[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you prefer final fantasy or dragon quest?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

File: 1315171915738.png (14KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1315171915738.png
14KB, 300x400px
Do you prefer final fantasy or dragon quest?
>>
both
my favorites in order:
FFVI, DQV, FFIX, DQIV, DQVIII, FFVII, FFX, DQVI, FFIV.

I love dragon quest for its focus in the story and not in being inovative. the series is super conservative and I like that. I want my dragon quests to have a job system, to be turn based and to hate metal slimes. And a hard last boss.
I love final fantasy because it's always trying to reinvent itself. Sometimes it blows up in their faces but they try. I hate online games, I hate FFXIII. I loved FFXV, it was super gay and made me happy (i'm not gay but I have nothing against that).
Anyways, why not both? that and suikoden and tales.
>>
>>4251484
Final Fantasy. I haven't find a DQ game that I could fall in love with.
>>
Dragon Quest
>>
Final Fantasy. Dragon Quests all feel like sort of the same which I realize is exactly why some people will say Dragon Quest is their favorite.
>>
>>4251484
Final Fantasy, if only because Dragon Quest IX made me so depressed that I actually considered suicide for a while.
>>
>>4251501
>to have metal slimes
I don't hate them.
>>
>>4251535
I interpreted that as you hate them because they're hard to kill.
>>
>>4251536
I love them.
My strongest character in DQIV was torneko, by far, because the same place where I had to farm money had metal slimes, so he was like 20 levels higher than everybody else. In every dragon quest I try to farm metal slimes. Even in dragon quest VIII there was an island with loads of them. And in DQIX there was this shared dungeon where the only enemy was metal slimes.
>>
>>4251484
Final fantasy as a series more
>>
FFV and DQ3 are the quintessencial jrpgs
>>
>>4251484

Final Fantasy.

because intruiging aesthetics. I just love it.
I might give Dragon Quest a chance though.
your pic looks interesting, is there a Dragon Quest anime?
>>
>>4251501
>both
The only correct answer.

It's like comparing home cooking to fine dining. Neither truly outshines the other and they both have their strengths. True patricians enjoy both.
>>
File: noidea.jpg (41KB, 351x359px) Image search: [Google]
noidea.jpg
41KB, 351x359px
>>4251531
>if only because Dragon Quest IX made me so depressed that I actually considered suicide for a while.
what
>>
>>4252813
Probably no friends to play it with.
>>
>choosing one
If I absolutely 100% had to choose, I'd go with FF, although DQ is very close to me choosing it just for DQ7 alone, good fucking god I love that game.
>>
Phantasy Star
>>
File: 13753660_p0.jpg (326KB, 1000x742px) Image search: [Google]
13753660_p0.jpg
326KB, 1000x742px
There are not nearly enough pictures of Not-Marle on the internet.
>>
>>4252892
That was the merchant Class, but then again Toriyama did the artwork for CT also.
>>
File: 1499026357602m.jpg (112KB, 1024x631px) Image search: [Google]
1499026357602m.jpg
112KB, 1024x631px
>>4251484
Dragon Quest easily. I have tried four Final Fantasy games and dropped all of them. Meanwhile I can pick up a Dragon Quest game and become obsessed.
>>
>>4252892
If only they had Torneko's treasure finding skills, but nope, let's make a new class for that.
>>
File: 1488200563952.jpg (359KB, 1280x1892px) Image search: [Google]
1488200563952.jpg
359KB, 1280x1892px
DQ for sure. The series has a lot more heart to it. I like FF games a bunch too.
>>
>>4251484
Depends. FFV is better than any DQ by a fucking mile, most DQs are better than the rest.
>>
DQ overall, though the one or two FF's I did enjoy are better than or on par with the best DQ games I've played.
>>
>>4252813
It was what, 8 years ago now? God, I was a teenager back then, already going through a lot, and then this sad-ass DS game comes along.

I don't even fucking remember all of it, and I know I didn't beat the fucking thing, because I sold it pretty fast. What I DO remember is that every single fucking town you got to had a problem, you'd try and fix that problem, and then you'd find out either A) Solving the thing didn't save anyone, B) You didn't solve the thing fast enough and someone died, C) Someone was already dead and solving the thing was pointless (and their dad was the thing), or D) God is dead and none of the things you solve will ever matter.

Fuck that game, it fucked me up hard and gave me an existential crisis.
>>
>>4253098
>>
both series scratch their own kind of itch for me.
one thing i do like about DQ though is that they all have this childlike sense of wonder to them.
all the events, characters, and monsters are like things you would tell children stories about.

anyways, V is my favorite, played the snes and ds versions, deborah is my waifu, fight me.
>>
File: sneaking tom.jpg (13KB, 369x369px) Image search: [Google]
sneaking tom.jpg
13KB, 369x369px
Lunar, Grandia and Skies of Arcadia are better
>>
I'm about to marathon the first 6 FF games, never played a FF game before
I'll be playing the GBA versions of 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 with their necessary colour/music patches.
I'm irked that there is no GBA version of 3 and while tempted to emulate the PSP version, I don't like that it's not sprites.
My question is, is the story all that important in these games? Will I be missing anything in 4/5/6 if I skip 3?
>>
>>4253810
none of them are related
the US GBA version of IV is buggy, play the european version
>>
>>4253817
Thanks for the heads-up!
>>
>>4251536
Metal Slimes are great. They're low-risk, high-reward.
>>
Like everyone else has said, they're so different that it's hard to compare them, but I have to pick Dragon Quest.

Not to sound too Tumblr here, but they have this
>a e s t h e t i c
that I just can't get over. I don't know what it is, but I haven't found anything else quite like it.
>>
>>4253098
Let me guess, you play SaGa games.
>>
>>4251484
Dragon Quest is for autists who are addicted to meaningless grinds and number simulation battles.

Final Fantasy is for people who don't really like video games but want to pretend they do by watching movies.
>>
Game by game basis
FF1 > DQ 1
FF2 > DQ 2
FF3 < DQ 3
FF4 < DQ 4
FF5 = DQ 5 fucking good time to be a gamer, this era
FF6 > DQ 6
FF7 > DQ 7
FF8 < DQ 8
FF9 > DQ 9
never played dq 10 and don't like ff10
never played dq 11 and do like ff11 but don't feel they're comparable
don't like ff12 and on
>>
>>4253898
You're that guy, eh
>>
>>4253889
>Not to sound too Tumblr here, but they have this
>a e s t h e t i c

there is nothing tumblr about it.
the term "aesthetics" is used constantly when reviewing all sorts of entertainment media professionally. I know that.
>>
FF by far. DQ just has no depth for me. The characters are bland as bread with barely any dialogue and worse you can't even see them in battle so it's like they don't even exist at all. Relating to the characters is extremely important to me, even if it's just something small like a sprite slashing a weapon, I like to see that. FF casts are usually pretty good and they just have more personality. Plus on the other end of things FF games mix up the game play more and try new things while most DQs are pretty much just the same formula and enemies over and over.
>>
>>4253847
Yeah they aren't risky but they have a gambling nuance to them. They almost always run away, it's hard to kill one.
At least in Dragon Quest III, I haven't played any other DQ yet.
>>
Eh, if i had to put my favourite FF and DQ games in a top 5 together...
1. FF4
2. FF5
3. FF6
4. DQ7
5. DQ8 (but if keeping it retro, replace with DQ3, but I like DQ8 here since it goes 4 5 6 7 8)
>>
DQ mostly. I appreciate ATB's novelty, but I prefer the turn-based system in DQ. Plus, average fights in DQ are actually fun and challenging for me, while FF almost every non-boss fight gets routine and non-threatening. DQ seems to force you to be aware of MP/item management, and most spells are valuable and worth using outside of boss fights.

>>425432
Those differences are pretty intentional. FF has always gone further than a lot of series with dialogue and cinematics. DQ tends to avoid that, or at least make it more optional for the player (like clan chat, which I love and fleshes out the characters without being obtrusive).
>>
I prefer Final Fantasy overall, but I like Dragon Quest as well.

However, NES DQ > NES FF, and DQVIII onwards > every FF made after that.
>>
>>4252787
There's been at least one. I don't know much about it or how many there were.
>>
>>4251484
Dragon Quest. Only Final Fantasy I liked was tactics.
>>
>>4252787
There's 2 of them + a 40 minute anime movie. Each are based on a manga series but the movie is a prequel of sorts to the one its based on.
>>
>>4252892
>Soldier and Cleric get all the doujins
It's not fucking fair.
>>
>>4255491
Merchant can do some lewds when she wants
>>
Final Fantasy.
Both series have their mainline titles stand apart from the others, with different gameplay elements and overall themes for their games. But Dragon Quest frustrates me with where they choose to not change.
I can always expect a medieval world full of goofy monsters, Koichi Sugiyama's 50s sitcom music and ill-fitting battle themes, and the same few magic spells. And now accents and puns. Little things like slow text speed and all the dialogue associated with saving and buying from shops, which should have been ironed out by DQ4, stubbornly persist. Every game is "good," but the emphasis on nostalgia and charm keeps them from being great.
Final Fantasy isn't without its faults, of course. There's a lot of bloat, and plenty of garbage spells, items, and party members. Some titles, like V, VI, and X, have my favorite battle systems of any game, but II, VIII, and XII piss me right off. The production and budgets are so ambitious that they look like disasters of hubris waiting to happen. It's a miracle XV managed to not suck.
Still, every world (from VI on, anyway) feels unique, with stories and music that are inseparable from the whole, making every one memorable. Dragon Quest is like your favorite fast food place: tasty, but you'll get the same thing every time and they still don't have hot sauce. Final Fantasy is more like a restaurant where the menu changes every month: sometimes it's bison burgers, other times it's sriracha and pesto ramen. I don't want to eat sriracha and pesto ramen again, but boy will I remember it, and appreciate the fact that the chef tried something new.
>>
>>4254364
I agree with you on the resource management part. It makes dungeons feel more dangerous and forces you to balance dungeon time with the inevitable boss time. Because of the sheer rarity of Magic and Yggdrasil leafs, I end up benching my casters until I get walled by anything with high physical defense, so it's a double edged sword.
>>
My opinion is this. FF has higher highs. There's more effort put into making certain aspects of certain games special and memorable.

But DQ is just rock solid in tons of ways that FF just fails at. It's better at straight up being a game than FF is and doesn't need to rely on constantly changing gimmicks in order to mask how shallow the average battle actually is. It does a better job of consistently giving you freedom instead of making you wait for the end game like FF games always do.
>>
>>4251484
both for different reasons, though I prefer DQ slightly a bit more

DQ is goofier and sillier dripping with charm in a lot of ways but managed to hit a lot harder when things go dark. The story progresses more naturally than FF, where it tends to be heavy handed and overly dramatic at times, and it arguably have more interesting characters to play with and more memorable monsters to fight against. The gameplay is also remained unchanged and only gets better from there rather having to reinvent the wheel with each new installment.

FF however, strives to make itself more innovative and fresh each release. And when FF hits high, it usually hits much higher than a lot of DQ games, even if their misses were terrible. Their Job System should've been the bread and butter of the series since V made the whole thing perfect and it's so much more convinient than what DQ had with Vocations (albeit it had since improved on them in IX). FF is still without a doubt more aeathetically pleasing than DQ and XII is pure eye candy to this day.

So yeah, i like them both for different reasons. also we already have a game that does the best of both worlds from both devs even Chrono Trigger
>>
I like a lot of Final Fantasy games and a lot of Final Fantasy spinoffs.

I like the fan translated Dragon Quest III for snes and Dragon Quest 6 for DS, and one of it's spin offs.
>>
>>4251484
Because athmosphere is what I like most in video games, I prefer final fantasy6 over any dragon quest game.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.