[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Static Electricity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (5KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 194x260px
I am thinking of building a new computer, what is the best way to not kill it with static electricity?
>>
>>159048
Use an anti-static wristband or at least touch a piece metal beforehand
>>
>>159049
Aaah, i see, Yes those wrist bands seem quite good, thank you
>>
Those wristbands are like snake oil. Just touch the back of the case every so often.
>>
>>159095
alternatively, rub your hands with snake oil before you attach the anti-static wristband.
>>
>>159095
Yeah, that's why Foxconn uses millioms of them.

Snake oil.
>>
>>159048
Hang a wet towel in your room for a couple of hours. Static electricity ain't got no time for moisture.
>>
>>159048
Get a wristband or alternatively mount the PSU first, plug it in to an earthed socket but don't turn on the switch on the PSU. Touch the case every so often and you'll be fine.

I've built more than ten rigs over the past two decades, never used a wristband and never fried a part.
>>159097
It's not as big a deal as it's made out to be but in an assembly line like that they want to minimise risk. They also wear gloves and dust masks, do you think OP needs those two?
>>
File: case4[1].jpg (73KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
case4[1].jpg
73KB, 600x450px
>>159230
>do you think OP needs those two?
They wear them to stop getting fingerprints on the goods.

If OP needs to not get fingerprints on his PC, then yes, absolutely.
>>
>>159236
>They wear them to stop getting fingerprints on the goods.
Manufacturers also recommend that you don't touch the PCB or the connectors because the grease on your fingers *could* damage something. Miniscule chance but it's there.
>>
>>159246
Sure, but Foxconn uses them so they don't get fingerprints on the goods.

There are hundreds of stations in each assembly line, and most of them don't touch PCBs.

But in any case, the reason
>Manufacturers also recommend that you don't touch the PCB or the connectors
is because they assume you're a dumbass who's not gonna be using ESD protection, and thinks that you can "Touch the case every so often and you'll be fine.".
>>
>>159258
>Sure, but Foxconn uses them so they don't get fingerprints on the goods.
Yeah, because our fingers certainly aren't covered in oils that are harmful to electronics.
>is because they assume you're a dumbass who's not gonna be using ESD protection
Unless you're in an environment where static is a serious issue, you really won't be needing ESD protection but you're right, it is partially also to do with that.
>>
File: Yq8taPX.jpg (110KB, 1415x765px) Image search: [Google]
Yq8taPX.jpg
110KB, 1415x765px
>>159272
>our fingers certainly aren't covered in oils that are harmful to electronics.
Exactly correct. Household dust is made of skin flakes, skin flakes contain skin oils, and if skin oils were harmful to electronics, every electronic device that ever encountered the air in a house would be melting.

> it is partially also to do with that.
It's not "partially also to do with that.", that is the whole and complete reason.

ESD damage isn't just "I touched it and it went pop and now it's broken". Far more common is "I touched it without a strap, and a miniscule discharge I never even noticed happened, and now something I never saw got a bit broken, and my device works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't".

A decent way to mitigate this kind of damage and reduce the amount of stuff broken then sent back by dumb customers is to warn your dumb customers not to touch any of the worky bits.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.