[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old laptop troubleshooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I recently found this laptop in my basement and I would like to just wipe everything and restore it to factory new condition (or as close as possible). The problem is that it looks like this (see pic related). It gets to the initial Inspiron boot screen then goes black. It is running Win 7 and has Intel i3 processor. That is all the information I have on this thing. Any help appreciated and thanks in advance
>>
Side note- is my is fucked because my graphics card at least works.
>>
>>154432
Is my OS*
>>
>>154430
go into the bios and run the recovery option. and yes the install is screwed.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Update: I'm in the bios but can't find recovery mode
>>
>.>
Can you get into bios first? (Spam the shit out of the del key or google to find the bios key).

Sorry if instruction is bad, this is from my memory.

This method is the "fuck it IDC about horseshit"

If you want to do a clean install for this laptop, it will be hard because the official windows 7 iso was taken down a while ago cuz windows 10.

Anyways, if you end up finding it, go make a bootable usb or install disc. Then put it in and get into bios so you can rearrange the boot process. Make ur USB or dvd the first thing it boots into. Then exit.

Then when prompt "hit key to boot" go ahead and hit ur favorite key. Then you will see a menu with a "next" button. DONT CLICK IT YET. Go over to the side and hit "recover". Go over to " cmd" and type in "diskpart" and enter. then type in "check disk" or "disk list" to show you the harddrives. Then select the hard drive by typing in "select disk #". then type in " clean all" and wait for a few hours. this will reset all ur 1's to 0's in your harddrive.

Then when you are done, reboot and get back into the install menu like before. Hit next and then enter your windows key which should be on the back of your laptop. hit continue and etc till ur done with install.

Last part, you are going to need to get drivers for your computer. In my experience the USB ports don't work yet. If it works for you that is good news. If not, you will need to go burn stuff onto a CD/dvd.

Go google ur computer model like "dell insperon xyz drivers" and download all of the latest ones. Make sure you have the correct model and official website.

If ur USB port work, go put all of them on a USB stick and install it from there.

If if it doesn't work, go burn all of them onto a disk (if you can find one).

Google is ur friend. Good luck
>>
Also if performance is sluggish, you can always try Linux.
>>
>>154457
Thanks a lot I appreciate the help
>>
>>154456
Is that picture above your reply the bios because if not I am screwed
>>
>>154462
Yes! It should say bios on the bottom or something of that nature
>>
>>154464
I lied, but yes it is the bios because you can see the boot and security tabs
>>
>>154466
Thanks I think I can go to Microsoft official website to get the home premium 32 or 64 bit iso to put on my disc. Am I on the right track?
>>
>>154475
I have home premium should I go with 32 or 64 bit
>>
>Win 7
>can go to Microsoft official website to get the home premium 32 or 64 bit iso
not anymore. all the iso files for windows less than 10 have been removed (win 8.1 media creation tool no downloads win 10 iso).
>>
>>154484
Yeah that was what I meant earlier, Im pretty sure they removed it a while back cuz windows 10. However windows 8 media creation tool should still work.
>>
Also, one thing I'm not to sure about is whether you can upgrade to windows 10 without windows installed (as in using the product key on a website or something ). Anyways if you end up finding a windows 7 iso, get the exact same one the sticker on the back of your laptop says. The sticker has a shiny ribbon with words on it
>>
>>154490
Back of the laptop. Currently torrenting 32 bit one but not sure whether or not to get 32 or 64. I can't check through the computer I don't think because OS will not boot
>>
>>154492
Just realized I accidentally included product code in pic. Taking a new one
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>154493
>>
File: IMG_20160711_214437.jpg (6MB, 3120x4208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160711_214437.jpg
6MB, 3120x4208px
It's 64 bit

I don't think the key is interchangeable between 64 and 32.

Anothr thing to note is that 64bit should be more efficient than 32 cuz math
>>
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-intel-n5040/drivers

Here are the drivers just for ahead of time
>>
>>154502
how do i download the drivers do i have to download all of the files on the page of that link?
>>
>>154510
Nono, just the latest/newest version of each type. Here Ill tell u what to get

Get the only audio file in the audio tab

Get the hm57/hm67 chipset and realtek card reader under chipset tab

Get the first file in modem/communications tab

Get the first 3 files in the mouse, keyboard. And input tab

Get the first file in network tab

And finally get the intel HD graphics driver ( which is also rbe first thing in videos)

Once you get the windows 7 install finish, go install these drivers.
>>
>>154513
seriously i really appreciate this man if you can timestamp or screencap that it was you helping i would be willing to send like 10 bucks over paypal
>>
>>154513
also to clarify i burn all of these files on to a disc? also are all of these installed in BIOS or after boot up of new OS?
>>
Don't worry about it pal, I just like to help.

Basically you want to take your .iso file and do this with it. --v

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

This should be easy/friendly.

BIOS (from the best I can explain) is the brain minus the memory. Will explain in another comment
>>
You don't have to burn anything to a disk, USB is just fine.

If I linked the correct thing you should be able to create a bootable usb with windows 7 on it. Make sure it is the 64 bit home premium version.
>>
>>154525
yeah i understand BIOS now after googng it, thanks. next screen doesn't have recover on it
just language to install, time and currency format, and keyboard or input method. all have dropdown bars with various languages then there is "next" at the bottom right.
>>
>>154525
also if i use their tool, is it possible they would be able to detect a torrented file vs non torrented?
>>
Bios is basically a brain without memory/harddrive( I think). It can communicate between all the hardware (body parts).

Better way of putting it is that a human potato/vegetable is like a computer with no memory/hard drive. It can maybe walk and smile but it won't do things like calculus or physics.

One of the most important things is that the bios can rearrange boot order. this is like a instruction for the computer on what to look for first.

This is helpful because you tell the computer to "look at the usb first" or "look at the harddrive first"
>>
No, the program shouldn't really do that type of stuff. People also use it for installing Linux on usb sticks back then
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Currently installing it
>>
>>154536
:D THAT IS GREAT
>>
>>154537
will i need to use the disc/usb every time after i install it?
>>
>>154538
Sorry I'm not sure what ur asking.

Once you are done installing, you do not need the usb/disc plugged in anymore. You should be able to boot without it as if you bought it. (However you still need to install drivers).

If you need to reinstall windows again or need to repair your computer, you will need to do the same thing that you are doing currently.

I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question
>>
Basically leave it in until you see the windows 7 desktop. Tbst should do the trick
>>
>>154543
after i see windows desktop then i install drivers?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
What do
>>
>>154546
click 3rd one.
>>
>>154545
Yup! Try to install the drivers from a usb stick first.

I have been told that for laptops the usb 3.0 (which are the ports with blue plastic) don't work yet.

You can go ahead and try but if it doesn't work, try sticking it in a usb 2.0 port (which is no blue).

If that doesn't work, try to change the usb stick to a usb 2.0 stick

Worse comes to worse, if nothing above works then you might need to get a clean CD and burn all the drivers onto the disc and install from there.
>>
>>154546
I usually just delete all of then and hit new and then next
>>
Ok, that should be it for this thread because the install is taking a while thanks for all the help!

Thanks for showing a /b/ tard the way
>>
>>154557
Ayyy no problem, enjoy new portable fap machine
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.