[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make retro-inspired games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 1501150248492.png (275KB, 4622x1773px) Image search: [Google]
1501150248492.png
275KB, 4622x1773px
What are some programs that could be used to make retro-inspired games?

I'm aware of RPGMaker, Unity, not trying to do actual Z80

Anything like RPGToolkit? If anyone is aware of that program

I want to implement my own sprites, have a very, very large map (but it will look like an Atari 2600 game) and RPG is or is not necessary.

I understand some very, very basic concepts of programming because of Z80 but I'd like to avoid coding as much as possible

Any suggestions? Thank you
>>
>>4235508
>RPG is or is not necessary.
It doesn't have to be an RPG-maker*
>>
>>4235508
What kind of game would you want to make?
>>
OHRRPGCE
>>
>>4235516
You are a little character on the screen, and you go from town to town, or you explore the world map -- this can be point and click, or this can be by mouse movement

If the programs pertains to RPG, I can tailor the game to be RPG -- if the game is more for action based or sword swinging, I can tailor the game in that direction also

Just want a program that won't crash lol but that may be a fact of life when making a game sometimes?
>>
>>4235526
so something that looks like that first Ultima game, but would have luxuries of modern gaming I guess
>>
>>4235526
I could do everything you mentioned with my ancient copy of RPG Maker 2000/2003 apart from the "or this can be by mouse movement" part. Probably even easier and slightly less limited with the newer RPG makers.

I'm still not sure if I understand what kind of game you are talking about here? Anyway you can do things like platformers in RPG Maker 2000 if you want to but if you are going for a "more action based or sword swinging" and want tighter controls you'd probably have better end result with Game Maker and IIRC there is also a maker program for point and click games, I think it's called Adventure Game Studio.

However do take everything I said with a grain of salt I'm just someone who fooled around with RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 way too much about a decade ago without ever managing to finish anything I started and haven't really done anything with the other "makers" or even with the newer RPG Makers.
>>
>>4235650
Can you insert your own sprites into RPG Maker 2000/2003? It feels like I've tried so many versions and I wasn't able to do that

You can go and edit the default, or template sprites so it would load your own but that is seriously counter intuitive
>>
>>4235650
Thank you for the reply btw
>>
Game Maker Studio 2. Undertale was made using the program, so it's pretty good for 2D games.

(I know their fanbase is cancer but the whole game was made almost entirely by 1 guy and he's bank on that game)
>>
>>4235795
Perfect~ Thank you
>>
>>4235795
If your game is successful you'll run into the same problem the Undertale guy did, the game cannot be ported to anything, everything needs to be redone from scratch if he ever intends to port it to consoles.
>>
>>4235810
:o
>>
>>4235810
He ported it to PS4, so that's that.
>>
>>4236107
no he did not, somebody else did
>>
File: Untitled.png (71KB, 1357x821px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
71KB, 1357x821px
>>4235810
Game Maker can compile more than just PC games now.
>>
>>4236119
Game Maker Studio makes games for mobile now?! That's pretty awesome, it'd be easy as fuck to make a 2D Earthboundesque game for gen Zers on mobile.
>>
>>4236124
yeah, and how's earthbound selling with the kids these days?
>>
>>4236151
They're still jacking it off on youtube, in fact Undertale was made by Toby Fox, a guy famous for his fucking Earthbound hacks.
>>
inb4 "do everything in C"
>>
>>4236268
I love when people suggest that shit for somebody's basic game project

You could actually whip up something like that in Unity OP, it's a byzantine environment but very flexible once you get it figured out.
>>
Even if you use a library like SDL where you'd have to do some basic C or C++ programming, over 90% of the work you'd do is still on creating assets (art, sprites, animation). Also unlike RPGMaker and Unity it is open source and royalty-free.

See http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/
>>
>>4235657
You can make your own sprites and import the images into your project.
>>
>>4235508
>Anything like RPGToolkit? If anyone is aware of that program
Why the hell would you bother using that when it's patently inferior to RPG Maker in every single way?
>>
RPG Maker 95

Keep it retro.
>>
>>4235508
Real men use wla. Hell, even little boys use it. If you want to do hymen tier development rpgmaker is probably your best bet.
>>
>>4235508
retro-inspired games are not retro
>>
>>4235508
GMS2 for arpgs or zeldalikes. Rpgmaker for jrpgs. You'll hear a lot of people shitting on gms here on 4chan (go look at /agdg/ on /vg/, software war shittery) but speaking from experience GMS2 shits on GMS or unity for 2d or retro projects. Now has functional room/layer editor, autotiling (runtime autotile in future updates), properly supports tilemaps (tilemap collisions are efficient as fuck compared to old gms) and has just got a damn good debugger update. Has drag and drop coding, but GML is easy as fuck to learn and you will want to do that to make the most of it.
>>
RPG Maker's event system is sophisticated enough that you can make non-RPGs. It's just a matter of using the event system to command sprites to move and act how you want them to. I think creating a platformer is completely feasible, as is a shoot-'em-up.

Later versions also allow you to use your own scripts to make the engine do basically anything you want. Of course, that requires knowledge of a scripting language in the first place.
>>
>>4238536
/agdg/ actually praises GMS for the most part. Almost all of their games are made in it or unity.
>>
>>4238674
Yeah, I know enough to do exactly what you're talking about.

Do you happen to know which version of RPG Maker allows you to implement and use your own sprites most easily?
>>
>>4236913
>wla
what?
i cant websrearch it to find anything that seems associated with game making
>>
>>4239985
https://www.google.com/search?q=wla+game+engine&oq=wla+game+engine&aqs=chrome..69i57l2j69i60l4.3127j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

First result
>>
>>4239994
AKA

http://www.villehelin.com/wla.html

but seriously, I typed, "wla game engine" on google and it's the first result like get good at life senpai
>>
>>4236913
>>4239996

Are you being sarcastic? I can learn this kind of stuff, but why should I make the effort to do so over other options
>>
File: Clipboard-1.jpg.png (123KB, 1020x896px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard-1.jpg.png
123KB, 1020x896px
>>4239996
thanks, i did try addingh game studio, game maker etc, for wla game engine my search results were poluted with blogshit and 3rd one is a store, and 8th on github actually has a link to villehelin, and it appears itself right after, but it just read as gibberish to me "WLA DX - Yet Another GB-Z80/Z80/6502/65C02/6510/65816/HUC6280/"

so youre suggesting OP do it limited to SNES/genesis/pcengine capabilities?
>>
>>4240017
No. No you can't, you should do whatever fits your flavor of the day intelligence, logic, gender decision.

>>4240018
Not that anon but I'll down right say OP is limited in so many ways. Shit like rpgmaker are all up his vag.
>>
What does this have to do with retro video games?
>>
>>4235810
To be fair, he's made so much money that I don't think he even needs to care about what he can port it to.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.