[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help w/ physics homework

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Just in need of help with 8b, I found that a was 1ms-1 but I have no clue how to work out the average velocity.
>>
>>160983
Let the axis be [N, W]

Average: (100s*[-1m/s,0] + 50s[0,1m/s] + 150s[1m/s,0] + 75s[-1/√2m/s,1/√2m/s] + 25s[-1m/s, 0])/400s = (3√2-2)/32 m/s S, (3√2-2)/32 m/s W = 0.0701m/s S, 0.258m/s W
or
(net displacement)/time = (100m*[-1,0] + 50m[0,1] + 150m[1,0] + 75m[-1/√2,1/√2] + 25m[-1, 0])/400s = 0.0701m/s S, 0.258m/s W
>>
According to the answer at the back it is 0.27ms-1 at 255 degrees?? I have no clue how to achieve that answer though
>>
File: Like anyone knows this off hand.jpg (46KB, 500x463px) Image search: [Google]
Like anyone knows this off hand.jpg
46KB, 500x463px
>>160990

√(0.0701^2 + 0.258^2) = 0.267 m/s
arctan(-.258/-.0701) + 180 = 254.7993896 deg off North CLOCKWISE
>>
>>160990
velocity is directional so instead of adding up how much you have moved, you want to figure out how far away you ended up from where you started

try drawing out the entire path and making an arrow from where you started to where you ended up, this distance is what you want to find

you can think of a movement south as a negative movement north and vice versa so when you move 100 meters south, then 150 meters north, then 25 meters south again in total you have moved 25 meters north

for the 75 meters SW draw a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 75, it will be much easier to break it down into two vectors, one moving south and one moving west. so solve for a and b assuming that angle A and angle B are both 45 degrees, this is going to give you a nasty answer of 75 over root 2 for both

once you have found the total distance moved west and the total distance moved south make a right triangle and solve for the hypotenuse, with this distace you can divide by the time and convert to m/s to get an answer close to the one given in the book, to get the angle you can use the law of sines and inverse trig functions to find the angle but keep in mind what direction your angle is off of
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.