[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

memories of being poor walking the toy/game aisle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: R-1354479-1346387027-4774.jpeg.jpg (129KB, 598x598px) Image search: [Google]
R-1354479-1346387027-4774.jpeg.jpg
129KB, 598x598px
I'll start

I remember walking through the NES aisle wishing I could own Mega Man 1 on the NES. Suddenly a kid passes by and buys it and 2 other games like it's nothing. The NES I owned was a gift from the land-lord who felt sorry for me and my bros.

I also remember wishing I could own Ninja Turtle and Batman toys -- something I never got to own.

>you're in a feels thread.
>>
The sad thing is so many used retro games cost more than they did at original retail. So this is an ongoing feel.
>>
>>4235984
>wealthy now
>dont know what to spend my money on
>spending my money is just a way to escape my reality
>you dont even need to spend money but you still do
>need to get more money to escape reality more
>>
>>4235984
>being poor
I played the shit out of store kiosks whenever I went to a big box store. Would play so long my neck would hurt from staring up. I remember playing a Vitual Boy kiosk once and a girl kept bothering me for a turn. Kept blowing her off until she brought her mom over to scare me. It worked ;_;
>>
I don't have any of these memories but I'm pretty obsessed with The Beach Boys (all I listen to really). So good OP pic, OP
>>
Not necessarily poor memories, but memories of being disappointed/alienated by people in this world at a young age:

>be like 14 or 15, turbo autism Nintendo fanboy, back when the Nintendo forums were still up
>the Nintendo DS Lite XL had just come out
>a family is looking at the XL through the case
>going on about how "It's bigger!"
>I am forced to watch them purchase a Lite XL because "It's bigger!"
>Nintendo apealing to THIS demographic, now?
>hate people for not understanding that an oversized portable is objectively stupid
>Nintendo forums shut down by Nintendo of America soon after
>Hate Nintendo ever since
>>
>>4235991
Except that what used to be a poor child is now a grown adult. If he learned anything about working hard and not wasting money, splurging on some toys he wanted as s child would be insignificant.
>>
>>4237029
I only buy the xl versions, they look far far better to me. My mother had a regular 3ds for a long time because the xl wasn't out and I eventually got her the larger one after she fawned over mine every time she saw it.
>>
File: 1496714262799.gif (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1496714262799.gif
34KB, 640x480px
I grew up in the arcades, so it's not like my childhood was deprived of video games. But, we were too poor for a home consoles. I didn't buy my first home console until I was 17 (NES), and PS2 was coming out by that time.

I remember up to that point, I would collect video game magazines and Toys R Us holiday ads showcasing consoles and newly released video games, so in a way I experienced all of it vicariously.

One thing I remember doing is drawing NES ad Game Boy a lot, from different angles. Weird, now that I think about it.
>>
>>4237029

Interesting, I feel eerily similar. I rarely travel with my XL for that same reason, I only ever really play it at home before bedtime.
>>
Extra poor guy here.
I had a famiclone so all I played was shitty bootlegs.
I had very few games borrowed the rest,kids were stealing my shit so I didnt had friends.
Grew up still poor,never learned how to make money.
>>
File: 418253-all-cracked-up-1.jpg (209KB, 721x555px) Image search: [Google]
418253-all-cracked-up-1.jpg
209KB, 721x555px
>>4235992

Shit, man, I'm at a point where I ain't rich, but can afford to spend somewhat frivolously. I kind of always knew that my problem stemmed from social isolation, even when I was very young, and that having more money wouldn't fix that.

Honest advice: talk to someone, a professional. It's what I'm doing and it's helping.

How's this related to the vidya? I am obsessed with playing old consoles as an adult to catch up o what I see as missing out on an important cultural milestone for the youth of my generation. Again, the social isolation is there because I missed out on a lot of what it means to have been young in a capitalist first world society during the 80s and 90s. I guess it could be excused if I was doing something more productive like learning the cello, but i was just plain homeless.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.