[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Expanse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 46

>>
>>903428
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E01 Mao 02.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E01 Mao 02.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>903438
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E01 Mao 3.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E01 Mao 3.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>903442
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>903428
I love the opening
>>
>>903466
I do too, they changed it up after the pilot epsiode.

And I have a "Embedded file" error..grr
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E01.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E01.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E01 burn 2 - s.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E01 burn 2 - s.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>903482
4chan is really not liking these webms
>>
>>
>>903496
>>
>>
>>
>>904042
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E02 Hamster.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E02 Hamster.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E02 Twitch - s.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E02 Twitch - s.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E02 Scar.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E02 Scar.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>
>>904074
Will post stuff from episodes 3-6 in the morning.
>>
>>904282

You forgot the zero-G sex scene. I am disappoint.
>>
>>904309
4chan kept saying it was a "Embedded file" and wouldn't let me upload it.
>>
>>903428
Cheers for making this thread as requested
>>
>>904063
Gotta love those small details. Dat coriolis effect.
>>
>>904309
The sound version always triggers the "Embedded file" screen. So here is the soundless version.
>>
>>904682
Indeed

>>904613
No problem
>>
>>
>>904881
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E03 MCRN.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E03 MCRN.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E03 Politics.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E03 Politics.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E03 Mormons.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E03 Mormons.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>
>>
>>904907
>>
>>904910
>>
>>904911
>>
>>
Gonna take a break for a bit. Forgot how webmable Episode 3 and 4 were.
>>
>>904334
Change the file name and try again.
>>
>>905033
still thinks it a embedded file.
>>
This thread sucks and this show looks cringy as fuck
>>
>>904944
Wait, that woman in that Asian dress, didn't she do voice acting for a mass effect character?

Could have sworn she was the voice actor for one of those Quarian admirals.
>>
>>905067
Yes she did, Google says she played admiral Shala'Raan vas Tonbay

>>905064
Then fuck off and watch the walking dead.
>>
>>
>>905200
hoookayyyyy
>>
>>905200
why isn't he chocking any girl in that ?
>>
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E04 Strap in.webm (4MB, 800x448px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E04 Strap in.webm
4MB, 800x448px
>>
>>905200
HOLY SHIT I CANT REMEMBER HIS NAME. HELP
>>
>>
Man, i like the show, but they paced it kind of weird, at least in my opinion. I know they stuck to the books as close as they did, but goddamn it still feels like it pulls away from them, and that they could have stuck closer to them.
>>
>>905277
Indeed, they are going at a very determined pace, perhaps slower then the books as they added a few plot lines and they introduced some the earth characters that don't show up till book 2. feels like they want to make book 1 into two seasons.
>>
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E04 Splash.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E04 Splash.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>
Thomas Jane is one of my favorite actors, I don't give a fuck. I'll check this out thanks OP
>>
How do I dl/record flash?
>>
lurking late at night
>>
>>905237
That whole scene really disappointed me.
Why is the captain conducting negotiations with a prisoner on the bridge?
Why are the crew not all in pressure suits for combat?
Why are the officers not strapped in for combat like the rest of the crew? Are they somehow more disposable?
Why are these supposedly no nonsense martians so laisez-faire about fighting the unknown threat at first? Even if you don't think there's a possibility of losing, you still want to minimize damage and casualties.
>>
>>906043
* minimize damage and casualties, ammunition ammunition used, possibly disable ships to capture the obviously cutting edge tech, take prisoners.
They keep bringing up communications jamming, for plot convenience, but how the hell do you jam a transmitter? Deploying chaff clouds? They mention it's based on range, so ok, why is the goddamn flagship not equipped with something like pods that separate, escape to outside jamming range and transmit important messages?
Why is evacuating a warship such a long and complicated process?
And how do the mystery attackers acquire tech that beats anything wielded by any of the 2 major inhabited planets which are at a state of cold war with each other and are therefore no doubt spending a lot on this.
>>
>>906043
>That whole scene really disappointed me.
>Why is the captain conducting negotiations with a prisoner on the bridge?
Holden is not a prisoner, he is a guest and the one they suspect is the girl with them who appears to be OPA. He is a former UN Naval officer who may be able to give information they do not know.

>Why are the crew not all in pressure suits for combat?
Same reason why most soldiers do not go into battle with NBC gear on. It slows you down and impedes one effectiveness.

>Why are the officers not strapped in for combat like the rest of the crew? Are they somehow more disposable?
They need to move and they have Mag-boots on. you can clearly see the captain turn hers on.

>Why are these supposedly no nonsense martians so laisez-faire about fighting the unknown threat at first?
They at first think it 1 or more OPA ships who wouldn't be a remote threat to them. They get a lot more serious as soon as that is shown to be wrong.

>Even if you don't think there's a possibility of losing, you still want to minimize damage and casualties.
Till the officer informs the captain that the torpedoes are really good they think the ships are going to blown up and the PDC are going to take care of it.

>They keep bringing up communications jamming, for plot convenience, but how the hell do you jam a transmitter? Deploying chaff clouds? They mention it's based on range, so ok, why is the goddamn flagship not equipped with something like pods..
Jamming is done by transmission of radio that overpowers the transmission of another transmitter. You can hear it happen all the time with both Korea's or Cuba/US till recently.
>>
>>906194
As for the pods - By the time they would feel the need to do so, the enemy ships are so close they would blow up that pod. Thus they want to put the data on a ship that could fight it way out.

>Why is evacuating a warship such a long and complicated process?
The issue is that they wanted to get Holden and Lopez, the Intel officer, from the Bridge to the hanger on a ship that was boarded by unknown enemy. Then Holden insists to pick up is regular crew, which requires them to make a airway to them since they are in a isolated pocket of the ship. They wanted to make sure the ship Holden and Lopez got to would be able to defend itself and get to Mars.

>And how do the mystery attackers acquire tech that beats anything wielded by any of the 2 major inhabited planets which are at a state of cold war with each other and are therefore no doubt spending a lot on this.
That is one of the two great riddles in the first book, (Along with what happened to Julie Mao) And to tell you would spoil the entire plot of the book.
>>
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E04 fred 1.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E04 fred 1.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>906209
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E04 Fred 2.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E04 Fred 2.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>906215
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E04 Fred 3.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E04 Fred 3.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>906219
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E04 rail guns.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E04 rail guns.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>906073
>And how do the mystery attackers acquire tech that beats anything wielded by any of the 2 major inhabited planets which are at a state of cold war with each other and are therefore no doubt spending a lot on this.
Think about it. You already met some of the people involved.
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E04 combat 1.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E04 combat 1.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>
File: The.Expanse.S01E04 combat 2.webm (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The.Expanse.S01E04 combat 2.webm
4MB, 720x404px
>>906237
>>
>>906240
Going to be out of pocket till late sunday. Thread should be able to survive till then.
>>
>>906240
What the hell happened to him?
>>
>>906194
>Holden is not a prisoner, he is a guest
They weren't invited onto the Martian ship, they were captured. They interrogate them one by one and put them in cells. Yeah they relax the conditions later on, but it's not like they were given an option to leave.
And even if they were guests, it's still no reason to have this non-martian in the control centre of the ship.

>Same reason why most soldiers do not go into battle with NBC gear on.
They do when there's a risk chemical attack. And it's not like the people on the bridge need to move anywhere. Hell, there shouldn't even be a bridge. Each officer controlling a vital system should be in his own armored capsule communicating electronically.

>Jamming is done by transmission of radio that overpowers the transmission of another transmitter.
Yeah, that's how you prevent someone from receiving a signal. Not transmitting one.
>>
>>907042
Railgun round through his head.
>>
>>907538
>Yeah, that's how you prevent someone from receiving a signal. Not transmitting one.
A distinction without a difference. You're kinda pedantic, aren't you? Especially considering you don't understand what chaff is for.

>>907538
>Hell, there shouldn't even be a bridge. Each officer controlling a vital system should be in his own armored capsule communicating electronically.
Or the CIC could just be a single armoured capsule itself. Like it is in the show. They're deep within the ship. They could have breathing masks available if required.

As I tend to ask with people like you; are there any sc-fi shows that do satisfy your autsitic and ever changing requirements?
>>
>>907928
>A distinction without a difference.
The difference is, jamming could have prevented the Martian ship from receiving a reply, not sending a report about their situation, unless there was someone jamming the receiver on Mars, which they had no way of knowing.
>Especially considering you don't understand what chaff is for.
Chaff is for reflecting radio waves, which is what presumably the ship was using to transmit the message.
>>
>>907538
>>Holden is not a prisoner, he is a guest
>They weren't invited onto the Martian ship, they were captured. They interrogate them one by one and put them in cells. Yeah they relax the conditions later on, but it's not like they were given an option to leave.
They where guests, just like US sailors who sailed into Iranian waters. Also they made a clear choice to not run from the Mars ship.

>And even if they were guests, it's still no reason to have this non-martian in the control centre of the ship.
He was no threat and they were trying to pump him for information on the ships that were approaching..

>>Same reason why most soldiers do not go into battle with NBC gear on.
>They do when there's a risk chemical attack. And it's not like the people on the bridge need to move anywhere. Hell, there shouldn't even be a bridge. Each officer controlling a vital system should be in his own armored capsule communicating electronically.
Electronic communications is a stupid idea since that is easily enough to be disrupted. Same reason why navy doesn't just communicate with electronics. It is a the CIC (It wasn't a bridge) is a armored section deep in the ship that can be cut off from the rest of the ship if boarded.

>>Jamming is done by transmission of radio that overpowers the transmission of another transmitter.
>Yeah, that's how you prevent someone from receiving a signal. Not transmitting one.
Look, you just showed that you know nothing. If you jam a frequency hard enough and near enough to the transmitter no one is going to be hearing a fucking thing from that transmitter.
>>
>>908105

>>Especially considering you don't understand what chaff is for.
>Chaff is for reflecting radio waves, which is what presumably the ship was using to transmit the message.

Radio =/= Radar.
>The difference is, jamming could have prevented the Martian ship from receiving a reply, not sending a report about their situation, unless there was someone jamming the receiver on Mars, which they had no way of knowing.

No, if you put a jammer near enough to the transmitter and it is strong enough the only thing anyone will receive is the jamming. For example, if the radio transmission is at 50kilowatts and the jammer is at 200 or 500 kilowatts, no one going to hear the 50 kilowatt transmission
>>
>>908509
>Radio =/= Radar
>Look, you just showed that you know nothing.
>>
>>908550
Radar uses Electromagnetic spectrum well beyond radio waves.
>>
>>908560
How goddamn stupid are you? Do you not know that RADAR is an acronym for RAdio Detection And Ranging?

Most medium to long-range radar operates in the 1-10GHz range, which is also used by things like cellular phones, WiFi, microwave radio links, satellite uplinks, and a bunch of other radio communications systems.
>>
>>908627
Yes I know what Radar stands for.

And Radars go from HF to W bands (100m to about 7.5 mm.) Anything below 1m is Microwave, not Radio wave.

Not all electromagnetic radiation is Radio waves anon. Radar is electromagnetic radiation as it now uses bands that are too short for radio waves. It was called Radar since in WW2 they couldn't produce enough power to do Microwave systems, otherwise Radar would be called Eadar or Midar or something else.
>>
>>908643
I don't know how you got the idea that the microwave bands aren't part of the radio spectrum, but it's totally wrong. According to the NTIA, ITU, FCC, and anybody else who matters, the radio spectrum runs from VLF to millimeter wave. If you want to use a looser definition of radio, i.e. non-visible EM radiation used for telecommunications, then it still extends well into the microwave bands. But since you seem to be in full-on sperg mode, we should probably stick to official definitions.

More importantly, radar and telecom applications are interspersed in the same chunks of spectrum. It's not like all radar is at one end and all telecom is at the other. The difference between the two is a matter of use, not wavelength.

Also, all of the Allied powers were using microwave radar systems by the early 1940s. Centimeter wave radar was working in labs by the early 30s. Incidentally, do you know how microwave ovens were invented? A guy standing in front of a WWII radar set noticed that his candy bar melted.
>>
>>908643
I have a black box mounted inside my car. It has some buttons and a microphone, and is connected to an antenna on the roof. I can speak into it and other people far away can hear me, and I can hear them. It transmits and receives on the 800 MHz public safety band, or about 37cm. Would you describe this box as a microwave or a radio?
>>
>>908509
>For example, if the radio transmission is at 50kilowatts and the jammer is at 200 or 500 kilowatts, no one going to hear the 50 kilowatt transmission
They will if the radio is coupled to a directional antenna, while the jammer is an omnidirectional noise generator.
>>
>>908723
I am not going to call a microwave system radio waves, But it obvious that we are just arguing over the definition of what is a radio wave and not how stuff actually works.
>>
Jesus, come back and see this thread is about if sub meter waves are radar or Microwaves.

>Never change Sci-fi fans.
>>
File: railgun.webm (4MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
railgun.webm
4MB, 640x360px
>>906240
Slightly lengthened it up for you.
>>
>>910055
Looks good anon.
>>
>>909230
OK, tell you what, you stop nitpicking other peoples' knowledge of trivial electronics bullshit and I'll stop nitpicking yours.
>>
>>907588

"Through" kind of implies his head's still intact, doesn't it?
>>
>>905195
>they killed havelock

he's such a bro in the book though :(
>>
>>910476
[spoiler]Future medical care baybeeeeeee[/spoiler]
>>
>>910476
He lives..it was just a scratch.

Also new episode on tonight.
>>
>>905277
they could of not made holden a fucking cuckold for one.
>>905284
>slower then the books
Are you high?
weve covered some book 2 ground already and are fucking 16 chapters in.
>>
>>907928
>>907538
>>908105
>>908509
they dont fucking use radio in the expanse for anything but close range ship to ship, the reason they cant communicate is because the ships are spraying their coms array with laser garbage and its preventing the laser coms array for getting a lock on mars based com receivers, you cant just "know where mars is" either because its a tightbeam, small pinprick of a laser beam.
also everyone fucking knew exactly what was going on (in terms of the fact the donnager was fighting and losing to somebody) because mars and the opa both had incredibly high powered telecscopes pointed directly at the fight, it just didnt matter because epstien drives are sublight that push a tiny fraction of lightspeed and the donnager was the only other ship anywhere nearby, not to mention even if their was a ship 15 minute burn away it wouldnt matter because fights last 2-3 minutes tops, even the fuckhuge fight in book 2 lasts a little over a minute.
a big thing the books makes clear is that gravity, air, and water are a fucking bitch, they dont work how you want them too, and people die because of it, and their isnt anything anybody can do about it.
>>
>>911176
to elaborate on the intercept times of allied ships orbital mechanics is something the the expanse kind of obeys (this is a big thing at the end of book 2), as in when ships go to a fight their usually isnt going to be any other ships showing up till after the fight is over because of how short fights are and the fact that plane changes are slow, and time consuming and epstien drives really arnt all the powerful in the grand sceme of things, sure weve pushed the trip between mars and earth at the closest point from months to days, but combat is so quick that its still far far far to slow for reinforcements to be a thing.
>>
>>910098
eh, their is were the books are superior in detail, in the books its explained that railgun rounds, and bullets in general (from space marine 20mm cannons to railguns) dont slow by any appreciable amount when they hit their target, and advances in material science make rounds fired out of a railgun that explode ineffective, so earth/opa/mars just poke holes in the enemy till they cant hold air anymore or someone hits someones else's reactor (the fusion reactors in the expanse are quite volatile, a breach usually leads to the entire ship turning into a glowing balls of plasma).
so sure his heads not intact, its more of just amalgamated with the tungsten alloy round and the antispalling rubber/composite hull plating.
>>908507
>Electronic communications is a stupid idea
electronic communications are the only viable options when dealing with distances of multiple AU, they just pick the least shit (light) method.
>>
>>908627
>>908643
>>908723
>>909230
how about your stupid radio argument is pointless because your filthy secondaries that dont know everyone uses laser tightbeam.
Yea lets use radio so in fleet vs fleet battles everyones in a virtual communication blackout because everyones using mult terawatt transmitters.
yea lets not use lasers which are much more secure. and cant be jammed in radius and have to be blasted with noise instead.
>>
>>911195
>electronic communications are the only viable options when dealing with distances of multiple AU, they just pick the least shit (light) method.
He was talking face to face in a bridge/CIC, not from the ship to mars anon.
>>
>>911248
jamming harden physical connections is extremely fucking hard so hes retard on both accounts.
>>
>>911684
I was referring to battle damage, it better to see someone physically, and not over a electronic device that can fail at the worse time on a bridge.
>>
>>905348
I never understood why the miniguns have this little eh, exhaust on the back. Anyone knows?
>>
>>912390
Could be some sort of coolant system dumping exhausted propellant from the gun, considering that heat dissipation is a lot harder in a vacuum?

Honestly we'd have to ask the show's design team to know what they were really thinking.
>>
>>912759
>>912390
If the Point defense guns use any type of chemical propellant to get to speed the gas excaping the back side may be to make the PDG recoil less so it does not cause control issues. It would be a non-issue on bigger ships but on smaller ships it would be a issue.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.