[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to anime. Help?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 72571.jpg (503KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
72571.jpg
503KB, 1920x1200px
Hello, Everyone.

As the subject says, I'm very new to anime and I don't really know what to watch. I'm also new to /wsr/ and /a/ although I was on 4chan a few years ago. So please go easy on me.

Yes, I know, I've checked out a lot of recommendation flipcharts or graphics, but here's the thing:

I can't really find one, that I like.

I watched Attack on Titan last week and was completely in love with it. Only trouble: It took me just one night to finish it all.
And the last time I watched anime before that was maybe 5 years ago, when I saw the 2003 series of FMA and Elfen Lied. Both were truly amazing.

Now, why I'm asking you guys for help is this:
I've checked out mutliple animes for me to watch, but there was always something bugging me.
Darker than black seemed fine at first, but I realized that there isn't really a strong main story to follow. Although there is a development, all the episodes are to the most part independent stories on their own. That bothers me a lot as I like to see a continuously developing storyline and the protagonists working towards a goal.
Other options for me were Kabaneri of the Iron fortress, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Deadman Wonderland. However, they're all probably just a "one-night-stand-anime" as well, since they have only one season each.
FMA Brotherhood also isn't an option for me since I still know very well what's happening in the 2003 series.

It's kinda hard to match my taste because the only thing I usually watch or read (series, movies, anime, books ) is Sci Fi, Fantasy or Something along that direction. It all needs some kind of twist, some kind of mystery to be revealed as well for it to be interesting to me. Black Lagoon, for example, lacked that. Although it's probably a very good anime. What really made me love Attack on Titan was the mystery behind their origin, their different behaviours, etc.

So... Can you guys give me a recommendation or any advice? Or are my expectations just too high?
>>
File: 20th century anime infographic.jpg (1006KB, 1631x2870px) Image search: [Google]
20th century anime infographic.jpg
1006KB, 1631x2870px
>>158480
first off you sound underage, wall of texts suck dick so don't blog. don't use ellipses and lurk more.

>animes
plural of anime is anime, same with manga.

>1 night stand anime
1 cours are probably more than 90% of all shows, get used to it.

you sound like you want edgy/technical shows like
>legend of the galactic heroes
>lain
>texhnolyze
>higurashi

>FMA Brotherhood also isn't an option for me since I still know very well what's happening in the 2003 series.
what does this even mean? you watched 03 so you don't want to watch brotherhood? they are the same exact story, brotherhood is just condensed and more true to the manga.

if you want space drama/sci-fi type shit watch the gundam series or use pic related. go watch eva
>>
>>158485

OP here.

I'm not underage and that wall of text was required to get my point across.

I don't want to watch Brotherhood because they are the exact same story.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. I will check them out.

Can you personally recommend lain?
>>
>>158480
Good anime for starters:
>Gurren Lagann
>Psycho-Pass
>Cowboy Bebop
>Gundam 00
>Trigun
>Monster
>>
>>158501
Lain is great but don't watch it yet
>>
>>158501
you should probably watch more stuff before you see it. i have like 850 completed
>>
>>158504

Thank you.

>>158506

Why not? Is it bad for starters?
>>
File: 1284751708378.jpg (3MB, 2610x3700px) Image search: [Google]
1284751708378.jpg
3MB, 2610x3700px
>>158501
>exact same story
Nope. Initially the same but they diverge half way through. I understand not wanting to watch it initially afterwards but they have different plots and themes.

Lain is good but it doesn't seem like you would enjoy it right now. It's a mindfuck and quite an artsy show, it's probably better for you to watch when you've got some anime under your belt.

I would also rewatch Darker than Black and NGE. Both are considered head and toes above shows like Elfen Lied and Attack on Titan, and if you're looking for a strong plot and twists then both have that.

I'm not sure what you mean with 'one night stand anime' as well, considering NGE is 26 episodes and 1 movie and Darker than Black is 25 episodes, a 4 episode OVA then 12 episodes. Most shows don't run longer than that.

I guess from what you've said two shows you might like are Steins;Gate and Trigun

>Steins;Gate
Group of friends based around a failed research lab accidentally discover time travel.
>Trigun
Insurance employees are sent to warn people away from the most dangerous outlaw in the wasteland, apparently capable of destroying cities.
>>
>>158507
its entry level for "muh deep" anime. just start watching shows, you'll have to see it eventually
>>
>>158508

Thank you for that elaborate answer.

Regarding lain:
Good point. I'll follow your advice then and keep it in the back of my head. I will surely watch it after having seen some other stuff.

The trouble with brotherhood is, that even if they diverge in the middle, they do basically tell the same story. And they also have the same ending, I think.
Please correct me, if that's wrong.

>Most shows don't run longer than that.

You're probably right about that.
As I said, I'm new to Anime in general and the ones that I have seen or know about (Elfen Lied, FMA, Dragon Ball, Naturo.. ) do run a lot longer. So naturally I thought that most anime would be of the same length.

>Trigun & Stein's Gate
I will definitely watch Trigun at some point. But I don't know if it will be the next anime I watch.

I will probably settle with either Trigun, Higurashi or Texhnolyze for now.
>>
>>158516

>And they also have the same ending, I think.

The reason there are two different stories in the first place is because the manga was only half completed when the anime was being produced. The 2003 or original series went ahead and made up their own ending, whereas Brotherhood followed the manga. Basically, the endings are different.

> I will probably settle with either Trigun, Higurashi or Texhnolyze for now.

Higurashi is a weird beast, some people love it, some hate it. It's an interesting horror anime anyhow.

Can't say I've seen Texhnolyze past the first episode, but just from that, I'm not sure how good of a beginner anime it would be. I was personally put off by the total lack of dialogue and explanation in the first episode, but I guess you can find out yourself.
>>
>>158522

I see. I'll settle with Trigun for now. Seems like I have an anime to watch.

Thank you for your help and have a good day, mate.
>>
>>158516
>even if they diverge in the middle, they do basically tell the same story
Not even close. The 2003 anime only adapted about 30% of the manga's story, it did not even get to the introduction of the main villain of the series. The anime team at Bones had to cook one up for themselves. I can't remember what episode the 2003 anime splits from, but to give you an idea of how early in the story the 2003 anime splits, it's around episode 15 (of 64) in Brotherhood that the stories divide.

Brotherhood has tons of characters and subplots that were never in the 2003 version. Like the Xingese, Fort Briggs with Major Armstrong's older sister, the coup on the Fuhrer, etc.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.