, and your PC's power supply has just saved your life by having proper back voltage regulations.

>>162232
What were the results of the continues current? Have you tried checking the ground pin on any other appliances or even the house ground itself?
>>
>>162238
From what I gather, the house itself simply isn't grounded, but it supposedly shouldn't be an issue. (And it's apparently even quite common.)

I don't think there's anything else that does it. When I've reached behind my TV to plug in HDMI's and so on I've never received a shock from touching any exposed metal bits, so it seems to only be my PC.

The pic is related as well: My tower is a Cooler Master Storm Scout, the original which was taken off the market for poor design choices like the lack of dust filters, exposed openings into the machinery inside and a lack of USB 3 ports on the front.

I used to think it was a PSU issue, but I'm at my third PSU while having this issue right now, and it's still a thing. But it seems that it's only the PC that's having this issue from what I can tell.

I'm not expert. In fact, I really haven't the slightest idea.
>>
>>162243
One way or another, it's a good idea to check and make sure.

You might also want to look if this has happened to anybody else with this case, as for it to be taken off the market would have to be some big issues. At this point, it might be beneficial to get another case, seeing as this one apparently has issues.
>>
>>162247
I'm replacing my case soon (3-4 months from now) with the updated mode, the Storm Scout 2. All things considered, I might be doing it a lot sooner than expected though. :/ If that doesn't solve it though, I'm really at a loss. My old man is a lifelong electrician and even he is puzzled.

I'm also not sure how to check the other appliances as they don't seem to have the same kind of exposed ports and metal bits that would carry a current. The only example I can think of is that my PS4, PS3, amplifier and TV doesn't seem to do this at all.

By exclusion it would seem that it's an issue with the PC's tower, and perhaps you're right that it's a more serious issue that caused them to take it off the market. It does, however, seem to have universally good reviews and I can't find a single hint that anyone has had a similar issue.
>>
>>162256
While it is extremely dangerous to do this on many occasions, try partially unplugging the appliance and testing the ground pin that way (NOT WITH YOUR HANDS! USE A TESTER!).
>>
>>162261
The ground pin? We use 2-pin cables in 2-pin sockets. I don't know that either one of those is a ground pin, and the house is not grounded.
>>
>>162264
>no ground pin
There's your problem, something else inside the computer has gone wrong and the internal ground has nowhere to go, and therefor leeches out into the case by way of the central ground in the power supply.

Try this, take the power supply out of the computer (leave connected) and make sure it is not in contact with the case. If the problem is solved this way, try updating your house to include grounded pins or some other way to get a grounded socket.
>>
>>162266
Well, it's a bit beyond me to update the house to include ground. I feel like something like that is quite the undertaking.

That being said, this suggestion does seem to hold some logic. Might give it a go. Strange thing is that this didn't seem to happen whilst my PC was plugged in somewhere else in the house. (The living room.)
>>
>>162271
OP here with an update: It seems that the monitors, while plugged in, are carrying a charge. Apparently this charge is part of the problem.
>>
>>162194
Take a volt meter and measure the voltage of the case. If it's mains voltage then the PSU is probably at fault.

Also measure the voltage of the ground and neutral of the outlet you're connected to. Some shitty electricians wire ground to neutral and then reverse neutral and hot.
>>
>>162305
Please read above: I do not have ground. In Denmark, it's common to not have ground. There's no ground for me to measure.

It doesn't seem to be the PSU at fault as we have unplugged everything, but the monitor's cable is still carrying a charge. Basically, every cable is carrying a charge, and it's making absolutely no sense.

Nothing in this house is grounded, but only my monitors and PSU are acting up.
>>
>>162271
>Well, it's a bit beyond me to update the house to include ground. I feel like something like that is quite the undertaking.
>My old man is a lifelong electrician

Stick a 1/3m copper rod or copper pipe into the ground and attack a ground wire to that or even just attach it to a cold water copper pipe.
>>
>>162319
>every cable is carrying a charge

The outside of every cable is typically ground and often directly connected to the metal case of the PC. Check which one is making the others hot.
>>
>>162338
Making them hot? Nothing is particularly hot. It's just that when I plug in my monitor and turn on the power, there's a charge coming off of the HDMI-cable even when it's connected. The charge is just there.
>>
>>162340
Hot aka live aka mains
>>
>>162343
Alright, well.. There doesn't seem to be any dangerous levels of electricity running through, just enough to give you a bit of an ouch, you know?

Anyways, it's the DVI and HDMI from my two monitors, and the PSU when it's plugged in, even if it's not turned on but the extender-box (Or whatever it's called.. A thing with multiple sockets and a switch) is.

I just tried taking one of my monitors to another room, plugging it in all on it's own, and turning on the power only to find there was a charge running out into the DVI cable's head without it being plugged into everything. Attempting to do a measurement seemed to show 6 volts.
>>
>>162319
>In Denmark, it's common to not have ground.
There's still ground, even in Denmark.

If you don't tie your electronics to it, then what you describe in >>162194 is what happens.

There is no way round this. If you don't ground electronics, then it floats at whatever potential it wants to. Where there's a difference in potential (for example between the PC at whateverthefuck and you at actual earth-ground), then current flows. If you don't want this to happen, you must tie every case you might touch to the same ground you stand on. Using an earth wire, not your finger.

Ignore all the idiots in this thread. There is nothing wrong with any of your electronic devices. If you plugged them in in a place where the wiring isn't hilariously dangerous, they'd all be at earth ground and you'd not get zapped all the time.

Plus, if your PSU did fail and short live to case, your case wouldn't kill you.
>>
>>162331
>just attach it to a cold water copper pipe.
Now your PC can also kill everyone that touches a radiator or tap!

If the house isn't earth-bonded, why the fuck do you expect its plumbing to be? You think they earthed the plumbing then thought "y'know what, I just can't be fucked doing the electrics as well. It's not like they need it."
>>
>>162421
>"y'know what, I just can't be fucked doing the electrics as well. It's not like they need it."
You'd be very surprised...

>>162420
This guy knows what he's doing, listen to him.
>>
>>162420
>There is nothing wrong with any of your electronic devices

There can be depending on what went wrong.
Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hdn0MuCK_0
>>
>>162422
I will be taking your advice.

>>162420
>Listens very intensely.

I know there is ground, but it seems that it's very rare for older houses to have. My house is from the 1930's and I honestly have no clue what the wiring is like. I'd assume it's been updated, but not in my lifetime. (I.E. not in the last 20 years) Meaning that the wiring probably isn't grounded.

my monitors are both releasing electricity through their plugs, even when not connected to the PC but just the power. The strange thing is that this is ONLY happening to my PC and nothing else in the house. It doesn't even seem to happen all the time. But I suppose that could be what you mean when you say it flows at whatever potential it wants?

I guess I'll have to figure out some way to ground it then, but the house itself isn't grounded, and we haven't got a single 3-pin socket.
>>
>>162421

What do you think grounding is? A foot or meter of metal buried in the ground attached by a wire is how it's set up. If the pipe coming in from the outside is metal, then it's more than good enough to ground.
>>
>>162436
This is OP, btw.

>>162435
I tired measuring it with an identical device, connecting one spike to a screw on the PSU and another to the radiator. It gave me a reading of between 6-12 volts.

I did the same with the monitors and it seems that everything is actually giving off the same amount of voltage.

The current even starts flowing without the PSU being switched on, which I'd assume means it's all coming from the cables, leading back to the grounding issue, unless all my PC-related electronics somehow share the same random fault.
>>
>>162439
>6-12 volts
Do the affected ports work? They may be wired up wrong if they were attached manually and / or have separate pins for each one on the connector.
>>
>>162441
Are you the same guy with the good advice? ^^'

Anyways: They work just fine. Never really had any issues. And I doubt it would be something like that given how the monitors apparently do the same thing while not even hooked up to the PC in the first place. Simply plugging in the monitor and doing a test on it's HDMI or DVI gives the same result as plugging in the PC/PSU.
>>
>>162194
Does your plug look anything like this? That's what Danish plugs, look like, there should be a third pin somewhere.

>>162448
I'm not >>162420 , if that's what you're wondering.

The problem is probably in your house wiring possibly not being earthed properly.
>>
>>162451
No, they don't look like that. I know what a danish plug supposedly looks like, but they don't look like that in a house that isn't grounded. You've simply got two holes and that's it.

OP here, btw. ^^

I've checked, and the house isn't grounded and our plugs only have room for 2 pins. The problem may have to do with it all not being earthed properly, because as I've explained a few times already: This house isn't earthed. At all.
>>
>>162438
>If the pipe coming in from the outside is metal
>>
>>162454
Since the house is not grounded, it could cause a serious problem, should any electrical issue occur, as instead of the appliance failing and pumping voltage to ground, it could start a fire or kill someone.

Either get it grounded, or risk serious electrical safety problems.
>>
>>162474
Obviously we've apparently been risking the latter for a very long time. I don't really know what I can do about it. It's not *my* house and my old man is an electrician and has been for 34 years. If he's not fussed then you'll excuse me for finding it hard to be so myself.

Again I'd like to stress that it is ONLY my PC and related items that is acting up like this, and it is neither constant nor very severe.
>>
>>162480
>it is neither constant nor very severe
Now it's seeming like a capacitor somewhere.

Do you have any other motherboards you could try?

>it is ONLY my PC and related items
If they're all on one socket or in one place in the house, try checking the breakers or have your old man check the wiring for that specific part.

I recall you said it didn't happen in the living room? It may be a problem in that specific part of the house, try plugging it into different places if you can, specifically in other plugs in the room and in other rooms, if the problem only occurs in that specific room, there's a problem.

Since it's not constant, it might be a capacitor somewhere instead, see above.

Is pic related more like the plugs you have?
>>
>>162515
Just stop.

It's a floating ground. This is normal. Google "floating ground".

If you don't want a tingle off of floating grounds, you need to supply a proper earth connection.

There is nothing wrong with any of the equipment. If it were earthed, there would be no zappy-zappy.
>>
>>162515
Yes, that is what our plugs look like. Only 2 holes.

I took out one of my monitors and tried it in the living room again, and the DVI was still giving off electricity when it should.

Like, we literally took only the monitor upstairs, and the DVI was giving off electricity. My other monitor does the same thing. My PSU does the same thing as well. Any unpainted, exposed metal (USB ports, etc.) give shocks when the PC is plugged in and the power is turned on, even without the PSU being turned on.

It's *only* my 2 monitors and the tower doing this. Nothing else in the house as far as I could tell. So I don't know if, as I've mentioned before, all of my equipment somehow has developed the same flaw or something. It's strange.
>>
>>162672
I'm trying to find another way around updating the entire house, OP said he doesn't have the ability to do so.

>>162728
At this point I don't know what it could possibly be. The only thing I can recommend at this point is to have your house properly earthed.
>>
>>162831
Well, it's not *my* house and I don't know how interested my folks would be in doing something like that just because my PC is being weird. The fact that it's not constant and just sort of happens, and only to my PC and related equipment makes it seem unlikely to me that it's an issue with the wiring.. but I of course haven't the faintest clue.

The fact that I can plug my monitor into seemingly *any* outlet and have the DVI give off a current makes me think it's a problem with the monitor itself, but it also happens with the other monitor and the PSU, and it's the same voltage.

It's mind boggling.
>>
Alright, OP here. I was just talking to a friend who mentioned something I hadn't thought of..

Could it have something to do with the humidity of the room I am in? True to the stereotype I'm living in a basement, and one that wasn't really designed to be lived in.

I think this is definitely plausible, given how it all seemed to go away after my PC was standing upstairs for a few days. It would also explain why it isn't a constant a issue if it only happens when it's particularly humid and damp?

Am I derp for not thinking of this sooner? Does anyone know if the symptoms I've described make sense for a PC in a room with high humidity?
>>
>>162894
It's not humidity. It's not a capacitor. It's not anything wrong with the equipment. Switch-mode power supplies do this when they're not earthed, which is why you need to either earth them (PCs), or completely insulate them from any way the user could touch them (LED bulbs, PS2, original XBox).

The electronics inside your devices does not care one jot whether VCC and GND are +5V and 0V or +75V and +70V with respect to the user, because they're designed so that either they'll never touch the user, or there'll be a ground wire to make GND the same voltage the user is at.

Because you've taken electronics that's designed to have a ground wire, and taken that ground wire away, that's why it keeps zapping you.

Your only options are:

- live with it, and hope you're never killed by electrocution or electrical fire in your deathtrap house
- install safe modern wiring

You aren't harming your electronics by not earthing them; the only problems are that they'll keep zapping you, and you might one day die from electrocution or in an electrical fire.
>>
>>162882
>it also happens with the other monitor and the PSU, and it's the same voltage.
>It's mind boggling

It's only mind-boggling because you think that if you keep disbelieving the correct answer, then it will turn into one you like better.
>>
>>162963
I'm not sure I know what you mean.

>>162962
I don't think you understand that it's not just my PSU doing this. Not only should the PSU not be receiving power while it's switched off, but both monitors are doing the same thing independently while not plugged into the PC.

E.G. removing a monitor, taking it upstairs and testing it is giving me the exact same result as with the PSU/Tower. If it's a PSU-problem, then it doesn't make any sense for the monitors to be affected independently.

I am not looking for an "Answer I like", I am looking for one that makes sense. Saying it's the PSU not being earthed while the exact same thing is happening to the monitors while not even in the same room doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>162194

Not even gonna say why it happens or how to fix it because probably someone in the thread already did (not gonna bother reading it either), I just wanted to point that if touch it while grounded it might kill you.
>>
>>163044
>I am not looking for an "Answer I like"
Yes you are. You absolutely are.

Your devices need grounded.
Your devices aren't grounded.
You need to ground your devices.
You can't negotiate for a solution you find less bothersome.

>Saying it's the PSU not being earthed while the exact same thing is happening to the monitors while not even in the same room doesn't make any sense.
Monitors have PSUs in them too.
>>
>>163247
Dude, I'm not. I'm not an expert, I have no idea what's happening, and I've gotten a bunch of conflicting answers that don't seem to explain all of what's going on.

I'm not negotiating anything or fishing for an answer that I like. I'm trying to figure out what's going on and I'm getting different answers and thus I'm asking questions to try and figure out what's happening.

For example, why is it my two monitors and my PC even when the PSU is switched off, and *nothing else* in the house? That seems weird to me, and I'm being told off by you for looking for an answer.
>>
>>162194
Its becoming sentient man, release it to find its way in Life.
>>
>>163466
It's free to come and go as it pleases.

That being said, it does seem like it's watching me at night.
>>
>>163318
You're saying it's "off", but it isn't off, is it?

The power lead is plugged in, and it will switch on when you connect an input or press a button nowhere near the power supply.

It's not doing this by magic, it's doing this because the PSU is supplying it with standby power.

See for yourself, just take your "faulty" equipment round to a friend who has electrical wiring that's not going to kill him in his sleep.
>>
>>163494
I'm not saying it's faulty. And there's a button *on* the power supply, not nowhere near it. I don't know if your phrasing is weird or whatever, but I'm not seeing your point. Either way, I'm having it looked at soon to finally determine whatever it is. The conflicting answer I'm getting here aren't really doing much to help me.

Thanks to everyone for trying though. Even those of you who were a bit rude about it.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.