[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had to pick between Resident Evil 1 and Silent Hill 1,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

File: cocks.jpg (103KB, 900x496px) Image search: [Google]
cocks.jpg
103KB, 900x496px
If you had to pick between Resident Evil 1 and Silent Hill 1, which would you have more fun with? Why?
>>
More fun definitely Resident Evil. Silent Hill is the more atmospheric game.
>>
your mom
>>
>>4230995
Silent Hill for this reason, along with the psychological aspect. I like to live in the game rather than just play it, and something like Silent Hill makes that easy.
>>
horror games aren't really meant to be fun imo, they're supposed to make you feel unwelcome, oppressed, streesed out, uncomfortable, scared - they're inherently anti-fun (the good ones at least, like SH, Fatal Frame, Forbidden Siren, Hellnight, Enemy Zero etc.)
so while shooting zombies with a magnum and seeing their heads explode is more fun, the silent hill games are better horror games for the previously mentioned reasons
>>
>>4230994
>If you had to pick between Resident Evil 1 and Silent Hill 1, which would you have more fun with? Why?
I pick RE like I did in 1999.
Now I own every SH game. Except for SH1.
>>
>>4230994
Silent Hill 1. It's deeper, has replay value(5 different endings). Resident Evil 1 is too short.
>>
Silent Hill 1. I've tried many RE games from PS1 to PS3/360/Wii but only Revelations got my attention.
>>
>>4230994
RE because scifi > paranormal voodoo
>>
>>4230994
Silent Hill because REmake is a thing and there's no reason to play RE 1.
>>
>>4230994
id say silent hill 1 now because its more immersive but younger me would have probably disagreed
>>
>>4231476

spotted the millennial
>>
Neither. I like both of them because they are both different games. Just played though the Jan. Sample of Biohazard and I have to say, the item placements were better, I liked that you couldn't combine ammo so you had to be more strategic with what you carried, but the difficultly is ridiclously easy, especially for Jill as she gets less monsters and kills them in less shots than Chris. Oh and since it's a debug version, you are invincible, so there is no real challenge, not like I get hit while playing the normal game though.
>>
>>4230994

This was actually my preferred drug.
Obscure as hell, but I rather liked the Resident Evil In Feudal Japan approach.
>>
SH because paranormal voodoo > scifi
>>
>>4230994
Silent Hill 1 has aged so much better its not even funny. Both are good though
>>
>>4231524
Unless you're 13 or 40+ you're a millennial too.
>>
>>4230995

Silent Hill is fun in next fear mode though
>>
Played both to death, although RE1 a bit more.

I'll say Resident Evil.
It has a much higher skill cap too. Getting good at Silent Hill is easy.
RE1's design is much tighter, deeper and well thought as well.

In terms of gameplay, the only thing SH1 has over RE is it has better puzzles, sadly that stops to matter once you know them.
>>
>>4230994
a shirt or pants problem. the games are too different to compare. the SH games are minimalistic, and revolve around small numbers of well written characters. RE feels like a pynchon novel in comparison, with a bloated character gallery and bigger than life corporate conspiracies.
>>
>>4231960
should i play this or onimusha
>>
>>4230994
funny how both series were ruined by people who didnt get the appeal of the originals and they all pretty much died after 4.
its a shame we'll probably never see anymore traditional survival horror games. even if we did they'd probably sell worse than they did originally.
i tried playing resi 2 with a friend and he just didnt get how it played so he just watched me play it instead, we had fun tho, we had a great laugh about the puzzles and how you had to push 2 statues to get a gem instead of just shooting it
>>
>>4232094
Nobody puts the entry to millennials in 1987 you daft cunt. The absolute earliest reputable publications put it at was 1982 ie under 18 as of Jan 1 2000.
>>
>>4233313
both
>>
>>4233339
>Nobody puts the entry to millennials in 1987 you daft cunt.
You meant 1977, right? Threw me off for a second. While they may be in the numerical minority both MetLife and Nielsen are incredibly big names behind using that starting date, and many publications lean towards placing the end date around 95~97, though there's a few that push it to 2000 and even a little bit beyond.

You seem to be trying to claim the intellectual high ground on a shaky time frame that only exists in theory when there's a lot of theories on it to go around. All >>4232094 did was take the extremes of the starting and ending dates which is technically more accurate than the one you used because there is no true consensus on a proper time frame for people being born a "millennial".
>>
Both are great, but Silent Hill has a special place in my heart. The stories in them are great, while RE is just "badguy did bad shit and now there's zombies" plus the RE puzzles are often nonsensical and unfitting. Like what the hell? Hidden buttons, moving bookcases and diamonds as keys in the town hall and police station?

SH's puzzles make some sense because the entire world is just a manifestation of a person's subconscious turned into a personal nightmare.

Resident Evils scared when I was a kid. Silent Hill still scares me occasionally and I'm 27 years old. They also often have great emotional impact. The stories are never about good vs bad, but just grey zones of people dealing with bad shit in a really bad way. Alessa's story is a bit different, but even she is just a victim in the end.
>>
>>4233467

This. Even the new RE is just as Japanesey, as in weird and eccentric as fuck.

The latest RE had so much Southern hillbilly appeal to it, it tried so hard to be an FPS horror like Amnesia or Outlast. But it's still Japanese weird.

It tries to be realistic, but the controls is still janky, it controls like the old RE, just in FPS mode. The villains are unrealistic as fuck. The hit animation and hit register is as your typical Jap console games.

The puzzles are stupid and again, unrealistic. Who would setup their gates and doors and lock it with crazy gimmicky contraption in their homes?

It's alright if the game stays like the old RE where it's leaning a bit more into the surreal fantasy RP world. But when it's packaged into a realistic looking FPS game, akin to Outlast, it lost the magic.
Outlast has a crazy plot too, but at least the overall controls are pretty realistic and satisfying.
>>
>>4231524
I'm probably older than you and have better taste apparently.
>>
Non-retro RE > Non-retro SH > Retro SH > Retro RE
>>
Silent Hill, because the original Resident Evil I found to be incredibly clunky and weak even compared to RE2 and 3.
>>
>>4230994
resident evil

silent hill is aids

>>4230996
lol u really thought u had that first post there didnt ya faget? well sorry youre btfo'd lmao
>>
>>4233893
>silent hill is aids
Only to pussies who are too afraid of the game. Also Resident Evil became cancer since RE4.
>>
>>4233749
I don't think you understand how those symbols work.
>>
>>4233921
>Only to pussies who are too afraid of the game
lmao. nice projection faggot, I do not get scared of fucking video games.
>>
>>4231960
thanks for telling us what this "obscure as hell" game is
>>
>>4233942
I find that very unlikely. A pussy faggot like you would be too scared to play this game at night.
>>
>>4234794
Welcome!
It's Soul of the Samurai, in case your RGIS isn't working or you're too lazy to.
>>
>>4231280
RE has 10 endings...
>>
>>4230994
This is a pretty tough one. I think what >>4230995
said is pretty much spot on. Silent Hill 1 feels like the longer and bigger game though if I'm not mistaken here. The lack of the quick turn in RE1 kind of sucks though. That was a great addition they added in 3.

As much as I love both games I think I would have to go with Silent Hill 1. It is definitely a tough decision though since SH 1-4 and RE 1-4 are so amazing and imo went downhill after their fourth games. Silent Hill 1 is way spookier than RE1 and SH1 is even the scariest in the series to.
>>
even tho I've only played silent hill 1 for 30 minutes over a friends house last year, it was great, the atmosphere and spookiness was on point and I liked the areas I was in. Definitely going to buy it at some point for ps1. But resident eviiiiiiiiiil is the classic. 2 distinct campaigns with 3 or 4 different ending to each and a bunch of unlockables for its time in 1996. It's a game that you can keep replaying. I have silent hill 2 and felt that's its a one and done kind of game
>>
>>4234794
It's garbage, though.
>>
>>4233873
you're implying 2 and 3 were more clunky which doesn't make sense.
>>
>>4235318
10 different endings? I only discovered 3.
>>
>>4231280
I know both SH1 and RE1 almost just as much, and both are just as long.

As for "replay value" and endings, SH1's system is only a travesty of RE1's system. In SH1, there is barely anything that changes depending on what you do besides the ending.
In RE, you can have many different scenes trigger or not depending on what you do and how you play. Even if you take a single character, RE1 still has more different things that can happen, and then it has 2 characters.

People, and especially SH fans, don't seem to realize how influencial RE's approach was, both in terms of "movie" approach, and in terms of how the player and his actions can influence the story, cutscenes, different events, etc
SH1's system in that regard is only RE1's but downgraded, while being done 3 years later.
>>
Depends, is it REmake or OG Re1?
>>
>>4237006
The thing SH1 has over RE1 is the scare factor. It's way creepier and disturbing. Where as with RE1, I was quite comfortable.
>>
>>4230994
Silent Hill
>Better puzzles better melee combat better conclusion, better multiple endings, better voice acting (but not by much)

PLUS!
A fucking first person camera
>>
>SH 1 - 4 > RE 1 - 3 > RE everything till 4 > RE & SH afterwards
>>
>>4230994
Here's the objective rankings
SH1>RE2=RE3>RE1>SH3>SH2>RE GS Heroes Never Die>Outbreak 1 and 2>REmake>Gaiden>RE CV>SH4>RE GS>RE GS Code Veronica>everything else
>>
>>4238951
>SH 3 over 2
>Gun Survivor that low
>SH4 that low
>>
>>4239378
>SH3 over 2
I find 3 to be more replayable, as SH2's main draw is the mystery about James and the other people in town. Once you figure that out, you realize the areas you're running through are mostly dull and only have about 5 rooms that matter.
>Gun Survivor that low
I love the lore and some of the story in Gun Survivor, but it just isn't that fun. Gun Survivor 4 on the other hand, I fucking love.
>SH4 that low
Making me replay the game isn't fun
>>
>>4238951
>Gaiden over CV
You're gonna have to explain that one for me.
Also I never played any Outbreaks but was curious about them for years. Are they still fun in offline mode?
>>
>>4240216
>You're gonna have to explain that one for me.
Gaiden was fun and interesting. CV stopped being interesting after Rockfort and only got interesting for a second when Wesker got his shit kicked in.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.