[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I want to get into Daggerfall. What is the best way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: daggerfallio.png (78KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
daggerfallio.png
78KB, 720x450px
Hey guys, I want to get into Daggerfall. What is the best way to play this game? Any mods you would recommend on a first playthrough? Does the .zip on Bethesda's website work on Windows 7? Help me out please.
>>
The best way to play the game is to install it, load it into memory, and interact with it. Mods are unnecessary. DOS games do not natively run in non-DOS operating systems. All of these questions are answerable with 30 seconds in any search engine. There is in fact an entire FAQ page for this which will show up immediately upon doing so. You spent more time finding that screenshot than it takes to learn this information on your own.
>>
>>4235381
the release on bethesda's website comes with full instructions how to set it up with dosbox.

also this:
>>4235495
>You spent more time finding that screenshot than it takes to learn this information on your own.
the pic is a semi-rare prerelease screenshot. while it's easy to find if you know where to look, it certainly doesn't show up on google image search when you google daggerfall.
>>
>>4235381
As a fellow newfag, I have to recommend this anon's advice:
>The best way to play the game is to install it, load it into memory, and interact with it. Mods are unnecessary.

Also, the installer that you can find on UESP does all the DosBox-to-Windows work for you during the install leaving you with a neat little icon on your desktop to double-click.

It also includes bugfixes. The game is complex and challenging enough without mods, but god damn do you need the bug fixes.
>>
>>4236331
There's also a setting to change in the config file to make the controls not shit, but I can't remember what it was.
>>
>>4235381
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

get DaggerfallSetup

When you get the game running, turn on mouse view in the controls options and rebind your keys to what you want. People who complain about the controls don't realize you can make it control almost exactly like modern TES.
>>
>>4236531

this
>>
>>4235381
The best way to play Daggerfall is to get lost, die a thousand times while lost, get stuck in a dungeon that was randomized in such a way that you can't get out, and finally realize that Bethesda had no idea what they were doing at this point in the series and that you would do much better playing a JRPG.
>>
>>4236552
C A S U A L

OP, Daggerfall is a learning experience. You fuck up, you learn, you start again. However, creating a good character in the game is essential, and you can find guides how to do it decently. I've already given more in-depth tips in the previous thread so I won't bother again, but you can absolutely make a badass spellsword motherfucker right at the start of the game.

Also read up on how to navigate dungeons like a proper denizen of the Iliac Bay and not some cyrodilic faggot.
Really there's tons of useful shit people have talked about in previous threads so you might as well go full out and read it: https://desuarchive.org/vr/search/text/daggerfall/
>>
>>4236552

This is good advice but I don't think you're quite right. That is a good way to play, but the BEST way is to ignore the game altogether while you become either skilled at programming and game design, or moderately wealthy, or both--and then use your skill or your money to create a game that is like Daggerfall but that is actually programmed well instead of horribly, that has a good UI and a good combat engine instead of cruddy, barely passable ones, and that doesn't shoot itself in the foot constantly by mixing game elements that are tedious by design with game elements that are awesome and interesting. Then, wait until somebody else tops you with an even better version of what you've done. Then, play their game.
>>
>>4237209
Should /vr/ maybe start a game dev project?
>>
>>4238576
People make pointless conversions like Skywind/Morroblivion all the time, but here's what I wanna see: Arena remade in Daggerfall style, all fixed up and expanded.
>>
>>4238576

http://www.dfworkshop.net/
>>
>>4239236

https://github.com/afritz1/OpenTESArena
>>
>>4239257
Looks quite good. But i wonder how faithful can these projects get to the source code.
>>
>>4239236
>>4239254

I was thinking more along the lines of a game LIKE Daggerfall, or even an open source DFlike system.
>>
>>4240703

open source projects are hard to really get going like that, and most of /vr/ is, honestly, pretty bad with having any kind of work ethic.
>>
>>4240946
Maybe I'll get something started and post when there's results.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.