[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate having shit taste. Like most of the games I like most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 1500109233814.png (296KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1500109233814.png
296KB, 600x450px
I hate having shit taste. Like most of the games I like most are unpopular, and often considered shit. But to a degree the opposite is usually true, as well. The most popular games are usually very 'meh' to me or might even be my least favorites in a series.

Favorite Mario game? SMB2

Favorite Final Fantasy? FF9
Least Favorite? FF7

Favorite non-FF RPG? Chrono Cross

Favorite Classicvania? Bloodlines
Least Favorite? Super IV

Favorite Resident Evil? REmake/Director's Cut
Least Favorite? RE2

Favorite Contra game? Hard Corps
Least Favorite? The original (which I actually hate)

Favorite Beat 'em Up? Golden Axe III or Hyperstone Heist
Least Favorite? Streets of Rage and Final Fight

Favorite TMNT Game? The original TMNT on NES

Favorite Toejam & Earl Game? Panic on Funkotron

Favorite Sonic Game? Sonic 3D Blast
Least Favorite (of the classics)? Sonic & Knuckles

I also love the NES Jaws, Treasure Master, Roger Rabbit, and Pagemaster for the Genesis.

It extends into non-Retro games as well... and movies, but that's not for here.
>>
>>4248591
>Favorite Classicvania? Bloodlines
>Least Favorite? Super IV

>Favorite Contra game? Hard Corps
>Least Favorite? The original (which I actually hate)

This isn't contrarian

>Favorite Sonic Game? Sonic 3D Blast
>Least Favorite (of the classics)? Sonic & Knuckles

This is
>>
>>4248596
Not intentionally. I like Sonic 3D Blast the most because I find it very cozy, I actually love the new playstyle to it, and I just think it's very unique. I've also always liked isometric games.

Sonic & Knuckles, however... I think it's just the first act that REALLY puts me off from it, and the fact that by the time I got to S&K I'd already binged Sonic 1, 2, and 3 so much that it just didn't feel different enough to invest me. But it's probably mostly that fucking mushroom act.
>>
>>4248605
You are supposed to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles together
>>
>>4248615
Yeah but I'm talking pretty strictly the new content it adds, not Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a whole. Though I still prefer Sonic 3 over Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
>>
>>4248596
Having IV as least favorite and original Contra too even to the point of hating it, is a contrarian or unpopular opinion, anon.
OP I don't know what to tell you, enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy what they enjoy I guess.

I actually see nothing wrong with the games you like, what I find weird is the ones you like the least.
>>
>>4248625
For Super Castlevania IV, it's not that I think it's a bad game, it's just that I like it the least of any of the originals besides CV2 (which I haven't played so I can't judge it.) Something about the visuals looks really... ugly to me. The sprites are a bit too large, and I just don't really like the feel of the game.

The original Contra, on the other hand... I just hate the Rambo/Macho Man aesthetic and how so much of what you fight are JUST dudes with guns, turrets, and other stationary machinery. Look at Contra Hard Corps. Right away you're put up against a massive cyclops robot and then shortly after you're on a train being chased by a psychotic mech. And Contra 3 is basically nothing but aliens and monstrosities. I know the original eventually gets to this kind of thing, but you have to play through so much of the stuff I hate I'd rather just play later entries.

Plus later Contra games let you play a bigger variety of characters, all of which I find more interesting than the original two.
>>
I feel this way for most Capcom games. Especially Megayman
>>
Personally I think RE in general is incredibly dated and cheesy. Silent Hill is the definitive PS1 horror title.
>>
>>4248709
You could argue the cheese is part of the appeal, though.
>>
>>4248591
>It extends into non-Retro games as well... and movies,

Everyone's different dude, celebrate it! Mad Max Fury Road is the only movue I ever found so boring I decided to take a nap till it was over and everyone I've ralked about it with thinks I'm nuts. It's all good though.

Favorite classic CV is Simon's Quest, favorite FFs are 2 and 9. Ecco the Dolphin is easily my favorite game of the 16 bit era. Whatever.
>>
File: vr wisdom.png (8KB, 737x86px) Image search: [Google]
vr wisdom.png
8KB, 737x86px
Pic related.
>>
>>4248717
Fair point.
>>
>>4248738
I also like Ecco, a lot. I didn't like FF2, but as I mentioned in the OP I love FF9. I loved Fury Road but can see why someone wouldn't, though I hated all of the old Mad Max movies.
>>
>>4248591
This is a earnest, non-edgy, non-shit on you question... why do you care that your taste differs from the mainstream of retro gamers?
>>
>>4248591
Btw I don't think your taste is that weird. I don't like 2d Sonic games, I prefer FF8 to 7, etc.

Maybe you can try to analyze what you like about your favorite media and see if there are any common trends.

With RPG's in particular, I personally find having a convincing and interesting world is more interesting than good story or gameplay. This is why I like FF8 and Legend of Dragoon more than most.
>>
>>4248591
Hey man, I can relate.

I like King of Fighters '99 more than most of the others, and everyone here loses their frickin' minds. Strikers be damned, that soundtrack and those aesthetics rock. Also, dat Whip
>>
Your opinions are pretty normal, even though I disagree with some of them
>>
>>4248591
I don't care about anything else on your post, liking FF9 means you're not beyond hope. Anybody who tries to pretend that game isn't a masterwork is a contrarian.
>>
You'd be fine if your post wasn't a long-ass list showing off every single preference you have as if you are pontificating. Probably something inauthentic about your tastes
>>
>>4249192
Because discussion about games I love is next to impossible.
>>
>>4249587
Massterwork? No. Great? Yes.
>>
>>4248717

They really are two different beasts; one was a spiritual successor to Sweet Home with a splash of Evil Dead thrown in, the other was more inspired by the works of Lynch and Cronenberg.
>>
>>4248591
interesting. QUestion to OP, which horror game scares you more:
SilentHill2
or
Ecco Defender of the future
>>
There's more to games than just gameplay. Same goes for graphics. There's feel, settings and space to appreciate.
>>
>>4248591
Tbqh I never bought into the circlejerkery over FF9, seemed like a very bland and generic JRPG even by Final Fantasy standards, not at all helped by the miserably slow gameplay. I'd take FF7 over it any day of the week.
>>
>>4248745
This. And using savestates.
>>
>>4252337
People who use savestates are the lowest of scum.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.