[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the PC Engine an overrated console ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (57KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
57KB, 640x360px
Is the PC Engine an overrated console ?
>>
>>4236051
>20 minutes and no answer
Underated you mean.
>>
>>4236086
nah, the pce did quite well. the tg16 on the other hand...
>>
Everything is overrated shit.
>>
PC- Engine had no original titles that could compete with the best of the SNES/SFC or SG/MD.

It was mostly a dumping ground for late 80s and very early 90s arcade titles.

It had some good original games, but arguably very few great ones. Soldier Blade is one of the few that comes to mind, maybe also Bomberman 94 (which is graphically impressive for the PC- Engine). Some might also say Bonk's Revenge is also great.
>>
>>4236190
BUT DUDE I LOVE AIR ZONK.
Yeah, I know what you mean.
>>
File: Image_Fight2_04.png (20KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Image_Fight2_04.png
20KB, 256x224px
>>4236051
It is the ultimate console if you like classic shmups.
>>
File: medium_4_screenshot.png (439KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
medium_4_screenshot.png
439KB, 640x480px
>>4236051
Its biggest call to fame was an overrated Castlevania spin off.
>>
>>4236207
Rondo of Blood is great though. It can definitely compare to the other 16-bit Castlevania titles.

I think this topic is only talking about the original Turbografx/PC- Engine though.
>>
>>4236203
But that's not the saturn
>>
>>4236213
I'd consider Saturn "modern" enough, most 32 bit shmups already only gave you a 2 pixel square for a hitbox.
>>
>>4236051
It's not a true 16-bit. It uses 2 8-bit. Turbo-Grafx 2x8
>>
>>4236207
What makes it a spinoff and not just another sequel?
>>
>>4236186
On /vr/. Yes.

Also, MUH BUZZWORDS!
>>
>>4236051
The PC what? What's that?
>>
>>4236341
It's so mediocre, it doesn't deserve to be a sequel.
>>
>>4236190
>what is Rondo/Lords of Thunder?
>>
>>4236691
I am talking about the original system, not the cd add on.
>>
>>4236341
>What makes it a spinoff and not just another sequel?

It's called "Dracula X, it's a side story by a b-team on a non-nintendo console. The main Castlevania games were nintendo based. " The sequel is even more of a side story, so much that the main team was putting together Castlevania 64 which was the next mainline title.
>>
Another Hu- Card original game that might be considered great is Parasol Stars.

Its really surprising how the PC- Engine did a lot better than the Mega Drive in Japan but its library was a lot worse.
>>
>>4237013
it was not that much better
>>
>>4236347
overrated, unironically, objectively
>>
>>4237013
Spotted the sports game fanboi
>>
>>4236836
It's called X because it's the tenth sequel in the series. So Konami considered it a proper sequel to Castlevania.
>>
>>4237304
sports games?
MD is widely considered to be one of the best classic gaming consoles, and not because sports games
>>
>>4236180
People would have had to actually buy it for it to be overrated.
Is OP a retard?
>>
File: IMG_1020.jpg (97KB, 1072x712px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1020.jpg
97KB, 1072x712px
>>4236190
Roughly this. Still, as a collectable, it's the most fun system! So many system combinations.
>>
>>4236051
No. The PC Engine has very many quality games.
>>
>>4236207
>overrated

Worthless opinion
>>
>>4237575
Just because it was unpopular at the time doesn't mean it can't have gained popularity amongst hipsters and the like.
>>
I still break out my TG-16 from time to time. The Hu-card format is one of my faves of all times, those things are damn near indestructible. Fave games are

Blazing Lazers
Alien Crush
Devils Crush
Bloody Wolf
Cadash
Bonk 1 and 2
Splatter House
also have a soft spot for Neutopia 1+2 even though its clearly a Zelda clone (the fire wand was awesome)
>>
>>4237304
I am just yalking about Japanese output.

-Sonic series (1, 2, 3, Knuckles)
-Ristar
- Streets of Rage trilogy
- Monster World III and IV
- Phantasy Star IV
- Shining Force I and II
- Contra Hard Corps
- Castlevania Bloodlines
- Shinobi III
- Gunstar Heroes

compared to

Soldier Blade
Bomberman 94
Bonk's Revenge
Parasol Stars

The PC- Engine was a port machine mostly. Its telling that more people remember its CD add on titles (Rondo of Blood, Gates/Lords of Thunder, Ys Book I & II) than any single piece of software on the normal PC-Engine.

Unless I am forgetting an original game on the Turbografx that is usually regarded as exceptional.
>>
>>4236207
You mean the best Casltevania

>>4236190
>had no original titles that could compete with the best of the SNES/SFC or SG/MD

Any top tier shmup on the PCE is as good as the best games on SNES and Mega Drive.
>>
>>4237725
Last Alert is better than Contra HC,Bloody Wolf is on the same level
Best Castlevania game is on PCE
YS II and IV are better than Phantasy Star
The shmup library is objectively better than the MD's one
PCE also had the best Monster World game,Dynastic Hero

>The PC- Engine was a port machine mostly

You say that but its funny how MD got gimped down versions of PCE games (Lords of Thunder and Devil's Crush)
>>
The PC Engine had a fairly solid library, but not enough games overall. It's something I occasionally emulate, but as for owning real hardware? Doesn't seem worth the investment. Especially with prices here in the U.S.
>>
>>4237769
>PCE also had the best Monster World game,Dynastic Hero
NECbeards confirmed for shite taste. Dragon's Trap is a much better MW game.
>>
>>4237769
I was talking about the standard consoles alone, not the CD add- on (of which we would need to include the Sega/Mega CD as well).

Also, Dynastic Hero was a port of Monster World III (Wonder Boy in Monster World) with different sprites and soundtrack.
>>
>>4237570
>Sonic series (1, 2, 3, Knuckles)
Garbage.

>Ristar
Could've been good if not for the forced excessive use of the spinning mechanic.

>Streets of Rage trilogy
Parts 1 and 2 are classics. 3 killed the franchise.

>Monster World III and IV
Only good for beating once.

>Phantasy Star IV
Never played it.

>Shining Force I and II
Garbage.

>Contra Hard Corps
Excellent.

>Castlevania Bloodlines
Mediocre.

>Shinobi III
Revenge is one of the best 16bit games of all time. Part 3 is slightly above average.

>Gunstar Heroes
Excellent.

You forgot:
>Honoo no Toukyuuji Dodge Danpei
>Alien Soldier
>Rocket Knight Adventures
>Dynamite Headdy
>NHLPA 93
>John Madden: Ambulance Edition
and many more.

>Soldier Blade
Pretty decent.

>Bomberman 94
Best Bomberman game ever made.

>Bonk's Revenge
Average.

>Parasol Stars
Excellent.

You forgot:
>Final Match Tennis
>Gekisha Boy
>Rondo of Blood

You probably noticed I'm not naming SHMUPs. I'm not a fan of SHMUPs besides the original R-Type, R-Type Delta, and Gradius Gaiden.
>>
>>4237959
Again with someone naming Rondo of Blood. Its a Turbo CD title.

If we are naming Turbo CD titles I would add these titles as greats:

Ys Book I & II (arguably the first game to truly show the potential of the CD format for gaming. It was extremely impressive for 1990).

Star Parodier (it is a shame this never left Japan, as this game is the Super Mario RPG of the shmup genre. An easy accessible fun colorful game for beginners to the genre and enjoyable for veterans, if put on the highest difficulty).
>>
>>4237725
It's convenient for Sega fanbois to ignore the CD add on that did nothing for the Mega Drive library but a lot for the PCE library and in some cases wasn't an add on for the PCE.
>>
>>4238268
I am not a Sega fanboy. I really enjoy the Mega Drive though.
>>
>>4237959
>Calling the Sonic games "garbage".
>Never played Phantasy Star IV
>Calling Shining Force garbage.
Filthy casual confirmed.
>>
>>4237671
Hipsters don't play video games. They're too busy being gay.
>>
>>4238296
No they collect them to show off to all their other beardo faggot friends.
>>
>>4238305
Nah. They're more likely to show off their PC's, since the PC Master Race are a bunch of fat bearded faggots.
>>
File: Fcarz8a.jpg (604KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Fcarz8a.jpg
604KB, 1280x960px
>>
>>4237928
Why would i ever judge the console without the addon? I wouldn't do it just like i wouldn't judge the MD without the Sega CD addon.
>>
>>4238324
That is surprisingly accurate as far as Japanese fanboys go.

PC- Engine fanboy is an otaku obsessed with waifus.

Mega Drive fanboy is a Westaboo.
>>
>>4238324
I thought of this picture when the Game Sack episode showed that Ghosts & Goblins-esque game with the girl's clothes coming off as you get hit
>>
>>4237725
It's confusing because unlike other systems the PCE is so heavily associated with its CD addon that people just call both hucards and CD games "PCE games."
Like someone will say "I bought a box of PC Engine" games and it's full of nothing but CD games but if someone said "I bought a box of Genesis games" and it was all Sega CD games that would sound strange.
>>
>>4237725
I basically agree. HuCard was about arcade ports, while CD gave rise to some neat original stuff like Tengai Makyou series and Tokimeki Memorial

At the time it was great to have a cheap option for much better arcade ports than the Famicom, for people who didn't want to drop the cash on an X68K. But HuCards don't shine so much these days.
>>
>>4238345
I already listed strong Turbo CD titles (with reasoning).

I thought the topic was exclusively talking about the Hu- Card format console.

However, even coupling both consoles together I still think its the weakest overall between the three main consoles of its generation. The last big efforts made for the Hucard were in 1993 (Bomberman 94 being the last major release), and even the CD was abandoned for major efforts in 1995 (with Sapphire being the swansong). The Mega Drive lasted until the end of 1996 (getting stuff like Sonic 3D Blast, the demake of Virtua Fighter 2, and Vectorman 2 that year).

The Super Famicom was supported by Nintendo until 2000.
>>
File: USy3JcJ.jpg (76KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
USy3JcJ.jpg
76KB, 480x640px
>>4238335

And the SNES being the normalfag console.
>>
>>4238428
That is about right in Japan.

I remember reading 2ch a decade ago and there was a shitflinging topic between PC- Engine and Mega Drive fans, and some PC- Engine fan posted a ascii art of what the average mega drive fan looked like. It was some obese nerd in his underwear.
>>
Nah, it's pretty underrated, the only people who say it's overrated are just people who are just asspained about the price of the games and system
>>
>>4238278
I enjoy it as well but I don't use sega fanboi arguments to justify that. I justify it with the many good games it has. Also because it was hands down the easiest console ever to pirate for.
>>
>>4238305
>>4238305
As a bearded faggot I resent that. I play my games and none of my friends have beards.
You just want to imagine a boogie man.
>>
>>4236836
It's a better continuation of the gameplay style of Castlevania 1&2 than IV is. They are both good games but Rondo is certainly more faithful to its roots.
>>
>>4236051
I like the card based cartridge design.
>>
>>4238476
This pretty much, especially if you consider TG16/PCE/CD all one library, it's fucking stellar.
>>
My favorite game on PCE is probably Samurai Ghost or whatever it was called. I already forgot the japanese title.
>>
What are the best game to play on this console?
The best Hu card ones and the best CD ones
>>
>>4243574
Genpei Tomaden
>>
>>4243784
correct! that was it. thanks.
I wish somebody would translate the NES title as well. it's like a board game/RPG. looks interesting too.
>>
>>4243578
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/turbografx-16/the-best-undiscovered-turbografx-16-games
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/turbografx-16/the-games-that-defined-the-turbografx-16
>>
>>4243578
HuCard
>Soldier Blade
>Parasol Stars
>Bonk 1, 2
>Gunhed
>Wonder Boy III Dragon Trap
>Super Dodgeball
>Liquid Kids
>Salamander
>Galaga 88
>Bomberman 93, 94

CD
>Rainbow Islands
>Castlevania
>Gate of Thunder
>Ys IV
>Lord of Thunder
>River City Ransom
>Legend of Xanadu I, II
>Blood Gear
>>
>>4236051
I fucking hate GameSuck
>>
>>4236051
Soldier blade is a cool shmup
>>
>>4245198
Cucksack is shit, I agree. Does /vr/ have a list of approved shows?
>>
>>4245185
Is this turbo only?
Does it include japan only stuff?
>>
>>4245657
develop your own taste
>>
>>4245818
A few of those were also released for America.
>>
>>4246062
I thought that maybe there were some good jap games you missed, but to be honest that is a short list of good games
>>
Is OP an overrated faggot?
>>
>>4246071
It could've been a longer list but I didn't want to get all anal and put a bazillion shooters on it
>>
>>4245875
I wanna know so I can find something new to watch, not so I can blindly follow /vr/'s consensus.
>>
>>4247793
Check out Sega Lord X, and Retro Game On.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.