[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newfag here I want transfer to Linux (currently using Windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 1491325482368.png (2MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1491325482368.png
2MB, 1440x900px
Newfag here I want transfer to Linux (currently using Windows 7) but I don't know which flavor I should get. Any suggestions? Something like pic related preferably.
>>
>>6891700
thats macOS
also hes a retard you should do the opposite of whatever he does, so actually install linux i guess
>>
To Ubuntu gnome or gtfo
>>
>>6891713
Which one? There's gnome 1,2, or 3
>>
>>6891709
Thanks my dude looks nothing like mac to me but I thought it looked nice.
>>
>>6891700
If all you care about is your desktop then it doesn't fucking matter.
>>
For beginners, it doesn't matter.
All distros can be riced.
For beginners I recommend Xubuntu and after you got the hang (basis shell and other things) of it maybe move on to some other distro that has some feature that you really want and can't be achieved on other distros easily
>>
>>6891895
Thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>6891700
If you're actually interested in computers, how things work under the surface and ready to learn a lot, I could recommend starting out with ArchLinux. It wont be easy and its generally not seen as a beginner distro, but it has great documentation and forces you to get in touch with you system. I myself started with Arch, it went quite well and I dont regret it, it's still my main OS.
On the other hand, if you just want something that works and/or is easy to style, you could try out distros which are considered to be more "beginner-friendly" like Ubuntu. Good luck
>>
>>6892018
Thanks anon. I will check it out and see if it's what I want.
>>
>>6891700
Download and install virtualbox - use it to try different distros
>https://distrowatch.com/

The key terms your are looking for are "rice" and "window manager"
>>
>>6892102
Thanks I'll try out the flavours recommended above on virtual box
>>
>>6892018
If you wouldn't mind can I see a screenshot of your desktop? Just to get an idea of what it's like.
>>
>>6891700
If you want something relatively easy to get a hold of decide on an Ubuntu based distro like linux mint XFCE edition. You can do a fair amount of customization without the hassle of learning keyboard commands for doing everything. Ubuntu based ones have plenty of tutorials for the small issues you come across (setting up a vpn or a steam controller not working)
>>
>>6891700
Install Gentoo
>>
File: mboard.jpg (375KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mboard.jpg
375KB, 1920x1080px
Linux Mint with the Xfce desktop

it's good for beginners because its based off of Ubuntu which means pretty much everything for Ubuntu is compatible with out having to tweak stuff,
its UI is more closely related to windows,
and Mint handles mp3s and dvds out of the box (Ubuntu can too with a few check boxes during install)
Mint is lighter weight offering a slight edge in performance
>>
>>6891700
Here are some beginner distros I recommend:
Ubuntu MATE - probably the best beginner's distro in existence. It just werks in every way.
Linux Mint Cinnamon - it has a few core issues, but its usability is fantastic, especially for someone coming from Windows.
Peppermint OS - if Chrome OS were an actual Linux distribution, you would get this. My personal favorite Debian/Ubuntu derivative distro.
Elementary OS - if you like Mac's UI, this will be your distro of choice.

And please, PLEASE don't listen to anyone recommending Arch Linux. That will scare you straight off.
>>
>>6893946
i got manjaro which is based off of arch, its not that bad? maybe its because manjaro packs in stuff during installation i guess
>>
>>6893958

Manjoro is pretty nice. recently swapped to it after having tried ubuntu and fedora. Some things are a bit "harder" to do, but nothing you cant solve without referencing archwiki. Also recommend the i3 flavour of manjoro. Only takes a day or so to get a hang of i3 and it is well worth it. Manjoro also provides a document that goes over all the basic commands, which can be accessed by mod+shift+h.
>>
>>6893958
Manjaro is actually the distro I use. I just find the ones I listed better for pure beginners, although Manjaro is certainly great for beginners, too.

>>6894772
i3 is super nice once you get used to it, but I would keep a real DE on standby just in case you don't like i3. Gnome and KDE are both pretty solid, although KDE can be a bit buggy at times.
>>
Genuine Question:
Why is everyone currently jumping onto Linux?
I've dabbled with distros on raspberry pis and other machines, but they where for others who didn't know how to image.
>>
>>6892054
If you find that a bit tough and want something that "just works" after an install I would recommend (Unity)Ubuntu or i. But Ubuntu is switching from Unity to Gnome next update so if you learn that UI it'll change soon. Fedora IMHO is more user friendly and stable right now. Easily surpasses Windows in usability.
>>
>>6895264
They're swapping because they are realizing that Linux has truly become better. It's faster, easier (in only a couple, but still), and it's fun to learn!

That, coupled with the fact that it runs Mac and PC programs makes it better?
>>
Ever tried Lubuntu as a light-weight alternative?
>>
>>6891700
ubuntu is good for beginners, benefits from having plenty of documentation for when you need to google how to do something. also manjaro is supposed to be good for beginnners and since it is based of ArchLinux there will be plenty of documentation you can look up should you need to as well.

as far as making the desktop look like what is in your pic, that depends on the window manager. the window manager used in your pic is i3. i totally recommend using i3, i use it myself. i3 can be used with pretty much any distro, there are plenty of tutorials that you can google.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.