[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some essential entry-core anime for newbies to the genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: anime.png (134KB, 2000x1778px) Image search: [Google]
anime.png
134KB, 2000x1778px
What are some essential entry-core anime for newbies to the genre?
>>
>>122362
naruto, bleach, attack on titan, death note, steins' gate, evangelion
>>
File: anime reference.jpg (948KB, 1460x2350px) Image search: [Google]
anime reference.jpg
948KB, 1460x2350px
What kind of anime do you like?
Mecha? Slice of life? Action?
Here's kind of an older chart, but it's still pretty solid.
>>
>>122369
I am a newbie..I've never seen an anime.

As for what kinds of fiction I like in general, I like a lot of stuff.

>Cyberpunk
>horror with a goth-tinge
>high fantasy
>slice of life' in space (i.e. people chilling in a space station, not so much fighting for the fate of a galaxy)
>urban storytelling, stories about general everyday life in big cities
>>
>>122374
The first season of Psycho-Pass is one of the best modern cyberpunk series. There's a version that has 12 44-minute long episodes, they pretty mashed the other half together and fixed animation issues so watch that one.
>>
>>122374

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood I feel is a pretty decent way to get into anime as a whole. It's 64 episodes long, so be prepared for the long haul. It's completely worth it though.

The Ghost in the Shell franchise would probably interest you. It's got cyber-punk and it takes some episodes to expand on the world a bit. I recommend to either start with the first Ghost in the Shell movie (1995) and then watch Innocence [or] start with Stand Alone Complex season 1 and 2 and the Solid State Society and then watch whatever you didn't watch. And then you can watch Arise if you want. Most people don't like Arise, but I thought it was decent.
Steamboy isn't cyber-punk, but steam-punk is close enough. It's not perfect, but it does a lot of interesting things as well as phenomenal animation.

If you want fantasy, most Ghibli films are a good place to start. Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, Nausicaa, etc.

Death Note isn't exactly horror, but it's got a dark kind of art style and sense to it as well as interesting characters and premise.

I haven't watched Planetes, but it's probably as close to "slice of life in space" as I can think of without really looking around. Cowboy Bebop could also be described like that. Both the series and movie are fantastic.

For urban storytelling, Tokyo Godfathers fits the bill decently. It's a movie, so it doesn't get to explore a lot of the city, but it's a really great watch, one of my favorites. I think Patlabor might fit this "genre" as well. Start with the first 7 OVAs and then watch the two movies if you want. Haven't watched the TV show, but I hear it's good. Yozakura Quartet might fit this, too. Dennou Coil's kind of iffy, but I'll add it in as well.

Probably a little too overwhelming and wordy, but just know that all of those are good stuff.
>>
>>122374
Ghost in the Shell and Akira
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Kemonozume
Berserk and Record of the Lodoss War
Space Brothers and Planetes

Not sure about "urban storytelling"
>>
>>122374

I think Baccano! might fit "urban storytelling" as well? Durarara!! fits the genre perfect, actually. And it's got five seasons exploring that city. Gatchaman Crowds season 1 and 2 maybe, too.

Dandy's also another "slice of life in space" sort of anime.
>>
File: 1449102203878.gif (719KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1449102203878.gif
719KB, 480x320px
>>122381
This anon has it.
>>
>>122367
Naruto is way to long and has way too much filler.
>>
>>122446
Plus it's shit.
>>
>>122452
You are a sheep without self opinions
>>
Lucky Star
Ore no Imouto
Neon Genesis Evangelion
>>
File: 1457245282257.jpg (72KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
1457245282257.jpg
72KB, 720x690px
>>122369
>Allowing SEED onto a recommendations list
>ever
brb gotta go to the bathroom, can't seem to stop this projectile vomiting for the life of me.
>>
>>122362
Bakemonogatari
Cowboy bebop
Hellsing ultimate
>>
Hajime no Ippo, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho for entry level shonen
Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Darker than Black for episodic action shows
Gurren Lagann, Gundam 0083, Macross Frontier for entry level mecha
Giant Robo, Evangelion, Votoms for more serious mecha series
Azumanga Daioh, Ika Musume, Love Lab for cutesy-comedy moe shows
Haibane Renmei, Aria, K-On! for more laid-back, slice of life moe shows
Death Note, Parasyte, Ergo Proxy for entry-level wow DEEP & wowow PSYCHOLOGICAL anime
Utena, Tatami Galaxy, Paranoia Agent for stuff from actual auteurs
>>
>>122446
Skip the filler, same for One Piece and Bleach.

>>123086
>Death Note, Parasyte, Ergo Proxy for entry-level wow DEEP & wowow PSYCHOLOGICAL anime
This all the way, these kinds of anime are the ones that I always manage to get my friends sucked into anime with. I'd add Monster as well, and 20th Century Boys and Battle Royal if they are interested in manga.
>>
>>122374
For a pretty ubarn story I'd recommend reading (but not watching) Tokyo Ghoul

While it has obvious horror elements it centers around worldbuilding and sociocultural struggles moreso than being as edgy as possible (which it also does pretty well)

There's also stuff like Jojo and Hunter X Hunter, which while being action adventure titles, they usually have a lot of background info interspersed around story events, and have a few good arcs that take place in big cities. Jojo in particular, being set in the real world, has some stuff that sort of pops in like the author was watching some random bullshit on NatGeo and said "oh this is neat how can I write about this in my weekly chapter?"

And if you just want straight urban city urban, there's Michiko e Hatchin (Brazilian road trip), Tokyo Tribes (fictional near future Tokyo), Durarara (Modern Tokyo) & Baccano (1930s America), Blood Blockade Battlefront (New York as directed by Guillermo Del Toro) and Gangsta (fictional shithole)
>>
File: 1438839972495.jpg (2MB, 1580x2350px) Image search: [Google]
1438839972495.jpg
2MB, 1580x2350px
>>122369
This chart has a lot of mediocre to even straight up bad stuff, like Air and Kanon, and apparently Love Hina and probably others.

Here's the chart updated in 2015 that adds some newer stuff, along with some good stuff this overlooked, and removes the trash.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.