[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some simple /vr/ games with gentle difficulty curves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Kirby64_box.jpg (52KB, 500x349px) Image search: [Google]
Kirby64_box.jpg
52KB, 500x349px
What are some simple /vr/ games with gentle difficulty curves and mechanics that are easy for a kid to wrap their head around?

My 5-year-old nephew is finally starting to show an interest in video games, so I picked up pic related to play with him. What are some other good options?

He's interested in the Mario games, but the difficulty goes up just a bit too fast. I want the kid to be able to progress, you know?

I currently only own an N64, a SNES, and a PSX, but all recommendations are welcome.

Bonus points for co-op.
>>
Yoshi's story maybe, it's much easier than island. It's hard to get kids to appreciate this stuff when they're surrounded by tablets and newer consoles with much "prettier" graphics and more of instant gratification. It would be fun if you can get them interested but I wouldn't try to force it just because it's the stuff you grew up with.
>>
>>4252335
His dad did the smart thing and started him off with older consoles, so we're trying to move the kid up a little at a time.

They're also broke right now, so a current gen console isn't really on the table just yet. So really, this is the one big chance I have to introduce him to retro games.

But of course I won't force it. I just want to have some options if/when he wants to play.
>>
I don't know man, I played SMB, Contra, Lode Runner, Tetris, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Ice climbers, Duck Hunt, Battle City etc. on my famiclone when I was a kid
you didn't need to convince me to play games, I was already hooked
>>
>>4252328

I've beaten Doom on PC when I was 5yo. Tell your kid to man up.
>>
>>4252328
>that are easy for a kid to wrap their head around?

Stop this meme. Kids learn faster than adults and have better reaction time.

Nowadays people treat kids like retards and it's exactly this kind of behaviour that turns them into retards.
>>
>>4252426
It's less about whether he can handle it and more about his complete lack of exposure to games in general. I let him play some SM64 a little bit ago, and while he started to get there after a little while, just the jump to 3D and figuring out how to move around was a lot all at once. He's at that point where he still moves the controller up when he jumps.

I just want a path forward for the kid. He'll figure out whatever I put in front of him, but I'd rather it not be quite so frustrating. I want him to be challenged by the game, not by the control scheme.

But I feel you about people treating kids like morons. My family runs a daycare, and it's really amazing what kids can figure out if you just give them time.

>>4252382
Some good recommendations. I really should show him Tetris; I hadn't even thought about it, but that's right up his alley.
Thanks anon. I'm not sure how hooked he is just yet because I don't get to see him all that often, but my sister makes it sound like he's pretty obsessed. Here's hoping.
>>
>>4252346
>His dad did the smart thing and started him off with older consoles
I'm cringing so hard imagining what kind of self-important douchebag hipster this poor kid's father is.

I often shake my head at modern youth culture, but I feel like that happens with every generation. I would never want to force my childhood upon my own kid just because I think it's better.
>>
>>4252446
>He's at that point where he still moves the controller up when he jumps.
Well yeah, he's 5. I think that's a bit too young for Mario 64, or most 3D games in general.
>>
>>4252452
>not starting with the classics to give context to modern titles
Why would you deprive a kid of a sense of history?

>>4252453
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. My collection is mostly stuff I missed as a kid, so when he asked to play last time he was over, that was the most kid-friendly game I had. So here I am, trying to get my hands on some options for him.
>>
>>4252506
>Why would you deprive a kid of a sense of history?
It's fucking video games. Not fine art. Not culture.
>>
>>4252539
I agree that it's not fine art, but it's definitely culture. It's been defining childhoods for 30 years, so it absolutely is a defining piece of our culture.

If you don't think games are important to people, then why the fuck are you here?
>>
>>4252574
>If you don't think games are important to people, then why the fuck are you here?
I like to play them. I think they're fun, and they're important to me in a nostalgic way, yes. I don't think they need to be important to anyone else, nor must they play them for a sense of "history".
>>
Mortal Kombat hit the Genesis when i was 5. I loved it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.