[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro Games based on Anime/Manga series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 34

File: hqdefault.jpg (54KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
54KB, 480x360px
So I've been playing this Ranma 1/2 RPG and I gotta say, it's not half bad. Soundtrack is pretty dope. the characters are fun although it just follows your typical JRPG fighting system formula (like early FF games for the most part).

But it's charming indeed since you can use the bucket of cold watter and the kettle with hot water to reach areas where you couldn't go otherwise. to me, the game feels a bit similar to Mystical Ninja and Brave Fencer Musashi aesthetically, despite being a Super Nintendo game. there is an english fan translation and there are 2 versions, 1 based on the anime and 1 based on the manga. I don't exactly know what the difference is supposed to be. I only noticed dialogue and translation differences.

I played the Ranma fighting games as well and they were rather short but alright as well. A modern Ranma 1/2 game would literally be everything imo.

What other good anime/manga based retro games do you know?
>>
>>4232017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV50c_oM6FE

Here's a video list of some good ones for the Playstation.

If you see one you want to check out but can't figure out what it is let me know and I'll try to help you.
>>
>>4232032

oh, I forgot to mention the two ratings at the left. The top one is for a general audience, and the bottom rating is for fans of the series. So for instance he only gives Ghost in the Shell 2 stars on just its merits as a game by itself, but 5 stars if you're a Ghost in the Shell fan.
>>
>>4232032
>>4232037

all japanese but gonna watch those. very helpful. thanks, dude.
>>
Vampire Hunter D on PS1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwCWyOTs2R8

great game
>>
>>4232050
I've only played a little of it, but the camera angles are maddening. It's like every time the camera changes angles it's designed to disorient, change directions, or obscure the player's vision which makes fighting monsters a massive pain in the ass.

I haven't really played any Resident Evil-style pre-rendered games. Is this supposed to be considered a feature? Because it's really obnoxious.
>>
>>4232050
ah yes,
I had that one on my to-play-list for a long time and I never did it. might check it out today.
>>
File: 1401364417581.jpg (15KB, 254x209px) Image search: [Google]
1401364417581.jpg
15KB, 254x209px
>>4232032
Not OP, but this channel is awesome. Thanks for this.
>>
Hokuto no Ken is quite the looker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbAGnuUnHk4
>>
>>4232017
btw forgot to post the video which reviews the Ranma 1/2 RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbnSvBwtVoc

pretty interesting for those who don't know the series or know it well and would like to see more of the series on a different medium.

very cool suggestions so far otherwise, keep em coming!
>>
>>4232017
I had to admit that I lol'd upon finding out that A) most of Genma's attacks are just holding signs or running like a chickenshit coward(big surprise), and that B) the 'auto battle' has both sides just dogpiling in a dust cloud and randomly getting tossed out.
As you say OP, pretty fun game, particularly with the cold water/hot water mechanic.
>>
>>4232132
>running like a chickenshit coward(big surprise)

yeah, this was the anything goes - martial arts: secret technique taught by Genma in the anime as well. just run from your enemy until you can come up with a better plan. Was funny as hell once you actually see him preparing for it with a battle stance first. it found its way into the game for comedic effect and works better than the regular run feature in battle. It's cool that the Ranma series does have so many instances for techniques that would make for great features in the games.

came across this video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzN8B4usZDg

all Ranma games on Super Famicom,
covered by JewWario (may he rest in peace ;_;).
>>
There are too many of them to list here.
What genre are you interested in?
>>
>>4232334
mostly any sort of RPG.

I'm also open to (Action-) Adventure games but also Jump 'n' Run because they are easier and quicker to get into.
>>
File: Gundam Wing Endless Duel.jpg (141KB, 580x1030px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam Wing Endless Duel.jpg
141KB, 580x1030px
I never watched Mobile Suit Gundam Wing but this game is really cool.
https://youtu.be/vywM1GzRb0s
>>
>>4232340
Are you interested in game based on anime you haven't seen/manga you haven't read?
Generally I'd recommend just checking Wikipedia whether titles you liked had games.
>>
>>4232121

That turd mispronouncing Ranma bothered me more than it should.
>>
File: Best Sakura.jpg (706KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Best Sakura.jpg
706KB, 1440x1080px
>>4232017
What I could think of is that there's 0 games of her released in the west. Couldn't tell if they're any good or not (I've only played the reversi minigame on the GBC version).
>Also, she has her own GBC, which is a rarity.
>>
>>4232440
Surprisingly they released stuff like the Cobra or Golgo 13 games.
In some cases they altered story or graphics to appeal to Americans or avoid extra licensing like Mashin Eyiuden Wataru on the PC-Engine becoming Keith Courage on the Turbografx-16 or Hokuto no Ken on Mk3 becoming Black Belt on the SMS. Even Ranma on the SFC became Street Combat on the SNES.
>>
>>4232340
Dr. Slump for the playstation is pretty amazing but dialogue heavy.
There are 3 Go Go Ackman for the Snes. All pretty enjoyable and great looking platformers. No idea why they decided to make a series of games based on a one shot by Toriyama, but I guess he was so popular people didn't give a shit.
Crayon Shin-chan has a lot of games on lots of systems. Half of them are bad RPGs with minigames. But the other half are a bunch of great platformers.
There's a popular Hunter x Hunter game which is a Castlevania clone (a pretty good one) called Kindan no Hihou.
There are a lot more but those are the ones I remember right now.
>>
>>4232351
sure. I'm always up for getting to know new series.
>>
>>4232463
cool. will check out Hunter X Hunter and Dr. Slump for sure.
>>
>>4232150
Oh yeah, I know...I read enough of the manga to get about 90% of the 'in-jokes'. It also helped when I was trying to figure out whether a new move was worth using or not. Genma's just kept surprising me, and after a while, I tossed him from the lineup unless forced to use him.

As for other suggestions:
Mobile Suit Gundam 0079: Rise From the Ashes is a DC game that actually made it to the West. If you haven't played it already, I HIGHLY recommend doing so(takes place in Australia, during the latter part of the One Year War). It's a strategy FPS type of game where you play looking out of your mobile suit(can get really intense in pitched battles).

SNES got several Gundam games beyond Endless Duel, like >>4232350 pointed out. There was F91, Cross Dimension 0079 and Z: Away to the Newtype, along with Victory Gundam. Victory was weak(sidescroller shoot/beat em up), but the other three used much the same interface of tile strategy RPG. If you know the series, you won't miss out on the dialogue(AFAIK, none have been translated). I would recommend them to see what new stuff the Japanese were putting into their genres.
>>
The Sailor Moon RPG is breddy gud for the SFamicom
>>
>>4232017
I really like the Magic Knight Rayearth games on the SNES and Saturn. They're both very basic but they're comfy.

Pretty much all the Sailor Moon on the SNES are pretty decent too. The RPG truly has some wasted potential gameplay-wise, but it's still pretty fun. The only "bad" one is Kurukkurin which is definitely the one with the lowest budget. The balloon games are really fun.
>>
>>4232862
I love the SuperS fighting game.
>>
>>4232581
I'm a pretty big Macross fan and I played several of them (Do you remember Love? which is a side-scrolling shoot em up mecha game on PS1 and of course Macross VFX-2 on PS1 also.) so the Gundam games you posted are up there on my list. I'm looking forward to check them out. So thanks for the suggestions.

I also just remembered the Record of Lodoss War games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZC5B6VmARA

this one is on the Dreamcast and from what I know it is some sort of Diablo clone. Very interesting. I never played it but it looks really cool.

https://www.giantbomb.com/record-of-lodoss-war/3025-1923/games/

there is a list of the games for Lodoss War.
there was also an SRPG on the Super Famicom which was similar to the Ogre Battle series if I remember correctly. I actually played that one. Was pretty good. there is some fan translation in english too.
>>
>>4232391
dude, I know. it just screams at you, coming from the very first sentence he says.

however, the review is still fine.
>>
File: Macross SFC.jpg (442KB, 1148x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Macross SFC.jpg
442KB, 1148x1000px
>>4233451
>I'm a pretty big Macross fan and I played several of them (Do you remember Love? which is a side-scrolling shoot em up mecha game on PS1 and of course Macross VFX-2 on PS1 also.)
Did you play Macross Scrambled Valkyrie on Super Famicom too? It's a great shmup.
>>
>>4233474
oh amazing. no, I didn't played it yet but I gotta see that. thanks, man. looks a bit like the Do you Remember Love? one actually.
>>
>>4233051
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnXZeAwBUps
>>
File: UYMDF_MegaCD_JP_Box_Front.jpg (914KB, 1390x1395px) Image search: [Google]
UYMDF_MegaCD_JP_Box_Front.jpg
914KB, 1390x1395px
>>4232017
best urusei yatsura game.
>>
>>4233528
I wish I knew this series by now. I haven't had the time. I know Ranma and Inu Yasha mostly. Very curious to check it out though.
>>
>>4233656
its my favorite series by Rumiko Takahashi, and the anime adaptation is well-produced thanks to ghost in the shell director Mamoru Oshii.
>>
File: UYx68k.jpg (88KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
UYx68k.jpg
88KB, 736x490px
>>4233528
For a popular as fuck series like UY, there's a strange lack of video games based on it.
I can only think of a few, and they're all VN-type except for the Famicom game which is an arcade platformer similar to games like Mappy or Flicky.
What makes you prefer the Mega CD game better than the rest? I haven't played it yet.
Have you played the DS one?

It's just weird that Super Famicom or Game Boy never got an UY game. I get that by the time these systems came out, UY was no longer new or at its popularity peak, but UY never really ceased to be popular in Japan.
>>
>>4232089
You'll have a hard time playing that on a PSP though since it freezes on the first level.
>>
>>4233794
Because its more of adventure game, not just a VN. You have an inventory and stuff, so there's tons of amusing things to mess around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n32B4Gzbn5I
>>
>>4232581
>Cross Dimension 0079
How do you even beat the second level at that game? Char is OP as fuck.
>>
>>4233451
I can't believe I forgot about the Lodoss games...Deedlit was my first elven crush.

Having played the DC version, I can say that if you liked Diablo, you'll like this too. The forging mechanic gets annoying and grindy though, so be forewarned. It's quite fun overall, though.
>>
>>4233992
>>4233451
Can you really consider Lodoss to be based on anime or manga? The computer games were one of the first things to come out, actually predating the commercial release of the TT rules.
>>
>>4234351
Is that so?
I never bothered checking that. I always just assumed the anime/manga came first.
>>
File: BShIz4JCEAA7XeG.jpg (66KB, 599x940px) Image search: [Google]
BShIz4JCEAA7XeG.jpg
66KB, 599x940px
>>4234495
1986年9月 - Begin of the D&D replay serialized in Comptiq magazine
1988年4月 - Novelization published by Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko
1988年9月 - First Computer game published for PC88 and others by Hummingbird.
1989年8月 - TT rules (Companion) by Comp/Collection
1990年6月 - Anime by Madhouse
1994年12月 - Manga by Yoshihiko Ochi published by Kadokawa
>>
File: 575043-ranma_ougi_jaanken_00035.png (12KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
575043-ranma_ougi_jaanken_00035.png
12KB, 256x224px
>>4232017
finished the Ranma fighiting game (Chougi Ranbu Hen) yesterday using Shampoo as a main. It's a lot better than Hard Battle which came out in the west afaik too.

finished the puzzle game (Ougi Jaanken) as well. It's pretty cool. kinda like Tetris but you need to place Rock Paper Scissor symbols on each other to clear all the blocks and rows. I still don't know what the green balls are supposed to do other than just clutter up the screen together with the purple balls.
>>
>>4234546
cool. thanks for letting us know, pham.
I typically don't memorize release dates when I barely even have the time to play the games.
>>
>>4234547
it's only strange that this fighting game has backgrounds from all over the world.

why do I have to fight Mousse somewhere in NYC for christ's sake? LOL.
>>
File: slayers-sfc-translaiton-1-02.png (14KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
slayers-sfc-translaiton-1-02.png
14KB, 256x197px
Slayers is pretty good.

http://projects.mattsmessyroom.com/slayers/
>>
>>4234553
heck yea.
>>
File: eva59034T.jpg (348KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
eva59034T.jpg
348KB, 1280x1280px
>>4234551
That's some nice background detail there.
>>
>>4234351
TBQH, it rarely matters, and only to the sticklers. I was unaware of that specificity, though I did know Lodoss had its roots in D&D novelization. Truth is, most everyone knows of Lodoss as its separate universe of anime/manga, and that should be enough.

>>4233810
The trick is to abuse the beginning of the mission to level up. Just sit back and use the Zaku's that arrive to grind and level up(to about 6 is recommended) while focusing on your Close Attack and Item stats. Once you get to 6, Char should be little trouble.
>>
>>4234551
>NYC

You sure that isn't Vegas?
>>
>>4235220
It's in Rome.
>>
>>4232017
Thank you for revealing to me this wonderful game. Going to play it tonight.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (36KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
36KB, 480x360px
>>4235220
that wasn't from my pic related before or do you see Mousse somewhere in the pic?

no, when you fight Mousse there is an american metropolis at night in the back and you can see the liberty statue as well, pic related.
>>
>>4235253
gee, no problem.
hope you're having fun with it, anon.
I'm not that far in but it's pretty cool.
Don't expect a total JRPG gem though because it just isn't. Solid standard retro game though.
>>
>>4235043
thanks, pham. I like it too. the backgrounds are very charming indeed. Even saw the Taj Mahal while fighting Kodachi.

it's sad they never localized the Chougi Ranbu Hen in the west. Hard Battle was localized but that one wasn't as good.

I did download the NGE 64 game a long time ago but I think I couldn't run it back then. gonna watch some gameplay footage first, I think and then I'll see if it runs on PJ64.
>>
>>4235275

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHSATDYODk

btw here's some game footage from Chougi Ranbu Hen so you can check out the background scenery if you wanna.
>>
>>4235214
If a game gets adapted to anime and people only know the anime because they are dumb Americans who never got the original, does that make it based on anime/manga?
>>
>>4235353
If an anime was adapted from a novelization, but only people who can't get greased BBs up their ass know about it, who the fuck gives a shit? That's right kiddos, the people who can't get a greased BB up their ass.
>>
File: Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png (129KB, 256x254px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png
129KB, 256x254px
This is one of my favorite PS games.
>>
File: gits ps1 (2).webm (3MB, 1278x974px) Image search: [Google]
gits ps1 (2).webm
3MB, 1278x974px
>>4236339
Fuckin A
>>
File: gits ps1.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
gits ps1.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>4236351
>>
>>4236264
You should expect people on 4chan to know their anime and people on /vr/ to know their games.
>>
>>4236501
not him but people just make mistakes all the time. I mean, if I actually had the time to go through all the footnotes and the history of every anime or game released I'd make less mistakes as well. so this is why having a community like this is an amazing thing because we can help each other gain a certain base of knowledge we can use to stay on the right page about stuff and then have "expertise" (if you can call it that) in these fields.
>>
>>4234553
I remember following the translation for this since I first owned a computer, which must have been around 12yos.

Man, what a ride that was, we were stuck with a partial translation of the first hour and so for so many years with no progress, then the guy that was working on it died, then someone else took over and it eventually came out about 8 years later. I remember playing it and beating it, it even had a bit of post game, it was quite worth it, as a Slayers fan.

Too bad I'll probably die of old age before anyone translates any of the PSX games.
>>
>>4237808
>>Too bad I'll probably die of old age before anyone translates any of the PSX games.
Or the PC98 game.
If you are a true fan you know what to do.
>>
>>4236339
>>4236351
>>4236364

I actually played it today. thanks for that suggestion. it's pretty good. reminds me a bit of Forsaken 64.
>>
The first console Gundam game, Mobile Suit Z Gundam: Hot Scramble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_z29pKHma0

Fun Fact: There were two versions of the game: the original release; and a special release of the central location test version, sometimes dubbed Final Version. Only 1000 copies of this second version were ever released, making it among the rarest video games in history.
>>
>>4242715
>making it among the rarest video games in history.

holy fuck, that sounds exciting!
>>
>>4242715
the 3D stages with the grounds look a bit like the Starfox game on Super Famicom. it looks more basic than that, however.
>>
File: White-dingo-emblem.jpg (76KB, 251x259px) Image search: [Google]
White-dingo-emblem.jpg
76KB, 251x259px
>>4242715
There needs to be more first person Gundam games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvYRzttAGFE
>>
File: gfs_6234_2_6.jpg (24KB, 318x286px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_6234_2_6.jpg
24KB, 318x286px
I wanna post about the GameBoy titles for Ranma 1/2 as well.

I wish there were translations for these. sadly, GB titles don't seem to get as much attention as graphically superior retro console titles. One day hopefully they will see an english fan translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2AaGF4BkEk

this is a Ranma sidescroller called
Ranma 1/2: Netsuretsu Kakutouhen.
>>
File: $_58.jpg (37KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
37KB, 640x445px
>>4242794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDP2qlYK3M

Some of these games would need that translation more direly than others, like "Ranma ½: Kakugeki Mondou!!". this one is basically a RPG but also a quiz game where NPCs ask you trivia questions about the TV series and then you fight them based on 10 moves you picked beforehand. it's still confusing to me though. so I'm not exactly sure what's really happening there but it looks very interesting.
>>
>>4242810
another pic of it with some battle related gameplay.
>>
File: pa.148307.1.jpg (97KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pa.148307.1.jpg
97KB, 640x640px
>>4242816
Ranma ½: Kakuren Bodesu Match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8QAvsbQX5Q

this one is exciting too. it's a maze-based game where you move around blocks and they say it's similar to The Adventures of Lolo.

the only reference that came to mind that it looks a bit like early Bomberman but then again the game principle is quite different from that. In the video, the guy also talks about how a Lupin III game was also made with the same engine way before. same game principle again.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (52KB, 1120x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52KB, 1120x720px
>>4242829
gameplay screenshot
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (225KB, 1600x959px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
225KB, 1600x959px
>>4242794
this was the cover and the contents for this one btw
>>
>>4242837
there was even a PC game originally for MSX and NEC PC-9800. it's a point and click adventure.
>>
>>4242842
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPTdL2twd7E

gameplay footage
>>
>>4242845
there are 15 Ranma 1/2 games in total and I haven't even talked about the PC Engine games, Mega-CD and Playstation releases.

you'd think that they'd all have fan translations by now considering how popular the anime/manga series is but I guess it's because emulation wasn't that approachable and wide-spread back then as it is now.
>>
File: dragon-half_.jpg (400KB, 545x477px) Image search: [Google]
dragon-half_.jpg
400KB, 545x477px
Dragon Half
Mink is my dragonfu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LK9_nKtEEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQkmR4rmNQ
>>
>>4242856
I just remembered I had the playstation Ranma fighting game, it was atrocious.
>>
File: SFCCover.jpg (232KB, 640x1153px) Image search: [Google]
SFCCover.jpg
232KB, 640x1153px
>>4232017
Ghost Sweeper Mikami is comfy and easy to finish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzOj6BgpdUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Q8qaMb0zs
>>
File: InuYasha_FFT_PSX_Cover.png (339KB, 395x393px) Image search: [Google]
InuYasha_FFT_PSX_Cover.png
339KB, 395x393px
>>4243041
Speaking of PS1 fighting games based on Rumiko Takahashi properties, pic related was a lot of fun.
>>
File: mom-gives-yohko.png (148KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
mom-gives-yohko.png
148KB, 650x500px
>>4232017
Devil Hunter Yohko.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzXdQNUjq2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--149SJN0Lk
>>
File: tumblr_op0yy9LI8h1qel76uo1_1280.jpg (125KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_op0yy9LI8h1qel76uo1_1280.jpg
125KB, 1080x1080px
>>4232017
>pico
you know... for kids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETR6ktU3FM
>>
>>4243063
I didn't even know that. Gotta check it out.
>>
>>4243041
OP here. I played it and it was indeed bad and full of loading screens. Gameplay was like early Virtua Fighter. But that's the only one was shit. The Super Nintendo fighting games are rather good.
>>
>>4243080
I think a lot of people missed out on it because it came out relatively late in the PS1's life cycle (2003). I remember seeing copies of it and the GTA classic trilogy in stores way after all the other PS1 games had been cleared out to make room for PS2 stuff.
>>
>>4243123
I just played the Inuyasha game. it's cool as fuck.
it seems rather short though but I'm gonna unlock all the characters first.

the cutscenes and the menus have a weird ratio for some reason and actual battle content and stuff runs normally in 4:3. maybe it's an emulation problem, I dunno.

but cool game regardless.
>>
>>4243041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzO5MAwcO0

I mean, engine-wise and physics-wise it's not so bad but what a lot of fans would say is that it lacks "soul" or "espirit".

the pre-fight dialogue looks autistic as fuck and I can see why some people might get turned off immediately but I'm gonna give it another try sooner or later.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.