[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sega channel general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1200px-Sega_Channel.svg.png (63KB, 1200x1101px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Sega_Channel.svg.png
63KB, 1200x1101px
Anybody here have sega channel back in the 90s?

>Sega Channel was an online game service developed by Sega for the Genesis video game console, serving as a content delivery system. Launching in December 1994, Sega Channel was provided to the public by TCI and Time Warner Cable through cable television services by way of coaxial cable.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel

had this for a couple years in the mid 90s. it was alright. most of the games the populated the bi-weekly lineup were bargain-bin shit that you didn't really want to play all that badly anyway. but every once in a while you could come across something killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMRLZcBiN-k

any other anons have sega channel back in the day?
>>
Never had it, but were any SEGA Channel games different from retail? I've never seen SEGA Channel versions of ROMs, but I'm assuming out of the many games on the service, at least a few would have changes.
>>
>>4245472
Ya and it was hot garbage. Had it for like 3 months and barely used it. Calling it an "online game service" is a stretch.
>>
>>4245505
They released an exclusive US version of Alien Soldier on Sega Channel and an exclusive level pack for Garfield Caught in the Act, there are probably more but these are the only ones that caught my interest.
>>
>>4245505
Fatal Labyrinth was supposed to be a Sega Channel exclusive but eventually saw release in cart format.
>>
>>4245472
I'm wondering how battery save games worked. I suppose it was saved locally on the cartridge.
>>
>>4245472
For a while over here it was one of the only ways to play Pulseman and Wily Wars, so it has that going for it.
>>
>>4245521
was the wily wars just the pal version on sega channel? There happens to be a US version of alien soldier
>>
>>4245529
I am uncertain. I THINK it was a US version, but I may be incorrect.
>>
Some of my spoiled friends had it and we played it but I never had it, didn't even have a sega or snes just a lowly gameboy pocket.
>>
>>4245472
i had it. my aunt worked at the cable company and got it for me for free (poorfag). was pretty nice. i used to beat games from blockbuster in a day or two so it was nice to get a bunch of new games every month. played the shit out of theme park on it.
>>
>>4245510
I played those special garfield levels back then. Definitely the most obscure video game experience I have under my belt.
>>
>>4245513
>Fatal Labyrinth was supposed to be a Sega Channel exclusive but eventually saw release in cart format.

Nope. It was originally a Meganet exclusive launch title in Japan in 1990, got a cart release in the west in 1991. The sega channel didnt exist until 1994.
>>
>>4245614
Thanks for the correction.
>>
>>4245510
Wily Wars was also an exclusive.

>>4245505
It always had something worth playing and it was cheaper than renting the games every week - with pros/cons on saving.
>>
>>4245509
It was like 50 games a month you could play as much as you wanted, you're retarded if you barely used it.
>>
>>4245509
it wasn't an "online game service" it was a streaming game service. It was never online.
>>
>>4245645
see
>>4245647

Explains it nicely. You never got to pick what game you wanted. You waited and hoped the game you wanted would be able for "download" soon.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.