[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NEC PC-98

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0705.gif (31KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0705.gif
31KB, 640x400px
I just set up a PC-98 emulator on my wii, the only games I know are Rance and Touhou. Could you guys recommend some games for me to play. I enjoy RPGs, VNs, and I'm just getting into Shmups.
>>
>>4244434
Can you read moon?
>>
>>4244437
I'm learning
>>
Wrestle Angels
>>
File: Ranma2.png (67KB, 320x249px) Image search: [Google]
Ranma2.png
67KB, 320x249px
>>4244434
In the Anime/Manga Retro Game thread I was talking about the Ranma 1/2 point and click adventure on NEC PC 9800 and MSX PCs.

here's some gameplay. looks cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPTdL2twd7E

this footage is from the MSX version but the PC-9800 version exists as well.

http://www.anime-games.co.uk/ranmapc98.php

short review.
>>
>>4244802
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt-LRVfmrnU

game movie intro
>>
File: atragon2.png (41KB, 641x400px) Image search: [Google]
atragon2.png
41KB, 641x400px
kuru kuru party
armored flagship atragon
dennou sentai lavian three
filsnown
Ankoku Sennen Oukoku Magical Cubic
cyberblock metal orange
>>
-Dragon Knight 2 is a classic dungeon crawling eroge on the PC98. I recommend playing the PCE-CD remake for 1 but both games aren't very connected so you don't have to play them in order.
-Revival Xanadu is a remake of the legendary action RPG Xanadu with some minor changes.
-Wizardry is quite playable in the PC98 version.
-Princess Maker 2 is always good
-maybe Night Slave as a run&gun with RPG elements.

I'd recommend postponing adventures until you're more experienced in Japanese. They trow a lot of complicated stuff at you and you get little assistance on the PC98.
>>
>>4244985
I've heard of Princess Maker, I'm still in the middle of learning grammer rules and I have a few hundred kanji under my belt, would I be able to play this game with dictionary in hand or am I better off finding a fan translation?
>>
>>4244802
This looks pretty neat, I'll try it out
>>
>>4245029
There are no fan translations for PM. There's a leaked beta for a IBM-DOS release that never happened and a recent release for the Windows remake on steam.
The game should be doable in Japanese. You mainly need to understand the stats. There aren't a whole lot of dialogs and it's not tragic if you misunderstand something.
>>
>>4245036
Ok, thanks
>>
Why not try any of the fan translated games that are out there?

46 Okunen Monogatari The Shinkaron (predecessor to EVO on the SNES)
Macross Skull Leader Complete Pack (SRPG/VN)
Farland Story series (6 translated SRPGs, 1 not)
CRW Metal Jacket (Like Front Mission)
Rusty (Castlevania clone)
The Screamer (creepy dungeon crawler)

There's some more out there, but those are the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head.
>>
>>4245532
Crazy how far the fan translation scene's come. I want to see more non-PC-98 projects come into play, though I get why 98's gonna be more popular for a long while.
>>
>>4244460
Every single time
>>
>>4245834
There's a pretty dedicated group on the main PC-98 Discord server that talks about different things they're working on on a daily basis it seems. Definitely cool to see.

I'm hoping for FM Towns translations personally, but those will be a long way out since there's no emulators with proper debugging tools available last I checked.
>>
>>4245889
Unz doesn't give you the functionality to hack CD-based games as easily as you can with FDs. PC-88 and FM-7 games get the shaft because they're usually weirder or less well-known/pretty, which is a shame. X68k now has less fan translation projects for whatever reason...not like there's a lack of games on the system in full Japanese which you can't get on PC-98.
>>
>>4245532
I would but since I am in the process of learning moon, the more practice the better
>>
>>4246452
There's supposedly an active project for Zavas on the x68k. No idea if it'll ever be officially completed but the guy's working on getting the full first disk reinserted.
>>
How expensive/difficult would it be to get an actual PC-98 and games for someone living in the US?
>>
>>4246830
Why wouldn't you pirate the games?
>>
>>4246830
Much more expensive for what the system and the games are worth, i'd just emulate it
>>
>>4244820
Damn that looks cool as hell. I love PC98 threads.
>>
>>4246827
Glodia projects will be easier than most because their former programmer, Hiroyuki Kuwata, is active online and is already helping 46Okumen with Different Realm.
>>
This link should go in every PC-98 thread.

https://mega.nz/#F!jIgkXQDY!hE3FQNWl77DkzKErGdz35g

It's the Neo Kobe pack of games, which basically includes ready made floppy and hard disk images for ease of playing on practically any game that has already been dumped using a consistent file specification, as well as a few from private collectors.

It is incomplete currently, but it is only really missing a bunch of doujin games. The guy is still working on getting those added in.
>>
>>4245036
>There are no fan translations for PM.
What about the releases on Steam, or do they not have a good translation?
>>
File: H-game collection.png (172KB, 1830x887px) Image search: [Google]
H-game collection.png
172KB, 1830x887px
>>4247462
Time to clean up this mess of random naming conventions and formats.
Having extras like manuals is also a nice touch even when it's only for a few games.
>>
>>4247503
As far as I've heard, manuals are going to also be included and there are a number of preservationist type people who've been buying copies of games to scan and get them included as well. It's going to be a fucking great pack once finished.
>>
>>4244434
Brandish 1 2 and 3...VT/4 is weird and probably better avoided...get the updated versions
>>
>>4247530
I wish they'd use cbz for the scans. pdf isn't really useful for a collection of pictures.
>>
How good is the pc98 emulation on Wii

Do I need to use a USB keyboard on it like how Wii bluemsx does it
>>
>>4247769
It's super good, bra
>>
File: ap2.jpg (417KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
ap2.jpg
417KB, 1440x1920px
>>4246830
You can get a good model (A-Mate, Ce/Cs, etc.) on YJA for a few thousand yen if you're patient. Proxy and shipping fees are what will kill you. Definitely attainable, but you have to be committed if you don't live in Japan.

Fortunately for me, I do live in Japan, so I recently picked up pic related for a very reasonable price.
>>
>>4247769
Touhou doesn't work but everything else look pretty good
>>
>>4247769
I've read that you can use a Pro controller or a GC controller but i haven't tried
>>
>>4248021
The Touhou games are some of the most demanding PC-98 games, so that's no surprise. You're not going to be emulating a 66 MHz 486 on the Wii's pathetic CPU.
>>
>>4248014
Where did you find it? I live in Japan too but I haven't come across any pc-98s yet. A few overpiced MSXs though.
>>
>>4248025
Keyboard controls are typically standardized to Tenkey, Z, X, C, Space, Return, ESC. Maybe CTR or Shift as well.
Mouse controls might be more of an issue.
>>
File: Females.Sub300KB.01952.png (123KB, 520x720px) Image search: [Google]
Females.Sub300KB.01952.png
123KB, 520x720px
>>4247503
Where can I download pc98 H-Games?
>>
>>4249068
Are you trying to leave us in despair?
Try following the post.
>>
>>4248498
Yahoo Auctions are full of them. Just be patient and wait for a good model to come up for a decent price. I got my Ap2 for 3k yen, plus a bit more for a keyboard, mouse, and SD-to-IDE adapter.

There's a couple of decent-looking As models on there right now:
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k270405259
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b273376501
>>
>>4249068
See >>4247462
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.