[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interesting /vr/ Bugs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

Anyone want to post some interesting /vr/ bugs in games? I recently came across the sketch bug in FFVI by accident, which made me think of missingno and other similar pointer errors. What are some interesting occurrences in games that you know of? Could be internal type bugs (Sequence skips, street fighter combos, etc) or major gamebreaking bugs (Buffer overflows, incorrect pointers, etc).
>>
I discovered the W-item trick in FF7 on accident.

I got stuck in a wall Baldurs Gate once

Just the other day my wife discovered a glitch in Culdecept for the PS2 where a shatter card would disappear if you backed out before selecting a target.
>>
>>4246420
For FF6, I ran into Psycho Cyan when I was a kid. That was crazy. Could never duplicate it until the internet became what it is.

Also found X-zone/Doom on accident as well.
>>
In Lufia II on the SNES, in the config menu, you had the option of changing from mono to stereo sound. It also had some other weird effects sometimes. It would rearrange the letters of a character's name (uGy, eSlan), and temporary characters could be killed and set to level 0. Level 0 specifically was really interesting because it maxed the character's stats and they became almost unkillable. The HP bar did not correspond to their current HP. Their exp required to level up was calculated at the end of every battle (as per normal), but it took several seconds to display because the number calculation took a lot of time. I was unable to replicate this bug in an emulation environment and it doesn't even always work on the console either. I never see anyone else report that bug, but it definitely requires hardware to happen.
>>
>>4246685
You probably had a fucked cart.
>>
>>4246687
The Mono/Stereo bugs were common in NA. But it's possible that the level 0 stuff was fucked. I was able to play through the game just fine, though.
>>
It's not a bug [more of an exploit?] but I love that the easiest method of inputting the debug/level select into sonic 3 is to input it to sonic 2 and then carefully swap the cartridges
>>
>>4246685

My bro has a glitched copy of lufia 2 where a single screen of a dungeon has its tiles all jumbled up. Bro says its been that way since the day he got it back in the 90s. THe entire cart plays normally otherwise
>>
>>4247157
That's normal for that dungeon in North American copies of the game and the Level 0 bug is well-known now. European versions of the game have fewer bugs.
>>
>>4246420
In both neighborhood carts of Metroid, you would start to get crazy glitches and lost deep in random rooms if you played with Justin bailey long enough, and you could get fucked up weapons, like a wave ice beam.
>>
>>4246420
Personally I liked the airship glitch in FF VI.
Could sequence break the shit out the game and warp from WoR to WoB due to triggering a script that you can skip... because you have the airship at the start upon first leaving Narshe (Or where ever you saved last, anyway).
You can even make a useless unequippable moogle party! because the named moogles are placeholder sprites that get filled in when you collect characters!

Seriously, read up on it. Lots of neat shit you can do.
>>
File: b5f.jpg (28KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
b5f.jpg
28KB, 500x491px
>>4247242
>>
>>4247310
I remember reading it a while back, isn't it something like you have to save just at game start, play all the way to the floating continent, do something that sets the "has airship" flag to 2 instead of 1, and then die which simply decrements the flag instead of setting it to 0? It would probably take a lot of work to get there, but certainly neat.

I think it traps you in the WoB though if I remember right because the event that takes you to the WoR already fires.
>>
>>4246430
I remember I was playing SMB3 with my cousin, we were in Bowser's Castle and I got sucked halfway into a wall and was unable to move until the timer ran out. I still don't know exactly what happened, but I'm thinking it had to do with the function that causes Mario to move backwards when he's a large version of himself in a 1 block tall area.
>>
File: Vbatcv1.gif (4KB, 480x220px) Image search: [Google]
Vbatcv1.gif
4KB, 480x220px
>>4246420

the one-hit quick kill on the first boss in Castlevania is pretty cool and something I just found out about recently. Always neat to discover something new in a game you've been playing for nearly 30 years -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgT7T7GantQ
>>
>>4249185
Do you know why it works like that? I'm assuming for some reason continues to register a hit on an enemy when the player character is struck, but I'm just guessing.
>>
>>4246685
This bug happens on emulators, too.
>>
>>4249024
15 hours tops.
It's do the sequence to get to continent. Die in first fight.
Not sure if it was an extra "airship" number or just doesn't remove it because you didn't press the button to land.
All I know is that all triggers work as normal. You can play the game through beginning to end skipping triggers.
The South Figaro Cave script (I think it was for when your party is split. Locke's section I believe.) if left untouched is a way to go from WoR to WoB again. As it something something cutscene? Then you're WoB.
>>
>>4246420
Did anyone beta test FFVI? Granted evade is just "well I just have bad luck" but you would think something like walking diagonally being comletely fucked would be noticable.
>>
>>4249324
*completely
>>
>>4246685
Ah this bring back memories. I tore lufia 2 to shreds with a action replay back in the day. Its variables are laid out really weird, I had hand written spreadsheets with all the hex codes for each character. I remember some weird shit with strength in particular, where if you cranked it past 999 for anyone you would get all kinds of random status effects and attack types, like slot machine random each attack.
>>
>>4249851
There's a weapon in the game code you can get by using the audio glitch to corrupt the memory, and when you use it in battle it plays every single attack animation in the game one after the other
>>
>>4249893
Sounds to me like the developers used it to test that stuff. Pretty neat, though
>>
GANDHI
>>
>>4246687
>>4247157

Most of the errors and bugs in the game were due to the NA translation being rushed as fuck.
The reason why certain maps are completely fucked up is because they took out/edited various assets and tilesheets due to censorship so the wrong ones got loaded.
>>
Can anyone explain the stuck in wall bug that speedrunners exploit in megaman 2? Is the game just coded to force Megaman to the nearest exit when he's in a tile with collision?

I swear I remember instantly dying when I got stuck in a disappearing block, but that might've been MM3.
>>
>>4253307
That's pretty much it. The game is programmed to eject Mega Man if he becomes embedded within a wall. Later games changed it to instantly kill him, though having invincibility frames delayed it and caused the old behavior to happen until they wore off.
I don't remember the game that change was mad in.
>>
The screen warp bug in Link's Awakening was pretty cool. On its front, it allows you to maintain your position on screen by opening the map when you transition to a new screen (Meaning instead of exiting a screen left and appearing on the right of the next screen, you exit on the left and appear on the left.). You activate it by hitting the map just as soon as you do a screen transition, which has the obvious effects of allowing you to skip certain obstacles.

Less obvious is that all dungeons are actually connected in some way. By warping to the right position in one dungeon, you can arrive at another by clipping through the wall, which has huge potential for speed running. In addition, if you enter a screen coordinate that doesn't have data, you'll be loaded into a dummy room that has a power bracelet in a chest in the top left corner. The issue happens because Link's screen coordinates are locked into place when in menus, but some effects are not, such as the area transitions.

Image too big for /vr/: https://www.goodgamery.com/pics/yarna_big.jpg
>>
>>4246420
One time while playing Secret of Evermore during the dual puppet boss fight I was mixing alchemy spells really quickly and some how I opened the save menu in the middle of battle.
I saved the game because I had never seen that happen and after it reset and would never go past the main intro.

Lucky I rented the game though so I took it back and never told anyone and made sure not to rent it again.
>>
>>4253345
This game was full of bugs, I mean, how do you forget to make bazooka ammo consumable? Infinite ammo? why the hell not?!
>>
>>4253378
Bazooka ammo was consumable, normally. It's just the bug to get infinite ammo was ridiculously simple to accidentally stumble into.

The game has some shit bugs, though. There's one that stops you from being able to progress in the game at all if you accidentally go into a wrong door.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.