[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finding an Upgrade for my Graphics card

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Hi guys I got a Geforce GTX 570 and want to upgrade since Darksouls 3 is pretty much unplayable. I really don't need it for more than DS3 since the other games I play really don't need much graphics (Dwarf Fortress, Runescape, Deus Ex)

So my big question is what would be a moderately priced gpu that would make DS3 playable but isn't obverkill like a gtx 980
>>
>>160725
Do you really, absolutely, positively have to upgrade now or can you wait? The next gen is just around the corner and it's looking good. While you can, say, get a GTX 950 now, it'll be a total fucking waste in 2-3 months when you could get a GTX 1050 or RX 470. Or you can get a GTX 1060 right now, of course, but it's overpriced at the moment and overkill for your needs.
>>
>>160731
I can totally wait a bit more, starting my new work in September so that's the earliest I'm gonna buy the card just wanted to know some choices now in case they come on discount at the local IT store or on amazon.
>>
>>160734
It really depends on how future proof you want your rig to be -- you never know when the next Dark Souls 3 comes along that you'd want to play if it wasn't for your card. Spending, say, $180 now on a new gen card rather than $150 on a discounted previous gen could make a big difference in longevity.

Anything from a GTX 950 upwards should be good enough for DS3, and the GTX 970 in particular is still going to be good for a long while on other games. It's not worth buying now, but you could keep your eyes open for good deals; there might be some at the last minute as stocks get cleared out. That said, it's very possible the newer cards are going to be such good value for money that you don't need to bother. The previous AMD generation isn't really worth bothering with even at a discount -- the newer AMD cards are better value for money all around.

For now my advice is to wait and see. By the time September rolls around you're going to have some really good options, at better prices than now.
>>
>>160741
Ok thanks a ton for the advice
>>
>>160745
By the way, when you say Deus Ex, do you mean the retro-tastic original or Human Revolution? Because Mankind Divided is going to come out this year and that might be just the sort of thing you could use a new card for.
>>
>>160749
Both and holy shit I totally forgot about Mankind divided thanks for reminding me.... guess You can add that to the requirements for the new card.
>>
>>160750
When I say "this year", apparently it's next month unless something really unlikely happens -- gameplay previews are already up. So there's a good chance it's going to be part of the benchmark sets for newer cards. You've picked a great time for an upgrade, anon. :-)
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.