[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This game is called Final Fantasy II.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

File: 3621_front.jpg (44KB, 640x449px) Image search: [Google]
3621_front.jpg
44KB, 640x449px
This game is called Final Fantasy II.
>>
>>4233814
i replay this every now and then and doing so now
love the music
>>
Growing up, I had what was for us Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3. Then one time a friend of mine came over and told me about Final Fantasy 7 being in development. I was adamant that wasn't possible because there had only bee 3 games so far. We argued until it actually came to blows.

... I was kind of a little shithead back then.
>>
>Be home console
>Final Fantasy games aren't popular enough
>Better not localize half of them

>Be portable console
>Final Fantasy games are so popular
>Better retitle our localization of Saga and Mana games
>>
File: The_Bourne_Hoarder.jpg (599KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
The_Bourne_Hoarder.jpg
599KB, 2592x1944px
The game remains as my 2nd favorite Final Fantasy after Tactics.

It was my 2nd SNES game after the pack-in Super Mario World. I chose the game partly because the original Dragon Quest (Warrior) was one of the few games I never beat (due to weekend rental) and surprisingly I did not like Dragon Warrior at the time, but the nagging feeling that I never beat it made me think I should try the JRPG genre again. In playing Final Fantasy 2, I always thought the game underwhelmed in terms of graphical polish and did not push my new SNES, but the flow of the game suited my pace.

I remember a trade show where Square was showing off Final Fantasy 3. I asked their representative about 5, and they said that they planned on releasing it in the US as "Final Fantasy Extreme".

I got Final Fantasy 3 when it came out, and I enjoyed it, but got into debates whether it was better than 2, and the primary thing others offered for how 3 was better was just "graphics" but that nagging feeling for me 2 (4 easy type) was better just because I feel it was paced very well and was more fun to me.

I played both Final Fantasy 2 (4, easy type) and Ultima 7: The Black Gate around the same time. Made me finally love the RPG genre when Dragon Quest (1) failed. Still surprising as I had not read much on either game in magazines and just blind purchased (and "borrowed" Ultima 7 on PC).
>>
isn't the US version permanently stuck in Wait mode without the option to switch to Active or increase the battle speed? That's pretty fucking terrible

but anyway, the game (original, not this) is probably the best paced and balanced game in the series, partly because of the lack of customization or grinding
props for introducing ATB though, wouldn't have Grandia, Baten Kaitos Origins or Panzer Dragoon Saga

played it last year for the first time and I was surprised by how much I loved it
I'm playing the DS version now and it may even be better
>>
>>4234103
>wouldn't have Grandia, Baten Kaitos Origins or Panzer Dragoon Saga
*without it
>>
>>4233814
>four save files
Welp i'm sold
>>
>>4234172
SNES game has that on the box as a selling point

Pokemon games in 2017 still only have one
>>
>>4233814
ok, thaks
>>
>>4233814
>76 page manual
I think I miss stuff like this the most.
>>
>>4234756
me too. I feel so ripped off getting modern games with no manual.
>>
>>4234180
yea they only have one so if there's multiple kids in your family you have to buy multiple copies of pokemon
>>
>>4233814
This was my least favorite game in the series for a long time because of the complete lack of customization, but I just replayed it and it finally clicked for me. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table other than ATB which I don't really even like, but it is the perfect vanilla JRPG.
>>
>>4234014
people keep saying that Square gotten retarded as of late.

But they were always like that
>>
I'm playing it right now. Just got to the Dark World, and I"m proud of myself for finding the secret entrance and not needing a guide at any point. Are there any good spells I should be using besides the classic, Heal/Life/Cure and Fire/Ice/Lightning? The spells don't have any descriptions and I keep forgetting what they do after I look them up online, and only some of them can be used on bosses so I don't really bother.
>>
>>4237293
The buff spells are really good for boss fights. Haste, protect, she'll are all great.

Most enemies have an elemental weakness, scan/libra them to see their weakness.

You learn new spells as you level up, unless its a character with a crippled list like young rydia.

Don't run from any fights and you'll be fine. If you want to start getting gud, then libra enemies and figure out strategies to end the encounter in one or two turns.
>>
>>4237293
Haste + Berserk a character if all they're doing is spamming attack. Protect and shell for every tough/boss fight. Slow and stop works on almost everything. Stop is great for farming a difficult enemy for EXP.
>>
>>4237293

It's an easy enough game that you can use whatever spells you want and ignore whatever ones you want, and you'll probably do okay.
>>
>>4237293
The fuck you talking about dark world secret entrance?
>>
>>4233814

>hard
>great music
>lots of random battles
>great variety of characters/skills
>5 fucking guys a party

Wish they would properly remake it.
>>
>>4234103
>lack of customization or grinding

It's one of the most grind-intensive games in the series. No one is going to survive their trip through the Lunar Subterrane with natural levels. Yes, this applies to the shitty SNES version as well.
>>
>>4238634
This game has the most remakes in the series.
>>
>>4238712

I know. And none of them are good, or even worth playing compared to the original.
>>
>>4237478
I think they meant the Underworld.
>>
>>4238712
>Final Fantasy IV for Super Famicom
>Final Fantasy "II" for Super Nintendo
>Final Fantasy IV Easy Type for Super Famicom
>Final Fantasy IV for Playstation
>Final Fantasy IV for Wonderswan
>Final Fantasy IV for DS
>Final Fantasy IV for PSP
>Final Fantasy 4 Fast 4 Furious
Did I miss any?

Anyway WHY do they constantly keep remaking FFIV? Is it that popular in Japan?
>>
>>4238728
There are at least 2 versions that are better than the original
>>
>>4238996
>Is it that popular in Japan?
They teach the Theme of Love to kids at school, what do you think? IV was completely revolutionary for it's time.
>>
>>4233814
What do you lads think of that Final Fantasy Netflix TV Show
>>
>>4234052
FF2 isn't 4EZ. It's it's own even easier difficulty with censorship on top.
>>
File: ff4 psp.jpg (885KB, 1153x1988px) Image search: [Google]
ff4 psp.jpg
885KB, 1153x1988px
>>4238728
The PSP version is at least as good as the original, if not better
>>
>>4239554
This guy knows what's up. Also, what do you not like about the DS one? Is it too hard for bb?
>>
>>4239573
>Also, what do you not like about the DS one?

Other than the art style, I don't know because I never played it. After having played the original on SNES years ago when it first released, I had the urge to replay it a while back and decided to give one of the remakes a try. Ultimately, I decided on the PSP version because I thought they did a great job with updating the sprites, and the 3D models on the DS version did not appeal to me.

So yeah, the PSP version is great, but I can't really speak about the DS version because I didn't play it. I just don't like the look of it
>>
>>4240842
Fair. I'm not the biggest fan of the 3D models but they don't bother me much. I'd suggest giving it a try, because it's honestly a great translation of the game to a slightly different presentation and it's balls hard if you like a challenge.
>>
>>4239554

It's based too much on the GBA port, and the art direction is somehow even worse. To say nothing of the After Years and its fanfic quality writing.

The PS1 port is as far as I would go with FF4. It's not top-notch, but it's a fair compromise between the shitty dumbed down version we got for SNES vs. the butchered ports and remakes to come.
>>
>>4240870
The PS1 version is what I usually default to, since it's the closest we'll ever get to an official English release of the SFC original and I'm pretty iffy on the changes both graphically and gameplay-wise the GBA remake brought to the table. The translation isn't stellar but at least it isn't FFV bad.
>>
>>4233814
WRONG!
ITS 4!
>>
>>4239035
>They teach the Theme of Love to kids at school
I don't know why Japan likes that song so much. It's not even close to the best song in the game... not even that good a song in general, for that matter.
>>
>>4238659
I have survived the Lunar Subterrane many times without intentional grinding. All you have to do is fight what you come across. Git gud
>>
>>4241132
Not even a song at all, for that matter
>>
File: 13598244331785.jpg (156KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
13598244331785.jpg
156KB, 500x375px
>>4241143
Pictured: The Theme of Love from Final Fantasy IV
>>
>>4234014
Final Fantasy Adventure isn't a Mana game which was renamed into a Final Fantasy game for the US.
It was originally called Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan, which explains why Chocobos appeared in the first one, the Mana series started as a Final Fantasy gaiden spin-off before it became it's own series starting with Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2).
The Final Fantasy Legend games are renamed SaGa games, though.

>>4239554
This.

>>4240842
>>4240865
For the DS/iOS/PC version of Final Fantasy IV, I personally call it Final Fantasy IV Remake to distinguish it from the original, since they are different games from each other.
Not VII Remake levels of different but they're still their own games.
That said, I still like Final Fantasy IV Remake but the original is still better.
>>
>>4241132
It probably doesn't hurt that it's a simple melody and thus easy for kids to learn. The remake version is legitimately pretty good though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3086YllVVs
>>
>>4241158
Did you know Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't a Mario game at all? It's actually a Japanese game called Donkey Kong Potluck with the characters changed into Mario characters!
>>
>>4241160
This legitimately fucking sucks compared to the original
>>
>>4241146
>Theme of Love is a Rare game
>>
>>4241168
I like the original and all but no.
>>
>>4241160
You're right. Modernizing the instrumentation improves that tune greatly.
>>
>>4241158
SaGa 1 has Final Fantasy references up the ass anyway. It's not some wholly separate franchise.
>>
>>4239554
Agreed. I finished it just yesterday. It's the GBA version with the best parts of the DS script (item names, mostly) and new graphics. The only problem with it is the sporadic encounter rate.

Sometimes you'll get into a battle every three steps for about two or three encounters and then be able to walk through the entire floor of a dungeon without entering a fight. I really liked that I could do the latter but it just felt like the game didn't go through proper QA or something.

I'm halfway through the Interlude now and I'm kind of worried for the rest of it and TAY since it feels very much like a fangame so far.

>>4241141
I had to be level 55 to survive the walk down to Zeromus and his Big Bang attack. It's not grindy, but the final dungeon does have a sudden spike you might not be prepared for. I actually did some grinding even when I didn't need to and still wasn't prepared for the Subterrane. This is even with the best equipment at the time and replacing Rydia with Palom and Edge with Yang and Kain with Cid
>>
>>4239073
I beat the Playstation version under leveled, but the DS version was ridiculous. I don't know what they were thinking when they made it even harder. More cheap than hard I say.
>>
>>4242116
What level were you around the dungeon where the Dark Elf is? I think I'm much lower than I should be, just have 1-2 skills for Cid last I checked, I can get past his first form, but when he becomes the Dark Dragon I get my shit pushed in. I mostly haven't played FF games and just SMT ones, so I'm unsure if I should grind or something else, my equipment for everyone is up to date, and I'm doing what needs to be done (don't have heavy stuff equipped, talked to bard beforehand so he'll do the song to weaken the Elf, etc)
>>
>>4242123
>give fire claws or whatever they're called to Yang
>power up three times during elf form
>OHKO dragon form
>>
>>4241146
Woah is this some Brink of Time shit or are you just fuckin with us?
>>
>>4239035
>Final Fantasy
>revolutionary
Pick one.
>>
>>4242156
Ohh, okay. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>4242123
>not killing Dark Elf without the help of the bard
What a pleb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHj9uNDVAUc
>>
>>4242160
>being this delusional
>>
>>4240887
>The PS1 version is what I usually default to, since it's the closest we'll ever get to an official English release of the SFC original
Indeed. That's my reasoning as well. Although I can understand enough to play the SFC version, I do find it more convenient to pop the Chronicles disc into my PS1 since I don't care that much for emulation.

The GBA port was unspeakably horrible in every regard. The PSP version cleans things up a bit, but then it has RPG Maker-style graphics and disproportionately scaled bitmaps, and a fucking fanfic shoehorned in as a second quest.

I just don't trust SE and TOSE ports anymore. I'm pretty sure the PS1 version was handled by TOSE as well, but that was mostly just porting existing assets from the SFC version, so there wasn't any new bullshit forced into the game.
>>
>>4242172
>The GBA port was unspeakably horrible in every regard

what was wrong with it? I played it recently and it seemed fine to me, except the fact that always running option was toggled by default
>>
>>4242172
All ports were done by TOSE or someone else, Square has enough trouble getting out new games with all of their staff working on it
see:Chrono Cross/Xenogears/FFXII
>>
File: firstscene.png (16KB, 512x224px) Image search: [Google]
firstscene.png
16KB, 512x224px
>>4242172
The PlayStation port actually takes more liberties with the script than the Snes localisation.

Most of them for the better in my opinion as they are usually added to make things clearer like at the start in the Japanese SFC they just say they robbed Mysidia whereas in the PS translation they explicitly state that they killed people
>>
>>4243005
>The PlayStation port actually takes more liberties with the script than the Snes localization.

Is your screenshot supposed to be an example of this? The screenshot looks fairly accurate. Not literal since that would sound fucking stupid, but not necessary slaughtered by a machine translation for that matter.

>More obstacles...
>No matter how much you say it's an order...
>Taking crystals from people who don't even...
>>
>>4243120
The screenshot is from the SNES localization. He's saying the PSX retranslation took further liberties. The translation in the picture there is fine.
>>
>>4243120
>More obstacles...
The hell? The first line translates to "So the captain is ALSO..."
I think the SNES port includes that bit, it just has it in the previous text box.
>>
>>4243135
>"So the captain is ALSO..."

Oh, you're right. I'm having trouble making out the tiny characters in that screenshot. No wonder that line seemed so weird.
>>
>>4243142
And I also misremembered, the SNES translation leaves it out entirely.
>>
>>4243150

The SNES version was probably a hackjob. They might not have enough windows assigned to fit all the text.

Looking at the PS1 version, it almost looks like the script was intentionally re-written, albeit with the spirit of the original script in mind. Maybe the goal was to give the script further context for English speakers.

Characters speak in such incredibly colloquial and phrasal ways in these games. I'm not so sure a literal translation would make sense to anyone. But the (re-)rewritten scripts found in the GBA and DS and PSP versions are definitely too bizarre for my taste.
>>
>>4243158
>The SNES version was probably a hackjob.
It was. The translator was some Japanese Square employee whose English wasn't the best, and while it got touched up a bit by some native English speaking editors, the script is still full of horrendous English.
>>
>>4243158
>The SNES version was probably a hackjob. They might not have enough windows assigned to fit all the text.
That was extremely common back in the day. Translations had to make due with the text boxes that were there, and this often led to chunks of dialogue having to be truncated because there just wasn't enough space for a proper, accurate translation that included everything from the original lines.

I saw a comparison between Kefka's first lines in the original FF6 and the official SNES translation a while ago, and while it started out accurate enough, towards the end it very noticeably left a bit of a line out, and it was extremely obvious it was done because the translator ran out of space.
>>
>>4237478
The well that "looks really deep". I thought it was kind of obvious...

I am having a blast in this area and just made it to the tower that was being attacked, found the save point near the top so I can assume I have a boss fight coming up!
>>
>>4243120
I found it interesting. I like that it's snatches of overheard conversations. In English it's an exposition dump and dumb conversation with Cecil. The crew having misgivings and muttering about it is believable, while the English is theatrical.
>>
>>4243445
>I like that it's snatches of overheard conversations
It's just lines that cut out the contextually understood bits. This is super common in Japanese.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.