[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultima V

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

Recently started this game. How do you guys make any money? If one of my party members is defeated, the only solution at hand is to suicide the whole party, but sooner than later i will run out of food, and random encounters are either too hard or easy but hard to spot.
>>
I went solo for a while.
>>
>>4231874
kill bridge trolls
>>
File: comfy.png (13KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
13KB, 385x385px
>>4231925
>>4232216
Thanks, i found out i could get crops, which solves one of my issues. Getting money is another issue, not strong enough to beat more than one troll without getting some of my pals killed.

This game is really comfy. At first i thought it would require more keys/knowledge that are actually needed.

Does it take too much to level up? I've been playing for ~2 days and still i'm on level 1.
>>
>>4232420
You didn't import from 4? I'd generally advise doing that since it's easier to get powerful there.
Plus it really adds to the game if you actually are the avatar returning to Britannia.
Beyond that I recommend visiting the shrines.
>>
File: comfy2.gif (15KB, 381x385px) Image search: [Google]
comfy2.gif
15KB, 381x385px
>>4232437
No, i have only played U7 I-II before (and UO too). I'm not really interested in early installments of Ultima, they look too archaic. I have some interest in U5 for its story and additions like day-night, schedules ...
>>
>>4232453
The story in 5-7 lives of revisiting things from 4.
With xu4 it shouldn't be too archaic.
http://xu4.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>4231874
The easiest way, if you don't want to cheat or steal, is to park your ass on one of the bridges between Britain and Paws and keep hitting space. You get a high chance of encountering trolls, which aren't too tough and usually drop gold.

Keep at it until you can buy a few magic axes, they're the best weapons in the game by far.

If you don't mind getting your karma in the toilet, break into LB's castle in the basement and keep stealing from the armory.

But I would second the other guy's recommendation. Either import from U4, or if you don't want to play it (although you should), use an editor to give yourself starting level of 3 and stats of 25 in everything.
>>
>>4232460
I don't have any issue running ultima in dosbox. I was talking about the interface, game difficulty, you know.
>>4232620
Stealing is not a problem. I have avoided it until now because i didn't want to break my keys, but maybe i obtain more money by this way.
>>
>>4232632
You can obtain a LOT of money that way. The castle armory chests re-set every time you leave and re-enter, and you can even sometimes get magic shields and other high levle items in them.

Be warned though, stealing like this WILL wreck your karma, which will have consequences down the line. You'll eventually need to get it back up, which will cost a lot of gold at the shrines. But it will make the initial survival phase much easier.
>>
>>4232632
>I was talking about the interface
That's one of the big changes in xu4, they add a lot of functions so for instance you no longer have to mix spells one at a time. You can also adjust the difficulty.

>Stealing is not a problem
Stealing is wrong. As the avatar you have to act as an example for the population.
>>
>>4232642
Is there an option of choosing dialogue topics instead of a text parser, like in the master system version?
>>
>>4232651
Not that I know. Text coloration does something different.
Project is pretty much dead so chances that it's added seem slim.

nuvie did it for Ultima 6 though.
>>
>>4232420
>i found out i could get crops
IIRC stealing crops lowers your karma which prevents you from advancing the plot in the late game.
>>
>>4232632
It sounds to me like you've lost an eighth.
>>
So i have a couple of questions:
-What's the advantage of riding a horse?
-Do i lose experience everytime i die?
>>
>>4234368
Horses let you move faster, meaning you use less food and you can outmaneuver enemies.

The experience you lose depends on your karma. If you are a true avatar you will lose next to nothing but if you are a thieving scoundrel you will lose everything.
>>
Take a moongate to Jhelom and search the tree trunk for a free magic axe.
Keep your party small at the start and buy a bow or crossbow. Stay close to Yew or a city and run around a bit slaying orcs and stuff. Raid their corpses and sell the goods. When a dragon or something comes along run into the city. You'll be rolling in cash in no time!
Don't bother with horses. There's some magic keys ina tree in Yew. Nab them, go to Brits castle a and grab his carpet from the top room. Its better than a horse!!

Good choice on a great game anon. I love U5!
>>
Loved this game. I really enjoy the initial survival phase. It really felt like I was surviving in a harsh world ruled by a tyrant.
>>
What version is the definitive version?
>>
>>4234469
IBM-DOS with music patch.
PC98 and x68000 have higher resolution graphics but they're in Japanese and don't fit into the 4->5->6 progression.
>>
File: ships.png (18KB, 643x388px) Image search: [Google]
ships.png
18KB, 643x388px
>>4234382
>if you are a thieving scoundrel
Gee i wonder who is behind this crown. Will i lose levels too?

I recently bought the ships, so everything is going well now. I read somewhere that there are actual seasons, can i see it snow?

Also, is there a cheaper way to resurrect my characters?
>>
>>4235195
Once you reach level 8 you can cast resurrect.
Occasionally a friendly ghost might appear in your sleep and heal your party to full health.
There are no seasons in 5. There is however a time limit so don't waste too much time.
You will lose levels if you lose experience. Some players use that to their advantage since you don't lose stats but it's a cumbersome road to take.
>>
>>4235342
>Once you reach level 8
Man, this game is hard. For every 10 fights i will lose one character, but not every fight reports me money, which means it is not possible to resurrect your character through the means of money. But, if i lose all my party, i will lose my experience, condemning me to be a perma virgin lvl1.

I read the thing about seasons here http://www.filfre.net/2016/02/ultima-v/ and i'm inclined to agree because i see some snow in the tileset (bottom right)

I'm inclined to edit my characters as someone suggested before.
>>
>>4237148
>But, if i lose all my party, i will lose my experience, condemning me to be a perma virgin lvl1.
That's what you get for stealing. Try doing something good for a change.
You might want to restart completely, possibly importing from Ultima 4 to gain the starting advantage.
>>
>>4237148
While I generally second >>4237175's recommendations, if you do want to steal, go all the way. Your karma can't drop below 0, and you can get lots of goodies in the Castle's armories. Get enough cash to buy magic axes in Yew (2000 a pop, IIRC, if you have 0 Karma), and if you even have one, you should be able to take almost any number of trolls on the bridges.
>>
>>4235342
There is no time limit in 5 that I'm aware of. You can waste as much time as you like. As for cheating/stealing, that's half the fun!

Go to minoc and get some skeleton keys. Then go back to Castle Britain. In the basement there's a guy who has a bed down there. He wants to join your party. He's a SPY! KILL HIM IN HIS SLEEP. Then go around the corner and unlock a door with the skeleton key. Surprise! Chests with loads of loot of ALL KINDS! When you've looted, go back and sleep in the guy's bed for an hour. Hey, door is still unlocked and chests have re-spawned! Repeat until you have enough of everything. Then go get a magic carpet or three (every time you leave the castle it re-spawns).

If you want experience, yes get magic axes for everyone along with invisibility rings. Then start attacking guards. You will one shot them. Yes, you'll have to pay a bit to get your karma back up, but you'll have what you need.

You're welcome.
>>
>>4237242
Lord British will starve if you wait too long to rescue him.
>>
>>4237249
I've never heard of that one. And I played for a long, long, long, long time just running around.
>>
>>4237251
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Killing_Lord_British
Not him, but it is mentioned in the Codex of Editable Wisdom. But I've never hung around for in game years to test it myself.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.