/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Sub $50 USD graphics card

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

So, what's the best sub 50 dollar USD graphics card currently out there? Particularly for this application:

Sister plays WoW all the time and her radeon HD 4350 in her Dell box died. Her onboard graphics don't give her high enough fps. Setting detail isn't biggest factor but needs high enough sustained frame rate probably over 30 fps but doesn't have to be 90. Probably 1080p monitor, can't remember. I think she has 6gb ddr2 or ddr3 memory and some athlon II x4 processor.

Don't want to through more than $50 at it, don't think she will be able to pay me back if I do.

Any suggestions?
>>
Self bump for replying to a few other inquiries.
>>
>>160174
Buy a used gtx 660 or higher (760, 770, 960)
>>
>>160250
Any place in particular to look for those particular cards used for 50 bucks? EBay listings seem to be a little bit higher than my 50 dollar goal.
>>
>>160264
wanna give a city name? or nah?
>>
>>160264
Not eBay, unless you want one that's broken, fake*, or both.

* not really the right word because Nvidia still made the die, but there are loads of cards on ebay that're something like a Geforce MX 440 that's been BIOS modded to say it's a more modern card.
>>
>>160568
Which brings me back to not wanting to buy used, that way I can have at least a warranty of some fashion to avoid DOA and bad cards, etc.

Any other suggestions for actual new cards on the market in the sub $50 category. It doesn't have to be a 1080, just need something for the World of Warcraft at acceptable frame rate and medium/low detail. Resolution isn't a big factor either as far as I'm concerned.

I've narrowed it down a little bit just going by what's available. Anybody care to weigh in on whether I should get a nvidia GT 710 or a Radeon HD 5450? Which one is likely to perform better? I haven't really been able to get a straight answer comparison between the two and also don't know if they will be quite good enough to run wow at 30-60 fps consistantly.
>>
>>160632
The HD 5450 is truly ancient. In that price bracket you can get better, even from AMD.

The GT 710 would be a much better choice and should run WoW at acceptable frame rates. I mean, if she was happy with the HD 4350, pretty much *anything* is going to do better.

Be careful, though: what model/brand is it? There are versions that are slimmed down PCI-e 1x variants that are only good to drive displays and are completely unsuitable for gaming. Whatever you do, don't get one of those, get a card with a full PCI-e 16x interface.
>>
>>160658
Yeah, I noticed those PCI-e 1x ones, I didn't even know they had those until I started researching this for her. I was just confused by the reviews I read for the GT 710 card, as most people rate it as very poor for graphics, but I think I'll give it a shot, I'm sure it will be better than what she currently has.
>>
>>160670
Well, it *is* very poor, by any modern standard, if you went for a new system even the integrated Intel graphics are about as good. This clocks frame rates for Bioshock Infinite at 1080p on high at a whopping 6 FPS, and BI isn't exactly considered a demanding game anymore. On the other hand, this is WoW we're talking about, and the GT 710 at least benchmarks better synthetically than an HD 4350, so... it should do.
>>
>>160672
Alrighty, might give the GT 710 a go, if she doesn't like it that's her problem. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>160688
If you can, let us know how it worked out (as in the FPS she gets). If it doesn't work I can avoid advising it in the future and/or work on a better way to evaluate the really low end, since it's a morass of rebrands and cards that are never properly benchmarked (for obvious reasons).
>>
>>160689
I'll be sure to do that.
>>
>>160174
Protip: Avoid any nVidia card like the plague

>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRSPXMQ/
>Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 240 GDDR3-2GB DVI-D/HDMI/D-SUB OC Video Graphics Cards GV-R724OC-2GI REV2.0
>Price: $59.99
>used from $52.49
>>
>>160808
That's a sub-$100 card, not a sub-$50 card. You're cheating. And don't tell me you'd really buy that used.
>>
>>160813
There's nothing wrong with buying used.
>>
>>160828
I'm not saying buying used never makes sense, but in a case like this, where you could save a whopping $7.50 if the stars align right at the expense of more hassle if they don't, I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>160841
It's not a mechanical hard drive nor is it filled with cheap Chinese capacitors.
>>
>>160841
You're being a Jew by limiting yourself to $50 but saving $7 is out of the question?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.