[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As good as it gets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: mario64.png (527KB, 641x480px) Image search: [Google]
mario64.png
527KB, 641x480px
Once you've played Mario 64 can you really go back?
This is the pinnacle of Mario games
>>
>>4237562
I never played it on the N64. Really liked the DS version though, except using a D-pad really sucks.
>>
>>4237562
I know this is /vr/ but unlike Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 has not aged well at all.

It was huge for the 3D platformer sub-genre which is ultimately on life-support now but honestly, nearly every single game that released after it has surpassed it in nearly every single aspect.
Games like Mario Galaxy fixed the mediocre camera, streamlined the platforming, fixed the momentum-based movement.
Games like Rayman 2 were more inventive and did the same.
Banjo Kazooie had better variety in level design.
Unlike games like Ocarina of Time and Doom which still have their solid mechanics and inspired art direction, Mario 64 has nothing.
>>
>>4237781
>aged
>>
Played this again 2 months ago, had passed like 10 years since last time. Still 10/10 and I enjoyed it even more because I'm now a better player, I had fun getting 120 stars for the first time ever
>>
>>4237781
Galaxy is cool and all but you can't do the same amount of crazy jumps and tricks like you can in 64 or even Sunshine. It feels almost 2.5D at points due to how streamlined and linear it is.
>>
>>4237562
I prefer Super Mario Sunshine

>dem secrets
>>
>>4237886
Not him, but most 2D platformers were like that. It's an objectively better translation of the original mechanics and a more enjoyable experience for the people that grew up with and got used to pre N64 Mario. I really like M64 too but it really is its own genre, doesn't feel like SMB3 or SMW at all.
>>
>>4237662
Use a 3ds
>>
>>4237662
You're missing out, i had it on DS first also (playstation kid) and the n64 version is so much better
>>4237781
No way dude, you can do so much crazy jumps on mario 64. Really fun to just try shit and see what you can do
>>
>>4237781
It's aged better than probably any other 3D game from it's generation. The controls are spot on, the simplistic art style doesn't demand much from the hardware to look nice, the music surpasses the soundtrack of previous title's easily imo, and the difficulty curve is perfectly comfortable. The only fault it had was the camera at times fucking up but that's still an issue with many games today and it was head and shoulders above non-fixed cameras in other game of that generation.
>>4237916
The controls are a fair bit better on the 64 (I was surprised at how well the touch screen worked for certain segments in the DS version though), but the DS version has it's own advantages like a plethora of mini games appropriate for portability and a half decent vs multiplayer mode that requires one copy of the game.
>>
Banjo Kazooie is dog shit compared to SM64
>>
>>4237915
helps a bit but the real problem is the lack of analog input, playing DS games with the circle pad won't fix that
>>
>>4237940
hahahaha no.
>>
>>4237957
I guess you just enjoy being wrong.
>>
>>4237940
How? In what ways? Articulate.
This isn't /v/
We have higher standards on /vr/
You can't shitpost without reasoning
>>
>>4237940
No one even mentioned bk
>>
>>4237781
>aged
Kill yourself
>>
>>4237957
This. >>4237940 is a faggot and his mommy never bought him BK so he's jealous. BK is far superior, however SM64 is still a great game.
>>
okay im gonna say it

I think mario games are overrated
that being said thats just my opinion who am I to tell you what to play
>>
>>4237781
(You)
>>
>>4237562
Go to Bob-Omb Battlefield, talk to Koopa the Quick and race him, run away from the Green Mushroom while collecting all eight red coins, defeat Koopa the Quick after collecting all eight red coins, and get the star for the eight red coins.
>>
Mario 64 is the best because it has the tightest and most fluid control in the series. it rewards re-re-re-re play in a way BK (or even OOT honestly) never could
>>
>>4238223
see
>>4237781
>>
>>4238528
The controls are awesome. Almost no games made since have so many movement speeds. It still impresses me that if you just barely touch the stick you'll tip toe slowly, whereas most 3d games just have 2 or 3 movement speeds and aren't nearly as sensitive. On the other hand the camera sucks ass

Galaxy 2 is peak 3d marry-oh
>>
>>4237781
>OoT
>aged well
Not in the slightest. After ALBW and BotW the last thing anyone will want to go back to is that handholding mess.
>>
>>4237562
Actually playing it
> On mah DS
>>
>>4238608
>ALBW
>Not handholding
>Has an item whose specific purpose is to give you tips at your current location
>>
>>4237562
Played it at the time, thought it was an interesting tech demo.
Galaxy is the superior game though.
>>
File: 567.png (119KB, 660x1759px) Image search: [Google]
567.png
119KB, 660x1759px
>>4241495
Galaxy fits well on the Wii. M64 fits well on the N64.
Those are great games carved for their respective supports.
Of course Galaxy is prettier, but they are equal in fun and interest.
>>
>>4241495
Dank meme bro, upvote for ya
>>
I haven't played many 3d platforming games since the N64 since it was the last console I owned before switching to PC, but every time I fire up the game I'm still impressed by the movement in that game and I don't think any game really has had that variety and and responsiveness of movement. First of you got a very good range of movement speed depending on how hard you push the analogue stick, from slow sneaking to full sprint. Mario can jump, he can combo jump ( 3 jumps and a flip (which makes you fly with the hat) you can crouch, you can crawl, you can jump stomp, you can 180 jump flip, you can crouch jump leap, you can crouch jump back flip, you can hang from ledges you can hang and climb along netting, you can punch and kick, you can swim and dive and fly, you can climb trees and poles, you can handstand on top of them and do a flip jump off of them, you can wall jump Jesus you can slide down hills, you can jump into a belly slide. It's endless variety in movement.
>>
Sunshine was the better game despite all the fucking padding. Moving mario around is just a lot more fun.
>>
>>4238431
BK is superior, but it needed SM64 to exist before it. It's like a midget standing on top of a giant.
>>
>>4241762
I never could get into sunshine, the art direction is just abysmal as is character design, I mean wtf are those blob people, feels completely out of place from a Mario game, the whole intro to the game just felt off putting and was tonally miles away from Super Mario 64.
>>
>>4237781
>I know this is /vr/ but unlike Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 has not aged well at all.
That's actually the opposite. OoT is the one that hasn't aged well compared to Mario.
Mario 64 still plays extremely well, better than modern counterparts even. OoT lacks some of the modern improvements on movement and controls, but is still a slow and tedious game filled with poor writing, fetch quests, etc... Though the problem is for every improvement on those things in any Zelda made they've also made the dungeon or game design terrible to match, maintaining that Zelda after OoT has basically ended up being as bad or worse for all it's potential to be so much better.
>>
File: file.png (191KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
191KB, 400x400px
>>4237940
I don't know about that one, Scoob
>>
>>4237781

Lots of better 3D platformers have come out since SM64, but none of them are Mario games. Sunshine had that tropical island motif which severely limited the world design, and Galaxy is linear as heck
>>
I value 3d Marios for the great platforming in them. I value Rare collectathons for the best settings and character, as well as decent gameplay.
Mario>Rare, but both are still really high tier
>>
>>4241512
Eh, galaxy was shit really. worse controls and gamplay, terrible camera, worse hub mechanism.
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 550x366px
>>4237892
>Sunshine is close to becoming /vr/
>>
>>4237892
Me too. You're right those secret levels with the blocks floating in the open white space were the best. There was so much ahit to do in that game, the controls were super tight and you have a yoshi that vomits juice.
>>
>>4244798
it already is you baby
>>
>>4244798
>>4245125
It's going back in time to 1999 as time goes on?
>>
>>4237562
I like 3D Land a bit more
>>
All 3d platformers are boring as hell. I'm 29 and have felt this way since forever, despite repeatedly giving new critically-acclaimed ones a chance as they came out. The only one I ever enjoyed was Crash Bandicoot 2
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.