[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes Symphony of the Night so good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

Youngfag and big Souls series fan here.
Heard that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was one of the big inspirations for the series, and I've recently started to love Metroidvania games. I'm about 20 minutes into Symphony of the Night, and it doesn't seem THAT special. A damn good game, but a masterpiece?
>>
>>4258483
You're 20 minutes in. Give it a while. Some of those bosses are neat as hell.
>>
>20 minutes in

You need to play it for more than that to get a grasp of what SOTN is all about.
>>
Couldn't even give it an hour before making a thread? What is this world coming to?
>>
Lol 20 minutes in
>>
When I first played it I knew it was special by 20 minutes in but hindsight is a bitch.
>>
>>4258483
Realize that is came out in an era when there were literally 3-4 games in this style. And is was by far one of the two best ones.

Now there's dozens, more CV games in the same style and a lot more quality around in general.

That said, sotn is still a great game. There's tons of hidden abilities, special attacks, familiars, tone of weapons and more. It's much more of an RPG than a strict metroid like action adventure game though.

Which brings me to my last point: don't say "metroidvania" when referring to the genre. The genre is literally "side scrolling action adventure". Metroidvania refers specifically to castlevania games with metroid like features.
So nothing other than castlevania games can be called metroidvania. The popular use of the label is the fault of morons not wanting to simply say "metroid-like" and it caught on because its become e a buzzword for indie devs.
>>
>>4258483
take your ADHD meds and play for longer than 20min you fucking spastic.
>>
>>4258507
It took me 5 minutes. This game barely takes too much time to learn what you are in for. In the firsts minutes you can appreciate the music, graphics and gameplay value https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnuqGIKXPyc
>>
>>4258483
>Heard that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was one of the big inspirations for the series
you got meme'd
anyways between that and the 20 minutes thing, the post is most probably some hardcore bait
>>
>>4258483
Oldfag and big Castlevania fan here. Is Dark Souls 3 a good game or did I fuck up hardcore buying whatever shiny thing is in a Steam sale?

>>4258514
We call them either castle-scrollers or MVGs.

Honestly SotN seems like it had a lot more time, love, and effort put into it than the later games. Maybe the CD storage space is a factor in that. I strongly prefer the old action platformers but SotN is still a worthwhile game.
>>
>>4258693
>Dark Souls 3
Not retro
>>
>>4258693
It's currently the game I play the most
>>
>I'm about 20 minutes into Symphony of the Night, and it doesn't seem THAT special. A damn good game, but a masterpiece?

Let's say it that way: I'm 99.9999% sure that you already missed a secret boss encounter.
>>
When I first played it, I had grown up playing all the classic Castlevania games and when I came to this I was blown away with the artwork. The artwork was amazing and so was the music. It really helped you get into the mood of the game. While it was actually pretty easy of a fan, especially in comparison to previous titles l (except super Castlevania), the whole atmosphere of the game and the fact that you can have equipment and levels and find hidden areas and monsters drop special items, it was so amazing.

Then the second half of the game came when you got the glasses and it fucking tanked because the they copy and pasted then flipped the map and 3/4 of it just the same monsters so it became a chore just to finish it because you had already played it but with slightly different enemies.

Still worth a play through especially if you're into breaking games a use this shit has so many glitches it actually makes it better than it really is.
>>
>>4258759
Also take into account that I loved Vampire Hunter D and this was like the game version, so I'm biased.
>>
>>4258759
>muh flipped map is shit
Look closely and you will see how even on map 1 a lot of enemies are copy pasted.
>>
>>4258483
The first castle is superb, SUPERB.

The inverted castle is mediocre at best.
>>
>>4258896
inverted castle is a short boss rush, I don't know what people were expecting
>>
>>4258483
fuck off you low i.q adhd millenial cunt, i hope you get shitcancer dickhead.
>>
>>4258483
As someone that has played pretty much every igavnia at least twice.

It's one of those things that is given too much credience due to ignorance. There were metroidvanias before including ones with RPG systems. The wonder boy series for instance. The way the internet talks you'd think that the only games that did this stuff before were metroid.

Its the same reason why Goldeneye and Final Fantasy are held up. You'd think these games were pioneers in their genre if they never touched PC gaming.

I highly doubt dark souls was influenced by this. It's a continuation of King's Field which was influenced by Ultima Underworld, a game that the average souls-fan probably doesn't even know exist.
>>
>>4258483

Demon's/Dark Souls has nothing to do with Symphony of the Night. If anything it influenced Bloodborne, and only in terms of aesthetics.

If you want to play the predecessors of the Souls series try older Fromsoft games like King's Field, Evergrace, Lost Kingdoms
>>
>>4259172

Oh and definitely Shadow Tower
>>
>>4258483
>I'm about 20 minutes into Symphony of the Night
Yeah the first half hour or so is great........ It goes to shit though. Soundtrack is the best thing about it.
>>
he attention to detail, thoughtfulness of design and some of the best minds at Konami in 2D sprite based gaming coming together for a tour de force of brilliance in an era of wonky 3D polygon based box pushing puzzle games .
>>
>>4258483
It's a beautiful mess, you either get it or you don't.
>>
>>4258757
>secret boss encounter
What?
>>
>>4259206
THat's only the normal castle. That doesn't apply to the inverted castle.
>>
>>4259278
Galamoth isn't that secret.
>>
>>4259327
He's also not available in the first 20 minutes of playing, I'm sure.
Anon is talking about the other secret encounter.
>>
>>4259108
>Goldeneye

Huh? Goldeneye was a big influence on games like Theif, Counter-Strike and Deus Ex and really set down what it meant to incorporate stealth into a 'realistic' shooting game. It was absolutely a pioneer in creating the style of gameplay it popularized, even if you could argue that many of its features technically existed individually in some mod of another game.
>>
>>4259108
I don't think it's very common to hear that Castlevania innovated anything, it's just a very fun series of games.
>>
>>4259420
>inverted castle
>fun
>>
>>4258514

Hey autist, shut the fuck up. They're metroidvanias.

>>4258483

The game has nothing to do with Dark Souls. Go play King's Field.

>>4259387

I have no idea why this board insists, without evidence, that Goldeneye is a stealth game. It's not. It's a shooter that turns into a bloodbath every mission. The fact that the AI doesn't attack you until they see you does not qualify as stealth.
>>
>>4258693
Dark Souls games get progressively worse starting from Demons Souls onward.
>>
>>4259435
>I have no idea why this board insists, without evidence, that Goldeneye is a stealth game

I'm not even making that claim, I'm pointing out that it heavily incorporates stealth elements, though it doesn't actively discourage killing, and that this was a fairly influential thing.

>The fact that the AI doesn't attack you until they see you does not qualify as stealth.

It does, in practice, mean you do have reason to care about being stealthy, because you will want to not alert any more guards at one time than you need to and this will give you reasons to sneak around/use quiet weapons etc. It's an undeniably important aspect of the game and the way that you aren't forced to choose between "run-and-gun" and "being stealthy" isn't exactly a negative. This kind of game-play wasn't a prominent aspect of FPS beforehand at all. The game isn't Theif of Tenshu and isn't trying to be like that, but it played no small part in this kind of gameplay becoming popular.
>>
>>4259526

You claim it created the stealth gameplay that it popularized. You did in fact claim it's a stealth game.

In reality, the only thing Goldeneye does is give a choice as to when and where the mission-to-mission lawnmower of killing everyone on the map starts.

What you identify as stealth is actually game mechanics that just prevent the player from being mobbed by all enemies on the map at once, nothing more.
>>
>>4259334
Succubus? I think she's further than 20 minutes in too.
>>
>>4259526
>This kind of game-play wasn't a prominent aspect of FPS beforehand at all.

This shit happened in DOOM, and even Wolfenstein. Where the fuck are you getting your information?
>>
>>4259570
>You claim it created the stealth gameplay that it popularized.

Yes.

>You did in fact claim it's a stealth game.

In a meaningful sense, yes.

>In reality, the only thing Goldeneye does is give a choice as to when and where the mission-to-mission lawnmower of killing everyone on the map starts.

As opposed to what? What stealth based FPS were there before Ge that had more advanced mechanics than it did? My whole point is that games that you brought up with "more involved" stealth, like Thief, were strongly influenced by Goldeneye and its approach to stealth and explicitly borrowed from its mechanics, with the dev teams openly citing it an an influence. I'm not even sure what your point here is.

>What you identify as stealth is actually game mechanics that just prevent the player from being mobbed by all enemies on the map at once, nothing more.

Anyway, are you saying what I think you are? Goldeneye has a physical alarm system that let guards globally alert the other guards in the level, and which you can prevent by making sure you kill them before that happens, but save for that the enemies are alerted individually and you can clear out a great deal of most levels by creeping around and headshotting enemies with a silenced pistol or sniper rifle, something which it clearly did innovate and which will prevent nearby guards from hearing you who might otherwise attack had you used a more aggressive approach. You seem to actually have no idea how the game's AI actually works and seem to be bashing the game's systems out of ignorance.

Please stop this bizarre revisionism before you invest yourself into it too much.
>>
>>4259278
>>4259334
I was talking about the Slogra and Gaibon encounter inside the room where you first meet Death that you trigger by entering the Alchemy Laboratory and immediately walk back.
>>
Playing SotN for the first time while knowing about the inverted castle probably diminishes the experience somewhat.

I'm glad I got to play it before the internet became ubiquitous and ruined everything.
>>
>>4259781
I tried to carefully word my shit to make it clear that I don't believe that Rare invented "enemies only becoming agro when they sense you" or anything stupid like that. You simply don't play Doom by going around sneaking past enemies enemies and setting up shots before they notice you, there's no practical way to play like that in the base game.
>>
I never used the backdash, though I probably should've. Dark Souls is like a 3d translation of it for all the optional areas, shortcuts, secrets, weapons (each with their own special abilities), and simple-AI enemies who guard their little aggro zones. Both games also have a big focus on boss fights at the end of each area.
>>
>>4260114
You don't play Goldeneye like that either. I find it utterly hysterical that you're accusing other people of revisionism whilst simultaneously claiming Goldeneye is a stealth game outside of the established parameters of enemies being aware or unaware of your presence.

You can't ghost a Goldeneye level any more than you can in DOOM.
>>
I see a lot of people don't seem to have any fondness for the inverted castle.

While I agree it may not have been the perfect solution; perhaps even a lazy one, one must wonder what else could've been done.

I've played every handheld Castlevania to 100% completion save for OOC(I emulated it and it kicked my ass, but also strangely felt simultaneously like and not like a Castlevania game, ended up losing save and haven't tried it again).

Aaanyway, I didn't really like the "chaos" world in dawn of sorrow, nor the disjointed world feel in Portrait of Ruin- a mar on an otherwise excellent game. Actually, that's one of the things that kept me from getting into OOC.

Maybe the inverted castle isn't the pinnacle of creativity, but I'd like to think it was the best they could do with the resources they had... Hell, I probably would've enjoyed the handheld offerings more, but I was always thinking "Gee, I wish this was SOTN 2..." Oh well.
>>
>>4258483
>big Souls series fan here.
>Heard that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was one of the big inspirations for the series

Yeah no, if you're interested in what comes before Dark Souls, you need to play FromSoftware's previous games: the King Field series

SOTN is still great though but it doesn't have anything to do with Dark Souls.
>>
Why tf this game cost 100-150€ on ebay?
>>
>>4260161
>this whole argument
Jesus Christ it cannot be this hard to understand how GE differs from Doom
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.