[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this some Layton puzzle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Tomato.jpg (239KB, 900x665px) Image search: [Google]
Tomato.jpg
239KB, 900x665px
I recently built a pc and was having trouble with win10. So I decided to reinstall to win7. But I guess I fuck ed it up somewhere by erasing old.windows folder. My pc won't recognize external drives and my ethernet anymore so I can't run my usual fixes.

Is there an easier fix than resorting to cd?
>>
windows.old is automatically deleted after 30 days I think. reinstall Windows 10 on a flash drive using the media creation tool and boot to it to begin anew
>>
I'm at this retarded position where I need to update/reinstall drivers to get my Internet working. But need Internet to update my drivers for my usb.

I regret messing around with the OS. I need a drink.
>>
>>161534
The thing is my pc won't read my flash drives. And everywhere I look people tell me to update driver. But I can't cuz my pc won't read my ethernet as well.
>>
>>161537
are they damaged or does the OS just not want to read them? booting to a bootable flash drive via the boot menu should work if the motherboard isn't ready for the trash
>>
>>161538
The ports aren't damaged I think. I can connect other things like mouse and keyboard. But I can't boot with it and I can't find my flash drive or the windows set up.

Also if I go check at BIOS I says my ethernet is connect. It just won't connect me to my router for some reason.

I know it can't be hardware. It was working fine before and as I was installing win7. Also all external stuff work on my laptop
>>
>>161542
your drivers are likely all fucked up. If the bios recognizes the ethernet, it likely recognizes the usb too
>>
>>161544
Well that's my guess too. But how do I fix this. I can download drivers from my laptop since it won't read my usb. I don't have Internet on this. It won't boot with my flash drive.

My two last resorts are to take one of my internal drive on an old toaster to get drivers or to find some cd to boot with and hope my pc would read things from my cd drive.

Is there other options I could try for?
>>
>>161549
do you have another computer to install 10 onto physical media? if the bios can read the usb, you should be able to boot from a flash drive containing Windows 10, which I'm pretty sure is made bootable by the media creation tool, and contains drivers needed to run and install itself. If you cannot get the usb running, you might try running your W7 disc. I think you can install 10 on a disc the same way as a flash drive, but I'm not sure on that
>>
Arrange these matchsticks in the shape of a dog.
>>
>>161553
I really don't get why it won't detect my usb while booting. Maybe I'll try tomorrow again
>>
>>161565
if the bios doesn't enter the flash drive automatically after powering up, you may need to enter the boot menu or the bios by hitting either the F2/F10/F12 keys when the manufacturer logo shows up, then select the drive manually
>>
>>161571
I do. And I choose the usb 2.0 method of booting. But once I get 8nto some set up it can't find my usb to use as driver/installer
>>
>>161573
>But once I get 8nto some set up it can't find my usb to use as driver/installer
I don't understand what you mean. What are you trying to boot with? What's on it?

I'm talking about reinstalling the OS from scratch, not repairing the thing. I think it's beyond repair at this point. I don't think you can install drivers from anywhere but inside the OS. Unless someone else chimes in, starting anew would be my only advice.

If you've got important files you'd like to keep, don't format the drive when reinstalling Windows.. what remains should get pushed to a folder called windows.old, where you can retrieve it later when you're in a working state OS.
>>
You might try putting the driver(s) on a disc and see if you can run the disc, otherwise you may have locked yourself out. If the ethernet, usb, and cd doesn't have the right drivers, the pc can't use them.
>>
>>161581
Windows setup does a pivot into protected mode, at which point it stops using the BIOS to access devices, as the BIOS only works in real mode.

If setup doesn't have a driver for the device it's installing from or to, then it will fail as described here.

This isn't a problem for EFI, as EFI does work in protected mode.
>>
>>161565
Windows 7 doesn't come with a driver for XHCI, so it can't install from a USB3 port, nor a USB2 port that's provided by an XHCI controller.
>>
OP here. Thank you everyone for the help. I got my computer back running with win10.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.