[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Restoring a DMG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 20170903_165056.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170903_165056.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
I picked up a DMG with Tetris at the thrift shop the other day for $1.98. I cleaned the battery contacts and it fired up and works great. The shell is obviously yellowed and there are some scratches on the shell. Most are minor and there are 2 small dings on the back. The screen is scratch free though. I know how to remove the yellowing by retrobrighting but what can be done about the scratches? The case has a slight texture to it and it seems that if i try to sand out the scratches it will just sand the texture smooth in those spots. Is retrobrighting it and lightly sanding the scratches to remove sharp edges all I can really do?

Also whats good way to get the marker off the tetris cartridge? Ive tried Alchohol and a magic eraser with no success.

Bonus question: I also picked up a GBA SP-101 for $10. It works great with perfect screen but the shell is pink pearl and is beat up pretty bad. Are the shells they sell on amazon for $10 bucks a good idea?
>>
>>4235710
That yellow looks great. What city and / or state did you find it in for such a low price?
>>
>>4235710
I ordered my pikachu case from ebay and I recommend it. For 10 bucks, it's a good deal.
>>
>>4235720
Im in the south east united states. It just depends on where you go. Some thrift stores you will find stuff like this just laying out on the shelves for nothing. At others they will put it behind the counter and slap a typical ebay price on it. I don't really care for the yellowing.

>>4235807
cool, thanks anon. I am looking at something like this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GBA-SP-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-Replacement-Housing-Shell-Screen-Lens-Green-USA/192273337356?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Dfb630db2e00a4c73b008bd21deacbeb6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282626143898&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I really only need the case but it probably wouldn't hurt to get all the other crap too. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't complete garbage. I really like to keep stuff original as much as possible but the case is so beat up i figure it cant really hurt anything at this point. The GBA had a hello kitty sticker skin on it so most of it is still in good shape, but the edges are rekt.
>>
>>4235710
Similar anon here. I posted a thread like this a couple of months ago. Retrobrighting is obviously the best way to get rid of the yellow but I would leave the scratches. When I did the sanding I found it left a small dent. Besides, with the scars it's battle damaged :^). Be careful with the screen replacements though, the one I bought ended up being slightly off center and it annoys me so much.
>>
>>4235710
>retrobrighting

Don't bother. It will just yellow again. The only permanent solution is to paint over it, or just swap it for a non-white shell. Replacement shells don't cost that much on eBay. I think the plastic is a lot rougher in design, though.
>>
File: 20170904_085030.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170904_085030.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Thanks for the tips.

Everything is cleaned and ready for retro brighting. Any ideas on getting the name off the cartridge? I may just sand it.

Also, has anyone done the backlight/biverter mod and what are your thoughts on such?
>>
>>4237050
Use alcohol on the sharpie. It'll take away but it'll look better than sanding
>>
>>4237375
Ive tried 70% Isopropyl Alchohol and a Magic Eraser and its not coming off.
>>
>>4237870
>not using meme% isopropyl booze
>expecting meme shit to happen
>being as meme as a meme of memes
>>
>>4235710
For cleaning, you might try tetrachloroethylene, found as brake parts cleaner in auto shops like Autozone, Advance, etc.

BE WARNED: It's very powerful. Test it first to make sure it won't dissolve the polymer you plan to use it on.

You might also try a bar of Lava soap(also found in auto stores, usually), but make sure you remove the plastic housing from electronic parts of course, before cleaning.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.