[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any front mission fans here? Can I just start with the third

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

File: Front_Mission_3_Coverart.png (138KB, 256x254px) Image search: [Google]
Front_Mission_3_Coverart.png
138KB, 256x254px
Any front mission fans here? Can I just start with the third game?
First game was really slow and kicked my ass and the second game looks great but the translation is a mess
>>
still haven't played FM2 with the patch cause of all the broken videos. The project leader LegaiaRules had the translated vids with working audio on his channel but the dick nuked his channel and disappeared.

Not to mention all the untranslated bits outside of the missions, but I dont know how jarring the experience is while playing.

Loved FM3 and that fan-translation for FM5 was a lot of better than the the afterthought that was the subbing project for 2.
>>
1 is kinda shit
2 is the best in the series and one of the best tactics games ever made
Don't be intimidated by the sloppy patch, it's worth the trouble
>>
>>4234254
This is really disappointing because there is a text file that has the untranslated text with the patch file but the cutscenes aren't translated and the videos are gone
>>
>>4234320
1 and 2 are slow boring slogs and fucking suck
>>
>>4234019
Made me look up some gameplay pics, and it honestly looks so dank

Love that early 3D look
>>
front mission 1 is actually pretty gud, the thing is that you have to spend time fine tuning your mechs and specializing them for their specific role (dont be stupid, if somebody has more skill points in LONG dont give him a tonfa), it also hurts it a bit that you have to gain some pilot levels before you can get skills that let you target specific body parts.

>meele builds need a lot of DF
>long ranged need lots of POWER and HIT, so they can carry two missile launchers and land shots with them
>assault builds need lots of MOVE and HIT, HP also comes in handy for obvious reasons, dont overload them, just given them two hand weapons and a shield so they can move freely, you should go for the switch skill as soon as possible, it lets them fire with each weapon for crazy damage
>Hybrid builds are viable but it will suffer with untrained weapons

Also USE YOUR FUCKING CHAFF GRANADES, or you will get murdered as soon as Egret launchers are introduced

If you are short of money just cheese the arena, as soon as you get the Guide skill on somebody with a missile launcher fight somebody with short range weapons (not meele mind you) and you will get to fire first at the chest area, most of the time you will win without taking hit
>>
>>4234019
you can probably start with 3 if you want, the snes translated ones are a buggy mess, when I play 1 it sometimes crashes back to a translator credits screen making it unplayable.

learn to hack them internets if you do play 3.
>>
File: retroarch 2017-05-01 11-57-41-76.jpg (224KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
retroarch 2017-05-01 11-57-41-76.jpg
224KB, 1280x1024px
>>4234985
>snes translated ones are a buggy mess
Problem on your side.
Beat FM1 in snestopia RA core and havent encountered a single crash, not only this but translation itself is pretty good.

>>4234904
FM1 is a good game that takes you straight to a point.
FM2 is a good strategy game that will make you use terrain and companion bonuses.
Tons of different unit from jets and tanks to a very simple searchlight vechicles.

Large maps and all, it has potential to get a bit boring when you go spend almost an hour at the same map but apart from that the game is fine.
>>
>>4234019
GUNHAZARD
>>
>>4234985

you can always play the DS version of FM1

>nobody will translate the DS spinoff

fuggg
>>
File: FM-DS-FRONT-T.jpg (109KB, 650x584px) Image search: [Google]
FM-DS-FRONT-T.jpg
109KB, 650x584px
>>4234949
My only hangup for the psx FM1 is the abbv. menu dialogue. I prefer the DS port much much more
>>
File: ROFLUPMAO.jpg (4KB, 80x100px) Image search: [Google]
ROFLUPMAO.jpg
4KB, 80x100px
>>4234019
>Can I just start with the third game?
Sure, it's the worst in the series so things can only get uphill from there.
>First game was really slow and kicked my ass
Machinegunes and missile launchers nigga
>>
File: ePSXe 2016-04-01 16-21-22-40.jpg (122KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ePSXe 2016-04-01 16-21-22-40.jpg
122KB, 1280x1024px
>>4235343
Gameplay is pretty much attack with slot machine and stays consistently like this till the end.
It has its moments but gets stale after 30 hours or so.

Still, pretty comfy game with tons of lore you can explore on the in game web.
Artstyle is good as well.
>>
>>4235343
>filename
my man, I used to just put 6 ROFUP I on him once I got the computers with the higher activation rates. Almost made it worth it to have to watch every time.
>>
>>4234019
>First game was really slow and kicked my ass
You not upgrading enough and spaming missiles/grenades.
>>
>>4235032
>Bugs
FM1 will crash after the Hell's Wall missions in the city while using Snes9x.
>>
I've had no issues with FM1 crashing and I've beaten it but I used zsnes so ymmv.

FM1 had a nice story and it felt like an actual army strategy RPG. Game difficulty varied since you can farm the coliseum to level up pilots to a point, but you couldn't get too over leveled because a vast majority of xp was to be made blowing up limbs off of higher leveled story enemies.

FM3 is kind of...weird in a sense. I enjoy the game but it has some strange pacing and feels to it; I'm not really far in it yet but I have it on my PS3 so I'll probably get back to replaying it soon after I get bored of Unlimited SaGa and Valkyrie Profile
>>
File: PEG frntmisTrio.jpg (525KB, 1348x1593px) Image search: [Google]
PEG frntmisTrio.jpg
525KB, 1348x1593px
>>4234019
>9
>>
File: 1436299300527.gif (97KB, 398x303px) Image search: [Google]
1436299300527.gif
97KB, 398x303px
>>4235369
>attack with slot machine
That is the best way i have ever heard to describe it. Using save states it becomes even more apparent everything relies on randomly generated code.
>move one square into the range of an enemy partially obstructed cover
>Get riggidy wrecked
>Paralized
>left arm destroyed
>pilot ejected
>reload
>make a purposefully bad move within the range of 3 shotgun/melee dudes
>miss
>miss
>12 damage
>one enemy moves out of range for no reason
OK. Probably the most counter intuitive tactics game I can think of.
>>
>>4235408
>FM3 is kind of...weird in a sense. I enjoy the game but it has some strange pacing and feels to it
It's pretty weird because in both routes you get pretty much a long filler arc that has nothing to do with what you're supposed to be doing, Emma's route being the worst of the two in this since at least in Alisa's route things are more contextualized and are overall saved by Liu being Liu and having more charisma, plot relevance and character than the entire cast you get, similarly to Dennis in Emma's route, but more so.
Then you slowly get back in the actual plot, only to get another filler arc before the final confrontation with the antagonist, which is literally a discount Driscoll.
I like all FMs, but I'd be lying if 3 isn't damn weak in everything, especially compared to 2, which is just stellar, it even runs and looks better than 3 somehow.
>>
>>4235480
I'm kicking myself for picking Emma's route then, lol. At least I get....Moneymaker? And an overall easier time as far as game difficulty. It is neat to see characters act in the different scenarios, how one all is an enemy on the other side of the coin. Keeps the game lifelike in a sense.

But yeah like the poster above stated, as humorous as is, it was a bit strange to see the Kazuki-Ryogo banter supercede the serious nature of certain story elements, like being a national traitor and on the run.
>>
>>4235521
>I'm kicking myself for picking Emma's route then, lol
Emma's route isn't that bad plotwise because it picks up a lot due to Emma and Dennis' sideplot after you finish Moneymaker's arc, that small part is really good and Dennis really shines in there, it also leads to a way less depressing ending than Alisa's route, even though it's still a bad ending, but Alisa's route makes you feel really bad for a certain character near the end, on the bright side, you'll really enjoy seeing Liu's side of the story once you play Alisa's route, Liu himself is a great character, possibly the best in the game.
>it was a bit strange to see the Kazuki-Ryogo banter supercede the serious nature of certain story elements
Yeah, I know how you feel.
I personally think they tried to redo the Thomas/Rocky/Roswell bantz brigade from 2, but in 3 it really falls short, mostly because Kazuki himself is really an unbearable aspie and the bantz is so out of place with the atmosphere of the game it comes off as really weird, whereas Thomas&Co. worked out well because they were basically a stray group of characters you see through the eyes of the two main casts instead of being the center of the attention, and while they did have more comedy than most of the cast they also had an amazing characterization and possibly the best dramatic twist in the whole game being part of their own sidestory.
I mean, in 3 it's way more entertaining that you can rig the college election polls for your sister by abusing all those different IP while you're on the run than any of the skits with Ryogo, or Ryogo's internet sidestory with him wanting to pork that teacher, the main bantz really falls short.
>>
The PS2 games are the best.
>>
How is 4? I see it's pretty cheap even brand new. Never played any Front Mission game or any tactical RPGs for that matter.
>>
File: meihua.jpg (418KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
meihua.jpg
418KB, 1224x1632px
Coincidentally, I beat the DS version of FM1 a couple days ago. It took me 22 hours.

Plotwise, it was pretty generic IMHO. The foreshadowing wasn't subtle and you could more or less guess the plot.

Graphics were great. I loved every pixel in there. The music wasn't bad, but it started kinda looping.

The mechanics? They're great until you make your characters OP. In my case, Meihua became the destroyer of worlds halfway through the game or something like that. I think she had the Double skill out of the box (correct me if I'm wrong). She literally ripped enemies' arms off.
Also, going barefists pays off in most cases. Melee weapons are shit (they actually usually deal less damage than fists do) and they use up weight. I had an army of 600+ HP hoodlums punching the main boss into oblivion.

Pic related, old photo though. I took it when she became a monster and she got even better later on.

I got Front Mission 2 on my PSP, but I'll apparently have to play with the script printed out... so I'm discouraged for the time being.
I'll pick up Armored Core or something.
>>
>>4235574

Ahaha, I always forget the DS originally looked like that. Those screens were too dim.
>>
>>4235574
Ah, I forgot to mention I haven't used any healing items nor any support items (like chaffs). FINAL DESTINATION
This game'd be a lot better if it had permadeath, too.

>>4235576
Haha, yeah, and playing that in sunlight is a pain in the ass as well.
I have to change the protection foil on the bottom screen, though. It's scratched, so I can't see shit anymore.
>>
>>4235574

if you have a modern phone just have script on the screen, the only problem would be the cutscenes

how did you run FM2 on the PSP anyways did you convert the ISO yourself? I saw a patched eboot on Nicoblog, but I havent tried it yet
>>
File: fm-emir-kramskoi.jpg (109KB, 970x952px) Image search: [Google]
fm-emir-kramskoi.jpg
109KB, 970x952px
>>4234019
FM3 is the odd game out in a way because it's much smaller in terms of how many wanzers can be fielded per-battle. This results in everything feeling like a small skirmish compared to previous two games. Otherwise it's a pretty damn great title.
>>
File: YES_face.gif (239KB, 224x198px) Image search: [Google]
YES_face.gif
239KB, 224x198px
>>4235438
>mfw multiple ROFUP activation
>with a shotgun
>>
>>4235480
So how long are the routes?
>>
>>4234019
This game looks so dank, seriously and I LOVE old 3d PS1 graphics

Thanks, OP
>>
>>4235640
I knew FM3 was going to be good from the moment I saw that vertical sliding menu.
>>
>>4235636
Both Alisa and Emma's route are more or less the same in terms of length, with Alisa's being somewhat shorter.
In terms of pacing, they are pretty slow, which makes them feel longer than they actually are, Emma's route especially feels really long compared to Alisa's, but that is mostly because Alisa's route is more consistent in terms of scenario and flows much better, whereas Emma's is more varied and has you run around in quite a few different places and see a few different sidestories, at the same time if does feel less coherent than Alisa's since you're tackling on different subjects that aren't really part of the main scenario at all or even your current objectives, Alisa's route is vaguely similar in that sense but it still more plot relevant since most of her route concentrates on Liu and, by proxy, directly on the game's antagonists, which is better if you're interested more in Kazuki's own story, Emma's side is more general worldbuilding in that sense.
Unfortunately though, that worldbuilding doesn't really tie a lot into other games like you would have in FM2 or 4, it's more a visual commentary on the slow fall of the political forces of the world of FM, but it really only makes more sense if you play FM2, 4 and 5, as a standalone it might be pretty boring.
>>
You can and actually, that is what I myself did. The game themselves are largely disconnected. I did eventually go back to each games and each connections and references were minimal at best. FM3 is one of the better games of the series, and honestly, if you just play this game and leave on a good note, that won't be the worst thing. Each games of the series got their fuckups and strengths, FM3 seems to keep things in the middle the best. Also fuck yes destructable environment and capturable enemy unit. All you need to know is that there was WWIII, each continent unified to form their version of EU, and big industrial robots were used as weapons.
>>
>>4235695
>The game themselves are largely disconnected
That isn't true in the slightest.
There is a lot of recurrent cast inbetween all the titles, not to mention the lore.
If you go on the internet in 2 or 3 without having played 1, 4 or 5 you miss most of the worldbuilding because even in something trivial as reading the news the games are all connecter.
Hell, 2 literally has you reading news reports on the events of 3 in the first hours of the game.
>>
>>4235592
I could just print the script out. Then again, flipping through the pages (printed out or on mobile) kinda ruins the atmosphere and it'd be hard to do in public places (yeah, I actually play these games outside sometimes).

I didn't bother to patch the game myself. The Nicoblog version is basically OpticalGarbage version, but saves you the trouble of patching & converting stuff by yourself. Just go with this one.
>>
>>4235480
>in both routes you get pretty much a long filler arc

I only detected this in Emma's route, what is the filler in Alisa's?

>>4235521
Emma's route is the best even if the middle of the game is mostly bullshit. It has a better final boss battle and ending.
>>
File: wew.webm (2MB, 1280x480px) Image search: [Google]
wew.webm
2MB, 1280x480px
>Spam arena to level characters in FM1
Maybe that was my issue, but I don't remember doing it that much though the level would indicate that.
I just slapped mg on them and called it a day.
>>
>>4235574
Apparently the DS FM1 had a dumbed-down localization. I haven't played both so I can't confirm this.
>>
>>4234019
The gameplay, visuals and music are great.

It wears out its welcome 20 hours in though. The plot especially just takes a giant sideways detour and didn't go anywhere for so long I got bored and stopped playing. The RNG is fucking retarded too, I savescummed for the last hour just to see what'd happen and some turns you'd get obliterated and miss everything and others you'd clean house. No actual skill required, just good rolls. That was the final straw for me.
>>
>>4238451
The "final" boss in emma's route is just a bunch of cops and then you punch out a politician in an FMV.

Alisa's route has a giant lobster mech. How many giant lobsters do you see in any videogame???
>>
>>4235032
>its your fault the rom crashes
using retroarch on android so I didn't expect miracles. that said it occasionally crashed on PC aswell but not as bad, I got further on that save.

I guess im saying if your emulator isn't perfect don't bother ?

>>4235592
not same anon but PSP has emulators too.
>>
>>4235554
true dat but you know talking about them is heresy here
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.