[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some /vr/ JRPGs with a heavy or stronger than usual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Grandia[1].jpg (137KB, 855x481px) Image search: [Google]
Grandia[1].jpg
137KB, 855x481px
What are some /vr/ JRPGs with a heavy or stronger than usual focus on characters? I've been playing RPGs with silent protagonists and create-a-party systems so I could use a change of pace, and I don't mind a weak plot if the characters are engaging.
>>
>>4251794
Rance games I guess.
>>
>>4251794
If you liked Grandia's characters you might also like Skies of Arcadia's.
>>
>>4251794
Final Fantasy from IV upwards if you're 14 at heart
>>
Lunar 1 and 2
>>
>>4251794
Chrono Trigger, even though it has a silent protagonist it still focuses plenty on character interaction.
>>
SaGa Frontier 2.
>>
File: sendak-dialog[1].png_w=625.png (208KB, 501x672px) Image search: [Google]
sendak-dialog[1].png_w=625.png
208KB, 501x672px
>>4251794
Bahamut Lagoon is always overlooked and i say it features great characters.
>>
>>4251794
The characters are oneof the main reasons I hated that game ao much. The Lunars were very solid though which is partly why it was such a let down.

Also Legend of Mana has some very good character work.

SaGa Frontier 2 as well.
>>
File: desert_bar_by_cuckooguy.jpg (286KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
desert_bar_by_cuckooguy.jpg
286KB, 1280x1024px
>>4251794

Like this anon said >>4251958 Skies of Arcadia has some pretty fleshed out characters for what it is. Main character is a 10/10 protag, and the two girls he hangs around with are great in their own right.

SoA also has a great sense of adventure in a similar vain to Grandia.
>>
>>4251794
been trying out Star Ocean: The 2nd Story on PS1. I think the characters are very engaging so far from what I've seen.

It's good so far. I also played a bit more of the original Star Ocean and it focuses on character building and their depth more than some other RPGs I've known.

I can recommend that series.
>>
Phantasy Star
>>
Both Lunar games sound like exactly what you're looking for, OP. Tales games also have a heavy focus on characters though YMMV on the quality.
>>
>>4251794
Every time I try to play this game I suddenly remember how godawful the dub is and that you can't switch the voices or turn it off.

I gotta learn moon or something if I'm ever gonna play Grandia.
>>
Tits
>>
>>4252948
There's an undub patch online
>>4252965
Trails in the sky? That's not retro

But it does have what OP is looking for
>>
>>4253024
>There's an undub patch online
Does the game emulate well? PSX and PS2 emulation has been pretty iffy in my experience.
>>
>>4252141
The character writing is great, some of the best on the SNES, even if the plot is pretty generic.
>>
>>4253389
One of the most overrated RPGs. The writing was terrible, and judging by the screen >>4252141 used I'd say they're aware of it and were being sarcastic.
>>
>>4253398
It's almost like you have trouble when a story is being playful. Go back to "muh planescape"
>>
>>4252948
I kind of like the dub, reminds me of Saturday morning cartoons on Fox Kids.
>>
>>4253398
you're just salty you got cucked
>>
>>4253326
>PSX
>iffy
Mednafen plays literally everything that runs on a real console (not all romhacks do).
>>
>>4253538
Not him but it was my first NTR. Wasn't cool
>>
>>4252141
It really does. I like that everyone has their own thing going on. It makes the ship feel really alive.
>>
>>4253869
It doesn't play if it's a bad rip in a weird format, and sometimes even converting to bin cue doesn't work.
>>
>>4256261
Then don't use a bad rip?
>>
>>4256261
Just download the whole NTSCU set off archive.org
>>
Legend of Dragoon is fun, Rhapsody a musical adventure is great, Persona 2 is good but the lead is silent so I dont know if it counts that the rest of the party get good development.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.