[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aladdin Genesis vs SNES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

Let's settle this once and for all. Which version of Aladdin was the better game?
http://www.strawpoll.me/13848206
>>
Seems like we got a winner already, lol.
>>
Proof that for all the bravado and bluster from Sega fanboys on /vr/, Nintendo is the side of the silent majority.
>>
We NEVER had this thread before. Btw Game Gear version was best.
>>
>>4234043
>silent majority
Tupkeck
>>
File: Aladdin idle desert.gif (53KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin idle desert.gif
53KB, 498x498px
Had both systems as a kid in the 90's. Aladdin for Genesis was seen, based on my memories, as the superior version. The technical achievement and visual of the sprites made from animation cells had wide appeal. Addressing the "no sword" SNES issue, I don't recall a single person calling that out.
>>
>>4234043
Wait 24 hours
>>
>>4234079
Yes, plenty of time for the sega kids to randomize their IPs enough to rig it.
>>
>>4234056
The graphics and animation were better, but like all Virgin games the gameplay was a floaty mess. The Capcom SNES version had tighter controls and it was just a blast to play. Plus the music was better.

I'm no SNES fanboy by the way, and I usually tend to side with Genesis versions of other games because the gameplay is usually tighter, but Aladdin dropped the ball.
>>
>>4234082
The classic fantasy filled mind of a drone
>>
>>4234089
The classic dismissal of the truth.
>>
>>4234043
It has nothing to do with being fanboys, or even being a Sega/Nintendo fan.
The Capcom game is the better designed game, while the Virgin one only has sprite animations going for it.
>>
Top Tier:
SIMS Aladdin

High Tier:
Capcom Aladdin

Mid Tier:
Virgin Aladdin

Low Tier:
Argonaut Aladdin

Shit Tier:
Tiger Aladdin
>>
>Mikami, who served as a designer on the platformer while at Capcom, said he has a preference for the Sega Genesis version — the one he didn't work on.

>"If I didn't actually make [the SNES game], I would probably buy the Genesis one,"
>>
The Genesis is SO shit at most genres and games, they have to try and claim a victory on some multiplat licensed game

Genefags are so dogmatic that they won't even entertain the idea of the SNES version being the better game.
>>
both are pretty mediocre tbqh, why not world of illusion vs magical quest 3 instead?
>>
>>4234104
>tries to downplay the video aspect of video game
It's true, I've found infants have a tough time with the Genesis controller.
>>
They aren't even comparable because they're nowhere close to being the same game.
>>
>>4234257
?
>>
>>4234146
When reading that interview, Mikami only praises the game for the same thing we all know: the sprite animations.
He also says the reason he "would have bought the MD version" is because he liked the Genie the best, but for some copyright reasons, Genie couldn't be on the cover of the SFC version of Aladdin.
Although honestly, it's kind of silly because Genie isn't on the japanese cover of MD Aladdin either. So Mikami was comparing the US cover of MD Aladdin to the JP cover of SFC Aladdin, because the US version of SNES Aladdin has Genie on the cover. I wonder if he's aware of that.
Anyway, Dave Perry responded:
>"I'm really biased as we made the original game and got Disney to deliver the animation," he said. "So I'd flip the quote, 'If I didn't actually make the Genesis version I'd probably buy the SNES one.'"
These silly devs being polite to each other.
>>
>>4234443
Don't editorialize, say Genesis when appropriate.
>>
>>4233320
i didn't really like the sword because you had to get close to the enemies to hit them with it which usually made u hit them
>>
>>4234476
sorry i meant they would hit you and you would loos a heart
>>
>>4234043
Nah snes fags are just man babies that never grew the fuck up and still think they're in 5th grade, due to the nature of nintendo games and the betas it attracted they also gravitate always to easier games then claim it's better. Both are great games but the genesis outshines it comfortably.

>>4234185
Honestly the opposite is true, even irl i've ever met a genny fanboy as an adult but snes still has fucking loads and they're star wars tier beta obsessed and ironically nearly all star wars fans to. Nintendo is the eternal infants choice.
>>
>>4234476
Thus you have a fucking throwable weapon to ie the apples, not the games fault that you're so unintelligent you can't muster basic obvious strategies. Both games are easy anyway.
>>
>>4234043
>the silent majority.
Now this is shitposting
>>
File: know-your-aladdins.jpg (156KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
know-your-aladdins.jpg
156KB, 1000x600px
>>4233320
>>
>>4234503
>Nah snes fags are just man babies that never grew the fuck up and still think they're in 5th grade
...says the fag still fighting about ancient consoles wars 30 years later on fucking 4chan. get some self awareness there m8
>>
>>4234621

Did the developers ever say why he didn't have a sword in the SNES version? Was it just a design choice because in the movie he never really has a sword as weapon either or had it really to do something with Nintendo and "Muh chillren!"? In other words could they have given him one if they wanted?
>>
>>4233320
The Genesis version sold twice as much on a console with half the install base.
>>
>>4234697

it's so out of character to have Aladdin with the sword

Capcom version is more sneak thief that he was
>>
>>4234676
>oh i'm so above this
gtfo /vr/ then nintencuk
>>
>>4234735
This. SNES is a better adaptation of the source material (except for the random dude-middle-east-has-pyramids-lmao level), but the Genesis version is simply more fun and exuberant
>>
>>4234471
Shuddup
>>
>>4233320
New original game
Or
Shitty Prince of Persia ripoff

Hard choice.
>>
>>4234778
>SNES is a better adaptation of the source material

Except that it doesn't look the part, and Aladdin does thief gymnastics in the movie for something like 3 minutes total.
>>
File: 1485277460393.gif (449KB, 188x138px) Image search: [Google]
1485277460393.gif
449KB, 188x138px
Al also does acrobatics on the Virgin game. I mean, it takes a special kind of skill to be able to go through solid objects or bounce in mid-air so hard that you make a camel you haven't even touched squash.
>>
File: AgrabahRooftops_MD.jpg (101KB, 960x560px) Image search: [Google]
AgrabahRooftops_MD.jpg
101KB, 960x560px
>Virgin one only has sprite animations going for it
>>
>>4234898
Moreso than using a FUCKING SWORD in the last act of the movie (which he ultimately never does anything with)
>>
File: Level_1-1.jpg (563KB, 3311x591px) Image search: [Google]
Level_1-1.jpg
563KB, 3311x591px
>the better designed game
>>
File: Aladdin-Level5-CaveOfWonders.png (335KB, 3500x986px) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin-Level5-CaveOfWonders.png
335KB, 3500x986px
>>4234990
The first level of Virgin Aladdin isn't so bad, but it still has that traditionally western "maze-like" level design, there are worse offenders though, like pic related.
>>4234998
This being 1-1 is the simplest level of the game, but I already like how it's more streamlined (while still having also an upper route you can take).

But level design in Capcom Aladdin really shines on the later half, the genie, pyramid/sand and palace levels are great platforming experiences.
>>
Genesis all day nibba
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.