[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragon Quest/Warrior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 24

File: 170725155008101.jpg (96KB, 609x1118px) Image search: [Google]
170725155008101.jpg
96KB, 609x1118px
For the first three games I should go with the GBC ports, right?
>>
Wrong
>>
>>4236943
No, SNES.
>>
Go with the Super Famicom remakes.
>>
>>4236943
GBC is alright. It has more content than the snes. I would choose the snes version only if i cared that much about the graphics.
>>
Fuck remakes, play the NES versions, they are already updated ports of the japanese releases. How much coddling do you need?
>>
File: bgb00112.png (4KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
bgb00112.png
4KB, 160x144px
>>4237051
You should ask yourself if the extra content is worthwhile.
GBC has other limitations such as the controls. The low resolution also reduces the viewing distance and readability.
>>
The SFC versions have better graphics (and maybe sound, I don't have as strong an opinion about that though), and at least for 3 the extra content can be a pretty extreme departure from the original. It's not so much an "improved remake" as it is an easy-mode bonus for fans of the original, and I don't think you can appreciate it as much without having played the NES/Famicom version first.

I don't remember if the 1/2 ports have the same "easy-mode" ethos to them that 3 does, though. When I played them it felt like the XP curve was softened, but my memories of 1/2 are far less vivid than they are of 3, so it could have just been my imagination.
>>
>>4237070
There's big differences between the original Famicom versions and the American NES releases.
For 3 for instance you get like 50% more XP than you do on the FC or SFC.
>>
>>4237075
It's 25%. I doubt this would make it easier than the SFC version however, those give you more gold, stat seeds and are generally casualized.
>>
>>4237068
>GBC has other limitations such as the controls
How are they different?
>>
>>4237123
You have less buttons for shortcuts obviously.
>>
>>4237118
Plus all the free equipment from medal collecting and pachisi, new weapons that hit multiple enemies, stat-manipulating using personalities, Goof-offs/Jesters actually gaining MP so they don't suck when you Sage them (if you're that sort of person, anyway), and the bag for carrying more items.
>>
Want an old-school grindfest RPG? NES- Not for everyone but you'll get the retro graphics and difficulty of old RPGs

Want a pretty and improved version? Get the SNES Remakes

Want a version that feels like the NES but with updated retro graphics, and improvements from the SNES version? Get the GBC one.

I'm fond of the GBC versions, the originals are too archaic and the GBC ones still feel "8 bit" and have improvements over the SNES versions that make it hard for me to play the SNES one.

So it's really up to your own likes, sure the two remakes make the game easier but they're still more challenging than your average RPG and I just don't have time to play the original and go through menus just to open a chest.
>>
>>4236943
I don't think there's a definite answer. The NES versions are still great, and as noted, more challenging than the ports. The ports have nice fixes besides graphical/audio overhauls, like not needing the Stair command, but nothing I would consider essentially better.

Play the NES versions for starters, and if you find it frustrating, switch to a port.
>>
>>4237065
What do you mean by coddling? The games are very simple on the NES, you only need to grind more on them compared to the SNES remakes.

The originals don't have any challenging mechanics that the remakes lack, in fact I believe they made certain enemies stronger. Don't mistake the need to grind 5x more with complexity or difficulty.
>>
>>4237225
>muh grinding
1 is a grinding game, 2 only gets so when you reach Rhone, and 3 is superbly balanced. This is a severely overblown argument for Dragon Quest. The limited mount of items you can carry and the lack of mana potions in general is a much greater source of difficulty in the series.
>>
>>4237280
Oh yeah, the remakes also include auto-aiming so you don't need to put any thought into spreading your attacks. This is a pretty major concern in 3.
>>
>>4237284
Couldn't you deactivate that shit?
>>
1&2 Snes and 3 on Gbc because content>graphics
>>
File: DBkqBSMUIAAapJ3.jpg (343KB, 846x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DBkqBSMUIAAapJ3.jpg
343KB, 846x1200px
>>4237127
Are you a dummy?
You only need two buttons in Dragon Quest, one to bring the menu and other to every thing else, something that the GBC remakes have.

For the best Dragon Quest I and II experience just play the Super Famicom versions, for III play the GBC remakes, the sound and graphics are obviously worst but the extra content is pretty good.
>>
>>4236943
For 1 and 2 the SNES remakes are obviously the way to go.
For 3 while I think the SNES remake is the most enjoyable way to play it a case for the GBC one can be made as it has slightly more content (one extra dungeon?).

That said there are no wrong ways to go around playing these games and even the NES versions hold up pretty well but obviously don't have any of the extra content that the remakes do.
>>
>>4237431
And the extra buttons allow you to avoid going through the menus for context dependent actions or the map.
>>
Play them on Famicom / NES like the rest of us did. Why deprive yourself of the original experience? If you like these games, there's no reason why you can't play the ports and remakes as well. Hell, I even decided to play them on MSX.

I'm not trying to look back with rose-tinted glasses, but as far as DQ games go, I believe the originals to be a largely a better experience. I think later ports were outsourced to TOSE, and they frankly shoehorn too much unwelcome content into third-party games they're put in charge of.
>>
>>4237756
What are you talking about?
In the Gbc version select brings the map and the a button talks and checks automatically,Or you are referring to the nes version?

either way I see playing snes version first as a mistake since you would see nes and gbc as downgrade if you decide to play them next.

Also nobody mentioned the android version which is like the Sfc version but with better audio,no animations and different translation,example "Macho" personality becomes "Idealist", sounds fun for a replay but you have to pay money for a sfc game you can emulate,unless you download it from the Chinese app market
>>
>>4237825
I'm assuming he wants to play in Japanese so different translations shouldn't matter.
>>
>>4237825
Is the 3DS version of DQ3 the same as the one on Android? I only tried 3DS and it was horrendous compared to SFC.
>>
>>4236943
dragon quest is so comfy
>>
>>4238016
Never played the 3ds version so I don't know but the android version it's just a port of the Sfc version with better audio and no monster animations, I expect the 3ds version to have animations and orchestrated music but still a port too.

Also has anyone played the ps4 version or hasn't been released yet? Even through it's probably a port too
>>
What approximate reading level is the Japanese in the Famicom versions of Dragon Quest?
>>
File: Dragon Quest (Japan)_056.png (8KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest (Japan)_056.png
8KB, 256x240px
>>4239068
Like most Famicom games it has no kanji due to technical restrictions so it's a pain to read.
The SFC has simple kanji that makes it a lot more useful for beginning readers.
The text complexity is relatively low. You mainly have to learn some feudal vocabulary.
>>
>>4239080
Sounds like it'll be just difficult enough to be fun
thanks
>>
>>4236943
I personally really liked the GBC versions, but many on /vr/ don't for some reason.
>>
File: DQIGroupArt.png (2MB, 986x1443px) Image search: [Google]
DQIGroupArt.png
2MB, 986x1443px
I'm having a lot of fun with the first game right now.
I've never seriously played an RPG before, so this is all quite new and fresh to me.

What's the point of the journal/log system though?
It seems to do nothing but over-complicate things, in an otherwise a very streamlined game.
>>
>>4236943
I greatly enjoyed the GBC DW1, but never got to finish it because my phone died. I'll have to start again with an actual cart on my GBC instead of emulation.
>>
File: DQI_creds.png (187KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DQI_creds.png
187KB, 1920x1080px
I finished the SFC remake of DQI about an hour ago, so I can probably offer my opinion. I've also played a few hours of the NES version but only about 10 minutes of the GBC one.

Pros of the SFC version include reduced grinding (though you will still have to grind) and updated visuals/sound. Regarding the latter though, it is a *VERY* vanilla update. It feels very much like an early SFC game, almost low budget in a way. The music doesn't have the charm of the original NES sound or the technical brilliance of the GBC version (the Tantegel/Radatome Castle theme is so haunting on the GBC, its great). The graphics are fine and clean, but it wouldn't be wrong to describe them as "plain". It's clear there was less effort/experience involved with this remake than say, the DQIII SFC remake (which I haven't played, but the art is fantastic just looking at screenshots).

You can't really go wrong with any version honestly. I think if you want an official English copy then go with GBC purely for the improved translation. Yes, it has shorter names for things due to text limitations but it's nice not having that unfaithful "ye olde" style to it. Same goes for the SFC version which has an excellent fan translation. The NES version is obviously a classic in its own right however, so if you want to go full retro with it then there you go.

I will say I enjoyed playing through the SFC version, and I'm not entirely sure how I would've faired with the NES version if it had *significantly* more grinding. I can't really compare the two as I never got all that far in the NES one and this is my first DQ game that I've actually beaten anyway.
>>
>>4239612
>What's the point of the journal/log system though?
What does it do, just note down the plot points you come across? If it's the the one in FF6, it's just basically there in case you go a couple weeks without touching the game and forget exactly what you did and where you were going when you pick it back up. It's not something you're meant to reference during normal play.
>>
>>4240007
I don't think that's what >>4239612 means, as there's no such system in DQI.

I think they're referring to the save system where you have to travel all the way back to the first castle in order to save.
>>
>>4240034
Ooh, that makes sense.
Yeah, I thought he was playing some kind of new Android remake or something. I'm dumb.

But yeah, that's just a common thing in games from that era. It's also important to remember that the games used passwords to save, so having the game remember exactly which tile you're standing on when saving would've required an even longer password.
>>
>>4240037
Yeah, I suppose it makes a lot more sense when you consider the Famicom version, not the NES one.

Was this changed in DQII or did we not get more save points until later in the series?
>>
>>4240040
DQ1 and 2 both used passwords, and the ones in 2 were obnoxiously long. 3 was the first with a battery save.
>>
>>4240045
Ah, I meant more did II have multiple save points or do you still have to return to a single location?
>>
I'm trying to decide the best version of DQIII to play. I've finished the SFC version of I and am going to play the remake of II on the same console.

I'm not particularly bothered by graphics/sound as I like the NES/GB aesthetic, however I'm worried I might enjoy 3/4 less as I've played the streamlined versions of the first games on SFC. With that in mind, would it be better for me to play the original, or one of the remakes?
>>
>>4240061
I play the nes version of 3 since I own it and I like to abuse the parry glitch. But none of the versions are awful. If you have full blown autism the gbc port is the only one with a monster medal system, and getting them all unlocks a super short bonus dungeon.
>>
>>4240068
Thanks for your thoughts.

Considering I plan on playing the series in order, and have some issues with the translations of IV for example, I'm thinking I might play through the remaining games in their original forms. This is good for me for a few reasons - I like seeing the progression of games through time, and I'm studying Japanese so perhaps by the time I reach IV I can just play the original version instead of the weird translation.

So I guess I'll stick with NES for III and IV. Not sure about V actually as the translation seems toned down compared to IV and the PS2 version seems interesting, but we'll see.
>>
>>4240101
>and I'm studying Japanese so perhaps by the time I reach IV I can just play the original version instead of the weird translation.
Don't wait so long and just do it. That's how I did it and I'm quite happy with that.
At first it may be very slow compared to playing with a translation but you get faster as you get used to things.
I would recommend playing the SFC versions since you want to train your kanji and FC games are useless for that. You can still see the growth of the series in the remakes.
>>
>>4240250
Perhaps. I'm reading through Genki right now but I'm pretty slow at picking stuff up + it's not very helpful at getting you used to Kanji.

I think once I've found a consistent way to memorise Kanji and vocab and get a bit further into the book then I'll probably start on some easy games/manga.
>>
>>4240278
>I think once I've found a consistent way to memorise Kanji and vocab
Anki. Normally I'd recommend the Core2k but you may fare better with a Genki deck.
https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/genki
The important part is to have a format to which you can add your own cards.
>>
>>4239612
Why did you decide to start playing rpgs with DQ1?
>>
>>4240282
Thanks. I was using this set of four Genki decks on Memrise (one for Genki vocab, grammar, kanji meanings and kanji grammar) however I don't know how much I'm really learning + memrise's format sucks (it's not very structured, reminders for reviews don't seem to work and it's not really structured like a typical SRS program, it just lets you review whatever you want whenever you want).

I am considering moving towards Anki though. I understand it's usually recommended to learn Kanji meanings + radicals to an extent as it helps in recognising symbols + determining meaning from unknowns. I'll need to work out a good way to do that also.
>>
>>4240286
You can see the radicals for yourself.
Spending time on learning meanings and readings for kanji instead of the words they are used in isn't necessary in my opinion.
>>
>>4240301
I guess it's one of those things that just depends on your learning style. I'm still fairly new to this so I haven't pinned down what the easiest way for me to learn kanji is yet.
>>
>>4240318
The idea is that for kanji that only appear in a handful of words you can deduce everything just from the vocabulary and the ones in many are bound to have exceptions that you'll have to learn anyway.
>>
>>4240351
So would you recommend learning the more common kanji seperately and then just get to reading?
>>
>>4240359
Learn the common vocabulary with reading and meaning. You learn the kanji as a side effect.
After you have the basics down you can learn grammar and after that start reading.
>>
>>4240364
Does that really work though? To me that sounds almost like learning English words before you know the alphabet. It sounds too forced.
>>
>>4240058
You had a couple different spots you could save at. There were about 10 of them spread throughout the game, and most of them were in cities.
>>
>>4240365
It's more like learning English words before learning how to spell them, which is what all native speakers do. It's why they make weird errors like "could of" that ESLs never do.
>>
>>4240365
Japanese isn't the same as English.
You are not learning vocabulary before you learn kanji, you learn both of them at the same time.
It's not realistic or useful to learn all the kanji before encountering them in the wild.
>>
>>4239080
>no wildly inconsistent Chinese runes found in the script
>"pain to read"

I think kanji abolitionists would argue something to the opposite effect.
>>
>>4240516
Japanese is too degenerated to properly work without kanji. Those 50 syllables lead to a ton of homophones that can't be deduced on context alone.
The ones crying for abolishing them are foreigners afraid of learning them. If the Japanese wanted to abandon something it's their whole language.
Spacing is also an issue in these games since they don't clearly separate each word and particle.
>>
>>4240471
I see ESLs do that shit all the time now that they're learning English by interacting with native speakers on the internet.

But anyway I can't imagine playing weird shit like fantasy RPGs without knowing kanji/having a pretty diverse vocabulary. The words that show up in these games are just outside of what you'd know from normal Japanese discourse. Good luck anyone who thinks that "all kana" is the same thing as simple.
>>
>>4240593
Depends on the game. I played Zelda 2 in Japanese back when I had a really shitty vocab and knew like maybe 100 kanji and had absolutely no problems due to the script being so ridiculously simplistic.
>>
>>4240557
>Japanese is too degenerated to properly work without kanji.
Half the vocabulary consists of loanwords anymore. I don't think additional context is needed unless for some reason you decide to cram a paragraph full of dozens of instances of "shi" to represent completely different concepts.

>Those 50 syllables lead to a ton of homophones that can't be deduced on context alone.
Yes it can. Young school children don't learn kanji that early. They have to rely on all-kana text exclusively until kanji becomes a regular part of their curriculum. Out of consideration for younger audiences, some video games do allow players to render text without kanji. There's also the frequent usage of furigana as a learning aid.

>Spacing is also an issue in these games since they don't clearly separate each word and particle.
Spacing tends to get used two ways: With kanji, spaces might appear between entire clauses or sentences as a full-stop. Without kanji, it just divides words and particles into grouped blocks based on their relation to one another. It's not uncommon for two nouns linked by a particle to be treated as a single non-spaced unit.

Are you seriously having difficulty understanding such word blocks as watashinogeemu?
>>
>>4240836
>Yes it can. Young school children don't learn kanji that early. They have to rely on all-kana text exclusively until kanji becomes a regular part of their curriculum. Out of consideration for younger audiences, some video games do allow players to render text without kanji. There's also the frequent usage of furigana as a learning aid.

There's also the fact that you can't exactly speak kanji. If homophones couldn't be deduced from context, Japanese people wouldn't be able to talk to each other.
>>
>>4240836
The 教育漢字 are divided by grades for a reason. Just because an 8 year old has to do without most of them doesn't mean an adult should.
Furigana are completely different from kana only.
It's not that kana only games are impossible but they are ugly and harder to read than proper text. The worst are the ones that only use one of the scripts, especially in half width.
>Half the vocabulary consists of loanwords anymore.
Chinese loanwords that hardly make sense without kanji.

>>4240845
They can't. Japanese is fucked up.
>>
>>4240284
You don't think it's a good starting point?
It's pretty much as basic as an RPG can get.
>>
>>4241890
It's a perfectly fine starting point. If anything it suffers from being TOO simplistic with the entire single-character-party thing.
>>
>>4241890
A better starting point was 2 or probably 3. The inventory limitation, having only one char, shadows in dungeons, the directionless world. You might like that, anyway is not really representative of the whole genre.
>>
>>4242056
Does the first game have to be representative of the whole genre?
>>
>>4242056
>directionless world
>literally nudges you in the right direction by placing initially fuckhard random encounters in the accessible area you're not supposed to go to yet
>>
>>4242056
> directionless world
> every town has multiple NPCs who practically spell out where you need to go

Also what >>4242625 said. It's the sort of game that plays best with a physical notepad in front of you so you can write down what NPCs tell you.
>>
>>4242058
If you have to decide whether you want to spend more time playing rpgs or not, yes.
>>4242625
>>4243963
You probably will feel then like you are on rails in later installments.
>>
>>4243972
DQ2 is a LOT less linear and a lot more directionless than DQ1
>>
>>4243963
I kinda wish I still had all the notes and physically drawn maps I made when I originally played through DQ2. It's one of the most fun RPG experiences I've had.
>>
>>4243972
DQ1 was literally the single one game that created the most RPG fans. It's pretty okay as a place to start. It's like saying SMB1 isn't a good introduction to platformers.
>>
>>4244019
DQ3 is the Super Mario Bros of the RPGs, DQ1 was the Donkey Kong.
>>
>>4244050
DQ3 is hardly as influential as the original.

And it would be wrong to say DQ = Donkey Kong and FF = SMB. That's just sacrilege.
>>
>>4244416
>DQ3 is hardly as influential
It is the most popular, though. Fair enough.
>>
>>4244019
By that argument, everybody should enjoy Wizardry nowdays.
>>
>>4244436
Who doesn't enjoy Wizardry?
The question is whether you should start with Wizardry and I believe nobody recommends that.
>>
>>4237127
fewer
>>
>>4244449
Wizardry was primarily aimed at DnD veterans, not people that had never touched RPGs in any way, shape or form before.
>>
>>4236943
not really but it helps if you don't dig the ye olde englishe translation and general excessive grindiness of the NES versions or the generic looking sprites of the SNES version of I-II (III felt like a major step up for the SNES version). it's all up to personal preferences either way
>>
>>4244739
You seem to share my opinions on all versions of DQI (regarding the olde translation, grinding, and visuals of each version).

What versions of the other games have you played/which do you prefer?
>>
Did the series go downhill after Chunsoft stopped being lead developer?
>>
>>4244964
Some people say 8 is the best ever and that's level-5
>>
>>4244845
I've yet to start on II but so far I, III, the DS versions of IV-VI (though i have played the SNES version of V), VII both versions, VIII also both versions and IX.

a lot of people complain about the translations of the DS versions for IV-VI but it's a matter of taste and readability. NES IV still had the ye olde englishe translation before Enix in the US stopped releasing it for a while.

V is what you'll expect when you play the SNES version of I-II but the content is remarkably better. The DS version of V has more content and a new potential wife to choose with some changes in the script so it's far less railroady in that case. There is a PS2 version of V with fully orchestrated soundtrack and full 3D graphics just without most of the content changes introduced in the DS versions. VI is what you'll expect with the SNES version of III which is excellent. But both have no official translation for SNES, so you need the patches versions to play in english or just go with the japanese version. The DS version is what you'll expect from the past 2 games on the DS except with far better sprite animation and toned down accents in the translation.

I do prefer VII for the PS1 rather than the 3DS. not to say the 3DS version is bad, it's a good update. but the translation in the PS1 version was a little bit better, the sprite animations in battle felt more memorable and i actually liked the ruin puzzles which is cut from the 3DS version. however the PS1 version had butt-ugly 3D for 2001, severe pacing issues and BGM soundtrack where both are fixed and included in the 3DS version (although the latter was in the japanese version rather than the US version)
>>
>>4245570
contd.

VIII is great on both versions but presentation-wise, the PS2 version is better with less jaggies, beautiful menu and cel-shaded graphics, a fully orchestrated soundtrack and no censorship changes like in the 3DS. however, the 3DS introduced a lot of quality of life fixes like discoverable monstes rather than random encounters, alchemy pot fixing up recipies in an instant with error preventions, some balancing fixes etc. along with extra content like two new playable characters, a better monster team management and post-game stuff. however the censorship and full orchestrated soundtrack are still in the gamefiles and needed just a patch to unlock all of them, thus, with this patch makes the game even more desirable than the PS2 version
>>
>>4244964
as far as I know, the series just got better with each new release. and to be fair, Horii's Armor Project group are the ones who designed the games and got the developers to handle their designs
>>
>>4245570
>>4245590
Thanks for your opinions. The only thing putting me off the DS version of IV is the lack of party chat. How much do you feel its absence detracts from the game?

I'm likely to finish II and III on SFC then, IV - VI on DS and I guess VII and VIII on 3DS with patches. At least I get a pretty consistent experience if I play it that way.

Also it doesn't look too difficult to mod party chat back into IV anyway. The Japanese version has an unfinished English localisation bundled, but it also has accessible party chat options. The DS and Android (the Android port *does* have party chat) versions both use the same files internally, so it could end up just a matter of transferring the English translation from that to a Japanese copy of the DS version and playing it that way.
>>
>>4246374
Party chat is essential. It adds character for the party members and can help figuring out what to do next.
>>
>>4246383
I'll keep messing with the files then. At worst I'll ascend into the nippon language.
>>
>>4244964

The series went downhill after the original trilogy. And the writing for DQ3 just feels like a really bad excuse plot with shoehorned connections to the other two games.

DQ4 was plagued by bizarre design choices. The class system was effectively done away with in favor of recruiting NPCs who are locked into a specific class. Hell, you don't even get to control the NPCs - their actions are driven by forced AI instead. The game world doesn't even open up until you've completed every other chapter. Each chapter gives you control of one of the non-hero characters and forces you along a rail until you reach your objective and advance to the next chapter. I really wanted to quit shortly after Ragnar's story.

DQ5 was a goddamn waifu simulator. Like DQ4, you're not really "playing" the game for the first major stretch of the story. I'm not sure why these guys keep coming up with these wedged-in narratives, but they're incredibly tedious and detract too much from the gameplay for me. Also, DQ5 had a lot of potential with its dating sim elements, but the system is unfortunately so boggled down by plot dictates that it never realizes any of its vast potential..
>>
What is the best way to play DQIV in English? Is it mobile? I hate the portrait layout + touch controls sadly.
>>
>>4246519
>What is the best way to play DQIV in English?
You don't.
>>
>>4246448
>Also, DQ5 had a lot of potential with its dating sim elements, but the system is unfortunately so boggled down by plot dictates that it never realizes any of its vast potential..

Granted it's been a while since I played V but what dating sim elements are you talking about? As I recall you simply make one choice at a point in the game whether you want to marry the girl in the mansion or the girl who is your childhood friend, and that's the extent of "dating" that happens in the game (unless you count your childhood adventures). Calling the game a waifu simulator is a massive oversimplification of the plot, it's more of a life simulator.
>>
>>4246536
>but what dating sim elements are you talking about?

The ones that aren't there, which is kind of the point. And that's only a shallow point. There's too much wasted potential all around.
>>
>>4246519
Nes
>>
>>4244964
They are all supervised by Horii, Chunsoft only program them.
>>4246448
I don't want to sound cliche but, are you retarded or just a /v/ cross boarder?
>>
>>4237051
>>4237065
For dragon quest 1 and 2 NES gives it that kind of classic ultima feel.
3 Doesn't work well on NES, GBC is the best for the retro look

That being said. SNES version of Dragon quest 1 has the comfiest fucking color pallet.
If it's snowing out, start a fireplace fire and get some cocoa and put it on.
>>
>>4246448
>actually dissing III and V
opinion discarded
>>
File: 15145_front.jpg (21KB, 307x300px) Image search: [Google]
15145_front.jpg
21KB, 307x300px
>>4246519
most would argue NES but if you know how to read Japanese, the Playstation version
>>
>>4246861
I'm not a big fan of SFC DQI visually, but the colour palette in that setting makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>4236943
I have two questions;
1) Considering SNES versions only, what's better out of III & V?
I know V is often recommended as an entry point, but it's usually the DS/PS2 version

2) What's better out of V (DS version) & VIII (3DS version) for a first timer?
>>
If you hate grinding, then go ahead and play the SFC versions instead.
>>
>>4247302
>>
How many hours into VI before it gets good? I'm like six hours in and nothing has really felt engaging.

It's especially frustrating because V had a strong direction and identity from the start.
>>
>>4236943
Yes. Don't forget 1 & 2 work on an original GB as well if you want monochrome for some reason.
>>
File: 8B75C0FB4.png (940KB, 712x900px) Image search: [Google]
8B75C0FB4.png
940KB, 712x900px
>>4247302
>1) Considering SNES versions only, what's better out of III & V?
>I know V is often recommended as an entry point, but it's usually the DS/PS2 version
V nothing, you are better playing the PS2 remake or the DS one, since those lets you have up to four party members instead of just three not to mention the extra content like the Pachisi boards and the museum, the DS version is the same as the PS2 version except for the obvious differences, it also adds a new wife to you to marry.
III in the other hand is really up to you, the SF version has great graphics and music but it lacks a super hard to beat dungeon that the GBC version has where you need to get all three (Gold, Silver and Bronze) medal from each monster in the game just to enter the dungeon.
>2) What's better out of V (DS version) & VIII (3DS version) for a first timer?
V just added a new wife so you are better playing the PS2 version as for VIII all the new extra content and the fact that you can marry Jessica now makes it not superior to the PS2 version but a must play.
>>
>>4247768
It can take a while. That's the major reason I dropped it right about where you are.
>>
>>4247302
DQV was the first DQ made for the Super Famicom. The remake of DQIII was the last one made for the system. And by comparing the two games, you can absolutely tell what a huge difference the years of experience working on the console makes. V is very simple looking and rudimentary, III is a beautiful game that takes full advantage of everything the system was capable of.
>>
>>4247953
not to mention the fact that V was made by different developers than VI and III Remake
>>
File: despair.png (209KB, 517x453px) Image search: [Google]
despair.png
209KB, 517x453px
>>4247931
> you need to get all three (Gold, Silver and Bronze) medal from each monster in the game just to enter the dungeon.
>>
Post your:
>Favourite game
>Favourite character/s
>Favourite final boss/es
>Favourite OST
>Favourite monster/s
>>
File: messala.png (275KB, 391x307px) Image search: [Google]
messala.png
275KB, 391x307px
>>4249715
>>Favourite game
>>Favourite character/s
Tabitha
>>Favourite final boss/es
Zoma
>>Favourite OST
>>Favourite monster/s
pic
>>
File: GolemArt.png (582KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
GolemArt.png
582KB, 800x800px
>>4249715
>>Favourite game
V and III
>>Favourite character/s
Gabo and your daughter from V.
>>Favourite final boss/es
Corvus and Psaro.
>>Favourite OST
II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3NxqzDibc0
>>Favourite monster/s
Pic related is useful as fuck in V and in VIII Mazin helped me win the Monster Tournament against Morrie.
>>
>>4249813
>>4249838
Do you two advocate playing the orignal DQ3 or the SFC remake?
>>
File: 1473375479737.png (25KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
1473375479737.png
25KB, 256x224px
>>4250221
SFC
>>
File: Hacksaurus.jpg (59KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hacksaurus.jpg
59KB, 600x600px
>>4249715
>Favourite Game
a tie between III and V. Maybe III a slight with advantage over the SFC version and general nostalgia

>Favourite Character
Yangus, no contest

>Favourite bosses
Zoma

>Favourite OST
II had the best overworld theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jnAZSbmeuU&t=56s

>Favourite Monster
Lizzie a cute
>>
>>4246519
If you want to play the DS version play mobile. It's the same but with party chat brought back that shouldn't have been nixed in the first place.

Did anyone ever hack that back into the DS version? There's bigger projects going on for the game.
>>
>>4250221
I prefer the GBC because the extra content but wont blame you for picking the SFC version since all of the GBC new content is hard as fuck to obtain.
>>
>>4249715
>>Favorite game
>>Favorite character/s
Torneko and Yangus
>>Favorite final boss/es
Dragonlord, the others were mostly too silly
>>Favorite OST
>>Favorite monster/s
Mimics/cannibox though they're my favorite fantasy creature regardless of setting.
>>
>>4236943

Has anyone here played the roguelike featuring kid Yangus? It's Japan-only but I figure since it's a roguelike it mustn't be too hard to figure out. It looks super cool, I wish it had been localized.
>>
If an anon reading this loves DQ and knows some asm. There's a roadblock stopping progress on a few games.
>>
>>4250273
It was found that it would take far more work than initially thought and the project was basically just dropped.
Basically, everyone thought you'd just have to insert the script into the English version and you'd be good, bar a few bugs that may pop up.
It turned out the Japanese version would have had to be used, which would have required making all the changes made for the English version again, plus the Mobile version turned out to be formatted differently to the DS version, so reformatting all the extra script would need to be done.
And that's probably on top of other things I'm forgetting.
>>
File: yangus.png (18KB, 125x270px) Image search: [Google]
yangus.png
18KB, 125x270px
>>4250573
Puberty was not kind to him. but he grew a nose at least!
>>
>>4251319
That's according to the GBAtemp thread. I have a feeling that it would be possible to modify the US version to allow for party chat. It seems like the sort of thing that would still be in the code, just disabled.
>>
Should I skip DQ2? I've heard mixed things about it.

If I do play it, is the NES version overly grindy or shall I stick with the SFC ver.?
>>
>>4252204
Just try it, gbc I'd recommend

It's more similar to the first and third game in gameplay design than the rest, so I enjoyed it despite the flaws
>>
>>4252204
It's good.
It's DQ1 but bigger in every way.
More cryptic too.
>>
>>4252207
>>4252208
Thanks, I'll give it a go then.

DQ is one of the only series where every version/remake of an entry has merit to it, so no idea which version I'll end up playing. Probably just stick with SFC for consistency with DQI.
>>
Thanks to this thread I ended up starting another playthrough of DQ3. Managed to find an animal suit for my Goof-off before I picked up the flashy clothes or had enough money for a second cloak of evasion. I love when I actually have a reason to equip it other than smiling at turning a character sprite into a cat.
>>
>>4252245
Talking about sprites, it seems that there's a extra Maribel sprite in VII where she changes into a camisole, it costs around 500.000 Casino coins or around 10.000.000 Gold coins, the deal is that the casino is in the emigrant town so to obtain it you will have to grand like a madman.
>>
>>4252314
>grand
*grind
>>
>>4252314
It's also a reward from the superboss in the remake.
>>
Reminder that the GBC versions of I + II have the best soundtrack

https://youtu.be/1_fdpmtGJSM
>>
>>4253976
the SFC soundtrack is all weird, some titles are absolutely amazing like All Hope is Lost..., Dark Dungeon ~ Floor 3 and Friendship, others sound very silly like the battle themes of both games. The GBC soundtrack seems more rounded in that regard.
>>
>>4254069
I think the GBC probably wins out overall in terms of presentation. The soundtrack is really well arranged and plays to the systems strengths, and the graphics are updated from the NES original while still having a retro charm to them.

My problem with the SFC version is that while it's *technically* an improvement over the FC/NES versions, it's just very bland. It doesn't have particularly impressive sprites or music for the system. It works well as a 1:1 port with slightly updated visuals and sound compared to the original, but I'd argue the GBC version is the more interesting due to the unique sound of the music and the actual effort put into the sprites and world.

I recently played through DQI on SFC, and I will be playing DQII on GBC to compare how they two feel. These are just my thoughts so far.
>>
>>4247931
>You can marry Jessica
I'd rather get the fortune teller NPC I developed an irrational attachment for.
>>
File: DQVII3DS_-_Kiefer.png (110KB, 229x358px) Image search: [Google]
DQVII3DS_-_Kiefer.png
110KB, 229x358px
>>4249715
>Favourite game
V and VIII
>Favourite character/s
Angelo and Madason
>Favourite Final boss/es
Nimzo
>Favourite OST
V
>Favourite Monster/s
Great Sabrecat and Metal King Slime

Currently going through VII, it's kind of jarring how episodic it feels but I'm actually getting quite into it with these little stories about each of the islands
>>
>>4255102
I found Mildrath/Nimzo oddly forgettable. To me it felt like Gema/Ladja was the real final boss of 5, he put up a more difficult fight too. The final boss music was nothing special either.
>>
>>4256834
It's honestly one of my favourites of the final boss themes, I felt it sounded intimidating, Ladja was nothing compared to Nimzo's toughness in his second form either, I could take on Ladja relatively fine while Nimzo screwed me over quickly almost every time.
>>
>>4236943
>tfw the NES Dragon Quest is dirt cheap but the NES DQ III and III are the opposite of cheap
>>
>>4257275
$50 isn't terrible. And it was a late release in the US. Plus the og dragon quest was included in a issue of nintendo power.
>>
What is Dragon Quest's designated meme girl?
>>
>>4257247
Nimzo was oneshot for me since it was possible to just keep switching out party members and healing them inside the wagon with a sage stone.
>>
>>4238074
the 3DS version is the same as the Android one, no animations
it sucks
>>
File: 1266379646155.jpg (131KB, 654x636px) Image search: [Google]
1266379646155.jpg
131KB, 654x636px
>>4257456
>>
>>4257247
Nimzo's second form theme had one of the best openings in any DQ boss fights though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEzloARI6wk

>>4257247
you can still just take the grey golem in your party and let him solo the entire fight rather than having everybody killed
>>
>>4257607
I thought it'd be Maribel or something.

What was that I heard about one of them being associated with fart fetishes?
>>
>>4236943
People will flog me for this but I've played the GBC versions and iOS versions and I can say that I much prefer the iOS remakes. They just feel like they were meant for the platform given how simple they are.
>>
I just finished DQ1 GB on the Super Game Boy. I'm gonna wait to get a Game Boy Player to play II though, the palette they use for the SGB version is ass, but the borders are nice, basically if you're gonna play the GB versions make sure you're playing them in color.
>>
Is there certain order to get into DQ series? I was thininking of doing DQ3 mainly because of bianca.
And since I'll be using a PSP should I go with the SNES, GBA or PSX cersion?
>>
>>4260448
You seem very confused.
Bianca is in DQ5.
The GBA has no DQ games aside from Caravan Heart. DS has DQ4-6.
PS1 has DQ4 and DQ7. DQ5 is on PS2.
SNES has DQ1-3, 5 and 6.
>>
>>4260457
I see, well I guess I'll be playing DQ3,DQ5,DQ6 on SNES though they don't seem visually appealing.
How's the story? your opinion on the DQ series?
I guess it was meant to be played on DS.
>>
>>4260502
SFC DQ5 isn't that good looking, but the other two are the best looking versions available.
>>
>>4260502
>I guess it was meant to be played on DS.
Pretty much this, IMO it were away to boost DS sells and fill its game library.
>>
>>4260502
DQ3 is one of the best looking games on the SNES
>>
>>4236943
DQ is over hyped JRPG.
>>
>>4260787
>DQ manga
>Not drawn by Toriyama
What's even the point?
>>
File: 1493921917586.jpg (32KB, 166x240px) Image search: [Google]
1493921917586.jpg
32KB, 166x240px
>>4250270
Kind of off topic but the little soft bit at ~1:55 sounds like it's quoting a piece by Tsintsadze

>https://youtu.be/5jnAZSbmeuU?t=1m55s
>https://youtu.be/G80IGGqW72I?t=1m54s
>>
File: 1454287724709.jpg (157KB, 632x758px) Image search: [Google]
1454287724709.jpg
157KB, 632x758px
>>4255102
WHY HE GOTTA LEAVE ME LIKE THAT
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.