[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2D Racing Games Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 13

File: racinggames.png (285KB, 961x706px) Image search: [Google]
racinggames.png
285KB, 961x706px
What do you call these types of racing games?

I've heard them be called "lane changers" as typically you cannot turn around. The technique of having these lines drawn down the screen has a specific name but cannot remember.

Currently playing F1 on megadrive (bottom left) this actually has some effect where you can drive across the road and not just go straight down it.

Do you have a favorite or are these types of games too primitive for you to play nowadays?
>>
OH, F1 also attempts some really basic 3D stuff as well, (note the brown blob on the right of the track which is supposed to be stands for the crowds). Just adds to the games charm IMO.
>>
>>4242665
I'm also curious because I love these types of games. Also, what's the game on the top right?
>>
>>4242753
Chase H.Q by Taito. You are a cop who must ram the criminals car off the road. Considered to be a classic like Outrun.
>>
>>4242665
Funny, I was just reading this
>http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/
It explains all the common techniques used by these kinds of games including why you can never turn around or go backwards.
>>
>>4242765
>Raster lines
Brilliant, cheers for the link, will be a great read!
>>
they are called POV-beltscrollers, or as i've recently got to calling them, GNU/forward-belt-scrollers
>>
File: Lotus 3.webm (3MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Lotus 3.webm
3MB, 320x200px
there's also the Lotus series
>>
>>4243037
That fence with the two wires is a really clever way to make a convincing "wall" in this type of game. You can always have sprites alongside the track which works great for stuff like palm trees, but if you try to make a wall, instead you end up with weird looking rows of columns and shit like that (such as the rocks making up a "cliff" on the right side of your clip).
But since you can always do lines parallel to the road (by drawing them the same way the lines of the road itself are drawn), you can do stuff like that fence!
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (71KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
71KB, 960x720px
Ferrari Grand Prix on the nes is my favorite, I also like Pole Position, Race America, Top Gear and Rad Racer.
>>
>>4242665
Bottom right and top left are my fucking favorites. F1 Pole Position aint bad either
>>
Just tried Chase HQ 2 for the first time. Never played the original. Shit's fun as fuck
>>
whats the racing game for probably SNES/SMS that you could choose drivers, and the best one was an animal, he was a coyote, rabbit.. or fox, i think you could only select him with gameshark, and he might have been the mascot for the developer studio, which i remembered to be taito, but apparently it isn't chase HQ, and that was the only taito racing game from early 90s
>>
>>4242665

Top Gear series is the best. It's weird how top gear only got hugely famous in Brazil.
>>
Pitstop 2 was really fucking good.
>>
File: world rally fever.webm (3MB, 319x233px) Image search: [Google]
world rally fever.webm
3MB, 319x233px
For a Power Drift clone on DOS, World Rally Fever is really great.

>>4243245
Top Gear is a spin-off of the Lotus series >>4243037
Which was popular among Amiga users. Also got Genesis ports, but those weren't too great.
>>
>>4243245
Retarded monkey.
>>
File: titus_the_fox.jpg (20KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
titus_the_fox.jpg
20KB, 189x267px
>>4243186
Could probably be Titus the Fox from (you guessed it) Titus. Not sure of the game though.
>>
>>4243794
That looks really cool anon but this thread is strictly about "2D lane changing racers". The railings in this game are 2D but track is 3D polygons. Is World Rally Fever on GOG?
>>
File: large.jpg (40KB, 400x311px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
40KB, 400x311px
Victory Run on the pc engine was pretty comfy
>>
So is Top Gear on the SNES super hard or am I just a bad player? I couldn't get past the second country.
>>
Last time shilling this game. I truly believe this is the best 2D raster line racing game out there. The implementation of horizon-tilting really gives this game a great sense of inertia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIXHrCe6WIs
>>
>>4242665
> What do you call these types of racing games?
Sprite scalers.
> Do you have a favorite or are these types of games too primitive for you to play nowadays?
Crazy cars III/Lamborghini American challenge is really good, loved the game in the early 2000s when first played and love now. Unfortunately, the disc image for CD32 is nowhere to be found, and it seems like the best way of emulating it.
>>
File: alonso_stare.gif (1023KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
alonso_stare.gif
1023KB, 500x240px
>>4243883
>the only game with Dakar Porsche 959*
>Arcade and Amiga versions have the best graphics
>both emulate like shit
Sad!

*'cept Thrash Rally, but that was overhead
>>
>>4243925
>Unfortunately, the disc image for CD32 is nowhere to be found
(It is a request in disguise)
>>
>>4242991
What the fuck
They're just called sprite scalers
Alternatively super scalers if you don't mind inaccurate terminology that adequately conveys the meaning
>>
>>4244061
to elaborate, super scalers specifically refur to Segas Y board games (Hang on, outrun and after burner)
>>
>>4243905

I could beat the game playing with my grandma when I was 6yo. Not even kidding. You're just bad.
>>
>>4243794
The guardrail effect looks pretty bad, but the road and the structures you drive under look great.

>>4243849
Oh, so all the parts that look good are probably polygons. If they could do that many, why not just make the guardrail a textured surface instead of a bunch of scaled sprites?
They could still use sprites for the background and it would look very convincing.
>>
Hang On is the best Master System game
>>
>>4243918
That doesn't look very good for 1995. Extremely plain raster effects with a tiny number of polygons thrown in. By 1995 we had fully textured 3D racing games that looked better than that. It doesn't even look better than Virtua Racing on 32x if you ask me.

With only raster effects and 2D sprites, this is what was possible in 1995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HpfbIuIkbM
>>
>>4243925
>Sprite scalers.
Only some utilize sprite scaling, although the sprite scaling technique does work very well with the underlying road effect (which is created through the manipulation of a background image line by line--shift scanlines left or right depending on their distance from the horizon and which way the road is curving).
>>
>>4244080
This type of game existed long before scaling sprites in real time was possible. Sprite scaling just made it look better.
>>
>>4244061
No worries mate, he's just making a joke reference to the dispute over the proper genre name for beat'em ups.

Anybody who likes these kinds of racers needs to try The Great American Cross-Country Road Race. It's an Activision game where you do the whole outrun thing of driving across many stages, avoiding cars and such, but now with the added elements of it being a race across the US. You can take a number of different paths, and the roads are filled with not only traffic but also patrolling cops that will pull you over if you don't slow down, and You also have to watch your fuel and stop to gas up or else lose tons of time getting towed to the nearest station. You start in the sunny deserts of the southwest, but as the game goes on you hit less rosy weather conditions in the Midwest and northeastern states.

It's a pretty interesting take on the outrun formula that is fun to play. I only ever tried it on a compilation pack for win95, but I'm sure it plays fine on the original platform.
>>
>>4244271
There's 2 versions of this game, the version I posted is from 1993. Like I said previously, this is a thread about 2D sprite scaling raster line whatever you want to call it racing games. Virtua Racing is irrelevant to this thread.
>>
File: 1504373734984[1].gif (614KB, 500x529px) Image search: [Google]
1504373734984[1].gif
614KB, 500x529px
>>4244286
It's not irrelevant. Look at how good raster effect racing games can look.
>>
>>4244271
And in reply to the video you posted, that is a very impressive looking arcade game and would obviously blow what ever the mega drive could do out of the water. In defence of F1 on MD, cars consists of a front and rear sprite to create a great sense of depth whilst the cars in Slip Stream are just a single sprite. This game reminds me of the arcade version of Super Monaco GP.
>>
>>4244293
Again, you were talking about virtua racing, a 3D flat shaded polygon racing game. Slip Stream is relevant and I agree is a fantastic looking game, I just believe F1 on MD does things I haven't seen any raster line game do before or since.
>>
>>4244328
>F1 on MD does things I haven't seen any raster line game do before or since
Like flat shaded 3D polygons that look exactly like virtua racing except worse, hence the comparison?

>>4244314
>This game reminds me of the arcade version of Super Monaco GP.
Another super scaler sega arcade game I believe. Damn do those games have a cool look!
>>
>>4244271
That looks AMAZING on Sega Megadrive. And it is a port of 1991 computer game called Vroom. Only thing that comes close on 16-bit consoles without extra hardware is Road Rash series (not counting Kawasaki Challenge which uses the same engine)
And you can stop posting about Slip Stream 20 times a day now, I already played it this summer.
>>
>>4244331
Ok, I'm starting to see why you'd make that comparison but again, VR (specifically MD version) is fully 3D while F1 is 2D with pseudo 3D elements.
https://youtu.be/mjpID0lkgcg?t=39s
https://youtu.be/jIXHrCe6WIs?t=43s
>>
>>4244349
Or rather sequel or remake, not a port.
>>
>>4244349
Well you're right that it's not fair to compare a Genesis game to a contemporary arcade game. Road Rash looks a lot better than that totally flat-shaded F1 game though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bHl4l7utnU

>>4244351
The 3D elements don't look very "pseudo" to me, they look like simple flat polygons just like VR. And it's not like the backgrounds in Virtua Racing aren't 2D just like in a raster road game, so I think there are more similarities than you are letting on. The biggest visual difference is whether the cars are assembled from sprites or polygons. Technical differences are another story, because I think you can actually turn around and go the wrong way in Virtua Racing. Plus you can theoretically do things like having a raised section of track pass directly over another section of track at ground level (I'm not sure if this is done in VR but I'm pretty sure it is demonstrated in Stunt Race FX on SNES).
>>
Any back on topic. After reading >>4242765 link, turns out S.T.U.N Runner on Lynx is a raster line game and IMO runs better then the full 3D arcade version as the corners in the tunnels in that version have this awful jittering effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LK6R3nDM7w
>>
>>4243918
theres an amiga, pc and atari st version with each having some different graphical effects
>>
>>4244390
Oh hey that's a much better video than the one in the article where it's a barely visible recording of a physical screen. That game seems to make nice use of a very limited color palette. The dithering probably looked better on the original hardware.
>>
>>4244395
Which version is the best?
>>
>>4242665
My favorite would be super hangon on the Genesis. Only got it recently but it's relaxing AF
>>
>>4244467
Why play inferior ports of arcade games?
>>
>>4244420
not sure about the St and Amiga versions but the PC version is very colourful but is lacking the horizon tilting effect.
>>
>>4244483
Amiga or Genesis must be the best then. Gradients look like shit anyway.
>>
>>4244507
Ah wait, only tilting from left to right is missing, it's a useless gimmick anyway.
After I looked at it the DOS version looks great actually.
>>
>>4243918
woah this game. iirc you can do a jump over if you bump the edge of your front tires to their back tires. dunno if it's supposed to do that or it was a stupid hack on my copy.
>>
>>4244539
tfw codemasters F1 games missing this mechanic.
>>
>>4242991
>interjection intensifies
its like i'm actually on >>>/g/
>>
File: mechanical games are tech.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mechanical games are tech.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>4245801
videogames are technology
btw, thanks for the idea, all sorts of consemur shit is discussed on /g/ that have no place there, i might as well go start a /mechanical games general/, and racing games might just be a good first topic
>>
>>4243925
>Sprite scalers.
The only sprite scaler racers I know are Power Drift and Vertexer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4FuowTv6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-lVyYtkgRY
>>
>>4246849
Holy shit that Vertrex game looks fucking amazing
>>
>>4246837
Do it pussy you wont.
I'll definitely go call you a fag. Dont think its a great idea at all.
>>
File: 7140367463_c05c1f058a_o.jpg (59KB, 527x412px) Image search: [Google]
7140367463_c05c1f058a_o.jpg
59KB, 527x412px
>>4244467
>Genesis
Say what?
>>
>>4246849
Sheeeit man, thanks for Vertexer!
>>
File: Rad Racer.webm (3MB, 283x250px) Image search: [Google]
Rad Racer.webm
3MB, 283x250px
Rad Racer is so smooth. Smoother than SMS OutRun. Even smoother than OutRun arcade.
>>
>>4250329
Nasir Gebelli was a godly tier programmer.
>>
>>4250329
>Rad Racer
dude so bad lmao
>>
Super Monaco GP is and will always be the greatest retro racing game ever to me.

It brings me back to the long gone days of joy i had with my genesis/mega drive many years ago. The RPG aspect of it, where you can challenge other drivers or be challenged yourself and depending on whether you win these challenges be offered to race for new teams or lose your seat blew my mind back then.
>>
>>4243847
thanks, i mixed up taito and titus
its Lamborghini American challenge from TITUS

its a full speed, easy turns, game same as outrun, lotus, top gears, and other of the era..
Lamborghini American challenge borrows some things from outrin and there are some new cool mechanics but i dont remember much, players 1 and 2 could play different tracks

>>4243925
>Lamborghini American challenge
>cant find CD32
apparently its on DOS too, so check that one out
>>
>>4243905
are you new to early racing games?

in most cited games here, including topgear, you usually drive at full speed, theres no tire and asphalt physics that you might be familiar with in need for speed on playstation and earlier, you just let go of the pedal for 1/4 of a second on the harder turns... specially if its the white car on topgear1.
>>
>>4244281
>The Great American Cross-Country Road Race
sounds like >>4251625
>>Lamborghini American challenge

>>4244281
>a joke reference to the dispute over the proper genre name for beat'em ups.
+a joke about the dispute over Linux OS name, specifically about an episode on radio where a speaker says "I'd just like to interject for a moment..." and rambles too long about why he thinks the Linux (the OS) should be called GNU/Linux, just because "gnu utils" are essential in it and has a huge code size, but doesn't change the fact that there were other essential elements to the OS and that even GNU wans't able to produce the kernel, so therefore the OS is correctly named after the kernel, and only after the kernel.
>>
Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV1q7kseZQs
>>
>>
>>4251658
remember renting this one and wondering why there are so many deer in baja california
>>
>>4251658
Yep we can talk super off road. Funny how snes devs used rafters when mode 7 was arguably the better option
>>
>>4244281
I love that concept.
There's Race America on NES, but it sucks.
There's Burning Rubber for Amiga, it sucks too.
>>
>>4252165
Rafters? Looks like proper planes at different angles to me. I wonder how they did that. Sprite scaling hardware? Mode 7 can only do one plane.
>>
Top gear 2 snes is the best imo.
It's just too bad all the cars look the same
>>
>>4244384
>road rash looks better
mate, Road Rash's framerate is just barely decent half the time, unlike all of the Domark engine racing games (many of which include a turbo mode that adjusts the FOV to improve it even further than the fairly tolerable default)
and it's not like both engines aren't slinging scaled sprites around all the time, the Domark one is also doing polygons too

as for the comparision with VR -- VR on Genesis uses a chip that drove the game's cost up to $100.
all of the Domark games run unexpanded
>>
>>4252573
too lazy to check, but you could totally do the Super Off Road effect with Mode 7, which isn't a 3D plane at all -- the 3D effect is done by adjusting it on a per-raster level (which is why you can't rotate the plane around the Z axis in 3D).
Here, you'd just adjust the scale to match up with curves of the hills (which is also why it doesn't rotate at all, the hills have to be aligned along the X axis, being raster effects).

afaik, mode 7 without raster manipulation is just plain 2D scaling and rotation
>>
>>4252573
I think he meant "raster" as in raster effects.
Although that game does look almost like textured planes intersecting in 3D, I think in this case the same effect could be achieved with the same 2D raster techniques used by all the other games ITT. Notice how the hills are always exactly perpendicular to the horizon, i.e. the elevation only changes along the axis "pointing into" the screen and never along the axis parallel to the horizon. The crests of the hills are always exactly parallel to the horizon, even when turning, because the game is using a forced perspective to make them look 3D. That's why the car itself appears to rotate as opposed to the terrain rotating around the car.
Within those constraints, you can make textured-looking hills like that just by scaling the raster image of the ground per scanline.
>>
FMV racer on the SNES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcCp3eEYZHc
>>
>>4253032
Looks surprisingly good for SNES even with the abysmal framerate, but what do you mean by FMV? Are you telling me that the track graphics are actually an FMV with the car sprite drawn on top? How was that FMV stored without a CD drive?
>>
>>4253032
Looks pretty cool. I wonder how well it plays though.
>>
>>4253032
3D racer on the NES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB_z_Dhq-uc
>>
>>4253242
Yeesh, someone should've told these developers "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Looks like more of a tech demo than an actual game. It's a convincing 3D effect but it looks incredibly boring as a game.
>>
>>4253042
its uses the same 1 second video for each corner
>>
>>4253042
It's clearly not raster lines, mode7 or polygons. It's just rapidly changing backgrounds. Could even be done on the GBC.
https://youtu.be/ttYkFk2TSYE?t=1m23s
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.