[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

programing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 44

File: loop-over-python-list-animation.gif (591KB, 350x444px) Image search: [Google]
loop-over-python-list-animation.gif
591KB, 350x444px
>>
>>1400766
wtf why?
>>
more?
>>
>>1400766
I'm going to school to eventually learn this in Uni and become a programmer.

This seems so foreign to me. When and how did you decide to get into programming?
>>
>>1400969
lol dont
>>
>>1401039
don't discourage him, it's hard work but it pays well
>>
>>1400969
You little sink hole, if you want become a programmer you don't need uni shit! Just fucking start doing it or you become Q.A.
>>
>>1400969
You need to be 18+ to browse this site.
>>
>>1400969
Don't wait until school it will only hurt you while there. Learn C/C++/Python/Java now while you have the time. Just look around at some projects and pick the language that looks the most fun/intuitive to you and go from there. If you need ideas then github has a lot of repo's dedicated to such things. Also learn git as soon as possible.
>>
>>1400766
python confirmed for middle schoolers
>>
File: node-js.webm (2MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
node-js.webm
2MB, 854x480px
>>
>>1401067
im in my second year of college...
>>
>>1401063
a lot of jobs are asking for a BA in CS
>>
>>1401077
How can I hire her to read copypasta?
>>
>>1401092
CSCI BA's are less intelligent and less skilled than CSCI BS's. no one wants a BA
>>
>>1401102
Sorry I meant a BS.
>>
File: 1413775162315.webm (3MB, 1372x756px) Image search: [Google]
1413775162315.webm
3MB, 1372x756px
>>
>>1401069
srsly
>>
>>1401069
hmm.. okay. thanks for the info. Any ideas where I could learn? That's basically what I was expecting to do after I transfer to Uni
>>
>>1401322
learnpythonthehardway is worth checking out

don't start with C or C++
>>
Dont listen to the people saying dont go school/uni and learn it. You teally should do it, I knew how tonprogram before uni however uni taught me the fundermentals that i would have never thought about and the maths based around your program.
>>
>>1401520
thank you. I'll check it out asap.
>>1401544
I know... I just need a title. I wasn't sure what to study but I've always been interested in programming to an extent...
>>
>>1400969

I got into programming like three or four years ago. I just had some ideas of software I wanted that didnt exist, and I had some time on my hands. Now I do it for $$$. Ive had other jobs and job opportunities that would prolly be more fun, but theres good money in what I do, so thats why I do it.

If you want to program you dont have to go to school. School is a racket and they arent going to teach you anything valuable. If you go to uni specifically to study computer sci they are going to teach you a bunch of worthless concepts, and the only languages youll touch will probably be Java or Python, which are not going to be useful in an actual career in programming.
>>
>>1401069

I've tried to git approach, but I can't find anything that interests me/I can actually contribute to. It's either extremely easy, brain dead shit...or it's incredibly complex and I don't know what the fucks going on.

Any tips?
>>
>>1401585
where do you work if you don't mind me asking?

I live in florida and I'm falling for the Silicon Valley meme... Not sure what is going on in my life but this school thing is all I got...
>>
>>1400969
Fun fact, people who "learned programming in uni" all usually dropped out or were absolutely miserable.

Nothing is stopping you from starting now except your own actual disinterest. Download VS 2015 community or loonix with gcc now, or forever be flipping burgers.

>>1401091
Welp, hopefully you're not at a tough school then. I had programming classes from year one.
>>
>>1401738

I work for myself. I do freelance. So I spend about two or three months at a time working with clients to make software for them. Im independent, but I usually end up working with other devs from project to project.
>>
>>1401671
work on the brain dead shit so you can learn how to think like a programer, and then learn the harder stuff. Something like python first.

You actually don't need to learn a language like C at all nowadays, but it will help you understand how computers actually work.

I'd personally say learn some really easy language like python first, and then try out something like java or c#, and then either a functional language like haskell, or a system level language like C. The more languages you learn in depth, the better you'll get at programming in general.
>>
>>1401585
what languages are useful for a career in programming?
>>
>>1402097
Java for enterprise/server/company/android apps/inter-OS operability
Python for little stuff here and there
C++/C# for general usage

For everyone asking where to start it depends. Try to not start with python as scripting is a bit different from programming. Java is a bit easier to become proficient at since a lot of things are just made a bit simpler. C and its variants are a bit more "chaotic" in their implementation but you usually can do more. With Java a lot of the cool neat things are more hidden and not used in the modern world.

Also Java has pointers built in where you can choose whether to use them or not in C. If you're just starting off don't worry too much about pointers as they're somewhat difficult to learn if you don't know a good amount of how memory is stored within RAM.

I started with Java and it's usually my go to language but I'm pretty alright in others.

http://codingbat.com/java

Codingbat is how I learned. It creates puzzles for you to solve via coding. Look through the coding help and then start doing the warm-ups. If you can't get it, don't worry 'bout it, just click to see the solution and learn. The only thing this will not teach you is actual full on coding. In codingbat you're coding a method rather than a full on program but it is a great place to start none-the-less.

Trust me when I say that programming is useful in every single job. Work with excel? Program macros to do your job for you. Work with other shit? write programs to do it for you.

To the Uni question in the thread, Uni is nice, but to fully get the most out of it learn programming before hand. Uni will teach you theoretical stuff, which, as with everything, differs from the practical and applied. Uni over complicates a lot of stuff and throws a lot at you where as if you know programming before hand you will take a lot more out of it and get more perspectives on how to code. Also just try to hack flash games when you get into it.

10+ years coding here
>>
>>1402477
>Try to not start with python as scripting is a bit different from programming.

You sound like a retard.

t. OpenStack dev
>>
>>1402500
Fuck, thought I wasn't on /g/.

Yea, also, when you get into programming you'll meet these scripters which get their panties in a bunch the moment you mention programming is even a little different than scripting. They're actually somewhat annoying as they always feel like they have to prove themselves to the programmers.

(Scripting is, in fact, different from programming. Interpreted vs Compilation, whitespaces and new lines, community, and a couple more. The actual practical differences are little, however, more so in the modern world than in the past. Python has become THE scripting language and has become very advanced in its functionality which is why it's not such a bad thing to start with but when you look at the amount of things that have been made by scripting languages vs programming languages it becomes quite clear why one would recommend something like Java or C++ over Python.)
>>
>>1402500

You're software is shit and irrelevant, but hey thanks for soaking up Rackspace and NASAbux.

Faggot.
>>
>>1400766
What is the name of the company that does programming tutorials like this? Specifically where it goes over every line and show what it's doing?

I learned Java in my University, and it was like pulling teeth to get that chink fuck of a teacher to explain why everything or anything was done the way it was done. I actually had to look over videos to put the puzzle pieces together.
>>
>>1402827

>You are software is shit and irrelevant....
>>
>>1400766
>not using a for loop
Thanks python babbies
>>
>>1402477
Thank you. I know I can just learn these languages on my own and be set but a lot of places that I've looked into ask for at least a BS in CS. I'm still very unsure of where to start. A lot of people have been telling me that Python is a very good language to begin with since it's user friendly and can open the doors to me learning further within other languages. I'm not sure if I should start with Java or Python at this point...
>>
>>1401322
Learnpythonthehardway but he can fuck himself when telling you what editor to use. Use what ever you like, vim, emacs, pycharm, sublimetext, etc.
>>1401671
Like >>1401956 said, do the brain dead shit, it's boring but it will help. As for just general projects, personally I decided I finally wanted to get into web programming since I had websites I wanted to do so I picked up flask (python framework) and just started doing shit with that. If you have an irc channel that you frequent start programming for that make a bot that just says hello and then can take commands. Hell just look into what you do daily and see if you could automate it with your language of choice.
>>
>>1402870
If you're not sure and you want to pick a language that will make college easier simply ask the Uni that you plan on attending what programming language they use. Again, languages now-a-days aren't all that practically different. People will tell you one way or another simply because they did it. I can almost guarantee if you ask those guys that told you to start with python what they started with, they will tell you "python". Same thing with me, I started with java so I would say start with java. I would actually say start with C++ since, while a bit more complicated to get into, it can teach you a lot about how a computer really works. The only reason I don't say start with C++ is that I loved using codingbat to learn java as it created a fun environment to learn coding by giving puzzles.

Another way you can learn from puzzles is googling "high school programming competitions". If you go to previous years of whatever link you clicked (probably a university/college) it will usually give not only the problems that were presented that year but test data and solutions. Some of the problems you won't be able to do; its highly unusual for a team to complete all of the problems by the 4-6 hour deadline that is given.
>>
>>1402552
>Scripting is, in fact, different from programming. Interpreted vs Compilation, whitespaces and new lines, community, and a couple more.

Yup. This guy is a certified retard. Likely got his degree from some Indian Java mill. Listen to him at your own expense.

>>1402827
>he recognizes the name of the software I work on

I'm flattered. What do you work on?
>>
>>1402500
>OpenStack dev
So you work in operations, not development and like >>1402827 said it is shit. I work with it everyday and can admit it is shit. Its going to be even more shit after it gets handed off over to Micro Focus. If the company you work for isn't already looking for an alternative they should be.
>>
>>1403283
>>OpenStack dev
>So you work in operations, not development

No, I'm developer as I said. But thanks for lowering the average IQ of the thread.
>>
File: 1454522598855.gif (866KB, 352x224px) Image search: [Google]
1454522598855.gif
866KB, 352x224px
this thread is shit and lacks gifs
>>
File: Sorting_quicksort_anim.gif (91KB, 280x214px) Image search: [Google]
Sorting_quicksort_anim.gif
91KB, 280x214px
>>
>>1400969
Gmod my nigga. Get yourself the WireMod and ACF / XCF addons and go nuts. That's where I started.
>>
>>1400766
I came
>>
>>1401520
>>1401563
Follow up with Zed Shaw's other book "Learn C the hard way". I decided to pick up the book after programming in C/C++ for years. Its a pretty good read so far.
>>
>>1401226
Sauce?
>>
>>1401322
While you're learning make sure to keep in mind that you'll have to move outside your comfort zone eventual. Alot of online teaching resources are focused on teaching you a language, i.e. java (most egregious example, but the others are guilty too) rather than the concepts. Eventually, when you've got some time in on it, you'll realize that the concepts behind code transcend the languages, and if you're given a problem, you will be able to solve it in any language you or your client chooses.
Basicaly stay away from the thinking of "I'm a java programmer" or "I'm a python programmer". Languages are tools, and you should be comfortable switching tools.
This goes for IDE's (Integrated Development Enviroments) too. I know a girl who is junior level in her CS degree, but has been in the university for 5 or 6 years, and is failing a class because she cannot get Python working with Visual Studio. She refuses to use anything else but Visual Studio. Don't let tools control you, you'll have to work with really nice ones and really shitty ones, so be willing to learn new things and adapt.

If there is work that is STRICTLY set to one language, it's either a recruiter that doesn't know what their doing or the job is Pajeet tier.

tl;dr: Don't get yourself locked into one way of thinking, this field advances quickly, and you need to be comfortable learning new things.

Don't be intimidated either, none of this is really that hard. I'm lazy as fuck, which is why I make a computer work for me.
>>
>>1401585
>python/java will not be usefull in programming
>I've never used python or java in MY career, must be worthless

This might be the single most ridiculous post I've ever seen.

I don't like java, I prefer to code in C personally, but different languages are used for different situations. Python and Java are both huge in the industry
>>
>>1400969
Got through high school and accepted into an engineering college. Had to choose my major. Realized I knew nothing of programming despite it being ridiculously important to everything in our society. Also they had the best stats post graduation (average pay, job acceptance, etc.)
>>
>>1401322
Ignore that dumbass. Take it from someone who finished their degree and has a stable job. Just focus on getting good grades. Actually doing your shit for your classes is more important, along with internships and coops.
>>
>>1403995
Shit anon I like just learned quicksort good gif.
>>
stay in skewl
>>
>>1401077
>Hey let's run JavaScript on the server because it's such a great fucking language
>>
>>1407583
As shit as JavaScript is, it's become a lot better than PHP over the years.
>>
>>1400969
Always loved games and wanted to make my own, got so in love with coding after I really understood it that I failed a year in school because I used to skip classes and write code on my school notebook for when I got home, good times.
Now I'm in uni (CS) and loving it for the most part, though it can be challenging at times. As others have mentioned, the best advice I can give you is start learning RIGHT NOW. Most of my friends who didn't know how to program since before uni have quit.
Find something you like (web, mobile, games) and get to it. The languages all end up being somewhat similar, but Python is a great way to start.
>>
>>1403995
What if I want to sort anything else than dots?

>>1407646
Not an achievement
>>
>>1400969
if you have GTA5 for PC you can learn how to code in C++ or .NET if you download the Scripthook V SDK and make a mission-script mod
>>
>>1406550

Ive used Python. Not professionally, but, for about a year Id say before I got into it professionally.

I completely agree that different languages are used in different situations. You get into languages because of what they do and what other people use them for. So what language you should use depends on what you want to do.

Yes, Python and Java are both huge 'in the industry'. As I understand it, Java and Python account for a huge share of the code that is actually running on servers out in the world today. Im still recommending to noobs not to get into Python or Java. And why not, if so much of todays code is written in Python or Java? Because getting a job maintaining Java written in 1995 isnt a career. You arent engineering anything if you are maintaining very old code written by someone else. If you, or your client, wanted to start from scratch, they most certainly wouldnt use Java, and Python is becoming a bad option. On the projects Ive worked on, which have all been new projects and new business ventures, the back-end is usually written in either Go or Node JS, and sometimes Python. Never Java. No one today wants to use Java. Everyone who uses Java today does so because they are stuck with it.

But you know, to each their own. Ive known people who have fairly cushy jobs, because some city government has some 20 year old server with archiac code on it, and they are the only ones who know anything about it. They make money because if they got fired their employer would be royally fucked since they would have no idea how to manage their web infrastructure. I dont consider that engineering really. I dont think you qualify as a programmer or a developer if that how you make your living. But thats fine if thats what you want.

>>1402097
See above. It really depends on what you want to do.
>>
>>1401039
>>1401057
Don't listen to him, programing is not hard at all. You just need to get into it.
>>
>>1407747
>You just need to get into it.
Trust me, that's a bad idea
>>
>>1407749
Why ? Worked fine with me.
>>
>>1407747

Kek, 'programming isnt hard'.

Dog, like, only the top 10% of Americans are intellectually capable of programming.

I guess that doesnt necessarily mean that programmers find it hard, but it definitely means most people would find it very hard.
>>
>>1407752
You just need to get the logic, the rest is just technical knowledge.
>>
>>1407759

> logic
> technical knowledge
> learning

Ah yes, capacities all humans demonstrate.
>>
>>1407766
You made a point but most of programmers are stupids code monkeys. So, I guess most of people can learn such stuff.
>>
>>1407774

Calling people stupid monkeys is pretty disrespectful. That said I think you have a really bad sense of what people are capable of. The spectrum of human intellectual capacity is pretty wide, and people are pretty different from each other. Id estimate that the 'stupid code monkeys' you are talking about are still representing the top third of people in terms of technical capacity.

Maybe you are smarter than they are, its plausible. But, what good is it to be dissing sorta smart people? What good is it to lead not-smart people down a career path they cant possibly perform?

Sorry for being preachy. Its very important to our society that the very smart act in a socially responsible manner. Telling everyone they can program is disastrous. Calling sorta smart people 'monkeys' is really elitist and oblivious, and causes its own form of social ills.
>>
>>1407780
I'm not trying to say that I'm smarter or something, I'm just saying that programming itself is not that complicated. I think you just need to put time and effort. I know some people will need a lot more time than other. Writing good algorithm for instance is way harder and require someone way smarter.
And when I use terms like "code monkey" I'm just using some /g/ memes nothing more.
>>
File: 1420189980163.webm (214KB, 900x456px) Image search: [Google]
1420189980163.webm
214KB, 900x456px
>>1403995
>>
File: 1414091420345.gif (359KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1414091420345.gif
359KB, 240x200px
>>1401077
> his descendant Steve Jobs
>>
File: 1471080861616.webm (578KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471080861616.webm
578KB, 1280x720px
>>1407792
>>1403995
Did someone say sorting algorithms?
>>
File: 1451660883801.webm (830KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451660883801.webm
830KB, 1280x720px
>>1407836
>>
File: 1472755785739.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472755785739.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>1407838
>>
File: Logisim Snake.webm (650KB, 948x519px) Image search: [Google]
Logisim Snake.webm
650KB, 948x519px
Does this count?
>>
>>1400766
That's some poopy python. Why not:

numbers = [12, 37, 5, 42, 8, 3]
even = []
odd = []
for number in numbers:
if number % 2:
odd.append(number)
else:
even.append(number)
>>
>>1407766

To be fair, 90% of the technical knowledge and learning equates to "google it"
>>
>>1401917

You could be the exception! There's always that hope. I studied computer science due to indecision about a major and am doing great. Or you could be making a $10k+ mistake.
>>
>>1402477

Learning Java along with C++ is enough to get anyone a job. After those two, transferring to C# is easy enough, outside of all of Microsoft's proprietary frameworks. Anyone can learn Python. Literal 6 year olds learn Python.
>>
File: Fizzbuzz.webm (207KB, 646x492px) Image search: [Google]
Fizzbuzz.webm
207KB, 646x492px
Fizzbuzz in templeos
>>
>>1407727

Sorting anything can be reduced to a simple reference value. Whether it's height value, frequency, start letter, etc. Any key value reduces sorting to the same problem.
>>
>>1400766
Nice animation error at the end
>12
>incorrectly highlights odd.append
>>
>>1407646
Or you could be like me, and just run the entire webpage with html echoed from a bash cgi script.
>>
>>1407968

numbers = [12, 37, 5, 42, 8, 3]
even = filter(lambda x: x%2==0, numbers)
odd = filter(lambda x: x%2==1, numbers)
>>
>>1407845
post more, those were cool to watch
>>
File: 2QE5Bkw.gif (1MB, 1825x1065px) Image search: [Google]
2QE5Bkw.gif
1MB, 1825x1065px
>>
>>1408300
what kind of lazy bullshit is that?
>>
>>1408216
HolyC?
>>
>>1401075
>Look at me hating python

Pretty sure you don't program

For everyone else, learn python, it's easy and I learn it way later. It is the most useful language I know, not because it's good,but because it just works for anything you want to do. Will not lie I automated one of my old jobs that way.

Also experience > degree, get some code on git-hub
>>
>>1403255
I will confirm this >>1402552 guy is retard confirmed
>>
>>1407646
>Client vs server scripting
Don't even start with your Ajax bullshit up in here.
>>
>>1408337
Not him, but I personally cannot stand Python because lol no curly braces.
It triggers my autism.
>>
>>1401075
python is more powerful than you could possibly imagine
>>
File: Phone.webm (45KB, 604x176px) Image search: [Google]
Phone.webm
45KB, 604x176px
>>
File: Phone2.webm (207KB, 694x394px) Image search: [Google]
Phone2.webm
207KB, 694x394px
>>1408723
>>
File: Phone3.webm (41KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Phone3.webm
41KB, 320x240px
>>1408728
>>
File: Phone4.webm (119KB, 482x160px) Image search: [Google]
Phone4.webm
119KB, 482x160px
>>1408731
>>
File: Phone5.webm (103KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
Phone5.webm
103KB, 600x320px
>>1408732
>>
File: Phone6.webm (600KB, 614x482px) Image search: [Google]
Phone6.webm
600KB, 614x482px
>>1408737
>>
File: Phone7.webm (190KB, 913x287px) Image search: [Google]
Phone7.webm
190KB, 913x287px
>>1408738
>>
>>1400766
lol why the fuck python?
>>
File: 7879.webm (1MB, 640x356px) Image search: [Google]
7879.webm
1MB, 640x356px
>>
>>1408732
pi is infinitely long, but it is still not guaranteed to have every combination of numbers, right? Either way, these phone number gifs are cracking me up
>>
>>1408337
>experience > degree
t. person without degree
>>
>>1408774
>you're own
kek
>>
>>1408737
>>1408732
>>1408731
>>1408728
>>1408723
>>1408738
>>1408739
Nice work, very amusing to see the more inconvenient ways to not only use, but also design a feature.
>>
>>1408971
Yep

He's still right about learning Python though. Assuming you know Java well (which any programmer worth his weight in salt should) it's easy as fuck to pick up and employers will look for that on your resume
>>
>>1400969
CS in Uni isn't really all crap, but it is possible to do without it, it just takes a lot of time. Uni will teach you the concepts of computer science, which are sometimes useful and mostly forgotten. The best thing it does though is it rewires your brain to think more like how a computer would and make programming easier, but that's about it. All the languages out there you will most likely have to learn yourself or get someone to help you. I noticed with my experience in Uni my perspective on coding languages changed from just "which is better than the other" to different tools for the job, kind of like a tool kit. Also the concepts taught does apply to all other languages. The best thing you can do is try and learn the basis of all languages,such as concepts of programming languages, assembly, etc. This will give you a grounded understanding of how programming languages work and the different kinds, that way when you are faced with having to learn a new language it becomes a lot easier to understand. Another important thing is try to get a job in the industry when you have enough experience. It will teach you the work flow for computer science and engineering and give you valuable experience for later jobs. Go for small companies and work your way up.

If you need languages to learn start out this way

Python -> Java/C# -> C/C++ -> Assembly -> SQL -> JavaScript/HTML

Better to understand programming languages first before going in depth, Python is a easy language to learn and Java will teach you he core components of programming. C/C++ will teach you more in depth challenges to programming and Assembly will be your final go, which will teach you the basis of programming. SQL is separate and teach you how to do databasing, which is just as important as any other tools for programmers, and JavaScript/HTML fall in the same vein as SQL, websites are an important tool.

This comes from a Uni student finishing his 5th year with some job experience.
>>
>>1409276
As an example of treating languages like tools than superiors in my job we use C#/.NET for our application, XML to store data locally, SQL to store data in database, JSON for some codes in our machines, and XSLT to transform XML to machine readable data.
>>
>>1408300
Is that sublime plugin?
>>
>>1400969
>I'm going to school to eventually learn this in Uni and become a programmer.
>This seems so foreign to me. When and how did you decide to get into programming?

You don't learn to program in school, you learn it by doing it.
Schools teach outdated methods of doing shit so you mostly don't listen there.

Programmers that learned programming in school are the scum that our industry doesn't need.
>>
>>1408317
Si
>>
File: highlighting-editing.webm (154KB, 504x386px) Image search: [Google]
highlighting-editing.webm
154KB, 504x386px
>>1408315
>>1409431
visual studio extension
http://comealive.io/
>>
>>1407922
that's fuckin awesome
>>
>>1408283
Oh shit, I forgot about filter. That's significantly faster.

In [13]: numbers = [randint(1, 1000) for _ in range(200000)]

In [14]: %%timeit
.......: even = []
.......: odd = []
.......: for number in numbers:
.......: if number % 2:
.......: odd.append(number)
.......: else:
.......: even.append(number)
.......:
10 loops, best of 3: 43.8 ms per loop

In [15]: %%timeit
.......: even = [x for x in numbers if not x % 2]
.......: odd = [x for x in numbers if x % 2]
.......:
10 loops, best of 3: 48.8 ms per loop

In [16]: %%timeit
.......: even = filter(lambda x: not x%2, numbers)
.......: odd = filter(lambda x: x%2, numbers)
.......:
1000000 loops, best of 3: 596 ns per loop
>>
>>1408216
Looks like HolyC prints strings by default?
>>
>>1408216
i still fail to understand how some people can't into fizzbuzz
>>
>>1408956
pi is infinite because it's an irrational number. So yes, there is a phone number in there.
>>
>>1400969
It was 2004 or so, I was like 14. I found this old-looking program on my computer and asked my dad if he knew anything about it. He wrote down some stuff for me to type in, and then hit Run, and then more and more stuff, explaining what each line did after I ran the examples. The program was an old BASIC interpreter, similar to what he'd used 15-20 years prior. I would still recommend it to someone starting out, it's verbose without veering into the ridiculous and the keywords and core functions are mostly pretty obvious in what they do. It's not a bad idea to learn the concepts with a simple, accessible language, and then carry that over into something more complicated and powerful and modern.
>>
>>1408956
pi is astoundingly random, it outdoes most non-professional RNG
>>
>>1408956
>>1418153

No, pi is not guaranteed to contain every combination of numbers just because it is irrational. Consider this number:

And so on forever. This number is irrational, but obviously does not contain any phone numbers.

>>1418185
pi isn't random at all, there is literally a formula for calculating the n-th digit
>>
>>1400766
Programmer here that actually went to uni (and did well).

If you want to skip it, you're limiting yourself to just a few options

If you want to make the big bucks/be a 10x developer, load up on mathematical & theoretical concepts rather than individual languages. You'll build a skillset transferable to any language

Currently working at a major bank as a quant
Programming algo that will make a shit ton of money
>>
File: 1480289912392.gif (11KB, 512x256px) Image search: [Google]
1480289912392.gif
11KB, 512x256px
>>1400969
i went to uni and learnt programming. it sucks while you learn but once you understand some theory and best practices (through your own trial and error) it becomes easier. I wasnt very good until i got my first job though. Applying what i had learnt to a real world system with senior devs and a whole company to learn from really made me understand the application of code for problem solving.
Theres a huge community on stackoverflow to help with questions but the best thing is to choose a language and program some project. start with small stuff (calculators, command line programs). then take some exisiting project (github) and try to customize it to do something new
also learn how to use linux its the best environment for programming by far
>>
>>1401069
I Agree
>>
>>1407738
> Never Java. No one today wants to use Java. Everyone who uses Java today does so because they are stuck with it.

This is total bullshit. Java is king. New languages are obviously coming up, and a javascript fullstack is highly attractive, but java is on servers and embedded devices everywhere. The ecosystem is so strong, there is almost nothing you cannot do platform-independently.

http://stackoverflow.blog/2016/11/How-Do-Developers-in-New-York-San-Francisco-London-and-Bangalore-Differ/
>>
>>1401057
>hard work
kek'd
>>
>>1407836
>>1407838
>>1407845
no bogo sort?
>>
File: 1440807765952.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1440807765952.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>
>>1417846
>significantly faster
http://www.shouldioptimize.com/
>>
>>1408406
Holy fucking shit this. I can't fucking stand code blocks that are delineated by nothing but whitespace.
>>
>>1408723
based cleveland
>>
>>1401544
Great another "programmer" who can't even grasp simple English grammar.
>>
>>1424522
Thank you. From that initial post I've already started my first week of a Python course on coursera.
>>
File: 1456928309308.webm (4MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456928309308.webm
4MB, 1280x720px
>>1426707
>>
>>1407845
>>1407836
>>1407838
Is there any paper on this? Or what would be some good literature?
>>
>>1427397
>this is what kids call music these days
>>
>>1427421
Nvm, followed the link
>>
>>1426894
I'm not getting paid to think about one-millionths of a second, lol. I do this because it's fun and interesting. But I see your point.
>>
>>1427397
>indie_16_bit_vidya_soundtrack.webm
>>
>>1401077
Kill it with fire
>>
>>1421068
But that sequence contains every base 1 number :^)
>>
>>1428734
kek
>>1427397
>>
File: 1472026751432.webm (1MB, 854x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472026751432.webm
1MB, 854x640px
>>1400766
>>
File: 1477225693067.webm (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1477225693067.webm
4MB, 480x270px
>>1431459
>>
File: 1476199718641.webm (729KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1476199718641.webm
729KB, 640x360px
>>1431461
>>
I had to learn a bit of programming in C++ in a fast course a year ago; extremely basic shit. It was my first time with something related to this but I loved every moment of it.

Since then I've been thinking that I want to properly learn programming, but the fact that most people seem to start really young discourages me.
Maybe is stupid to ask this, but is it too late if I'm 23?
I don't want to feel like I'll always be behind everyone.
>>
>>1431482
>but the fact that most people seem to start really young discourages me

Very few of them go beyond programming 101. You can surpass them in less than a year.

>but is it too late if I'm 23

Absolutely not.
>>
>>1408732
Ok, I laughed.
>>
>>1401077
There must exist a GNU+Linux version of this. I refuse to believe otherwise.
>>
File: RMSDance.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
RMSDance.webm
2MB, 480x360px
>>1431555
Actually GANOOO SLASH LINAAAKS one is the original version. Here it goes:

>I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
>is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
>Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
>of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
>utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

>Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
>without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
>which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
>not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

>There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
>part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
>that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
>The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
>it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
>normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
>is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
>distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>1431568
Also here is "response" from Linus:

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>1431578
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
>>
File: Mittelman.webm (249KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Mittelman.webm
249KB, 720x404px
>>1431579
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

>That's it.
>>
>>1408300
Too bad it got no real life use.
>>
>>1431482
You're fucked

>>1431513
You're full of shit
>>
>>1408300
What is this?
It's for a school proyect
Not me being lazy at all...
>>
>>1427397
I actually used it on my interview.
Still no job
>>
>>1431773
0/10
>>
>>1431968
Okay, fine, he could surpass a 12yo in a year. Big whoop
>>
>>1407792
As a High School programming instuctor, this made me happy
>>
>>1408410
unexpected lol
>>
>>1407792
my teacher told our class that quick sort isn't used very often because it's hard to implement
>>
>>1417847
Yes, strings have a printf style when naked.
>>
>>1421068
it would contain the number in binary format.
>>
>>1434534
No... 1010101 is not in that sequence
>>
>>1434461
Your teacher is full of shit.

No one writes their own sorting algorithm. All modern languages have it as part of their standard library. And it is usually a variant of quicksort
>>
>>1407838
Wooooooooooooooooooooop....
>>
>>1400938
yea
>>
>>1426958
I'm a programmer and well... there are a lot of programmers who can't grasp grammar at all. Heck, one of my coworkers is dyslexic.
It's funny as hell to read his code when something doesn't work and he can't figure out why.
>>
>>1409180
>python
>like JAVA
Now if you had said that C# was like JAVA, I'd agree. Of course, if you know basic logic, learning any language is as easy as copy and pasting from stack overflow like the real pros.
>>
>1409276
>SQL
>programming language
You're wrong.
t. Database Admin
>>
>>1400969
I'm an engineer (specifically in materials science) and I had to learn it. To give you some perspective, programming is very domain related. Nothing is achieved out of learning programming without an objective in mind. A lot of what I do is related to tensors (kind of like superposed vectors - we use these to find materials properties such as refractive index along different crystal directions), so we use a large amount of linear algebra, normally in F90 and Python. But you may be doing anything from changing a marquee in Ruby to modulating a signal for a new audio card with FFTW in C, and these are two entirely different animals with their own merits.

If you are getting into programming you need to have experience in both the language AND the domain you're getting into. That's why a lot of people minor in CS - CS itself prepares you down a path of rigorous algorithm design, networking, excessively abstract concepts on how software interacts with hardware, etc. I would say the basics are easy to learn online, certain libraries may require you to ask others. Then hone your skills - if you are going to do algorithm implementation try resources like hackerrank and topcoder, if you want to do game design try reading APIs for engines. You can go help out on some projects on SVN or git.
>>
>>1431463
source?
>>
>>1435511
Yeah, if you write Python like you write Java, people are going to laugh at you.
>>
File: gachisort.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
gachisort.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Got a better sorting webm.
Requesting fuller version, if anyone got it.
>>
>>1437136
>wew
>>
>>1437136
loved this one
>>
>>1437136
I thought this was this music video for a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617ANIA5Rqs
>>
>>1408723
And after getting to your number after 3½ months of clicking the plus sign the database is offline for maintenance.
>>
>>1407792

this would be better if there were more values to sort
>>
>>1431463
nullpo
>>
>>1400969
Not sure yet what everyone else has written, but I'm sure there's plenty of people saying you don't have to go to Uni to be a programmer. They are right. But there's also a lot of theory/concepts you can obtain from university that aren't as obvious or accessible. I find myself looking at code and finding many basic rules/best practices being totally ignored by programmers who weren't taught well. If you go to school for comp sci, please try your hardest to go to a school with a good program. Big companies(Google/Microsoft) come to my school allllll the time to do recruiting. Having a degree is a major plus these days, but having a portfolio (even a small one) of projects you've worked on is really eye catching.

I started with "thenewboston" 's Java tutorials on youtube. Super funny guy and beginner friendly. Code academy is great too. Sometimes they have funny elements too.

Summary: Good idea to go to uni for comp sci if the program is good. Start learning coding concepts now. Use YouTube or code academy
>>
>>1401102
My professor is a leading researcher in virtualization and he was a BA at a no name school
>>
>>1426958

>Assuming everyone's first language is English.
>>
>>1435626
His name is Bret Hart, this was part of a promotion for a wrestlemania game
>>
>>1406548

Engineer here, not in any computer related area though.

I've been meaning to learn some programming on my own. I have a question: throughout this thread the concept of "base notions that are common to all languages", what exactly does this mean?

I have a pretty solid Matlab scripting background from Uni, are those notions also present in Matlab?
>>
>>1442099
EE here. Matlab is a scripting language, so not "programming" in a strict sense. Some other scripting languages: HTML, Python. Using HTML obviously don't make you a true-blooded Programmer, but I would say Python does (read: my opinion). Matlab is probably somewhere inbetween (but not true-blooded)

When people say there's "base notions" they're mostly talking about stuff like "flow" (aka executed from to bottom) and certain "reserved" words/concepts (for, while, if/else; loops, conditionals). Also pointers/memory management. I think a good way to think about it is programming languages are like Romance languages.

So Matlab does have some these concepts/notions built in, but you really only scratch the surface. Matlab also holds your hand a lot (so unless you know what you're looking for, you won't see much). So with this Romance language analogy, a scripting language like Matlab would be fringe mutually intelligible

I was just talking with a MechE about this yesterday, actually. He was wondering the same exact thing. If it's you, I still think Python would do you the most good, and Java is a garbage language to be avoided at all costs.
>>
I'm just gonna leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEXtiwXHTfk

Yes, it's real - I downloaded a few of these years back, and this isn't even the most spectacular one I've seen - absolute autism power.
>>
>>1401102
Doesn't matter. What they DONT want is some kid with a high school diploma who claims to know things he doesnt know. Also, you don't need to just know comp sci. You need to know a fair amount of mathematics as well. Not everything is just for loops and if statements. The use of them and structures matter too. Clearly someone doesnt understand programming.
>>
>>1437136
>WRYYY
>>
>>1408300
That is great for all those iterations over fixed ranges where nothing with side effects can happen in the loop body!

Oh wait
>>
>>1442392
It's alot of work, but I'd say it can be done in a week

You can use an low-level language like verilog to describe the operations you need (multiplication, addition, not that hard with some knowledge of the area), then model this graphing calculator with those operations, and then make a program which converts verilog code to a minecraft world (this would be the hardest part, assuming calculations like this are still done with redstone in minecraft, because you have to make sure the redstone lines never collide where they shouldn't, but it's still not that hard)
>>
File: oilivia wilde stephen colbert.webm (3MB, 874x492px) Image search: [Google]
oilivia wilde stephen colbert.webm
3MB, 874x492px
>>
>>1408202
this
>>
>>1408774
babbys first program
>>
>>1442168
>Java is a garbage language to be avoided at all costs
Unless you want to work in industry on any sort of enterprise software.
>>
>>1401226
I love that kind of shit, but I never go windowed, always full screen.
>>
>>1401917
Or those people are currently employed at my company... You know, companies that hire people with CS degrees and pay them a regular salary, instead of irregular freelance work.
>>
>>1401917
>Fun fact, people who "learned programming in uni" all usually dropped out or were absolutely miserable.
The only place I see people say this is online.
>>
>>1426958

All of my professors had terrible grammar. I don't know why, but programming attracts hordes of illiterate fuckers. I'm fairly sure it's because of the prevalence of auto-correct, but whenever they wrote shit on the board it was embarrassing because they couldn't spell for shit.

Besides this, there's tons of panjeet/asian programmers who aren't native English speakers.
>>
>>1407780
this dude is probably the nicest dude in the entire thread and he gets all my respect.
>>
ITT people who can't even differ between an interpreted languange and a compiled language, and STILL claim to know shit
>>
>>1400766

I want to improve my programming abilities but whenever I browse anything on github the issues go way over my head and I have no idea where to start.

Beyond that, everything seems so ambiguous/cryptic.

Where should I start? How do I start contributing to github? Where do I find some suitable projects?
>>
>>1409276
I would have suggested C/C++ before Java/C# but I agree with the rest
>>
>>1452842
no, then you've got to get your head around manual memory management, pointers, unsafe code etc along with OO concepts all in one go.
The other way introduces OO in a slightly more friendly environment before dumping all the harder stuff on top of you.
>>
>>1452417
It's gotta be something you use. If you're on Linux, probably everything you use is open-source.

Go to the repo. Look at the bugs. Find your own bugs. Think of your own improvements.

Then spend countless hours reading the code and talking in IRC.
>>
>>1401077
How perculiar.
>>
>>1452247
Well in the course I did 3 years ago we started with 30 students and finished with 9
>>
>>1431582
I can't stop laughing at this webm
>>
>>1401077
>Javascript
No fucking thank you
>>
>>1401077
I'll be honest, I thought she said "dead language" instead of "dev language".
>>
>>1407968
>poopy python

That's all of python.

Python is garbo.
>>
>>1408300
jesus christ your formatting

learn how to fucking type m8
>>
>>1443747
You have to mod the minecraft world to load more chunks than it would by default though, otherwise the whole thing wouldn't ever be loaded at once
>>
>>1457405
Python is goat (loat?) for scripting.

If you want performance or scalability, I agree though.
>>
not *quite* programming but how do you like this CSS

i found it on pastebin and adjusted it quite a bit to make things more consistent one theme and it looks pretty nice imo
>>
>>1458036
it looks alot better when it's not so compressed
>>
>>1452247
i can see it this too though

you have to be an autodidact to become good at programming

when i did programming in highschool, only those with prior experience stayed on the course, everyone else dropped out before the first year was finished
>>
>>1458036

Looks too desaturated
>>
>>1401077
i know the programmer who coded node.js originally
>>
>>1460321
No you don't.
>>
>>1458036
>>1458040
>he doesn't know how to webm
Retard.
>>
>>1458036
I like the flatness but not the bland colors
>>
For those who have no idea about where to start, look for CS50 course. It is one of the best MOOC out there.
>>
This thread has been very insightful
>>
>>1409276
>java
>before pure C
Actually, even not
>starting with C
Why am I insisting on starting with C? It lacks proper object orientation(i mean there are still structures and making functions for those structures can mimic OOP) thus keeping you focused only on functions without thinking with classes. And it doesn't have a standart library for every single fucking task possible as python does, so it makes you solve problems. Then it should be c++, since it is pretty much the same C but with classes, templates and all the OOP stuff attached to it, and then whatever else. Saying this as someone who started with python.
>>
>>1401226
Oh god its bonzi buddies deformed japanese cousin
>>
>>1431461
Kung Fury is fucking legendary
>>
>>1466963
Its awful, fake nostalgia for >le wrong generation 18 year olds
>>
>>1442839
That's what fizz buzz is for you fucking retard. Of course they're gonna test you, and he should get certified through adobe or Cisco anyways
>>
File: U7vSIvLLZi0-22.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
U7vSIvLLZi0-22.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>1458036
Please guide me through getting my 4chink to look like that. Have literally 0 CSS experience.
>>
>>1467577
the song?
>>
>>1400969
At highschool I decided to take electronics instead of chemistery. It turned out that the electronics class was 80% programming micro-controllers in PICAXE Basic so I learned to program and became very good at it (by reading the manual). When I tried to learn more advanced languages like java I found that I had to clue what I was doing so I decided to go to uni for a higher education.

I have just finished my 4 year degree in computer engineering (maths, transistors, computer hardware and high+low level programming) with 1st class honours. The programming-orientated courses were my best papers in that I enjoyed them the most and got good grades. The only Issue is that once basic concepts like functions and classes were explained I found the lectures useless since I was doing heaps of stuff in my own time. Courses on algorithms and data structures were still interesting though. Networking courses were very dull but that could just be down to the lecturer desu.

It pays well too. The average programmer graduate will earn a $50k salary in my country while the average salary is $37k. I wasn't thinking of the money when I entered the degree though.
>>
>>1467577
can i make a pong the same way?
>>
>>1431461
>>those visuals

They got the 80s down perfectly
>>
>>1467079
As a kid in 90s, this is what I imagined 80s looked like.
>>
>>1467577
Protip: add a sleep statment(for like a milisec or less) in your main program loop. This will stop the program loop consuming 20% of your cpu. No joke.
>>
>>1407583
KEK
>>
>>1431463
is that john cena /
>>
>>1460321
did he die of cancer?
Because working with node.js is how You get cancer.
>>
>>1472722
>Using sleep()...
>PROtip....

Ok sifu...
>>
>>1472722
>Protip: add a sleep statment(for like a milisec or less) in your main program loop.
They already did:
app.setFramerateLimit(20); will cause app.display(); to block whenever it's called less than 50ms after its previous call.
>>
>>1441645
Gah!
>>
>>1401077
i have no clue what she's talking about but i want to fuck her
>>
>>1408266
>pulling in a full shell just for that
>>
>>1457405
Honestly, both of those python scripts are nearly indistinguishable from C/C++.
>>
>>1431568
>>1431578
I have no fucking clue what these people are talking about. I feel like a wretched passenger on a JavaScript dingy floating atop the fathomless depths of technology history, clinging to my tattered ubuntu plushy. There is so much I don't know. So much nobody seems to know. The worst part is that I'm more knowledgeable than the average pleb with their soulless glass screens. I look up as they let their infested vessels electrocute their balls through their urethras, openly refusing to even glimpse down at the sea they float upon, laughing to each other, even as they wince from their constant inconveniences. I look up, and I understand. To truly understand shoulders of giants on which we rest is a horrible thing.

Tell me, neohistorians, why would anyone bother with all these different operating systems? I can understand choosing debian over ubuntu for a server, but why are there 104 different iterations of linux at any one time? Why not just slap some ubuntu on it and be done with the thing?
>>
>>1467577
Can I see what's in those header files?
><SFML/Graphics.hpp>
><time.h>
>>
>>1467623
>Install Stylish extension/addon
>Go to userstyles.org
>???
>Profit
>>
>>1483232
There are some substantive differences between distro families (i.e. RHEL vs Debian), but the huge proliferation of trivially-different distros comes basically comes down to autism. Somebody hates some feature of X distro so much that they fork their own distro that's essentially identical save for that one feature.
>>
>>1481012
The first one yes, but that's a valid complaint. Python shouldn't be abused to make it look like C/C++. It's not idiomatic Python to iterate over a list using a while loop or enclose simple conditionals in parentheses.
>>
>>1484766
thanks senpai
>>
>>1484762
why wouldn't you be able to?
>>
>>1401520
>>1401563
Bit late for this answer, but don't even bother with anything by Zed Shaw. He's an overconfident and condescending retard who is physically incapable of imagining the idea that he may be wrong in any way. He encourages bad practices, and has a poor way of teaching which focuses more on repetition than understanding what you're doing.

You're best off using the resources in the sidebar to /r/Python (inb4 >reddit), like http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/ or http://www.diveintopython3.net/ .
>>
>>1448063
my heart melted
>>
>>1401585
>bunch of worthless concepts
And this is why we have a bunch of retards who don't understand low level logic, can't design a new language with it's own compiler, etc.
>>
>>1400766
>pop
Python treats arrays like stacks?
Wtf?
>>
>>1427397
so how does bogo sorting work?
>>
>>1443716
kek
>>
>>1493581

Randomly shuffle your array until it's sorted.
>>
>>1493189
>implying you'll get a job where you need to design your own language....

I can tell you're still in school junior... that or born in the early 60's, pop... Nowadays 90% of jobs are web and mobile oriented and the other 10% are so obscure they are far removed from what the average programmer will ever do in his life...
>>
>>1407922
I have so many shitty memories from using this program.
when it works it's really awesome, but it's just way too unstable
>>
File: 1431388293378.webm (2MB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
1431388293378.webm
2MB, 1008x720px
More webums, less shitposting
>>
File: vim.webm (649KB, 472x560px) Image search: [Google]
vim.webm
649KB, 472x560px
>>
>>1495256
source: http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope/life.lisp
>>
File: sgfnn.webm (4MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
sgfnn.webm
4MB, 426x240px
More game of life

https://github.com/baku89/Subete-ga-F-ni-naru-ED
>>
>>1400766
>programing
Someone needs English
>>
ITT: A bunch of dropouts hate on school and are content with being mediocre
>>
>>1493581
it doesen't
>>
>>1401077
topkek I died
>>
>>1401077
hahaha wow. when did /g/ do this?
>>
>>1495340
>content with being mediocre
Is that so bad if you are incapable of being anything else?
>>
File: 1456565402788.gif (2MB, 293x199px) Image search: [Google]
1456565402788.gif
2MB, 293x199px
>>1495890
>Is that so bad if you are incapable of being anything else
That's only as true as you believe it is!
>>
>>1467577
more like this pls
>>
>>1401077
>java
>2017

nope.
>>
File: 1483916193167.webm (3MB, 1612x892px) Image search: [Google]
1483916193167.webm
3MB, 1612x892px
>>
>>1495264
<span class="flame">So, how many days did you spend cooking this spell, then casting it, then editing the video? And how much time did it save for your job?</span>
>>
>>1408723
>>1408728
>>1408731
>>1408732
>>1408737
>>1408738
>>1408739
i guess these are good examples of gamification
>>
>>1409906
>>1408300
this makes no sense. why would i use the mouse, when i just can type instead..
>>
>>1431582
poker is not about luck
>>
>>1495264
fizz buzz seems like something that would be so fucking easy to implement in elisp though
>>
>>1495334
>all those graphics ripped straight from CDE
yesss
>>
>>1499953
That's pretty nice anon.
>>
>>1476938
not original anon.

Node.js was his masters/doctorate thesis. It was about creating a asynchronous server-side environment.

He chose Javascript because it doesn't have an IO specification (or something).

He only did it to finish his degree, and was baffled that people actually wanted to use it.
>>
File: stupidAI.webm (2MB, 255x200px) Image search: [Google]
stupidAI.webm
2MB, 255x200px
>>
>>1401077
I love node.js <3
>>
>>1401226
wow that degree was definitely worth it
>>
File: 1484707311198.webm (3MB, 1276x1048px) Image search: [Google]
1484707311198.webm
3MB, 1276x1048px
>>1505152
update

https://expirebox.com/download/ccaa33bb1fc6e88c78ce874afeac282b.html

pass=this site name
>>
>>1505186
Why no english version?
And why is the position absolute instead of relative to window width?
>>
>>1418147
Not everyone know programming, at least in my country
>>
>>1499027
javascript isn't java you dense fuck
>>
File: 1452815937415.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1452815937415.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>1408723
lost.
>>
>>1400766
holy shit the november programming thread is still up
>>
>>1457455
his formatting is beautiful. lining up your braces is patrician.
>>
>>1421068
But consider a given number with finite digits. Would that be contained in pi? And pi isn't random, but you're completely missing the point. The next number in the sequence is random in that we have no way of knowing what it is based on the previous digit(s). If we could figure that out, we'd know pi without having to calculate it all the way to the point we want. I'm not sure if pi contains all sequences of finite numbers, though. It may.
>>
>>1431459
Where can I get a keyboard like that
>>
>>1467577
>srand(time(0));
>>
>>1400784
% stands for Modulus, which is the leftover of dividing by 2 in this case.

So, if you do 3/2 you have a modulus of 1, which doesnt equal 0 so you can tell that its an odd number.
>>
Tabs or spaces? That is the question
>>
>>1524293
Tabs all day, mang
>>
>>1524293
Christ, don't tell me people hit the space bar instead of tabbing.
>>
>>1408737
Google captchas are getting worse everyday.
>>
>>1524312
They exist and they shouldn't. I suggest we organize some sort of camp we can send them to.
>>
>>1402857
Not using a lambda filter...
>>
>>1495415
dude bogo is the fastest sort if the array has 1 variable
>>
File: 2017-02-03_05-54-22 - Copy.webm (614KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-03_05-54-22 - Copy.webm
614KB, 1280x720px
excuse the shitty webm, I made this kinda fast.

Here is a small engine I kinda did stuff with. Its created with c++ and opengl.
>>
>>1400766
Don't fall for anyone saying this is a waste to study in a university. It's not a "meme." Right out of college my brother started with an annual income of 103K after taxes with a Computer Science major and a Math minor and I'm sitting here making less than half of that with a my accounting job. I studied in community though, so I didn't have any debt, but still it would be nice to be swimming in that dough.
>>
>>1525465
that's some nice work
>>
>>1528628
Thanks! I think its important for game programmers to build their own engine once, to learn a lot of advanced concepts.
>>
>>1437136
>what its like to chew five gum
>>
>Unless you want to work on webshit
>>
>>1525465
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
>>
>>1427421

http://isl.ce.sharif.edu/courses-2/data-structures-and-algorithms/
>>
>>1418147

Not many people know about modulo. You can do it without of course, but knowing modulo makes it ez pz kchz.
>>
>>1531070
Thanks man
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.