[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Bad Games in Good Franchises

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

What are some mediocre or outright terrible games in otherwise enjoyable franchises?

Pic related: Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage (aka: Warriors Rage 2). How SNK didn't go bankrupt faster is anyone's guess.

Holy shit, this is bad
>awful graphics
>lame roster
>lousy soundtrack
>boring story
>>
File: images(3).jpg (10KB, 302x167px) Image search: [Google]
images(3).jpg
10KB, 302x167px
It came between two amazing games, too.
>>
>lousy soundtrack
I don't think so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmYipbk2UNA

(I don't remember the other songs, though)
>>
>>4248551
>Saya
The only redeeming feature of this game.

Amazingly, she does not have any lewds of her. I've looked.
>>
>>4248519

>lame roster

You can say that again. I was stoked to play this game back in the day, only to get pissed within moments of hitting start. Can't call it Samurai Shodown when there's nobody but random jabronis, Hanzo and old man Haohmaru to pick from.
>>
>>4248559
>>4248560
Come to think about it, I kept thinking "I'd rather be fucking, err, playing as Charlotte" every time I looked at Saya.

She's that dull a character.
>>
>>4248519

I bought a copy of this from a rental store back in 2002. I've literally never seen a copy in person other than my copy. Apparently it was the very last game SNK made before going bankrupt, so that probably explains it. Canonically it's the last game in the timeline. shame it never crossed over into the last blade.
>>
>>4248586
Me, too. I rented it from Blockbuster back in 2000-2001 and completely hated it. Samurai Shodown III was better, and even that was mediocre.
>>
>>4248523
Lol top tier bait
>>
File: ff-wild-box.jpg (80KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ff-wild-box.jpg
80KB, 600x600px
>>4248592

Samurai Shodown 3 was a Neo Geo CD port, so the load times were unbearable. Even playing it with 2X read speed on a PS2 the load times were too long. Looking on eBay there isn't a single complete copy of the game in english for sale, so I'm going to guess the production numbers are pretty low. there's an add for Real Bout Fatal fury on the back of the Sam Sho 3 manual & they just decided to never release it. I had to get his instead, & it was almost as bad as warrior's Rage. SNK was not good at 3D games. I've never played the two arcade only Neo Geo 64 titles, but they probably aren't much better.
>>
>>4248519
I was just recently playing some Samurai Shodown game. can't remember which console. Genesis emulation? I think that was it.

the game is very mediocre.
>>
>>4248523
no.
>>
>>4248602

>SNK was not good at 3D games.

I thought the Maximum Impact games were ok (even if they didn't feel like proper KOF titles). And sorry for not being retro in this case.
>>
fuck you the game was made with love in all other aspects except graphics, just look at the story and soundtrack, even the characters was good in its own way.
>>
>>4248519
>>4248559
>>4248560

I liked Mikoto
>>
File: FF7_1.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FF7_1.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>4248519
This game, this is when sqaure perfected their formulae of cheesy nonsense diarrhea of wacky story telling that sells like hot cakes.It's the candy crush of the ff series. A lofty nonsubstential superficial effect and non logic emotional driven worthless piece of massmarket marketing stunt... almost completly went downhill from here. And before some fanboy who played this piece of garbage first tells me how awesome this piece of trash is. Take a look at almost all final fantasy and especially the LATEST.
And some people might say, 'but dude, FF6 was already over the top with fancy characters'. Yeah, that's not the problem, fancy characters are awesome, but in an RPG the CHARACTER is the most important thing. If they all dress like a boyband OR are obvisiously just there to make the perfect party of stereotypes you are in for a product made by shitty marketing. The characters are so painfully cheesy and the death of aeris is so artificial and overly dramatic, typical marketing design. The deaths in FF6 are fantastic, but they are embedded into the whole game. The death of cyans family, the death of cid leaving celes alone and the death of terras love are substancial. Aeris death is a marketing trope... the bad guys in FF7 are typical child hood bad guys... The bad guy in FF6 is genius.
>>
>>4248523
I was expecting the first post to be Final Fantasy. But not this game though.
>>
File: Chronocrossbox.jpg (116KB, 256x244px) Image search: [Google]
Chronocrossbox.jpg
116KB, 256x244px
Chrono Cross is the story of an overabundance of nothing, the epitome of quantity over quality. Over 40 characters, yet no characterization. 2 worlds (and some between-dimension stuff), yet nothing worth seeing. 12 endings, yet no satisfaction. Multiple plot viewings, yet nothing compelling. 30 - 60 hours of playing, yet nothing worth your time. It’s packed to the brim with plot details to the point that it’s almost as bafflingly convoluted as Xenosaga 3, and they all just add up to a story that does little and says even less. It’s packed to the brim with promising concepts like travel across dimensions, a future that forcibly guides its own past, and lost timelines that aren’t willing to disappear without a fight, but its pacing, general explanation style, and overcomplicated bumbling cause them all to be a confused mess of poorly assembled parts instead of a smooth narrative machine. It’s packed to the brim with party members, but can’t be bothered to give any depth or relevance to 90% of them (and the few characters the game does actually pay attention to are crappy, to boot), and just simulates individuality for them with one of the worst storytelling ideas ever conceived. It’s got all kinds of great established characters and ideas it can borrow from its widely beloved predecessor, yet everything it does to connect to Chrono Trigger seems dissatisfyingly tangential (even when those connections are an integral point of CC’s core plot!), and often it seems to just use those pre-existing concepts for the sake of destroying them (Robo was on screen for, what, 45 seconds before he was unceremoniously killed off?).

As a sequel to one of the greatest RPGs ever created, Chrono Cross is a horrible disappointment. But even on its own merit, it’s just outright awful, a rotten mess of incompetence and meaninglessness bound together by one of the most tangled and poorly executed plots I’ve encountered.
>>
>>4248804
>It's the candy crush of the ff series. A lofty nonsubstential superficial effect and non logic emotional driven worthless piece of massmarket marketing stun

I don't like FFVII all that much but that's a stupid comparison. Candy Crush is actually an occasionally devious and creative puzzler that's wrapped in a hideous wrapper. FFVII is the opposite, it's a middling game wrapped in a very bright high production wrapper.

VII does to characters well though. It's one of the first major examples of an unreliable narrator in a game. It just kinda sucks in the gameplay department.
>>
>>4248812
I like Cross a heck of a lot more than I ever did Trigger, but I'm sick of this debate. Also, not a sequel.
>>
>>4248821
What do you mean unreliable narrator?

Also the characters are awful bad and good guys. Completely unbelieveable and 2dimensional. I can't trust your argument, because I don't see how it should be valid
>>
>>4248804
>>4248821
I never was into turn-based RPGs, but this and Final Fantasy VIII put me off the whole franchise. They're both aesthetic atrocities.

The only redeeming factor was Quistis Fapbait.
>>
>>4248821
you are wrong about candy crush, candy crush is a bad luck based game.
>>
File: 118124217379.png (28KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
118124217379.png
28KB, 384x224px
>>4248519
probably just me, but I found the alpha series insanely boring. It was fun for a hour or so, but man this felt shallow.
>>
>>4248843
Alpha 3 and Alpha 2 Gold are okay, but just okay.
>>
>>4248829
Do you not know what an unreliable narrator is or not know how it relates to Cloud? I can't imagine playing the game and not seeing it. He's nuts, for the first chunk of the game you're led to believe he's an elite super soldier until you find out he's off his rocker. The characters weren't amazing, but no worse than VI and a hell of a lot better than IV and most other RPGs.

>>4248834
There's a ton of skill in there, but it does lean to heavy on RPG. It's a not a great game, but it's more of a game than VII is when you get down to mechanics and choices.
>>
>>4248843
I'm right there with you.
>>
>>4248848
>RPG
RNG I should have said.
>>
inb4 somebody reignites the eternal undying spectre of the great Wario Land debate

That or Castlevania.
>>
File: Revelations_Persona_cover.jpg (27KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
Revelations_Persona_cover.jpg
27KB, 300x299px
>>
>>4248523
VI sucks compared to V and you know it.
>>
File: Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg (54KB, 256x250px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg
54KB, 256x250px
>>4248523
>>4248804
Now now ladies, let's just get this out of the way with something most people can agree on.
>>
File: sfa2.jpg (135KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
sfa2.jpg
135KB, 640x512px
>>4248843
>>4248847
Alpha 2 is best SF.
>>
>>4248980
Still, though.

If Selphie, Quistis and Rinoa were 3D, I'd pump and dump them all like Jordan Belfort.
>>
File: image.jpg (439KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
439KB, 1920x1200px
>travelling by train everywhere is slow & dull
>everything is irritatingly train themed
>story necessarily involves unconvincingly justifying the presence of trains in the land and it's mythology
>train land has no sense of mystery at all
>non-train dungeons are fine, but no surprises
>train gimmick just feels lazy & cynical
>final boss inevitably involves some train to train combat & switch based action
>"9/10"
>>
File: dea.jpg (47KB, 680x684px) Image search: [Google]
dea.jpg
47KB, 680x684px
>>4248523
>>
>>4249225
Spirit tracks isn't retro nor bad. Travelling by train is no different than travelling by boat like in WW/PH. I think you just don't like trains.
Overall the game is average.

The truly bad game in the Zelda's franchise is Zelda's adventure.
>>
>>4248812
>>4248804
I think these are copypasted from somewhere
>>
>>4248519
At least SNK had the balls to take risks.
>>
>>4249351
Yeah, I've always been a bit salty about it because I loved the first two, but ST just felt a bit 'will this do?'. I wouldn't say it was a bad game, no, just mediocre, and definitely undeserving of the praise it received on release.

You had a certain sense of freedom, travelling by boat, as you could alter your route whenever you liked, and the over world felt genuinely free to roam (though I would agree that that's probably a false sense of freedom). On a train, you're always, literally, on rails, which for me made the experience feel very linear and managed.

Apologies for the non-retro game - just saw the 'mediocre games in a franchise' and ST's always been a sore one.
>>
File: Mmx5box.jpg (618KB, 1007x993px) Image search: [Google]
Mmx5box.jpg
618KB, 1007x993px
>>4248519
For some reason, people like this more than X6, but it's just as mediocre and lacks voice acting in the cut scenes.

I won't bother going into X7 and X8. I'd rather forget both of those.
>>
>>4250541
>lacks voice acting in the cut scenes.
That's a good thing unless you're a memer
>>
I miss when companies like SNK and Capcom were willing to take risks on even their most successful franchises. Turns out fans just want the same thing over and over again forever.
>>
>>4250556
Taking risks is one thing, but in these cases, the end product was ultimately shit. No one can tell me with a straight face that Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage was good. The game is mediocre at best and downright terrible at times. Aside from geezer Haohmaru and not Hattori Hanzo, the entire roster lacks any defining characteristics. They could be from any other weeb fighting game and I'd be none the wiser.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.