[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever finished a (retro) game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: end.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
end.png
4KB, 225x225px
Have you ever finished a (retro) game?
>>
>>4252145
Yeah, I try to make a point of finishing games before I get new ones. Finally got the good ending in Sonic 2 recently!
>>
Nah, man.
Retro games are way too hard.
I usually watch a let's play on YouTube while holding the controller and pretend I'm playing myself.
I can always pretend I'm a champ with all of my pals because they've never even played a game, let alone complete it. I got my sealed copy of earthbound on the shelf, so I got all the hypster cred I need.
>>
I've only finished a couple of games. I have a crippling fear of endings. For example, when I was 14, I played all the way to the very end of FFVIII and saved right before the final boss and never came back.
>>
>>4252145
i finished 3 yesterday
>>
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Castlevania
Castlevania 2
Castlevania 3
Super Castlevania 4
Castlevania Dracula X
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 6
Mega Man 9 (does this count?)
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Mean Bean Machine
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island
>>
>>4252163
I don't have a "fear" of endings, but there's something I've noticed lately. I tend to replay games I like but usually stop before the end. It's more because I wish they didn't have to end, though. I wish they could go on forever...
>>
I was at my friends' the other day. He has a nes but only has mario duck hunt to play. I started casually playing it while we were talking, and I ended up completing it without even realizing.
>>
>>4252163
well ffviii has that daunting last boss that makes you want to procrastinate. once you actually dedicate yourself to ultimicia she's actually pretty easy. i waited like 3 weeks before taking her on
>>
>>4252173
>Castlevania Dracula X
Tried this, but couldn't do it.
Those damn spear guys, man.
>>
>>4252176
I know that feeling, it's like how I don't like finishing some TV shows or books because I know that it's the end.
>>
Yes, and they're always disappointing.
>>
>>4252191
Believe it or not, that game is actually my favorite in the series, it's the most strategic of them all
>>
>>4252176
>>4252163
I find a lot of games get repetitive and boring towards the end which causes me to drop them.

I remember being totally in love with Wind Waker, playing it constantly. Then I got to the final dungeon where you have to do mini versions of the earlier dungeons and my interest sunk like a rock. Forced my way though two of them and then just never picked it up again.
>>
>>4252145
>Have you ever finished a (retro) game?
So it has come to this, /vr/ is _literary_ a hipster place.
>>
>>4252184
Problem with ffviii is the enemy leveling system. I barely used anyone other that Selphie and Irvine, Zell was level 12 ir something stupid. Since it apparently takes everyone's levels into account all it took was 1 casting if aura and then two limits and *POOF* dead.
>>
>>4252274
It took you this long to figure out?
>>
>>4252161
Earthbound never came sealed. I had to explain that to the dude who wanted to buy mine

>>4252176
Can relate

>>4252272
This happens a lot too. Zelda is a frequent offender. "Hey, let's revisit all the old stages with a new item to find a hidden sword power up!" Ugh, no thanks. Maybe if they'd been over before I was ready to say goodbye in the first place but no.
>>
>>4252163

That sounds familiar. I playef FF VI right up until i could go to Kefka's tower, never finished it. And I also played Chrono Trigger TWICE up until I could take on Lavos but never did it.
>>
>>4252145
Yup. Numerous. That said, there are still some that I played as a kid and never have beaten. A few of them are
Battletoads
Jurassic Park (nes)
Tailspin
Batman and Robin (Genesis)
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but there are plenty more.
>>
>>4252176
Kek I do this too. Just recently with Castlevania, Mr Nutz, and Super Adventure Island. I didn't do this as a child, it's something I picked up within the last few years.
>>
>>4252145
>vr
>playing games ever
no
>>
File: 1394753315691.gif (9KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
1394753315691.gif
9KB, 350x250px
>>4252145
Yes, a Super Famicom game called Magical Pop'n.

>Gotta admit, the grappling hook ability is the cheesiest weapon that doesn't sonsume stars.
>>
>>4252371
...If you're talking /vr/ regulations, I've beaten plenty. Recently, Castlevania: Symphony of The Night.
>>
File: woha.png (29KB, 716x202px) Image search: [Google]
woha.png
29KB, 716x202px
>>4252274
Finishing a game is only a small part of the while playing experience.

In every jrpg, the last fight requires to grind for a week before being ready. Only to unlock the credits.
>>
>>4252176
I recently did that with Bravely Default. Maxed every job and leveled to 99, now I can bring myself to finish the last fucking world.
>>
I remember beating revenge of shinobi for the first time in 2010. I got the game in 1992.
>>
>>4252392
>In every jrpg, the last fight requires to grind for a week before being ready. Only to unlock the credits.
>there are people who truly believe this
>>
>>4252145
I played and beat them when they were new. Enjoyed them with my friends back then, and now I enjoy them with my wife.
>>
File: asian wraps.gif (50KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
asian wraps.gif
50KB, 800x800px
Yeah I'd say around 40-50. These days I usually save scum because I can't be asked to go through some stages again.

I recently finished Ristar and had a lot of fun with it, but that final boss was really difficult for me so I save scummed before the fight so I wouldn't lose all my lives.

Usually if a game is kind of short and I've got the time, I'll finish it without saving. Finished Shadow Dancer on the Mega Drive because it was quite easy and short. Took around 7 playthroughs, or a JRPG that lets me save such as Grandia and Suikoden which I finished recently.
>>
Beating Kid Chameleon legit was the best feeling I've gotten out of a game.
>>
>>4252145
I beat Ghosts n Ghouls and got the good ending this past weekend. Just started playing Shining Wisdom.
>>
Took me all of summer 2013 to finish Revenge of Shinobi for the genesis... never managed to save Shinobi's gf being crushed by Zeed tho.
>>
>>4252145
Sure. A buttload.
>>
File: GBC64.jpg (187KB, 1440x909px) Image search: [Google]
GBC64.jpg
187KB, 1440x909px
The first game I ever beat was Ghostbusters on the c64, though the strategy I used was pretty terrible. I would make just enough money to count a profitable then just wait for the PKE meter to max out so I could go to the final screen.
Doing so I would pause all the ghosts on the screen and just wait, staring, with my finger over the B key in case the marshmallow man showed up.
Then I would just trust my luck to get two men into the building.
>>
>>4253657
never played ghost busters to the c64, but that sounds like some intense strats right there
>>
>>4252145
When I was less than 10yo, Kid Icarus only .
>>
>>4253685
It's the best version of the game. It was adapted several times but every subequent version was janky in some way, especially the NES one.

It is also the most accurate adaptation of the ghostbusters in game form ever in that it's about running a business, eating chinese with the last of the petty cash, and the bank foreclosing on you because you couldn't get it together in time to top the marshmallow man and had to pay for the damages.

That's the essence of ghostbusters!
>>
I've beaten plenty, including Super Mario 1 (no warping) and Legend of Zelda for the first time ever earlier this year. I beat Earthworm Jim for the first time a couple weeks ago as well. My most memorable though is Earthbound.

I played it a ton back when it released, and got to the haunted mall part which kicked my ass. I eventually gave up on it and moved on. 3 years pass and I wonder about finishing it. I eventually push through the mall and spend the next few weeks slowly making my way through to the end of the game. Incredibly rewarding experience for me since I almost never beat games back then, and especially not RPGs. To date it's literally the only RPG that I've ever beaten
>>
>>4252145

NES/Famicom

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 USA
Castlevania
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers
Mickey Mouse 3: Yume Fuusen
Ghostbusters II
Kirby's Adventure

SNES/Super Famicom
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 1,2
Dragon Quest
Earthbound
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past

Sega Mega Drive
Soleil
Wonder boy in monster world
Lion King

Game Boy/Color

Super Mario Land 1&2
Wario Land
Pokemon Red/Silver
Donkey Kong Land 1,2
Kirby's Dreamland
Pokemon Trading Card Game 1&2
The Legend of Zelda:Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda:Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons
>>
>>4252145
Yeah, finished off Return of Samus today - also completed Super Mario Land (1 and 2), Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and The Amazing Spider-Man (the GB version) over this summer
>>
>>4252176
>usually stop before the end
I do this all the time even with new games. It's more present in RPGs, though, or games where the fun really is in the journey, so to speak.

Like, once I've seen everything there is to do, gotten all the items/skills/abilities/secrets/whatever and explored every area of the map, I'm satisfied. What's the ending going to offer me? A boss fight that I might have to retry a couple of times, a couple of words of dialogue and a cutscene with some credits? I don't usually find it that fulfilling. As I said, for me, it's not where you go, but how you get there.
>>
>the most obvious angry /v/irgin thread in history of 4chan
>35 replies and 5 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
SMB, SMB3, SMW, Yoshi's island but not 100%ed, SMRPG, LttP, DKC2,3, Mario land 6 golden coins, pokemon blue, yellow, silver, Metal Slug 1,2,x,4, Alien vs Predator CPS2, 3 wonders (except the puzzle one that shit is impossible) and one cycle of raiden II
I am pretty sure I am missing a lot of stuff here but that's all I can remember right now.
>>
>>4254342
???
Your post is one of the only angry ones here though.
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
31KB, 480x360px
Me and my cousin beat Rampage on Nes sometimes in the late 80s.
Nothing remarkable, but it's the one I remember the most since we beat it coop-style and it took us like 3 hours
>>
Contra: Hard Corps
Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles
Zelda Link To The Past
Final Fantasy 3 (U.S.)
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Sonic Spinball
Mean Bean Machine
Shining Force 1, 2
Pirates! Gold (Genesis)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Mortal Kombat 1, 2
Eternal Champions
Phantasy Star 4
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike
General Chaos
Jurassic Park 1, Rampage
Aladdin
Shinobi 3
Pokemon Blue
Kirby for NES, SNES

Come at me bro.
>>
>>4252163
When I was little I cried after beating Paper Mario because it was stuck on a "The End" screen and I thought I couldn't play anymore.
>>
Yes.
>>
I've beaten nethack 10 times
>>
>>4252145
Several. Hasn't everybody here?

The great thing about retro games is that you feel like you've achieved something after beating them.
>>
>>4252343
It took me like 15 years to finish the Lost Vikings.

>>4252515
I got to that last boss fight as a kid once, but didn't manage to beat it.
So close...
>>
>>4254758
>Mortal Kombat 1, 2
I think I got up to Goro once.
MK2 was the first game I rage quit.
Those spam sweeps/uppercuts were so cheap.
>>
>>4252145
Super Mario Bros
The first 2 Sonic games
The first Alex kid game
Jaws on Nes
The first Contra

That is pretty much all i remember off my head.
>>
I've beat a bunch of games several times, quake 1 i've played/beat more times than i can remember
>>
>>4252145

I've beaten quite a few. The first game I ever beat was Ascendancy, a dos 4x game.
>>
I've finished every game in the /v/ recommended list for nes, snes, gameboy and PS1. Working my way through dreamcast and Genesis now.
>>
How the hell can you people reply seriously without hitting the character limit?
>>
>>4255704
Easier to list the close calls and the ones that got away than the whole list of games we've finished most likely.
>>
>>4252145
Am I supposed to write a list here?
Anyway, for /vr/-related beaten games

Zelda 2
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 + 3 (All Stars version)
Lost Levels
Castlevania
Megaman 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
TMNT 1 for NES
Darkwing Duck
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Punch-Out !!

Super Mario Land and Land 2
Wario Land 1, 2 and 3
Gameboy Gallery ... I guess? Not sure if it counts as beating but I got highscores over 300 in all 5 games
Donkey Kong 94
Donkey Kong Land 1 to 3
Duck Tales
Turtles Fall of the Foot Clan (this is an easy one)
Kirby's Dream Land (idem)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 - never managed to collect all the rainbow drops but could probably do so if I put some time into it

Super Mario World
Killer Instinct
Donkey Kong Country 1 to 3
Yoshi's Island
Lufia 2
Terranigma
Goof Troop
Pacman 2
Top Gear 1
Link to the Past
Tetris Attack: both VS CPU and stage clear modes
Wario's Woods: All 254 stages in round game and VS CPU on normal mode
Street Fighter 2: every installment but only beaten World Warrior on hardest difficulty
Super Mario Kart on 150 cc
F-Zero: beaten on easy and normal, have to finish with expert and master however
Starfox: finished route 1, still have to finish routes 2 and 3

Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64: beaten on hard route but not able to get all the medals yet

Still busy with some games like mentioned above and still have to finish other games like Goldeneye. I usually take my time with beating a game because if it feels like a chore then it's better to leave it alone for a while.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.