[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to stop being shit at JRPGs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: OgreBattle.jpg (95KB, 618x430px) Image search: [Google]
OgreBattle.jpg
95KB, 618x430px
Just starting to get into the genre with pic related but my recruits seem to retreat more than the French. How can I get better?
>>
>>4240121
Maybe try some other games and come back to this one. I'm pretty sure it's made for nerds who already played PnP RPGs.

Try like, Final Fantasy 2 or 3. Maybe try Phantasy Star 2 or 4. Try Chrono Trigger. Try one of those Breath of Fire games.
>>
I gave up this game after realizing your ALI decreases with fighting and I didnt want to raise infantries to conquer cities.
>>
you were unlucky and picked one that isn't that easy
Ogre Battle 64 is much easier
also consider trying a regular jrpg like chrono trigger of FFVII
>>
I would hardly consider Ogre Battle to be a "JRPG" as far as game mechanics go. It's a super complex strategy game, and figuring out how everything works on your own is going to take a lot of trial an error, scribbling down random bits of information, and some decent deductive skills. Or you could just read an FAQ.

>>4240150
>I gave up this game after realizing your ALI decreases with fighting
It also increases with fighting.
>>
basically turtle at your main base until the enemies are weakened. they will come for you.

basically send whatever party you want to fight first a pixel closer to the enemy on the edge of town.

when you've killed a few off, send a scout to make sure there aren't many more.

be aware of your alignment when capturing towns/fighting bosses/or fighting enemies. it matters to get you a better ending.

desu this is NOT the best rpg to play if you're trying to play some simple shit.

should play chrono, final fantasy 2, Mario rpg suikoden, lunar etc etc
>>
>>4240180
I just wanted to jump into the genre and this game interested me with the Queen reference. Thinking about jumping in when i have more experience with the genre

Might try those other games
>>
>>4240121
You could have started out with an action RPG like Chrono Trigger or FF6 because tactical RPGs have a much higher learning curve.
>>
>>4240180
Super Mario RPG has a lot of jokes that are basically made for people who've already played half a dozen Mario games and half a dozen RPGs

playing it as your first RPG kind of ruins it
>>
File: 10055_back[1].jpg (90KB, 640x568px) Image search: [Google]
10055_back[1].jpg
90KB, 640x568px
>>4240189
yeah the creator has a thing for queen
>>
>>4240189
the thing is...I love the fuck out of this game. but it's not for everyone...and it's got a steeper learning curve than many jrpgs. also most other decent rpgs will have a more engrossing story/characters.

a few off the top of my head (there are plenty more great ones...but a few I think are simple AND fun...

snes try:
chrono trigger
final fantasy 2 or 3 (3 is better but 2 is simpler)

genesis:
phantasy star 4
shining force 2

ps1
suikoden 1 or 2
grandia 1
final fantasy 9 (I prefer 7 but 9 is simpler)
Lunar silver star story complete

n64: you're fucked

Saturn:
albert odyssey
shining in the holy ark

ps2: dragon quest 8, final fantasy 10, suikoden 5
>>
>>4240212
>n64: you're fucked
there's paper mario
>>
>>4240212
Definitely seems like I'll start with Chrono Trigger or maybe even Suikoden II cause that also had my interest. Thanks anon
>>
>>4240226
suikoden 2 emulates 100% perfect in epsxe.
chrono is fine in any snes emulator

>>4240218
oh yeah! that's a great game too. I beat it for the first time two years ago. lots of fun. I've yet to play any other paper Mario...but I do have the .iso for the gamecube game.
>>
>>4240121
Ogre Battle isn't a very good beginner's game. Look elsewhere.
>>
>>4240121
>my recruits seem to retreat more than the French

Careful with that meme son, it's so old it might crumble to dust.
>>
File: react.jpg (16KB, 320x249px) Image search: [Google]
react.jpg
16KB, 320x249px
>>4240367
>>
>>4240121
Experiment with different unit formations and find what works for you. Do the bulk of your fighting at cities where your units will heal quickly. Pay attention to what terrain types each unit is good at moving through and fighting in. Never depend on a single unit to hold an important choke-point.

Ogre Battle isn't a simple game, but it's also pretty easy unless you are going for one of the better endings (though obviously nearly any game can be hard when you're just breaking into the genre and have no idea what you are doing.)
>>
>>4240143
>made for nerds who already played PnP RPGs
what? are you saying that there's PnP RPGs of OgreBattle? Or that PnP RPGS are complicated?
>>
>>4240573
I'm fairly certain he meant the latter.
I'd fucking kill for a tabletop Ogre Battle though.
>>
>>4240143
>>4240584
>I'm fairly certain he meant the latter.
proper PnP RPGs that aren't early 2000's cancer are actually intuitive to play, though. As an eurofag who's never dealt with 00's 3.5eD&D stigma I am still surprised when people think tabletops are some rocket science. It's meant to be played with a bunch of dice, it's not gonna require a goddamned spreadsheet (except the 3.PF edition which really has fucked up the RPG image for people), and the games are not any more complicated than learning average JRPG's mechanics and meta anyway.
Yes I mad.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.