[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playstation Mega Thread Time!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

I don't see any sort of PSX thread, so I started one. It was time. Psx discussions involving mods/games/hardware etc.

I have a few scph 1001. One was obtained used years ago. It works great, plays burned cds AND has the updated graphics.

I have another old scph 1001 that I purchased new, which has not worked in years. Today I finally got a laser assembly that both worked and was correct and got it plugged in. It works FLAWLESSLY. It is reading discs that are totally scratched. Passes all tests. However, It WILL NOT read any of the backups I have tried. I remember reading about laser settings, but would I need to adjust things to make it read CD-r? I don't know if this unit has the newer graphic chip, and my 3 games don't really push it graphically.
>>
>>4233326
i hate the playstation~
>>
>>4233326
What do you mean by "updated graphics?"
>>
>>4233442
I think this might be a bait thread he also used "PSX" right at the beginning.
>>
File: everyone called it the psx.jpg (3MB, 1784x6512px) Image search: [Google]
everyone called it the psx.jpg
3MB, 1784x6512px
>>4233442
>What do you mean by "updated graphics?"
Most of the scph 1001 models had an "inferior" graphics that caused color banding for shading. Mine is both an original AND has this updated graphics chip. I don't know all the specifics, but it has something to do with changes made in revision c of the PSX lifespan. Video supplied for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKjcxCuRfM

>>4233447
>I think this might be a bait thread he also used "PSX" right at the beginning.
Don't be a goof. I have been calling PSX outloud for years. Everyone has called it PSX from day one. I don't care what you want to call it, but don't apply your meme logic to my vernacular.

There is no other Playstation/PSX thread. I had questions. The last psx thread lasted quite a few days.
>>
>>4233326
Open the used one up, is it modded? Are you doing the swap trick or is it chipped?
>>
>>4233530
I'm sure it's chipped and he doesn't know it. Considering that, I'd really like to see the board. I feel like he also just doesn't notice the banding.
>>
>>4233326
People rarely talk about the PSX here, almost nobody had one, I would like to buy one to be honest
We can talk about the Playstation if you want
>>
>>4233568
>almost nobody had one
It's a fucking PlayStation and it or its games get threads frequently.
>>
>>4233326

>has the updated graphics

what does he mean by this
>>
Grew up with it. No regrets, bretty gud/10 would reincarnate the same way
>>
>>4233578
>I don't see any sort of PSX thread, so I started one. It was time. Psx discussions involving mods/games/hardware etc.
Almost nobody had a PSX, not sure why you think you will find one here
>>
File: Im with the Band.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Im with the Band.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>4233530
>Open the used one up, is it modded? Are you doing the swap trick or is it chipped?
I've been using a game shark with UniROM to load my 3 backups. It works successfully 100% of the time on my "old faithful".

Some of the games "work". I have tried a few random copies, and they work fine on one unit, and simply not at all on the "new" unit. It reads CDs that are scratched to shit however. I bought it to resell, but now I am thinking about keeping it. I really surprised me how quickly it was loading OEM games.

>>4233537
>I'm sure it's chipped and he doesn't know it. Considering that, I'd really like to see the board. I feel like he also just doesn't notice the banding.
It is not chipped. I did forget to mention that I am using a gameshark to load games with UniROM. I didn't think it was relevant. The issue is that one psx with a 20 year old laser is reading cd-r media no prob, but the brand new lens reads games perfectly, but does not read most cd-r.

I certainly know where to find the banding, and this is the "issue". I use a copy of tomb raider to tell the difference. I have at least 6 of them that have a serial port. This is my first laser change, and though I am 100% happy that it reads games again I just remember reading an issue with adjusting pots and reading volts off the board for certain discs.

Pic related. Scph 1001 screenshot from tomb raider's 1st level right now.

You tell me. I don't see any banding. I can't get my other 1001 to run any cd-r well. Super puzzle fighter ran a-ok lol.

>>4233618
>what does he mean by this
I posted a video from the tube higher up in this thread explaining the banding issue in older psx models.

>>4233642
>Almost nobody had a PSX, not sure why you think you will find one here
LOL. I was working at a place that sold video games. I was there when the Saturn was hot shit. I enjoyed my company discount on every major revision to the PSX...what is worse is that I only like 3 games.
>>
File: 1319536028184.jpg (31KB, 250x253px) Image search: [Google]
1319536028184.jpg
31KB, 250x253px
Been playing CTR and Digimon World lately. Great games. DW especially benefits from being played on an emulator for the quick saves/loads and being able to speed up time. Prolly gonna play pic related next.
>>
>>4233679
>CTR
Impossibly ahead of the competition for best kart game.
>>
>>4233326
>but would I need to adjust things to make it read CD-r?
Samefag replying to myself.

I found this article about adjustments and readings. It was exactly what I was looking for, and wanted to share.

The laser in my 1001 is a 1002 laser. Hypothetically they should be identical, just one is for Europe region. I could not source one in the USA and ended up ordering from Germany. Again, best fix it I have done to the old psx yet.
>>
>>4233742
>this article
http://archive.is/Sk4rR

I am way too into my game to type lol.
>>
I'd like to learn more about hacking. I've been reading up on the console's architecture and processor.

What do you guys use for incremental disassembly of games? Older consoles I've seen people using IDA Pro which is what I have experience with, but not PSX apparently.
>>
>>4233442
>>4233447
http://wiki.psxdev.ru/index.php/PU-8

Interesting, OP. In response to your CD-R reading issues have you performed a full laser tweak (to include manual bias and gain adjustments) as documented on dogbreath.de?
>>
>>4234026
Shit, just noticed you had picked up on the three pot methodology above.

Apologies.
>>
Is the ps2 slim good for ps1 games, or is the fat one better?
I plan to use component mostly
>>
>>4234129
I have a slim and playing PS1 games would force me to slot in fucking PS1 memory cards. It's a massive pain in the ass. Also the video was pretty weird on my regular PS2 cable (component? svideo? I dont remember), had to switch to older 3-jack cable for it to work right, and when I wanted to play PS2 I'd have to change the cables again to get better image.

In the end I just downloaded a fucking emulator and forgot about playing PS1 games on the PS2. Both of my original PS1s died but PS2 was not the answer for me.
>>
>>4234026
>Interesting, OP. In response to your CD-R reading issues have you performed a full laser tweak (to include manual bias and gain adjustments) as documented on dogbreath.de?
I have not yet.

Bottom line. I am cheap AF. I own 2.5 PSX games that "survived the struggle"...somehow I managed to make it out with the pile of systems...but the games literally were flooded in the trunk of my car. Obviously what "survived" is a mixed bag....Chrono Cross and FF Tactics are beat up...Disc2 of Cross does not work. Tactics plays. I replaced tactics and also got a new copy of FFVII.
I own:

>FFVII
>FF Tactics (x2)
>Chrono Cross Disc 1

CD-R Tony Hawk works, no issue with gameshark.

I have not adjusted anything yet. It is playing games perfectly. It is random, but it is very very close in serial numbers to my "old faithful". They both say November 1996 on the bottom, but I don't know.....However, The 1001 model that certainly has no graphic banding serial number:
>859XXXX
The one that I haven't been able to tell yet
>852XXXX

I am sure I could compare boards, but I don't want to rip it apart any more. I don't own tomb raider.....I have not seen a visual difference in FF Tactics...would I see the banding in any of my other 1.5 games, and if so where would be a good place to look? I am a bit curious, as this is my oldest PSX and I was never aware of any of that banding problem ever.
>>
>>4234026
>http://wiki.psxdev.ru/index.php/PU-8
Well I'll be! The perfect Playstation!
>>
>>4233478
>calling PSX outloud for years
Yup, confirmed bait. And underage.
>>
>>4234226
I'd still take a 5xxx for the better laser placement, self-calibrating gain/bias and the cooler PSU but sure it's an improvement over the vanilla launch models.
>>
>>4235212
just stop.
>>
>>4235281
I guess I should say the perfect Playstation mainboard.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.