[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is her name Birdo if she is not a bird?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (238KB, 575x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
238KB, 575x1024px
Why is her name Birdo if she is not a bird?
>>
File: it is a mystery.jpg (453KB, 1500x1571px) Image search: [Google]
it is a mystery.jpg
453KB, 1500x1571px
Why is his name Toad if he's not a toad?
>>
File: 5R3O7vK[1].jpg (14KB, 847x464px) Image search: [Google]
5R3O7vK[1].jpg
14KB, 847x464px
Why is his name Mario if he ain't even an Atario?
>>
>>4244432
She's a dinosaur, and dinosaurs are birds.
>>
>>4244432
>she

Birdo's a dude
>>
File: Ostro.jpg (98KB, 634x583px) Image search: [Google]
Ostro.jpg
98KB, 634x583px
Zer name is obviously Ostro, silly.
>>
>>4244492
So is your mom
>>
>>4244504
Why does the foreground look like it's going through a filter but not the background.
>>
>>4244492
No, she is a proud trans girl, and the girlfriend of Yoshi.
>>
File: birdo.png (408KB, 630x451px) Image search: [Google]
birdo.png
408KB, 630x451px
>>4244505
>>
>>4244602
Jap baby-boomers aren't exactly known for having progressive views on gender, who'd a thunk it?
>>
>>4244510
Probably encoding-related video artifacts induced by motion, because I simply screenshotted this off a youtube video.
>>
>>4244547
Yoshi's a girl
>>
>>4244432
Why was Mario dreaming about trannies?
>>
Was a mistranslation with localization. She is suppose to be named Bydo.
>>
>>4244602
How can anyone dispute for even a second that birdo is trans?
>>
>>4244602
that's just made up for the US (like every female-to-male boss of the olden days) because US sellers didn't want people thinking games promoted violence against women. So sorry women, you don't count as enemies.
>>
Isn't Birdo a whole species like Yoshi now, not just one person?
>>
>>4245257
>「自分をメスと思いこんで口からタマゴなどをはくヤツ。キャシーと呼ぶときげんがいい。」 ("He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called Cathy.") - Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic instruction booklet, page 35.
>>
>>4245238
Every straight man wants to fuck a tranny, even if he won't admit it.

>>4245257
You're thinking of Poison. Birdo is canon trans in Japan; that bit in the manual is directly translated from the Doki Doki Panic manual; only difference is they changed her name (from Catherine/Cathy to Birdo/Birdetta)

In BS Super Mario US they even had showgirls from a popular tranny bar do the voices of the three birdos.
>>
>>4245259
There are different colored Birdos so that's what I thought.

Plus some can speak and others make noises.
>>
>>4245274
Poison is canon trans too. Even though she was originally planned to be a biological female, the poison that made it into the game is canon trans, she is labeled as newhalf in official art. The reasoning doesn't change the end result
>>
>>4245281
Only the US version, Japanese version of Final Fight she's canon female (ADN XX)
>>
>>4245292
The japanese concept art is clearly labeled as newhalf, the japanese term for pre-op mtf transsexual.
>>
>>4244456
Toadstool

>>4245281
Birdo is more like a parody or a joke about being trans.

>>4245292
Even if it's only US, Poison is the closest thing to canon trans that I know of.
>>
>>4245296
>Birdo is more like a parody or a joke about being trans.

How? Birdo is just a straight up trans character. A male that sees themself (identifies) as a female and wants to be acknowledged as one. Birdo's portrayal at the time simply represents how trans people were seen at that point in time, they are seen as humorous curiosities. That doesn't make birdo a parody. The only thing that's changed in recent times is that a large amount of people actually accept a trans person's identity, in the late 80's in japan (and everywhere) people didn't, so they referred to birdo as a guy, whereas today that would be seen as disrespectful.
>>
>>4245275
There seems to be only one green Yoshi and only one pink Birdo though.
>>
>>4245303
Worth noting is that Nintendo is now more respectful towards Birdo's female identity (using fem pronouns, etc.) while still making occasional nods toward her transness (like a character hesitating to call her "lady" in one of the Mario & Luigi games)
>>
>>4244492
>Birdo's a dude
Triggered.
>>
File: 1000[1].jpg (40KB, 1000x564px) Image search: [Google]
1000[1].jpg
40KB, 1000x564px
>>4245303
>at that point in time, they are seen as humorous curiosities. That doesn't make birdo a parody
It's not like I have a dog in this fight, so don't mistake my precision for an agenda, but that description could apply equally well to the flamboyantly depicted "comic relief" gay characters sometimes used as a minor villain or side character (and more rarely as a frequently recurring character, pic related) in Japanese media.
I don't think we're really in disagreement about anything here--I'm just saying that "the way trans people were seen at the time" was as the butt of a joke. I can't imagine any video game from that time using the idea of being trans in any other way, but that doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be a joke.

>>4245323
I think over time there is a tendency for big brands like Nintendo to take their characters more seriously. Like this recent "news" about Nintendo declaring that Mario is "not currently a plumber." The only reason it matters is because these characters have become a deeply established part of Nintendo's very valuable brand, so while in the early days you could write a character description on a whim, today they have to consider whether they add value.
>>
>>4245331
>I'm just saying that "the way trans people were seen at the time" was as the butt of a joke
Absolutely. This is still the default view of trans people for most of the world. To me though, Birdo does not come across as exaggerating, flamboyant comic relief. She simply displays the most basic behavior that can indicate that person is trans.

I agree that Birdo is designed as a lighthearted humorous character. I disagree that Birdo is a parody of a trans person, Birdo simply IS a trans person. That's all I'm trying to say my dude
>>
>>4245340
>This is still the default view of trans people for most of the world.
I would say that on closer examination that is more of a political position than a "default view." Many cultures have a concept of "third gender" or a spiritual belief in "souls" that inhabit a foreign body. "A man in a dress" is classic Anglo humor, but it wasn't even always seen as funny, it just became that way over time as it was used as a comedic device.

>Birdo simply IS a trans person.
But why would they choose to put a trans person in the game in the first place, as opposed to just making Birdo a cis girl? My position is that they introduced the trans element specifically because it was seen as funny.
>>
>>4245351
>But why would they choose to put a trans person in the game in the first place, as opposed to just making Birdo a cis girl?

Why would you put any specific trait on any fictional character?
>>
>>4245274
>Every straight man wants to fuck a tranny

Someone should screencap this and put "/vr/ - Retro Video Games" as a subtitle. I'm too lazy.
>>
>>4245274
>Every straight man who wants to fuck a tranny isn't straight, even if he won't admit it.
FTFY
>>
>>4245428
>You guys are debating the impact of civil rights movements
I don't see that anywhere in this thread
>>
>>4245428
>implying the japs don't hate trannies and fags
>>
>>4244432
The Name is actually Socko in the Jpn version
>>
>>4245269
>Cathy

Why of all things did they change that to Birdetta?
>>
>>4244473
>doesn't want to play with Goombario
>>
>>4246318
Don't look at me, I didn't write the Super Mario Bros 2 instructions.
>>
>>4245397
>>
Can't even have a normal discussion on here anymore with these totalitarian mods.
>>
>>4246679
>normal discussion
you wish
>>
>>4245294
>The japanese concept art
That one page of Poison and Roxy's "concept art" has yet to have a date so we can determine if it's actually an original concept art, or a later work.
Apparently, the original source for that is a Super Famicom guide of Fatal Fury, which makes sense since Nishitani said they turned Poison into a newhalf after the game was released (the arcade original).
Both Nishitani and Akiman said that the original Poison is DNA XX, and that they turned her into a newhalf later, not due to artistic visions, but to evade lawsuits from the american game.
We've been through this many times in these threads. Poison is whatever you want her to be, ultimately, but the reality is that she was originally designed as a woman, taking inspiration from women fashion magazine models.
It's the literal "draw a girl, call it a boy" situation, but in this case it wasn't because they actually wanted to.
>>
>>4247235
>Fatal Fury
Derp, I obviously meant Final Fantasy.
Final Fight.
>>
File: yoshi isnt gay.png (105KB, 874x670px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi isnt gay.png
105KB, 874x670px
>>4244547
>>
>>4245443
They don't. Okama bars are popular in major cities, heck even one of the most popular TV personalities is a tranny. Also, homosexuality has been an accepted part of Japanese culture for hundreds of years.
>>
>>4247235
Poison is a newhalf. Find me a retro-era source that says she isn't.

>b-but in a 2015 interview, Akiman said--
Not retro.
>>
>>4249335
Wow, that's not just moving the goalposts, that's FedExing them to Istanbul.

Wgaf what the date is, if the creator said it he said it.
>>
My daddy always said if you can't tell the difference it doesn't matter anyway.
>>
>>4249342
Do you also think Greedo shot first?lol
>>
>>4244432
This should answer any questions you may have.

https://youtu.be/ZG7aDAPBCwY
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.