[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

King's Field

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 12

File: 37072-King's_Field_[U]-1.jpg (75KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
37072-King's_Field_[U]-1.jpg
75KB, 1024x768px
This game.

Everything about it is so obtuse but I cant put it down. The atmosphere, the loneliness, the horrors that await just beyond the foggy darkness. Its oddly intense in an archaic way.

Tell me I'm not the only one who enjoyed this gem.
>>
File: backnforth.gif (2MB, 500x466px) Image search: [Google]
backnforth.gif
2MB, 500x466px
1-2-3, 1-2-3, the dance of DEATH
>>
>>4232872

it's one of my favorite games OP, I'll never stop singing its praises.
>>
>>4232872
That early 3D creepiness really worked in its favor. In a lot of ways it's much uglier than the game that inspired it.
>>
>>4232872
It could have been a great game were it not for the artificial difficulty and trial and error gameplay.
>>
>>4233128
>artificial difficulty
Kill yourself back to /v/
>>
How do you get MP in this game? I used all my magic up on the first few guys assuming I would get item drops or it would regen but no luck.
>>
File: King's Field JP.jpg (110KB, 500x506px) Image search: [Google]
King's Field JP.jpg
110KB, 500x506px
>>4232872
Yeah funny I had just finished searching for a copy for my espsxe collection far it's great just got past the first floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxCAdLg8tXk
>>
>>4233293
Use the Fountains that spew magic water m8
>>
>>4233293

from the dragon fountain after the rhombus key doors, placing a dragon stone in the southernmost pedestal activates a red water stream which fills mp. Fill your flasks if you want.
>>
>>4233317
Is the first game much harder than the american release?

>>4233318
>>4233335
Thanks for the tips
>>
>>4232872
Arx Fatalis > any Fromsoft RPG
>>
>>4233318
you gotta drink that golden dragon piss
>>
>12 fps
>no music

wish someone could patch it to be GUD
>>
>>4233829

Ultima Underworld > Arx Fatalis
>>
Taking another shot at it since the last time I played it I stopped while I was in the mines.

Remind me, do you find the thing to open the pirate's waterfall in the starting area? Because I could've sworn I opened it before I reached the village the first time I played but I can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>4234137
I beat that blockade monster by getting hind him and patterning him for like 10 minutes if I recall correctly
>>
>>4234141
Same. But I don't mean that monster, I mean the waterfall with the skeletons. Unless the pirate's key or whatever it is is behind that octopus monster and I've forgotten since then.
>>
>>4234143
oh sorry, I don't remember that part too well.
>>
>>4233829
>saving anywhere you want
>>
>>4232872
the wildly inconsistent framerate kills it for me.
>>
How is SoM KF compared to the original?
>>
>>4233746
>Is the first game much harder than the american release?
The first game didn't get an US release, so they started numbering the games from the second. King's Field US is actually King's Field 2 JP.
You should play the first game too, it's much more claustrophobic and obtuse but if you enjoyed the second you'll probably enjoy the first one as well. I wouldn't say it's harder, they're probably just as difficult. I liked it a lot, though I played it before the second.
>>
>>4234127
>no music
What the fuck? Were you playing with a broken CD? The creepy atmospheric music is one of the best parts of KF2.
>>
>>4234127
>12 fps
Ugly.
>>
I tried everything and I still can't run it on PSP
>>
>>4234864
I only played KF 1 and I dont think there is music
>>
>>4234964
Kings Field 1 works on psp, thats how I beat it

Look up the compatibility of it on google
>>
It so easy to get lost in this game fuk
>>
You're not the only one, the first 3 of these games were all amazing, each on building off the one before, until you get Shadow Tower, which has to be the best and scariest of the lot. Then they came out with King's Field 4 for the PS2 and holy shit, they took all the great things from the previous games and added some of the new features that were added in ST to make one of the best PS2 games at the time. The PSP, King's Field Additional I & II, are both pretty good but the movement is more akin to old school Wizardry, and has a pretty weak combat system: you block which uses up stamina, but you also use stamina to attack, and most of the battle is block, charge, attack, charge, magic. The main problem though is that you need to go to the camp screen to change equipment, and since battles are random, you get stuck with some random enemy that is flying and you'll have a dagger - luckily by this time you'll at least have a basic fire or wind cutter spell (you can only carry 10 arrows at a time). But the point remains, the battle is pretty annoying at lower levels because you're going to constantly get your ass handed to you. I still really enjoyed both of them, but of course you have to be able to read JP at leas an intermediate level to even understand a bit of the story.
>>
>>4234283
>framerate
you're on the wrong board
>>
>>4235047
?
>>
>>4235130
He thinks people don't care about having solid 30/60FPS.

Just point at him and laugh.
>>
>>4234972
>>4234127
There definitely was music in King's Field 1 JP. Each floor had a different theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpbevbQrPxE
>>
>>4232872
>Tell me I'm not the only one who enjoyed this gem.
Nope, you're not a special snowflake. Plenty of us enjoy KF.
>>
File: YOU DIED no audio.webm (848KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
YOU DIED no audio.webm
848KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>4235421
those skeles have no chill
>>
What is the best way I can play this game?
>>
>>4235482
Playstation with CRT.
>>
>>4235493
The CRT scanlines definitely break up some of the funny repeating textures
>>
File: KF3_JAP_Cover_Front.jpg (86KB, 641x650px) Image search: [Google]
KF3_JAP_Cover_Front.jpg
86KB, 641x650px
Where's the love for the third game? King's Field is much more fun when it's not a cramped corridor simulator.

>>4235482
PS1 with S-video on a standard-definition LCD TV. CRT with composite is too blurry.
>>
>>4235482
It plays pretty authentically on Mednafen, run it on a CRT monitor with a playstation controller, enable scanlines and you're golden.
>>
>>4235482
You'll have to use savestates with the first game, as saving normally crashes the game on emulators. Or so it did with mine anyways.
>>
>>4234972
You're probably thinking of Shadow Tower
>>
>>4234358
Has anybody worked with Sword of Moonlight?
Are there other scenarios aside from the remake of 1 or has anybody tried to make their own?
>>
>>4236605
I have not played any myself but it looks like there are some completed games here:
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/games/
>>
>>4235482
I played it on PCSX-Reloaded in 1080p with the widescreen hack on and Halo control scheme. I regret nothing.
>>
>>4234137
>Remind me, do you find the thing to open the pirate's waterfall in the starting area?

You do, but it's in a locked chest. You have to return to the starting area later to open it and get behind the waterfall.

>>4235902
I really like KF3, but some of the large outdoor environments are pretty boring. The area around the second village you reach is the biggest offender that I recall: it's just a huge open field with some plant monsters wandering around. There are no secrets to find, no interesting bits of scenery or interesting landmarks, and no hazards outside of a crevasse at the edge of the map. The "cramped corridors" are much more memorable and fun to explore.
>>
File: kingsfieldogjap.png (408KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kingsfieldogjap.png
408KB, 1920x1080px
I don't know how the fuck to beat this shithead. The sword swing is more awkward and shitty than in the Elder Scrolls games and he just kills my ass errytiem
>>
>>4236924
git gud
>>
>>4236929
Ha ha, but for real, how do I play this bullshit?
>>
>>4236936
I have only played KF2, but to fight skeletons I waited until I had a decent weapon like a mace and used the usual "strafe around and hit them on the back or side".
>>
I don't like buying retro online and I've never seen a copy of King's Field in person. I do own King's Field 2 though and I've played the first few hours. It's pretty great and I look forward to finishing it one day. How does it compare to the first game though? Would playing them out of order make it harder to go back mechanics wise?

>>4233120
>In a lot of ways it's much uglier than the game that inspired it.

Which game is that?
>>
>>4235294

Modern gamers care about framerate, retro gamers do not. Stunt Race FX is a good game.
>>
>>4236969
Ultima Underworld.
>>
>>4236939
Seems like everything requires a "decent weapon". I can't find shit
>>
>>4236614
Is there a site for Japanese modules?
>>
>>4237021
Are you waiting until you have full stamina before hitting?
>>
>>4237021
Its all about timing and picking your fights. Skeletons have a habit of turning against a wall like a retard after you dodge a few attacks. Just get behind him and bash the shit out of him.
>>
Whats a good technique for killing ghosts in the first american release?
>>
>>4237113
Use a reflector shield or a well timed bomb.
>>
>>4236924
Yo yo yo! It's the skelly!!!
>>
I'm interested in trying this game, but not sure if I'd stick around if it was too hard. Are these games difficult or casul?
>>
>>4237327
Nah, they're pretty easy
>>
>>4237345
>King's Field
>casual gaming
hue
>>
File: itsybitsy.png (395KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
itsybitsy.png
395KB, 1920x1080px
I thought this thing was remote controlled
>>
>>4233829
>comparing two completly different styles of RPGs
>>
>>4237113
In the beginning since you have limited magic, just let them follow you until they hit their AI wall and you can wack them all you want from a safe distance.
>>
>>4237350

"Casual" may be going too far, but I think KF's reputation as brutal is undeserved. If you go out of your way to grind and upgrade equipment as early as possible, you shouldn't have too much difficulty. Those giant swinging mace traps are about the only constant hazard in the series, as they shave off tons of HP. Grinding doesn't always help you there. But you can usually find secret switches to deactivate them.
>>
>>4237327
They start off being relatively difficult because you can be killed in a few hits by anything, your weapon has terrible reach, and it takes some experimentation to figure out how to approach different enemies. The difficulty levels off quite a bit once you get some half-way decent equipment, though. The games are much more focused on exploration than combat.

>>4237113
I generally found it best not to try circling them, because that leads to them flying around unpredictably. If you position yourself correctly, they'll end up just slightly in front of you after their rush attack, leaving you with enough time to land a hit and back off. As usual, this is a lot easier with a weapon that has some reach.
>>
>>4235294
>>>/v/
>>
>>4236936
You'll want to turn off that filter and fix your aspect ratio for starters.
>>
>>4232872
>Tell me I'm not the only one

You're not.
Every fucking soulsbro has played it.
>>
>>4239497
This is the best example of a redditor poorly disguising themselves that I've ever seen. Congrats, you can go back now.
>>
>>4239649
>not knowing how >>> works
>still pretending to not be a redditor
this is more sad than anything
>>
Should I buy the maps from the merchants? Will they help me in any meaningful way?
>>
>>4232872
Why is the frame rate so fucking abominably disgustingly low in such an ugly game?
>>
File: 1504136850177.jpg (39KB, 589x425px) Image search: [Google]
1504136850177.jpg
39KB, 589x425px
>>4239696
The first console I've used was the SNES and ps1, medievil, spyro or silent hill didn't force me to play at 8 frames per second every time 2 ugly snails start battling me in some ugly and simplistic corridor. Come on. I like this game but the optimisation is liquid steamy shit

I'm just asking if it's possible to fix that mess
>>
>>4234127
>no music
Can you tell me what shitty emulator you used to play this so I can know not to use it?
>>
>>4239721
To be honest the music of king field 1 is pretty bad and ruin the immersion for me so I turn it off

I dunno for kf 2, I want to finish the first one before trying the other.
>>
File: nothing_important.png (301KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nothing_important.png
301KB, 1920x1080px
this is how i'm starting to feel about this game
>>
File: TTQjXhP_d.jpg (29KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
TTQjXhP_d.jpg
29KB, 640x360px
>>4239883
Nothing is important
>>
>>4239883
>16:9
That's also how I feel about your extra chromosome.
>>
>>4239883
The game is pretty sparse. You basically explore and conquer one dungeon. Pretty good dungeon though.

Shadow Tower does the concept a lot better, it's pretty hard to go from Shadow Tower back to the first King's Field.
>>
>>4239714
this, it's not the fact that the pace of the game is overall low, but that the game speed keeps jumping between 30% and 200% depending on which part of the room you're looking at.
>>
How is this game different from shadow tower?
>>
>>4240342
They're pretty similar. I would say that the King's Field games generally have better environments/exploration and atmosphere, whereas Shadow Tower has better enemies and resource management. If you enjoy one, you will almost certainly enjoy the other.
>>
>>4232872
you realize this was also made by fromsoft, the dudes behind dark souls and demon souls and bloodborne and shit right? this is legit their predecessor, alot of people liked those game and it makes sense to like these as well.
These guys just simply put make good games.
>>
>>4237041
Probably, but I'm not aware of it
>>
>>4239689
I used them on occasion but not too frequently. Your call
>>
i want to get into it, but its just so fucking painfully slow moving
>>
>>4237041
>>4240693
Well, I tried searching for you but didn't come up with any sites. I did find two games that worked:

Angel Tower
http://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/win95/game/fh357669.html

and

The Tower of Babel
http://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/win95/game/fh286980.html

I don't know any Japanese so I couldn't tell you anything about the games.

If you want to do your own searching then try using ソード オブ ムーンライト (Sōdo Obu mūnraito)
>>
>>4232872
It's pretty amazing.

The original (that only ever got a Japanese PS1 release - U.S. KF1 is Japanese KF2) got a Windows remake along with a 3D King's Field RPG Maker.

Both received an unofficial English translation that can be found here: http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/
>>
I played it for the first time a few years ago and I enjoyed it immensely. Immediately became one of my all-time favorite games. It must have been the first time in 20 years that I was drawing a map again. I haven't had that much fun with a video game in maybe 10 years
>>
>>4241972
Seems like I should be drawing my own maps
>>
>>4236924
Use your magic to disrupt its attacks and get some easy physical hits in.

It is easily the strongest enemy at this point in the game and you get a free shield after, whats not to like?
>>
>>4242996
You will eventually find a few maps in game
>>
>>4243252
That kind of killed it for me, I was having lots of fun drawing the map and then the game just hands one to me.
>>
I honestly think the only real problem with this game aside from the framerate (which is tolerable considering the pace) is the horribly slow turn speed. It's a shame you can't turn it up.
>>
Jesus Christ this game is fucking ugly. Those weapon swinging animations, lmao...
>>
>>4239494
>Every fucking soulsbro has played it.
You are very delusional
>>
>>4232872
Play Echo Night 1 and 2 as well while you're at it. Those are even better games.
>>
>>4244097
>the horribly slow turn speed

I only recently picked up on the series, although I've completed all four of the mainline games at this point. The tank controls and cumbersome turning never bothered me. Liberal use of strafing while turning helps here. You'll learn to zoom through corners in no time.
>>
Played the first game (JP) on a PS emulator.

Besides sloughin through the start of the game I found the rest decent enough and the atmosphere made it better. 1-2-3 fighting I could deal with, moving ultra-slow once you know you are mid-way through the game not so much.

Had to cheese that final boss tho. Found it hard to get the timing on the magic until I was facing it.
>>
>>4244518

KF2 and 3 are faster thanks to the ability to run. But running drains your stamina pretty quickly, making it more difficult to run right into a fray of enemies and start attacking.

The stamina mechanic is pretty interesting. Some equipment (mostly weapons) will increase or decrease the charging interval. Much later in the games, you'll be able to get your hands on equipment that makes stamina recharge in maybe 1 or 2 seconds.
>>
>>4244135
>hasn't played it
>not a true soulsbro

You're not even on our level, newfag.
>>
Haven't tried the early Kings Field games but I'm playing Eternal Ring now and having a lot of fun
>>
>>4246135
Tell us how that goes, I've never heard anything good about Eternal Ring but I've also never had any hands-on contact with it.

I should get back to Evergrace sometime, speaking of early PS2 From. Kinda weird game with a uniquely weird OST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm17vgmh854
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJbuHUbw8k

The shop theme feels like it'd be a lot more at home in a bustling and chaotic marketplace than the simple storefront it's used for in-game.
>>
>>4246135
I need to get around to trying Eternal Ring some time. I enjoyed all the King's Field and Shadow Tower games.
>>
Are there any other lesser known /vr/ and non-/vr/ games with similar gameplay/atmosphere, other than the other FromSoft games and the Ultima Underworld/Arx Fatalis series?
I've seen some gameplay of Hungry Ghosts and it looked kind of similar, unfortunately it is entirely in japanese.
>>
>>4246159
not him but, Eternal Ring feels more like King's Field light
>>
>>4246186
Maybe try Shadowgate 64
>>
File: Echo Night 2 Controls.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Echo Night 2 Controls.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>4244137
MY NIGGA
Discovering King's Field led me to discovering Echo Night 2, I absolutely fell in love with it, cleared it 100%, followed suit with EN1. Can't express my love for these games enough.
Have you played Beyond? I have not but desperately want to.
>>
>>4245802
I've beaten two of them, 2 and 4, I'm just saying that most Souls "fans" are probably not even aware this series exists
>>
>>4246159

EverGrace is an obvious beta that was rushed out as a launch title, but it's a pretty enjoyable game overall. Don't expect the same gameplay and atmosphere as KF though. In fact, the game has blatantly incomplete areas.

It also has a sequel: http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/forever-kingdom

>>4246186

I'm going to assume you know about Shadow Tower since that's already been mentioned in this thread. I want to say Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, even though it's third-person. It has a dark, brooding atmosphere and an open world.
>>
>>4246159
>I've never heard anything good about Eternal Ring but I've also never had any hands-on contact with it.
Well, Eternal Ring has true 60fps, some pretty colors in overworld, music is really good. I've only seen the beginning though.

-another-anon
>>
>>4246186
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor has VERY similar atmosphere (also them catacombs are GIGANTIC), but it's isometric and turn-based, so no similarity in terms of gameplay.

Dat atmosphere though.
>>
>>4246186
Also, An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire. Just listen to its OST on youtube. Also, the level-design, layout-wise, in this game is surprisingly good.
>>
>>4246491
Yeah and it's also one of the buggiest games to ever be released.

>buy new game
>can't even play because of shitstorm of bugs
>uninstall and return to store
>uninstall deletes important computer files
>computer is fucked

Yeah don't play this game, it had the right idea, but what it did was just have a rushed half assed game that would fuck itself up and then fuck your shit up
>>
>>4246186
Baroque is a really good one, it's not as easy as you would think it to be as you have to play through the game numerous times to get the actual story, items, etc.

But seriously if you haven't played King's Field The Ancient City you need to play it now. It's definitely the best out of the whole series.

>>4240813
Both of these are pretty boring and some parts of them aren't complete. Then again they may have been updated since I haven't play either of those in 3-4 years.
>>
>>4246550
Yeah, well, no. I played the patched version of the game - and apart from some glitches in the very end of the game, in the drow levels of second set of catacombs, I don't remember any noticeable glitches.
>>
>>4246550
Also, it's nearly not the only game with the uninstall bug. Myth 2, for example, had a very similar bug in it - and I don't see it mentioned in this context nearly as often, as RoMD is.
>>
>>4246417
>being a souls "fan" is the same as being a soulsbro

Do you even Souls, bro?
>>
>>4235902

I find III so boring, so amazingly boring, it's hard for me to play. It's just big and empty, and especially coming off of how great 2 is it's hard to stomach.
>>
>>4246361

Definitely agree with this, this game is an underrated adventure game.
>>
>>4234964
No PSX games I downloaded were running on my PSP until I converted them myself. Try doing the PSX to PSP conversion, not downloading a PSP ready ROM.
>>
>>4246641
It's not because Bungie actually pulled the game to fix the problem at their own cost
>>
>>4244657
As I said I liked KF1 enough to eventually give a try to KF2 and ST. That atmosphere is not that common lately.

Its good to know that there is at least an option to speed up. I am sure that at least in KF1 the total time reduces by 2 hours if you could have been able to go a little bit faster. Thank god for the several warp points and shortcuts you eventually find.
>>
>>4234964
>>4248170

The emuparadise PSX2PSP eboots all work fine on 6.61 PRO. Are you using relatively recent CFW?
>>
>>4246135
It's good but ends early. Do the extra dungeon if you can
>>
I wish I had a psp or something to emulate these games, they're kinda comfy in their own way.
>>
>>4250806
really makes you wonder what gave them such a retro feel
>>
>>4246397
I tried emulating Beyond but it doesn't emulate well on PCSX2 unfortunately. But I'd love to play it. maybe there will be a better way to play it in the future because I'm not buying a PS2 for that or even a PS4 just to hack and emulate.

also, yeah, great games, I had a blast playing Echo Night 1 first and 2 later because /vr/ was having a thread once the english fan patch came out in, I don't remember, 2015 probably.
Thread posts: 133
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.