[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arcade games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: moon-war.jpg (150KB, 850x1110px) Image search: [Google]
moon-war.jpg
150KB, 850x1110px
Any retro arcade games with some depth?

For example, something I would buy or assemble at my home, and be able to sit and play as long as I'd like

I've seen Gauntlet 64 (Legends?) arcade machines, and on those titles you explore (albeit not some sometimes it seems) and can collect some items and go to new areas
>>
>>4244835
Not interested in emulation, I would buy the board, or a board with the game on it, which might affect what choices I have
>>
Are you saying that you want something with a robust 1P campaign? If so, no, you probably won't find much. Most depth for 1P games come from extreme difficulty that requires multiple plays in order to clear what is otherwise a short game without credit feeding. Skill development and score pursuit are other aspects that add depth and replayability. The goal of arcade games is to make money, so they don't want to make long, moderately difficult games that encourage one person to play for hours at a time without putting in more money. Unless you have very high dedication to a particular game or genre, hooking up a single arcade PCB for one player play with unlimited continues in your house will probably get boring after awhile.

I'd love to be wrong and hear some exceptions, though. If you want to go the arcade route, I'd suggest having at least a handful of titles ready to swap in and out so you don't get sick of one particular game.
>>
>>4244863
It would be for a personal arcade

The game itself can be more than one player, that's fine. Yeah, think I might be looking at beat em ups
>>
File: gaiapols_konami_1990[1].jpg (418KB, 808x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gaiapols_konami_1990[1].jpg
418KB, 808x1080px
Gauntlet Legends is probably the best but there's an earlier, somewhat similar game called Gaiaopolis by Konami that I think runs on their vertical shmup hardware but is an ARPG.

Also assuming you like driving games, the Inital D series and Wangan Midnight have career modes as do some sports games like NFL Blitz.
>>
>>4244835
Fighting games are top tier so long as you have good people to play against.
>>
I believe the Tetris TGM games let you save your progress, although that's probably not the kind of game you're looking for.
>>
>>4244891
Wow, thanks -- Gaiaopolis looks really interesting
>>
File: 3287477478_2becb3512f_b[1].jpg (530KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
3287477478_2becb3512f_b[1].jpg
530KB, 1024x768px
>>4244902
No problem. Here's a picture of some Japanese people playing Half-Life 2: Survivor. Also check out this trailer for World of Three Kingdoms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFBzJtbFT8
>>
Battle Garegga apparently has a crazy scoring system
>>
File: cadash.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cadash.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
Cadash is pretty cool. Platform action RPG with some branching stages and stuff. A bit broken, but fun in co-op.
>>
>>4244958
One of my favorites. Probably could have used a save system since it takes like 90 minutes to beat even if you know what you're doing
>>
>>4244835
Capcom's DnD beat em ups have great replay value with the rpg lite elements and multiple classes.
>>
>>4244835
Dungeons & Dragons - Shadow Over Mystara
>>
Tower of Druaga
>>
>>4246203

I watched arino play that shit and I have no desire to touch it
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.