[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux and Gamepads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: gamepads.jpg (54KB, 640x383px) Image search: [Google]
gamepads.jpg
54KB, 640x383px
Im looking for a good controller for linux. I have a SnakebytePS3 and a logitech uf13a.

The snakebyte is nice but i cant get xubuntu 17.04 to recognize it. I tried sixad and it still doesnt see it plugged in. It works fine on Windows 10.

The logitech works but the controller, mainly the sticks, is ass. The housing around the sticks are square so hitting diagonals is fine but its hard to hit the left right up and down precisely without it sliding to a diagonal. The dpad isnt that great either.

I want something nice to handle PSX and up games and that works with minimal tinkering. Wired is fine.

I thought about just grabbing a f310 but how much better is it than the uf13a i have?
>>
Gaming on Linux? To me sounds even more niche then lowspec gaming. Godspeed brave pioneer!!
>>
Shit. I meant to put that this is mainly for emulating. I will probably get something more specific to each console later but to only have one at first i would like it to be good for all consoles from arcade to nes to psx and some retro pc games that are playable with a gamepad.

Linux plays all this fine. Now modern pc games is another story.
>>
>Linux and Game
You fucked up
>>
>>4228057
Not really. I dont really play modern games i have a windows 10 desktop for that when i do and linux handles emulation fine. Most older PC games will run through wine or dosbox.

I do understand that you need to be able to read and follow directions.... so for a lot of hipsters thats a dealbreaker.
>>
>>4227982
Just get a legit PS3, PS4, or XBone controller and plug then in via USB. Should be seen by default with no additional fucking. Most generic USB pads should be seen as well if you use SNES to USB adapters or something.
>>
Also googling "snakebyte ps3 Linux" brought up a thread on kodi TV related to a script that removes and adds some modules that the unofficial snakebyte fucks up vs a normal ps3 controller which has no problems. Try the script and maybe it will work.
>>
>>4228214
In that same thread they also mention that it should work of you press the PS button a few times without the script, so try that after plugging it in
>>
>>4227982
orignal PS3 controller when hooked via cable and after pressing the PS button gets automatically detected in bunsenlabs (debian based, on debian 8). I would assume that then most distros based on debian should find is out of the box without any config.
>>
>>4228226
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say to OP here
>>4228218 but I goofed.
>>
>>4227982
Never had issues with controller support but I'm on Arch so I always have the latest stable kernel. I get having a LTS kernel for server but not desktops.
>>
>>4228226
>>4228245
So basically its probably just snakebyte dicking everything up. Its a shame because the snakebyte actually seems halfway decent.
>>
>>4227982
Xubuntu user here, it has automatically recognized everything I've thrown at it so far.
Does jstest-gtk not show anything?
>>
>>4228425
No. I plug it in and wait. Then hit refresh several times and nothing. One time something popped up but locked up when i tried to select it.

Lspci isnt showing it either. I thought it might be dead but it works on my windows 10 desktop. My logitech works fine on my xubuntu pc so i dont think its anything to do with the OS or the computer hardware.
>>
>>4228446
I really don't see why you're having issues. PS3 controllers are direct input so pretty much anything will detect them like so except windows because muh xinput
>>
>>4227998
>>4228057
t. retards
>>
File: 1413784376051.jpg (986KB, 1200x3700px) Image search: [Google]
1413784376051.jpg
986KB, 1200x3700px
>>4228446
I guess you just have to buy a new controller. Official controllers would be your best bet, and there's plenty of help for those; Buffalo and 8bitdo controllers are also pretty good and should work out of the box.
>>
>>4228057
>>4227998
Microshills? On MY /vr/?
>>
>>4228513
It's more likely than you think!
>>
>>4228495
Thanks for the image. Thats exactly what im looking for.
>>
>>4228495
>tfw you un-ironically love your og xbox controller
that said I do use my ds3 for most things
>>
File: 2-2-kirby-transparent-thumb.png (48KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
2-2-kirby-transparent-thumb.png
48KB, 200x200px
>>4228865
No problem, I'm always happy to help fellow Linux friends.
>>
ds3 on mint works out of the box

is the steam controller shit?
>>
>>4228495
What about the Switch Pro Controller?
>>
>>4228873
I loved the Duke too but I actually do have enormous hands.
>>
>>4228176
hows that dreamcast emulation coming along? oh wait
>>
>>4229902
i'm not quite sure what the point of this post is. are you trying to imply it's not shit on other platforms outside of linux? because dreamcast emulation is pretty trash regardless of the platform.
>>
>>4229967
um ya its fine on demul
>>
>>4229972
nah demul sucks dick too
>>
>>4228226
Yes, the standard PS3 controller has a driver in the Linux kernel so it will Just Work™ out of the box on any distro. It is a very good choice, perhaps the best.
>>
>>4229976
nope
>>
File: why_0.jpg (11KB, 150x337px) Image search: [Google]
why_0.jpg
11KB, 150x337px
>>4229980
"i disagree"
>>
>>4227982
Any decent recognizable controller works just fine, honestly. I only ever have problems with cheap Chinese shit and that even extends to Android. I personally stick to wired controllers though.
>>
>>4230086
Wireless (BT) controllers don't even work on Android. They have significant input lag. Android devices have a shit Bluetooth receiver.
>>
>>4231993
All of them?
I use an 8bitdo pad on my S8 and a usb-c to HDMI cable, seems to work ok using game mode on my tv.
>>
>>4232009
Bluetooth ones, yes. You can wire them and they'll work fine, but they're shit over Bluetooth. I tried the PS controller, Xbox and Switch Pro controller. All were bad, switch being the worst and detecting less than half inputs.
Although my phones have v4.0 and v4.2 Bluetooth, while S8 has 5.0. It's possible that this makes a difference since BT5 has 2x speed and a much better range.
>>
Dualshock 3 works out of the box on Arch
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.